Why are there so few DOs in Michigan Allopathic Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceusina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at residency programs in Michigan (I'm from Michigan, but attending medical school out of state... I haven't lived in Michigan in 10+ years, but I'm considering moving back) and a see a severe lack of osteopathic graduates in allopathic residencies in Michigan. Is it because there are so many osteopathic residencies that most DOs forgo the allopathic match for the "safer" DO match? Is Michigan, in general, anti-DOs in allopathic programs? I've stumbled across many programs with 50% or more IMGs, but zero DOs. Someone help me understand!

Members don't see this ad.

There are lots of good osteopathic programs in Michigan

Well, there is Resolution 42, and I've heard that DO programs in Michigan are solid.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would DOs in Michigan want to go through the extra effort of applying to another match when there are a ton of good DO residencies in that state? It's not anti-DO bias, it's self-selection.

Reactions: 1 users
MSUCOM has a 40-hospitals, and 2,000 residency spots in Michigan. Most are dual-accredited. Take a guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'm kind of jealous my home state does not have as many DO residency slots...Michigan has developed GME and residency programs very successfully! If only states with bigger cities or suburbs followed instead of the random new rural programs AOA makes. Wouldn't you want training in a bigger place with more pathology? I get that they are trying to recruit doctors to those areas but still..