Why are some schools receptive to letters of intent and why are some not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VaioSson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this topic has been discussed at length and that there is the prevailing opinion that letters of interest/intent are mostly disregarded by schools. In my opinion, the arguments for this stance are completely valid and make sense, but my question is...

Why do some schools encourage or even "require" a letter of interest/intent in order to be accepted?

I can only think of two possible reasons for this could be:

1) they just want to appear like they care about their applicants (and don't actually care about these letters), and

2) they actually matter (even if ever so slightly...).

Now, in the latter case, my question is, why don't schools just assume that candidates who are waitlisted at a particular school are still "interested". Why would they go down their list of waitlistees and pay extra attention to the ones who have expressed their interest through such a letter of intent/interest?

The only possible reason I can think of is that they want to maximize their yield and presumably those candidates who submit such a letter of intent/interest will naturally be more inclined to attend. (A secondary reason could be that enthusiasm for their school is important.)

Presumably, yield matters for the school. It probably matters because it influences their perceived selectivity and therefore their ranking.

If it's true that yield (even ever so slightly) affects their ranking, then...

Shouldn't all schools who care about their ranking then encourage "sincere" letters of intent/interest?

After all, one must ask oneself why a school would be motivated to be so receptive to something that is seemingly meaningless!

Members don't see this ad.

Most aren't and for those that do they aren't taken seriously. Schools know that applicants do whatever they can to maximize their chances, and have no doubt been burned by students who played this game, and wised up. I know as an applicant you want to do all you can to better your chances of being accepted, but it's not worth the effort, worry, and stress to do a letter of intent, unless you have multiple strong acceptances.

Most aren't and for those that do they aren't taken seriously. Schools know that applicants do whatever they can to maximize their chances, and have no doubt been burned by students who played this game, and wised up. I know as an applicant you want to do all you can to better your chances of being accepted, but it's not worth the effort, worry, and stress to do a letter of intent, unless you have multiple strong acceptances.

If they're not taken seriously, then why do some schools boast that they accept them at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
If they're not taken seriously, then why do some schools boast that they accept them at all?

I'd guess it's for show. Kind of like how every school states they do holistic review of your entire application when often-times that isn't the case.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd guess it's for show. Kind of like how every school states they do holistic review of your entire application when often-times that isn't the case.

Yes, but by claiming to be receptive to such letters, these schools are welcoming needless emails to their offices everyday!

Why schools WANT a letter of intent?...

It's just a useless thing that wastes adcoms time with desperate applicants.

Any school that is not USC. WashU might like it, but I forget.

I feel like the weight of the letter of intent is inversely proportional to the prestige of the school. Top 20 schools know you are interested in their program, and would likely give little to no weight. Conversely, a state school may give more weight, particularly if you are an OOS applicant. Often overlooked, the competitiveness of an applicant may also play a significant role...if you are 5+ LizzyM points above the average of a particular program you send a letter of intent to, I think it would be taken more seriously. Of course, this is all speculation, and nobody knows the committees' preferences at each school.