Why are we all so worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgporter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just contemplating some of the numbers AAMC provides. There are approximately 32,000 people who apply each year. That is a lot of applicants, however there are about 16,000 seats available. Doesn't that mean that about 50% of us should be accepted. So why does getting accepted to medical school seem so difficult?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by rgporter
I was just contemplating some of the numbers AAMC provides. There are approximately 32,000 people who apply each year. That is a lot of applicants, however there are about 16,000 seats available. Doesn't that mean that about 50% of us should be accepted. So why does getting accepted to medical school seem so difficult?

Because not every applicant applies to every medical school, and that the subset of schools most applicants apply to (their top choices) tend to have low acceptance percentages.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard it is up to like 40,000 this year. Don't quote me on this though.

because premeds are whiney crybabies! Shoot, thats already been said...

because premeds are prestige hungry and money driven. most people on this board are not concerned about getting in but WHERE they get in.... and don't say you care that much about school X, school X just always happens to be the "most competitive/prestigious" according to USNews etc.

Did someone say whiny cry babies yet? LOL :)

Also we have to remember what percentage of those accepted into medical schools are those that get accepted straight out of their undergraduate university? Okay.. well, at least how many GUYS get accepted straight out of undergrad? Most guys I know that aren't foreign trained are in their mid twenties when they go to medschool and that's usually after a masters, the army or a post-bacc program.

I wonder what the percentage breakdown is for second and third time applicants?

Also, a big worry for premeds is what the heck are you going to do for the next year or so if you're not? Get a job? Go do a masters? Post-bacc? Try an offshore medical school? It's a frightening thought, especially if you're a biology major. What are you going to do with a bio degree? Work as a lab tech for near minimum wage without overtime pay when you KNOW you'll be working around the clock over backbreaking work and probably not even get an authorship either?

Originally posted by TTSD
Also, a big worry for premeds is what the heck are you going to do for the next year or so if you're not? ...especially if you're a biology major. What are you going to do with a bio degree? Work as a lab tech for near minimum wage without overtime pay when you KNOW you'll be working around the clock over backbreaking work and probably not even get an authorship either?

You just described the last three years of my life.:laugh:

If you ever do find yourself in that position, avoid research labs, the sweatshops of laboratory medicine. If you can get a job in a hospital lab, if not look for a large reference laboratory like Quest or Lab One. I work for ARUP laboratories, the pay is decent and the benefits are very good. They do keep us permanently understaffed though and we do work a lot of overtime. On the other hand, I work for two pathologists, and one of them wrote an outstanding LOR for me. Plus I get to talk to all the Path residents who come through the lab, it's really helping me gain some perspective on the whole proccess.

If you ever do find yourself in that position, avoid research labs, the sweatshops of laboratory medicine.

I disagree. Hospital reference labs are sweatshops-assembly line work. Same thing over and over. If you like to use your brain, choose research, and choose an investigator wisely.

Originally posted by bullsI
I disagree. Hospital reference labs are sweatshops-assembly line work. Same thing over and over. If you like to use your brain, choose research, and choose an investigator wisely.

Actually I wasn't refering to the level of complexity, I think you can do well in both kinds of labs. I was mostly refering to compensation, since that was the focus of the question I was trying to answer. I make a lot more in a reference lab than I could in research. In addition I am a part of someones medical treatment. I may do the same thing every day, but it is medically necessary, and I feel good about doing it.
When I looked into research labs, pay was about $8/hr. I'm not saying you can't have a good experience in research, I just think it is very hard to support yourself on what they are willing to pay.

When I looked into research labs, pay was about $8/hr.

Holy hell, are you kidding me?!? I made $8.50/hr as an UNDERGRAD. I'm making twice that with a bachelors......man, I had no idea it was that bad in some places...:confused:

When I looked into research labs, pay was about $8/hr.

Guess you didn't look hard enough.

Originally posted by bullsI
Guess you didn't look hard enough.

This argument has become a silly thing. Have your opinion, I will keep mine.