why are nursing schools separate from med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katetlo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This just hit me today. I was on Ohio State Med Centers web site and they have the school of public health and school of allied medical professions and some thing else but not the college of nursing. Why are nursing schools separate from Med Schools or other medical programs??

Members don't see this ad.

Academic programs at different universities often use names in different ways....one place may have a "College of Nursing" (eg Arizona State), or another "School of Nursing" (eg University of Michigan).

It's been a while since I took a class on the history of US health care, but nursing in the US had a long period of being basically cheap labor for hospitals. Hospitals would offer free training and a diploma after a given amount of time (say 2-3 years) in return for essentially free labor in the hospital.

Nowadays, obviously, nursing is a highly techincal, scientific, and intellectually demanding field requiring training that only a genuine academic setting can provide. In that regard, pray that your nursing program doesn't get associated with a medical school :)

Generally speaking nursing and medicine are two different disciplines so they do not associate with each other. If you look at nursing history we started out as just assisting the doctor, carrying out orders, etc... and nursing wasn't seen as it's own entity with it's own theories, knowledge, etc. Of course we have come a long way since then (thank goodness). I wish that we had more collaboration with medicine in our education and work environment. What drew me to nursing was the medical aspects of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
because nurses are special too ;)

Up here the programs, Bsn and medicine, are all together in the same building albeit seperate from the rest of the University. Our campus is attached to the hospitals. There is no escape. :scared:
We learn to all work together right from school which aids in the rapport at work.