Why are some AOA residencies are longer than ACGME residencies??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to some of my research:

General Surg is 5 years ACGME, 6 years AOA.

Emergency medicine is 3 years ACGME, 4 years AOA.

Why is this?
Will it change upon the merger?

Members don't see this ad.

Why is this?

I'm not exactly sure, but I'm just speculating that it might be due to some more advanced OMT techniques that you would learn that might take a while to master. For example, I have heard of one technique of OMT that will close up a wound nearly instantaneously. This is obviously a great tool for surgery (which can overlap with EM). However, it takes some time to learn and perfect.

If it changes upon the merger, it will likely be to change all the ACGME residencies and lengthen them in order to include powerful OMT techniques such as the one I just mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm pretty sure AOA gen surg is 5 years

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not exactly sure, but I'm just speculating that it might be due to some more advanced OMT techniques that you would learn that might take a while to master. For example, I have heard of one technique of OMT that will close up a wound nearly instantaneously. This is obviously a great tool for surgery (which can overlap with EM). However, it takes some time to learn and perfect.

If it changes upon the merger, it will likely be to change all the ACGME residencies and lengthen them in order to include powerful OMT techniques such as the one I just mentioned.

Lol I just got your handel. I guess I'm pretty dense.

Why is this?
Gen surg is 5. I really don't know the reason for the EM.

I heard from a fourth year currently applying to EM that programs moving from AOA to ACGME will switch from 4 years to 3 years for new residents.

You could probably call or email them yourself if you are applying to EM and would like to know.

EM is four because I think you do an intern year. Might be wrong though.

I believe the AOA has more requirements in general medicine than the ACGME for some specialties. For example, I've seen some AOA peds residencies that have 1st year residents rotate through IM and OB... I assume this is to meet AOA intern year requirements. These residencies are still just three years thiugh, so I don't know. You'd think EM wouldn't have a hard time fitting general medicine into its curriculum, especially compared to peds. So who knows?

AOA Gen Surgery is 5 years. Example: http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...program_id=339160&hosp_id=339159&returnPage=1
Some ACGME EM programs are 4 years -- mainly on the coast and big academic place. They know they will attract applicants and get away with it based on their names. Whereas, more programs are 3 years.
After the merge, for EM, current AOA programs can choose their training length to be either 3 or 4 years, depends on the acuity and how the PDs feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
EM programs can be either 3 yrs or 4 yrs depending on the program. Currently, 25% of ACGME EM programs are 4 yrs, while 75% are 3 yrs. AOA programs are all 4 yrs. It's just the way they were set up.

Gen surg is 5. I really don't know the reason for the EM.

This.

I heard from a fourth year currently applying to EM that programs moving from AOA to ACGME will switch from 4 years to 3 years for new residents.

You could probably call or email them yourself if you are applying to EM and would like to know.

This really varies by program. I've heard of one program doing this, while others won't. It may have to do with the number of encounters/procedures required by the RC. EM programs in small hospitals may have a harder time reaching that requirement in 3yrs.

In AOA EM, all of the programs have you do a traditionally-styled intern year where you do various off-service rotations that may or may not relevant to your future practice. In contrast, the 4 year ACGME programs "tend" to keep things EM-relevant (SICU vs gen surg rotations, for example). Just another opportunity for applicants to be aware of what they're getting vs giving up when applying for AOA vs ACGME.

Are you my OMM professor? Cause I heard you can diagnosis people over the phone and I wonder if that works for the interwebz too...