Why aren't benzodiazepines taken seriously in this country?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birchswing

Non-medical
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned in passing before that I am tapering off of benzodiazepines now. I spent many years thinking that I should taper but my anxiety level made me so non-functional that I thought I couldn't handle withdrawal. I didn't know that I was probably already in withdrawal which is separate but related to tapering.

I've been a member of benzobuddies.org for a couple of weeks now. I read things that make my heart break. There are over 15,000 members on there. They are all people helping each other get through one of the toughest things you can do on the face of this earth.

There are no PSAs about benzodiazepines. No 12 step groups. Really nothing that can be done clinically except hope you have a doctor who knows how to manage a withdrawal, which is not easily found.

Prescriptions for benzodiazepines have greatly increased in the US since 2000s.

The UK is actually making good efforts to clamp down on bad prescriptions of benzos.

I'm one of the people who was told in high school that I would be on this for life. You're an anxious person. Anxious people take anti-anxiety medication.

But we've known since the 1970s that these medications cause more harm than benefit after 4-6 weeks of use.

Why does nothing happen to the psychiatrists who mis-prescribe these drugs indefinitely and who give no indication that the drugs are addictive? I don't think anything could be done. Are there any standards or rules against it?

Benzodiazepine addicts from what I have seen on the forum I now belong to are like nothing else. They are tenacious. They fight. They are resourceful. But they are often hopeless, and even after a complete taper are in suffering.

When I see all the threads over there, all the support. all the knowledge beings shared, it makes me wish that the community of psychiatrists knew what these people are going through.

I think of people who are court-ordered to get help for substance abuse and placed into treatment programs. Some benzo addicts can't even find help when they're crying out for it. I see stories of patients whose doctors won't do crosstapers and who have no knowledge of how to manage a taper. It's very disheartening.

I thought I was well researched on the subject, but I keep learning new information on benzodiazepines--granted much of it anecdotal--but I think the greatest source of information we could find at this point are from people like me and thousands others dealing with this. And it feels like that information isn't being gathered. I read studies about the effects of benzodiazepines, and it seems they were mostly carried out in the 1970s and not much has been done since then to 1) quantify the harm and 2) find treatment for people who are in withdrawal states both before, during, and after tapering.

What would it take for this to be on the national radar? What would it take to do a simple MRI study on long-term benzodiazepine patients for God's sake? As far as I can tell, the only research into brain damage was in the 1970s before MRIs.

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, its mostly Family/IM docs that have inappropriate benzo prescribing techniques. Its not their fault, its just the training is not really heavy in that area for them. Many times, I have gotten patients(very old and young) that were started on benzos and their PCP starts a them on a downhill spiral as their benzos are increased. Then they come to a psychiatrist that has to clean up the mess. Again, I'm not blaming anyone for being a bad physician, but I believe that Family/IM docs sometimes prescribe meds too far outside of their scope which effects the patient; but sometimes the PCP is the only physician within miles and they don't have a choice. Point: need more psychiatrists to fix the benzo problem

Reactions: 2 users
From my experience, its mostly Family/IM docs that have inappropriate benzo prescribing techniques. Its not their fault, its just the training is not really heavy in that area for them. Many times, I have gotten patients(very old and young) that were started on benzos and their PCP starts a them on a downhill spiral as their benzos are increased. Then they come to a psychiatrist that has to clean up the mess. Again, I'm not blaming anyone for being a bad physician, but I believe that Family/IM docs sometimes prescribe meds too far outside of their scope which effects the patient; but sometimes the PCP is the only physician within miles and they don't have a choice. Point: need more psychiatrists to fix the benzo problem

In my experience that wasn't the case, but I don't know based on the postings on benzobuddies who their original prescribers wer either. Would be interesting to find out. But whether it's a PCP or a psychiatrist, it seems like there should be up to date prescribing guidelines across the board. Some sort of checks on it—because no matter who is prescribing it, the prescriptions have gone up, which is rather incredible (in a bad way). That is according to this: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...he-troubling-facts-risks-and-history-minor-tr

That article is about brain damage, but it does mention that prescriptions went up from 2002-2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm more of a fan of referencing organizations that include psychiatrists as psychotropic medication management is done mostly by us and not psychologists. Not trying to minimize your link though, its informative. Here are a few pdf files. I have uploaded files discussing benzodiazepines. Hopefully this might be helpful to you.

Attachments

• Psytimes_part1.pdf
    289.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 1104CP_Bostwick.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
That's swell the UK is cracking down on Benzo use. Is the drinking age still 18?

That's swell the UK is cracking down on Benzo use. Is the drinking age still 18?

I was prescribed 2 mg of Ativan to take daily, indefinitely by a psychiatrist in the US when I was 14. I had no knowledge that it was any different in its deleterious and tolerance properties than any other drug a doctor might give.

I think your sarcasm about alcohol is quite glib. People are aware of the addictive possibilities of alcohol. We had a constitutional amendment about it for God's sake. People in the UK are aware of this, as well. The majority of people can drink alcohol and not become addicted.

The differences between alcohol and benzodiazepines are: 1) the addictive/tolerance properties of benzodiazepines are not widely understood by lay people OR physicians (in my experience) and 2) tolerance is invariable with long-term daily use of benzodiazepines, often unbeknownst to the person taking them.

I was a kid who wouldn't take Tylenol for a headache. Have never had a sip of alcohol in my life. Was always terrified of doing the wrong thing. I would never, ever have voluntarily taken a recreational drug as a child, nor have I. I was a very anxious child and a perfectionist. I wanted to do the right thing.

I went through the DARE program as was required, not that I didn't already know I would not abuse alcohol or ever take recreational drugs.

But one very big difference between alcohol and benzodiazepines is that when I was 14 and prescribed to take it daily and indefinitely, I had no knowledge of what it was that I was doing. I would have declined an alcoholic drink. I would have declined marijuana. Yet I probably would have been better off with either of those compared to daily use of a relatively short-acting benzodiazepine.

So yes I think it is wonderful that the UK is proactive when it comes to regulating benzodiazepines, and I think the same should be done in the US. We need prescribing guidelines and oversight of doctors' behavior when it comes to this class of drugs. We already regulate alcohol, as does the UK. The awareness on the possibility of alcohol addiction is already there. There is a lot of help for alcoholics and those addicted to opiates. There is almost no help for benzodiazepine illness, and not only that, most of it is iatrogenic.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm more of a fan of referencing organizations that include psychiatrists as psychotropic medication management is done mostly by us and not psychologists. Not trying to minimize your link though, its informative. Here are a few pdf files. I have uploaded files discussing benzodiazepines. Hopefully this might be helpful to you.
Thank you very much for these. It is quite interesting to see the professional take on it. There is a bit of a gap from the on-the-ground thinking of those going through benzo withdrawal and the professional stance, but I will go through these in more detail. I'm in benzo-brain at the moment, which passes later at night and will read them better then. On a quick glance it is interesting to note how the equivalency table varies from the British National Formulary and Ashton manual; although it does have a foot note saying that there is controversy in the data. Most equivalency tables I have seen put Ativan at a 1:10 ratio against Valium. 1:5 is radically different. Depending on which you use and which is correct, you could possibly double a person's dose or halve it during a cross over.

I was just reading about the botched execution in Arizona. It's a subject that really makes me feel sick.

But out of all the barbarism involved in that is one more crazy nugget related to this thread: people, including executioners, don't understand benzodiazepines.

Benzodiazepines were the supposed god-send specifically because they're hard to overdose on (unless taken with something else, in which case it's rather easy to). When I heard that Versed was being used in executions, I assumed it was as a "humane" "pre-operative" drug before the killing.

I just read this NY Times article on which makes it sound like these idiots are trying to use Versed as the agent to kill the prisoner.

I know that these executions are run by doctors in secrecy against the wishes of the AMA. They don't even know how to overdose a person. It's absolutely a circus.

Why don't they hire the doctor who killed Michael Jackson?

Arizona apparently only used 50 mg of Versed in this execution:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/u...ion=click&region=FixedRight&pgtype=Multimedia

There are epilepsy patients who receive up to 80 mg/hour by infusion, and they expected this to help kill him.

It's just baffling and infuriating to know that a team of doctors are 1) abandoning there oath to save life anytime there is hope to do so 2) are so uneducated as to think that 10 mg of Versed (which is what they apparently used in Ohio during a botched execution) is going to have any great effect when benzodiazepines were specifically heralded as being the "safe" drugs patients couldn't overdose on (yes I know they are implicated in a lot of overdoses, but it's not because of the benzodiazepine, it's because it's mixed with something else).

The NY Times article makes it sound like Versed is the drug they're titrating up and down based on these botched executions, which is what led to my conclusion that it's the one of the two they're counting on for death. I know less about the other opiate drug as I am not familiar with opiates.

People kill themselves all the times with drug overdoses. Why is it so hard for the government? Not that I'm encouraging it. I abhor the death penalty. But it's just cringe-worthy when they not only do it but are so incompetent at it--and seemingly for lack of basic medical knowledge.

I wrote to the AMA after the last botched execution and told them in strong words I think they need to put the fear of God into doctors who participate in this and that they will try to root them out. It truly makes me sick.

When I heard that Versed was being used in executions, I assumed it was as a "humane" "pre-operative" drug before the killing.

I just read this NY Times article on which makes it sound like these idiots are trying to use Versed as the agent to kill the prisoner.
No, the article rather clearly states that the benzo is the sedative and the other med is there to stop the prisoner from breathing.

(yes I know they are implicated in a lot of overdoses, but it's not because of the benzodiazepine, it's because it's mixed with something else).
I'd like a citation for this, please.

No, the article rather clearly states that the benzo is the sedative and the other med is there to stop the prisoner from breathing.

I'd like a citation for this, please.

I have always heard that it is difficult to overdose on benzodiazepines in isolation, that is, in a healthy person taking no other drugs. I had heard it is very easy, however, to overdose when mixing it with alcohol or heroin. I had read this on Wikipedia, as well, which states:

"However, they are much less toxic than their predecessors, the barbiturates, and death rarely results when a benzodiazepine is the only drug taken; however, when combined with other central nervous system depressants such as ethanol and opiates, the potential for toxicity and fatal overdose increases."​

"Taken alone, they rarely cause severe complications in overdose;[87] statistics in England showed that benzodiazepines were responsible for 3.8% of all deaths by poisoning from a single drug.[14] However, combining these drugs with alcohol, opiates or tricyclic antidepressants markedly raises the toxicity.[15][88][89]"​

I looked up the first reference "Use and Abuse of Benzodiazepines by Albert Fraser, which says:

"Fatalities Caused by Benzodiazepine Poisoning

Benzodiazepines have a wide margin of safety based on studies in animals. In the rat, for example, the lethal dose of alprazolam (LD50) is 331 to 2171 mg/kg. The effective therapeutic dose (ED50) is 0.5 mg/kg, which results in a therapeutic ratio (LD50-ED50) for alprazolam of 662 to 4342 (61,62). Based on this ratio, one would anticipate that death caused by a benzodiazepine overdose would be rare.

There have been several reports of fatalities resulting from nitrazepam (63), flunitrazepam (64), triazolam (65,66), alprazolam (67), and flurazepam (68) in which the major causative agent leading to death was considered benzodiazepine taken as an overdose. In some, but not all, cases, ethyl alcohol was also involved (69). Fatal poisonings attributed to benzodiazepines (70) were reported recently in the United Kingdom. The authors investigated the number of deaths attributed directly to benzodiazepines by the Office of Population Census and Surveys and by the Registrar General for Scotland from 1980 to 1989. Prescription data were obtained from the Department of Health, and the number of deaths were calculated per million prescriptions for each benzodiazepine, the estimated number of deaths per million patients, and the estimated number of deaths per 1000-kg diazepam equivalents. The authors stated that benzodiazepines resulted in 5.9 deaths per million prescriptions (compared to 118 deaths attributed to barbiturates). In this 10-year period, 1,576 fatalities were attributed to benzodiazepines in the United Kingdom. The major hypnotic agents implicated were flurazepam and temazepam, and the major anxiolytic drugs considered to results in death after overdose were prazepam and alprazolam. When ethyl alcohol was used with a benzodiazepine, the largest number of deaths were thought to be caused by temazepam and diazepam. These authors concluded that benzodiazepines were less toxic than barbiturates but that temazepam toxicity was greater than toxicity from other benzodiazepines (temazepam was implicated in 491 of 921 benzodiazepine hypnotic deaths). Both temazepam and flurazepam accounted for more deaths per million prescriptions than half of the antidepressant drugs surveyed in the 1980s. These reports indicate that the benzodiazepines are relatively safe drugs but can cause serious and life-threatening toxicity after an overdose alone or in combination with ethyl alcohol."​

Whether that and the rest of the article supports what I said is up to some interpretation. But even in the NY Times article I linked to, the anesthesiologist they quoted indicated there is little research to know what the effects of these drugs in very high doses is.

As far as your other point that Versed is being used as a sedative and not the agent to kill the patient, I looked back and I do see where they said that Versed is used as the sedative and the opiate as the one that suppresses breathing. I took sedative to not just mean "chill out" because why else was the entire focus of the medical debate on which dose of Versed to use? If it's just being used as a pre-operative sedative, why wouldn't 50 mg would be as effective as 500 mg?

I know almost nothing about opiates so I can't comment on that. I do know, though, that benzos in "therapeutic" doses aren't supposed to have significant effects on respiration rate, etc., but I would imagine that they do in overdoses. And the fact that they're titrating the amount of Versed based on the results of these experimental executions makes me think that they're going for a synergistic effect with the opiate.

The reality is that an opiate along with a benzo are commonly used in outpatient twilight sedation procedures, so the entire idea of trying to kill a person this way is essentially death by extremely poorly managed anesthesia. It is a desperate, shameful thing.

If we have juries of peers, I think we should have execution duty as well. Force citizens to face what it is they are already doing by someone else's hand hidden away far away from their daily lives. And not to be a chicken about it, deliberating and hemming and hawing and trying to OD a person on drugs that are obviously not suited for the task. Everything about executions is meant to draw attention away from the fact that it is 1) murder and 2) by our own hands.

Last edited:
They are taken seriously.
Sounds like you have some personal issues with benzos, but this is probably not the right place for that.

Reactions: 2 users
They are taken seriously.
Sounds like you have some personal issues with benzos, but this is probably not the right place for that.

I, and a great number of people, have medical—not personal—issues because of benzodiazepines. And there are doctors, including psychiatrists, who prescribe benzodiazepines inappropriately—an issue for which I have seen no serious effort toward regulation. I think there is a place for a conversation about this. I am a student very interested in psychiatry, and I am discussing a public health issue—whether there is good knowledge about benzodiazepines or not—based on both my own experiences but also those of thousands others affected by benzodiazepine illness and data on their experiences.

I suppose this forum is a better place for dancing psychiatrist trolls. I saw you just responded to a thread started by that poster making a joke about the gun tragedy. This forum is definitely not the place for such a joke.

You wrote:

"Hear about the 'gunfight'?
Sounds like The Dance may have turned to boom boom pow!
Cacogites were involved. I'm certain. More than a black eye unfortunately."

That you would prefer that people on this forum not discuss the seriousness with which benzodiazepine illness is taken in this country and think it is more appropriate to make jokes about the murder of a social worker in a thread started by a troll is a bit odd, to say the least.

And it is precisely to my point that I don't feel benzodiazepines are taken seriously.

[removed]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh dear lady and lord, where do I start.

First of all, who in the blue blazes told you that Doctors were conducting lethal injection executions in secret against the wishes of the AMA? The reason state sanctioned death by lethal injection goes so horribly wrong is precisely because it is NOT Doctors or Nurses who are overseeing the procedure, due to a little something called the Hippocratic Oath, the executions are carried out by lay people. Just think for a moment how much media an execution generates, how many different sides turn up to either condone or condemn what's happening, the victim's family being allowed to attend, and so on. Exactly how do you expect a registered Doctor to be performing the execution and not get noticed?

Second of all, your quote above regarding Benzodiazipene toxicity. I'm not going to deny that people HAVE overdosed and died on Benzos. I don't know the exact stats regarding Benzo only deaths vs deaths by mixed toxicity (Benzos plus Opiates and/or Alcohol for example); however what you've quoted above states that Temazepam toxicity was greater than toxicity from other benzos - does the article happen to mention administration routes? Because Temazepam (sometimes known on the streets as Tammies or Jellies) are one of the most commonly injected benzos for drug users looking to get a bigger high. Combine alcohol with an IV administration route for Temazepam and of course you'd be looking at a potential overdose. That doesn't mean single instances of benzo only overdoses are necessarily lethal at a statistically significant rate.

Third, the recent botched execution used Midazolam as part of a two drug protocol. They weren't trying to OD the guy on Midozalam alone, they were using a combination of Midozolam and Dilaudid. He may have taken over 2 hours to die, but he had reached stage 3 Anaesthesia before that happened. When it comes to overdosing on a combo of benzos and opiates, it might not look pleasant for someone who witnesses the OD, but believe me the person experiencing it is pretty much in la la land - I should know, I lost count of the number of times I 'dropped' when I was using Heroin and Xanax together. Ask my husband what it was like to see me OD and watch me gurgling and snorting before I finally stopped breathing all together and started turning cyanotic, before he twigged what was happening and was able to commence mouth to mouth resucitation on me (followed by 5 vials of Narcan and being bagged by the ambulance crew for at least 15 minutes, before I finally came round). You know what I remember of that experience? Nothing, Nada, Zip - a complete and utter void with zero awareness of anything. And no, I'm not 'Pro' death penalty, not in the slightest. I am staunchly against it for any reason, no exceptions. My husband and I lost friends from a close knit community club in the Bali Bombings, and I still spoke out against any of the bombers being sentenced to die - so yeah, death penalty is a huge big 'hell no' from me. But if botched executions are going to be reported, they should be reported correctly and with accuracy. To do otherwise is to do a disservice to the anti death penalty cause, imho.

And last, but not least - mate, seriously, you have got to start working through this anger and resentment you have towards what happened to you with regards to the misprescribing of Benzos, before it eats you alive. You are not doing yourself, or your recovery any favours by hanging on to all of this, to the point of obsession. Support groups like Benzo Buddies can be helpful to a degree, but you also run the risk of getting mired in a mix of hopelessness and rumination about what was once done, rather than concentrating on what is happening in the now, and how you can continue to move forward. It's no use turning to this forum to get your frustrations out, no one here can help you other than to offer the occasional post of agreement, which in the end just validates your anger and once again you're stuck in a vicious circle - I'm angry at what happened, I post about it on SDF, a Doctor agrees with me, therefore my anger is validated so I'm angry at what happened (repeat ad infinitum). This is stuff you really need to be talking to your Psychiatrist about.

I think there is some validity to that. In our society there tends to be a right to a wrong. In my case, there never was. And I know that these wrongs continue.

I acknowledge that no matter how I came to be in my situation, it is my job to find a way out and to find people to help me with that, which I have.

That it is so incredibly difficult to find that help is an enduring problem. That inappropriate prescribing continues is an enduring problem.

That I bring awareness to the issue and present a side of the issue that is markedly different from the dispassionate views of psychiatric journals is helpful, I think.

Regarding lethal doses, I think you misunderstood. I was asked for a citation that benzodiazepine overdose in isolation is rare. I provided a source that detailed that it usually in combination with other drugs and difficult to overdose on in isolation.

As far as doctors’ involvement in executions, most states require a doctor to be present to pronounce the “patient” dead. To be there and observe the bungled process and serve as a witness to death for the state’s interests to me is complicity. If I were a doctor, I would say I will call 911 and report a murder if you’d like but I’m not going to stand here and help the process by pronouncing a patient dead that you just killed. And I don’t imagine that states are coming up with these cocktail ideas on their own. They are working with compounding pharmacies to obtain these drugs, but I imagine there must be some guidance they receive.

Finally, I think your experiences with benzodiazepines may be somewhat different from my own, and I think that may affect the way you see my criticisms toward benzodiazepine prescription. I think tolerance and addiction are real diseases no matter how they start, but to be clear, there are people with no intention of taking addictive drugs who are prescribed benzodiazepines, take them exactly as prescribed, never use recreational drugs or alcohol, and become quite ill as a result. That patients have not given informed consent to what I believe is a deleterious therapy is worrisome and deserves conversation. That doctors are not universally informed on the safety and usefulness of benzodiazepines beyond several weeks is worrisome and deserves conversation. I think there is room for regulation in this area, something as simple as informed consent forms or mandatory education on prescription guidelines for benzodiazepines.

From my experience, its mostly Family/IM docs that have inappropriate benzo prescribing techniques. Its not their fault, its just the training is not really heavy in that area for them.

My experience as well as well as psychiatrists being the "drug-dealer" so to speak. I wouldn't say it's not their fault. FM docs undergo several months of psychiatric training. Medical students are taught about it's addictive effects.

There is a paradigm in medicine: problem exists, give medication, problem solved. It's the result of being over-worked in residency, being paid per patient and not based on the time per patient and being rewarded for short-term outcomes instead of long-term ones. Well that and not enough doctors actually giving a damn.

With chronic benzo prescribing, problem is not solved. It's more like problem is kicked down the road and will be encountered again, likely worse.

When I say chronic, I mean everyday use more than 1 month. I've seen several patients use benzos appropriately on the order of once every several days.

Here's what I believe can be done that could make a realistic dent.
1) medstudents and residents should be given more emphasis, in all PCP residencies, to not give out benzos on a indefinite basis.
2) State medical boards and the DEA need to take tallies on the number of doctors prescribing benzos. Pharmacists should be able to report to higher authorities doctors that appear suspect.
3) State boards and the DEA need to be more vigilant and take away licenses for docs that give out benzos like they're candy.

Of course if enforced too much it'll lead to some patients that actually need them not getting them. Only go after the worst of the lot, but right now that "worst" only seems to me to be one doc per county per year. Maybe it's more than that, but I see several docs get away with this type of prescribing with nothing being done to them.

A method I've thought of is have a doc or nurse (hired by the state board) pose as a patient, request a benzo and see how easily a doc give one out. Did they follow regulations? Did they warn it's addictive? Did they recommend against chronic use?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think there is some validity to that. In our society there tends to be a right to a wrong. In my case, there never was. And I know that these wrongs continue.

I acknowledge that no matter how I came to be in my situation, it is my job to find a way out and to find people to help me with that, which I have.

That it is so incredibly difficult to find that help is an enduring problem. That inappropriate prescribing continues is an enduring problem.

That I bring awareness to the issue and present a side of the issue that is markedly different from the dispassionate views of psychiatric journals is helpful, I think.

Regarding lethal doses, I think you misunderstood. I was asked for a citation that benzodiazepine overdose in isolation is rare. I provided a source that detailed that it usually in combination with other drugs and difficult to overdose on in isolation.

As far as doctors’ involvement in executions, most states require a doctor to be present to pronounce the “patient” dead. To be there and observe the bungled process and serve as a witness to death for the state’s interests to me is complicity. If I were a doctor, I would say I will call 911 and report a murder if you’d like but I’m not going to stand here and help the process by pronouncing a patient dead that you just killed. And I don’t imagine that states are coming up with these cocktail ideas on their own. They are working with compounding pharmacies to obtain these drugs, but I imagine there must be some guidance they receive.

Finally, I think your experiences with benzodiazepines may be somewhat different from my own, and I think that may affect the way you see my criticisms toward benzodiazepine prescription. I think tolerance and addiction are real diseases no matter how they start, but to be clear, there are people with no intention of taking addictive drugs who are prescribed benzodiazepines, take them exactly as prescribed, never use recreational drugs or alcohol, and become quite ill as a result. That patients have not given informed consent to what I believe is a deleterious therapy is worrisome and deserves conversation. That doctors are not universally informed on the safety and usefulness of benzodiazepines beyond several weeks is worrisome and deserves conversation. I think there is room for regulation in this area, something as simple as informed consent forms or mandatory education on prescription guidelines for benzodiazepines.

You are right about a Doctor being present to confirm death in executions, I'd forgotten about that. As Splik indicated as well several states in the US also seem to have some sort of provision on their books for Doctors to be protected if they are involved in an execution. I don't know how this would match with the Hippocratic Oath, so I do still doubt there are Doctors out there who are actually carrying the executions out themselves. I do stand corrected on some of my earlier comments though. I live in a country without the death penalty, and I'd like to see it banned everywhere, so I tend to get picky in regards to how things are reported because accuracy is always important when you're trying to raise awareness or fight a cause, imho.

You and I don't have that dissimilar an experience with benzo addiction. Yes, back in my bad days, I used to Doctor shop to obtain Benzos for party purposes, but it was actually bad prescribing practices and using Benzos 'as directed' that produced long term dependency and a whole lot of grief to go with it. In my situation I do feel the initial prescription/use was needed, I was basically at a crisis point and Xanax was something that worked fast to get me out of that situation. But I was not meant to be on it the long term, my original prescribing Doctor already had plans in place for it to be short term treatment only, followed by an immediate taper. That didn't happen, because I moved house, changed Doctors and ended up hearing lines like 'You can't come off this medication, you need it, a diabetic can't come off their insulin now can they?' And more fool me, I listened and did what I was I told. It didn't help that already having underlying addiction problems I found it very hard to say no when scripts were basically being waved in my face, but the Doctor I was seeing at the time was also very adamant and had a tendency to wear you down. I remember going in a number of times, having already put myself through hell doing a rapid toxic, and practically begging for an alternative, such as a referral to a counsellor of some sort...And 20 minutes of arguing back and forth and listening to him trot out his spiel, and I'd end up walking out of there with yet another script and no offer of any alternative help. Eventually a local TV current affairs show did a story on him, and went in with hidden cameras, at which point he was revealed to be a major pill pusher for all his patients (basically writing scripts indiscriminately and using the power differential between Doctor and Patient to keep people on benzos long term). Too late for me, by that stage I was completely dependent, and in the wake of his being sacked from the medical centre I was attending I was forced to find another Doctor and fast. Unfortunately the next two Doctors I ended up with were also both pill pushers, so I was right back where I'd started.

In my case the indiscriminate misprescribing of Benzos happened through GPs (Family Doctors), not through Psychiatrists. If anything my experience, at least where I live, has been that Psychiatrists are way less likely to write scripts for Benzos when compared to a GP. I don't know if that comes down to training, or Psychiatrists having more direct experience of the bad side of benzos, a combo of both, or something else entirely. I do know those Doctors who are found to be practicing bad prescribing habits don't get pulled into line nearly often enough, or with enough of a punishment for it to be a deterrent to others. There's been a bit more of a clamp down over the past decade, but it's still not nearly enough in my opinion - there are far too many rogues out there getting away with stuff that they really should have their licenses yanked for. In that respect it sounds like the US and Australia, my State at least, aren't dissimilar.

Last edited:
The ethics of a doctor being involved in an execution or anything that can lead to one is being hotly debated and there are no clear-cut right and wrongs. Some medical societies absolutely state that you cannot be involved in one or do anything that can lead to one. There are legal precedents that if one is to be executed, they must be competent to be executed. That is, they must understand why they are being executed. If a disorganized schizophrenia loses that capacity, one could argue that a doctor cannot treat the patient's schizophrenia because to make that patient better enough to understand his situation, it will lead to his execution.

In short the proposed guidelines that contradict each other from one society to another whether it be the AMA, state laws, the APA, the WHO, etc range from: 1) as a doctor, you must be against the death penalty completely no matter what because you are a healer, 2) you cannot do anything that will lead to an execution or participate in one even if it's just to make sure the person is dead 3) you can check if they're dead but not do anything else 4) you can not assist/participate in the execution but you can do things that could potentially lead to one such as find a person competent to be executed or competent to stand trial in a trial where they will likely be found guilty to no restrictions.

This is a situation where our ethics smash into the established legal policies with everyone disagreeing on what's supposed to be accepted rule for all.

This is a topic covered in forensic psychiatry because if you're in a death penalty state, your patient or evaluee may be in a potential death penalty case and you have to find out what the guidelines are and what you're comfortable with in terms of how far you will go to assist the legal process.

The ethics of a doctor being involved in an execution or anything that can lead to one is being hotly debated and there are no clear-cut right and wrongs. Some medical societies absolutely state that you cannot be involved in one or do anything that can lead to one. There are legal precedents that if one is to be executed, they must be competent to be executed. That is, they must understand why they are being executed. If a disorganized schizophrenia loses that capacity, one could argue that a doctor cannot treat the patient's schizophrenia because to make that patient better enough to understand his situation, it will lead to his execution.

In short the proposed guidelines that contradict each other from one society to another whether it be the AMA, state laws, the APA, the WHO, etc range from you cannot do anything that will lead to an execution or participate in one even if it's just to make sure the person is dead, to you can check if they're dead but not do anything else, to you can not assist/participate in the execution but you can do things that could potentially lead to one such as find a person competent to be executed or competent to stand trial in a trial where they will likely be found guilty to no restrictions.

This is a topic covered in forensic psychiatry because if you're in a death penalty state, your patient or evaluee may be in a potential death penalty case and you have to find out what the guidelines are and what you're comfortable with in terms of how far you will go to assist the legal process.

Ah, I see. Thanks. Sounds like the situation is far more complex than I perhaps first thought.

What an interesting discussion this has turned out to be. I did not know all this information.

As side note, I'm sorry Splik you are not a fan of the AMA. Things have changed over the last 10 years. Also the AMA has lobbyists that do fight on our behalf. Let me give you an example. About 2 years ago, Illinois psychological association leadership(btw, not many psychologists want this right, just the leadership mostly) used all their money to secretly sway politicians into voting in the House and Senate to allow them to have prescribing rights (similar to New Mexico). Everyone one was caught off guard and the Illinois State Medical Society along with the American Psychiatric Association began to fight this. Turned out that this was a much bigger mess then any anticipated, as the bill was passing forwards like wild fire. So the organizations contacted the American Medical Association, and the AMA sent in plenty of funding for more lobbyists to put the fire out. In the end, the bill barely NOT passed. This is just one of many things that have happened.

I know the AMA has made pretty poor decisions in the past, but they are really looking out for all us these days.

The AMA is a big, powerful, and long-stretching organization. Like a political party they do a heck of a lot of things. Hard to judge the organization as a whole, good or bad, unless you do an in-depth analysis and you will likely only get shades of grey.

Not sure how accurate this report is, but it seems to be indicating a rise in opiate and benzo prescriptions from PCP's in the US. Which is alarming, to say the least.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/821836

And one specifically from an Australian point of view. It seems to show an overall decrease in Benzo prescriptions in the last 20 years, but an increase in the quantity prescribed at any one time. I personally think this has to do with the way our Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme is set up, in that you pay for the cost of a full prescription, regardless of whether that prescription is filled in full or not. For example Valium here comes in bottles or packets of 50 tablets, it doesn't matter if a Doctor writes a script for 5, 10, 20 or the full 50 tablets, you will pay the exact same price. Hence, from anecdotal experience at least, a lot of Doctors will prescribe the full amount for a patient to save them money per tablet - especially in lower socioeconomic areas. The drop off in certain prescriptions followed by the rise in others (Flunitrazepam to Alprazolam, for example) is something I have personally witnessed as well. It's like trying to tackle a giant Hydra, you chop off one head and another just grows in its place (take away Rohypnol suddenly everyone's on Xanax, take away Xanax suddenly everyone's on Klonopin, and so on).

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/imj.12315/full

Interesting. This post caused me to join this forum to offer a different perspective than what I've read here thus far about benzodiazepines, and frankly, I find the attitudes here to be alarmingly ideological as well as potentially deleterious; as is well documented, panic disorder patients do not all respond to SSRI's and, moreover, have some of the highest rates of suicide. I might suggest that they are under medicated, and also that after reading about thirty threads on this forum filled primarily with psychiatrists posting, I would sincerely ask those in the psychiatric field to think more cautiously about benzodiazepine prescription as well as discontinuation to say nothing of your patients. Let me share my situation to offer a counter to that of birchswing's since it is similar, and yet also quite different, in particular my attitude towards psychiatry and psychiatrists as well as benzodiazepines and their efficacy and ethically appropriate use.

Let me preface my point by stating that I am a well-published university professor, which nowadays will get you a shiny wooden nickel in the United States. Nevertheless, I'm not an uneducated person by any stretch of the imagination, nor have I suffered with any noteworthy degree of cognitive impairment, although I was dumb enough to go into the Humanities. That's a joke. Sort of. I'm also someone with severe panic disorder and agoraphobia with situational panic attacks and social anxiety who has taken xanax steadily, three times a day, at between 1-2 mg, since the early 1990's when I was a college student, although I'm currently on a "forced taper," so to speak, by my psychiatrist who sounds all too much like many psychiatrists on this forum, beating the drum of, "One cannot stay on xanax forever." I was not functional and was housebound for a long time. Even as a child, I was anxious and had panic attacks but didn't know what they were. They grew in frequency until they happened even at home. Because of this, my university attendance was sporadic although I was at the top of my class when I was able to attend. I should also add that I've never taken drugs, nor do I suffer from the type of heavy drinking that is relatively commonplace amongst the professoriat. Nor do I smoke or drink coffee. Oddly, I've never been addicted to anything, not a single thing.

Initially, I was tried on older classes of medications such as the tricylics: elavil, doxepin. Then, I was tried on prozac, paxil, zoloft, and later celexa. I was also tried on several drugs with unacceptable side effects: risperdal, lithium, trazadone, depakote, and remeron. Buspar, wellbutrin, and effexor was also tried without success. I took propanolol as well, which did nothing. I was not especially savvy at that point in my life and eventually, in total despair, I voluntarily permitted admission to a psychiatric facility for diagnostic purposes where I stayed for about two weeks. While there, I saw a neuropsychiatrist and had testing, a neurologist, and a handful of psychiatrists. Several of these medications were tried while I was there and then afterwards, spanning several years.

Eventually, a psychiatrist prescribed xanax after a year-long course of celexa, and the xanax worked. I immediately picked up with my life, finished my degree, and went on to graduate school. It was as though I had been given a new lease on life. The psychiatrist offered grave warnings, as did the pharmacist, as did my pill bottle, as did the printed insert that accompanied my medication, that I would invariably become addicted to xanax, which did happen, although even with about twenty years of use, there was no reduction whatsoever in efficacy nor were there any symptoms of note. The entire world opened up to me, and I was well. I was so well, that I actually forgot I had ever been unwell. My career took off at a profound rate, and I began to publish, attend conferences worldwide, and of course, to teach, which with the kinds of disorder I have was unthinkable.

Then one day, I went to my routine, once-a-month psychiatric appointment and my psychiatrist informed me that I had to be tapered off of my medication since it was outdated to take xanax anymore, and it wasn't prescribed regularly. I was immediately alarmed that I would be psychologically disabled again and could lose my academic career entirely, but I tried to be compliant, and the doctor used the Ashton taper method. It's well-known where I live, actually. However, I did seek the opinion of other psychiatrists in my area, and I received the exact same information, even with my case history and current situation. This continues to baffle me.

Now, I've discontinued benzodiazepines completely, last having took valium for some time. It's summer. The university is out of session. And I'm not well, not functional, and have a decided withdrawal, which I'm having right now, as a matter of course, and I tapered as told. Incapacitated, I find myself deeply depressed about my abject state all the time and question if I will have to retire early in the Fall, which would be terrible. Also, I have had to cancel my summer travels with non-refundable plane tickets. My spouse is hanging on by a thread, psychologically, due to the strain of discontinuing medication when I was quite fine and well. Whatever has happened has been lingering for about a month and a half, and while I can understand that I have something like a down regulation of GABA and perhaps an excess of glutamate, and even other neurochemical imbalances, that does nothing to help me leave the house. The house. I lie; I've been in bed almost this entire time, and I'm going quite insane from the stress of all of this nonsense. No matter how I try to reason through it, it does me no good: the medication was working, it was discontinued for pointless reasons, and now I am unwell and will invariably have a return of all of my original symptoms since they were untreatable.

There is no particular reason I was discontinued from xanax as I was quite stable on it, never increased my dosage other than for on airplanes, which I openly told my doctor about, never had side effects, nor had it lost its ability other than very mildly, and then only for specific, situational phobias such as mentioned. Even if I were to accept the kind of quasi-puritanical logic which governs the ideology that states that "to feel good is always bad," which I obviously reject, the argument is ultimately flawed in its clear Utilitarian impulse; in fact, it's not always good for society-as-a-whole to do the least amount of harm if some individuals slide through the cracks into whatever chasm, as is happening to me. One-sized-fits-all thinking (and prescribing) is quite clearly not only dangerous but also highly foolish, regardless of what studies, and we all know that studies are highly flawed and can be cherry-picked, state. Ultimately, an educated person should have full ability to choose their own psychological well-being if the medications exist for that to happen. To do otherwise is to commit a grave logical fallacy of over-generalizing or even generalizing from exceptional cases when the exceptional cases are highly functioning and not, well, this thread and others like it make it seem like uneducated polydrug users and abusers are the vast majority of those who take benzodiazepines. Also, Professor Ashton is simply a professor like any other, and if there is one thing true in academia, it's that a diversity of opinion is valuable, but also, that no one person's word should be taken as doctrine. Her views on several neuropsychiatric issues are iconoclastic, and I imagine she may be slightly more eccentric than is widely recognized. The UK, as we know, has just declared an ill-defined ban on all psychotropic substances and has essentially revitalized an obviously conservative "war on drugs." I would recommend that Americans exercise critical thinking about her and about her recommendations to the NHS, especially as I notice she is on at least one American benzodiazepine advisory board. It wouldn't be the first time that America didn't think England had it right.

As I mentioned, in regard to studies, these are of limited value until proven otherwise. Natural skepticism is warranted about new data and about what is regarded as "fact." In the case of benzodiazepines, some people do flourish in ways that they would not otherwise when taking them, and approaching these patients with a viewpoint jaundiced by prior experience, the FDA, new studies, or whatever colors ones' understanding of the strange and mysterious thing that is the human brain. To presuppose more understanding of it than one truly has and to speak with a broad brush about how "substance x" will have "outcome y" when there are always reports in the literature of some percent of people for whom this is not true is hubristic. I don't say that about anyone here in particular, but there is a kind of off-handed expertise that we're all prone to when we are, in fact, experts. Experts of what? In my research, I know my own limitations quite well.

At this point, I will stop because I've already been too candid here, but I have nothing to hide; I chose to take a medication that helped me when no other medication would, which I took with complete education (and here I must pause to say I cannot imagine how anyone could fail to be apprised of its addictive qualities for at least at the pharmacy, every time I pick my prescription up, even after all of these years, I have to discuss it with the pharmacist), and due to whatever social stigma that now surrounds that medication, and the entire class of medications that it is in, I am unable to find further psychological help and am near to losing my entire life. I don't believe this upholds the hippocratic oath, let alone any reasonable standard of ethics outside of medicine. So what would you say to a patient like myself? Would you tell me to try an SSRI again? To spend a few more years terrified, in my house, in a state of psychological torment? To waste tens of thousands of dollars on another decade of weekly therapy without effect? How would you explain the new actions of my psychiatrist and of every psychiatrist whom I've consulted with, besides? How would you even begin to rationalize their choices?

Last edited:
Interesting. This post caused me to join this forum to offer a different perspective than what I've read here thus far about benzodiazepines, and frankly, I find the attitudes here to be alarmingly ideological as well as potentially deleterious; as is well documented, panic disorder patients do not all respond to SSRI's and, moreover, have some of the highest rates of suicide. I might suggest that they are under medicated, and also that after reading about thirty threads on this forum filled primarily with psychiatrists posting, I would sincerely ask those in the psychiatric field to think more cautiously about benzodiazepine prescription as well as discontinuation to say nothing of your patients. Let me share my situation to offer a counter to that of birchswing's since it is similar, and yet also quite different, in particular my attitude towards psychiatry and psychiatrists as well as benzodiazepines and their efficacy and ethically appropriate use.

Let me preface my point by stating that I am a well-published university professor, which nowadays will get you a shiny wooden nickel in the United States. Nevertheless, I'm not an uneducated person by any stretch of the imagination, nor have I suffered with any noteworthy degree of cognitive impairment, although I was dumb enough to go into the Humanities. That's a joke. Sort of. I'm also someone with severe panic disorder and agoraphobia with situational panic attacks and social anxiety who has taken xanax steadily, three times a day, at between 1-2 mg, since the early 1990's when I was a college student, although I'm currently on a "forced taper," so to speak, by my psychiatrist who sounds all too much like many psychiatrists on this forum, beating the drum of, "One cannot stay on xanax forever." I was not functional and was housebound for a long time. Even as a child, I was anxious and had panic attacks but didn't know what they were. They grew in frequency until they happened even at home. Because of this, my university attendance was sporadic although I was at the top of my class when I was able to attend. I should also add that I've never taken drugs, nor do I suffer from the type of heavy drinking that is relatively commonplace amongst the professoriat. Nor do I smoke or drink coffee. Oddly, I've never been addicted to anything, not a single thing.

Initially, I was tried on older classes of medications such as the tricylics: elavil, doxepin. Then, I was tried on prozac, paxil, zoloft, and later celexa. I was also tried on several drugs with unacceptable side effects: risperdal, lithium, trazadone, depakote, and remeron. Buspar, wellbutrin, and effexor was also tried without success. I took propanolol as well, which did nothing. I was not especially savvy at that point in my life and eventually, in total despair, I voluntarily permitted admission to a psychiatric facility for diagnostic purposes where I stayed for about two weeks. While there, I saw a neuropsychiatrist and had testing, a neurologist, and a handful of psychiatrists. Several of these medications were tried while I was there and then afterwards, spanning several years.

Eventually, a psychiatrist prescribed xanax after a year-long course of celexa, which worked. I immediately picked up with my life, finished my degree, and went on to graduate school. It was as though I had been given a new lease on life. The psychiatrist offered grave warnings, as did the pharmacist, as did my pill bottle, as did the printed insert that accompanied my medication, that I would invariably become addicted to xanax, which did happen, although even with about twenty years of use, there was no reduction whatsoever in efficacy nor were there any symptoms of note. The entire world opened up to me, and I was well. I was so well, that I actually forgot I had ever been unwell. My career took off at a profound rate, and I began to publish, attend conferences worldwide, and of course, to teach, which with the kinds of disorder I have was unthinkable.

Then one day, I went to my routine, once-a-month psychiatric appointment and my psychiatrist informed me that I had to be tapered off of my medication since it was outdated to take xanax anymore, and it wasn't prescribed regularly. I was immediately alarmed that I would be psychologically disabled again and could lose my academic career entirely, but I tried to be compliant, and the doctor used the Ashton taper method. It's well-known where I live, actually. However, I did seek the opinion of other psychiatrists in my area, and I received the exact same information, even with my case history and current situation. This continues to baffle me.

Now, I've discontinued benzodiazepines completely, last having took valium for some time. It's summer. The university is out of session. And I'm not well, not functional, and have a decided withdrawal, which I'm having right now, as a matter of course, and I tapered as told. Incapacitated, I find myself deeply depressed about my abject state all the time and question if I will have to retire early in the Fall, which would be terrible. Also, I have had to cancel my summer travels with non-refundable plane tickets. My spouse is hanging on by a thread, psychologically, due to the strain of discontinuing medication when I was quite fine and well. Whatever has happened has been lingering for about a month and a half, and while I can understand that I have something like a down regulation of GABA and perhaps an excess of glutamate, and even other neurochemical imbalances, that does nothing to help me leave the house. The house. I lie; I've been in bed almost this entire time, and I'm going quite insane from the stress of all of this nonsense. No matter how I try to reason through it, it does me no good: the medication was working, it was discontinued for pointless reasons, and now I am unwell and will invariably have a return of all of my original symptoms since they were untreatable.

There is no particular reason I was discontinued from xanax as I was quite stable on it, never increased my dosage other than for on airplanes, which I openly told my doctor about, never had side effects, nor had it lost its ability other than very mildly, and then only for specific, situational phobias such as mentioned. Even if I were to accept the kind of quasi-puritanical logic which governs the ideology that states that "to feel good is always bad," which I obviously reject, the argument is ultimately flawed in its clear Utilitarian impulse; in fact, it's not always good for society-as-a-whole to do the least amount of harm if some individuals slide through the cracks into whatever chasm, as is happening to me. One-sized-fits-all thinking (and prescribing) is quite clearly not only dangerous but also highly foolish, regardless of what studies, and we all know that studies are highly flawed and can be cherry-picked, state. Ultimately, an educated person should have full ability to choose their own psychological well-being if the medications exist for that to happen. To do otherwise is to commit a grave logical fallacy of over-generalizing or even generalizing from exceptional cases when the exceptional cases are highly functioning and not, well, this thread and others like it make it seem like uneducated polydrug users and abusers are the vast majority of those who take benzodiazepines. Also, Professor Ashton is simply a professor like any other, and if there is one thing true in academia, it's that a diversity of opinion is valuable, but also, that no one person's word should be taken as doctrine. Her views on several neuropsychiatric issues are iconoclastic, and I imagine she may be slightly more eccentric than is widely recognized. The UK, as we know, has just declared an ill-defined ban on all psychotropic substances and has essentially revitalized an obviously conservative "war on drugs." I would recommend that Americans exercise critical thinking about her and about her recommendations to the NHS, especially as I notice she is on at least one American benzodiazepine advisory board. It wouldn't be the first time that America didn't think England had it right.

As I mentioned, in regard to studies, these are of limited value until proven otherwise. Natural skepticism is warranted about new data and about what is regarded as "fact." In the case of benzodiazepines, some people do flourish in ways that they would not otherwise when taking them, and approaching these patients with a viewpoint jaundiced by prior experience, the FDA, new studies, or whatever colors ones' understanding of the strange and mysterious thing that is the human brain. To presuppose more understanding of it than one truly has and to speak with a broad brush about how "substance x" will have "outcome y" when there are always reports in the literature of some percent of people for whom this is not true is hubristic. I don't say that about anyone here in particular, but there is a kind of off-handed expertise that we're all prone to when we are, in fact, experts. Experts of what? In my research, I know my own limitations quite well.

At this point, I will stop because I've already been too candid here, but I have nothing to hide; I chose to take a medication that helped me when no other medication would, which I took with complete education (and here I must pause to say I cannot imagine how anyone could fail to be apprised of its addictive qualities for at least at the pharmacy, every time I pick my prescription up, even after all of these years, I have to discuss it with the pharmacist), and due to whatever social stigma that now surrounds that medication, and the entire class of medications that it is in, I am unable to find further psychological help and am near to losing my entire life. I don't believe this upholds the hippocratic oath, let alone any reasonable standard of ethics outside of medicine. So what would you say to a patient like myself? Would you tell me to try an SSRI again? To spend a few more years terrified, in my house, in a state of psychological torment? To waste tens of thousands of dollars on another decade of weekly therapy without effect? How would you explain the new actions of my psychiatrist and of every psychiatrist whom I've consulted with, besides? How would you even begin to rationalize their choices?

I'm very sorry for the situation that you are in. It's interesting (thought not surprising) that your psychiatrist followed the Ashton manual for tapering but not the part that says that the decision to withdraw and the speed of withdrawal should be patient-directed due to the unique nature of benzodiazepines. As far as diversity of opinion, there certainly remain doctors who believe that in some cases long-term benzodiazepine therapy is the right course of action. Doctors seem to follow either formulas or what they personally believe to be true. It's hard to be open to something that challenges your professional lens on a subject. It would be as if your students challenged your position on whichever subject you're a professor in--maybe not quite the same, as some medical doctors are even more protective. There's also a legal aspect that they worry about it when it comes to controlled substances.

There was a thread recently on this forum where a psychiatrist was writing about a patient who only felt relief of his depression with the use of opiates:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/fascinating-pt-conundrum.1131646/

Even though I am the OP of this thread (where I was complaining about the opposite experience you are having), I said in that other thread that I think it raises very interesting questions about quality of life.

My sentiment was that we each only have one life and I think to the maximum extent possible we should every right possible that allows us to find the greatest meaning in it.

The problem of course is that unlike finding what you need in a babbling brook, controlled substances are behind a walled door. You know what works best for you, but other people say they know better.

I am glad you were able to give informed consent. I was not. And even though I feel that way about my own experience, I wish for you that you could continue to do what you think is best for the rest of your life. And I always think that benzo withdrawal should be patient-directed.

There's a psychiatrist where I live (who is soon retiring) who is known among other doctors as the one you go to when you know what you want. He used to end my sessions by asking, "Do you need anything else?" That was his value. I have only seen one doctor who has been encouraging in my quest to decrease my benzodiazepine use. I see a neurologist about once a year, and he thinks I'm on a "peanuts" amount of benzodiazepines and says things like, "You're an anxious guy. You need them." I say this not to rant again (as I did my creating this thread) because as I've tapered (and I haven't gotten far), I've realized the practical realities and trade-offs. My biggest regret is the amnesia I have from the benzos. I have times where I think, well I'm lucky if I live another 50 years, so why not just stay on the benzos and if I have to updose 20 years from now, so be it. But I recently found some journals from before the period I got on heavier doses of the benzos. I saw how alive I was. And it re-affirmed what I already know: I can't remember much of my life. I can remember such vivid details of my childhood, but the degree of my amnesia coincides exactly with when I started on the benzos at the heavier doses (college, when a psychiatrist put me on Klonopin and Ativan at the same time--before that it was more moderate).

But I haven't made fast progress at all. And I'm not willing to be tortured in tapering. I am only willing to have discomfort. So, I support you. I am also very impressed that you did what you did (total withdrawal).

From what I've read on the forums, it takes a long while to recover even after completely tapering. Some people say flumazenil is helpful (after the taper is over). But I know that none of that is what you want to hear, and I shouldn't be saying it. I shouldn't be saying it because I haven't done what you've done. I'm a hypocrite. And I know you don't want to hear it because from all accounts there's no going back to normal that would be good for you--you took these meds because of a problem you had.

Given how severe the effects of withdrawal are, I wonder if you can take FMLA leave for some time and maintain your position at work rather than retire? I shouldn't give advice. If I were ever able to get off all my benzos but felt like there were no options but to go back on, I'm not sure what I would do or want to hear.

Lyrica and Neurontin are also addictive (I'm not sure how much so compared to benzos, but less so I believe) and may be meds that your psychiatrist would be more willing to prescribe. I thought of those because they are also GABA-ergic I hate to offer advice like that knowing that you've probably tried everything. I wish you well. And I am sorry. I wish there were something more I could say.

Let's be careful here. Lyrica does not bind opiate receptors and is not active there. It does not bind GABAA, GABAB, or benzodiazepine receptors. It's not addictive in the classic sense. If anything, if any drug is working for you then you can become psychologically addicted to it. Lyrica binds alpha2-delta receptors that reduce calcium currents in nerves to reduce depolarization probability (to help prevent seizures but found to also help reduce pain transmission). Yes, if you suddenly stop Lyrica your body may go through a Lyrica withdrawal, but this is true for many drugs and does not mean its an addictive medication. Addiction is listed as a very rare side effect, and its pharmacology suggest so.

When I ask if a medication is addictive, I check to see if it affects the addictive pathways in the brain, namely the mesolimbic system and the opiate regions.

Last edited:
Let's be careful here. Lyrica does not bind opiate receptors and is not active there. It does not bind GABAA, GABAB, or benzodiazepine receptors. It's not addictive in the classic sense. If anything, if any drug is working for you then you can become psychologically addicted to it. Lyrica binds alpha2-delta receptors that reduce calcium currents in nerves to reduce depolarization probability (to help prevent seizures but found to also help reduce pain transmission). Yes, if you suddenly stop Lyrica your body may go through a Lyrica withdrawal, but this is true for many drugs and does not mean its an addictive medication. Addiction is listed as a very rare side effect, and its pharmacology suggest so.

When I ask if a medication is addictive, I check to see if it affects the addictive pathways in the brain, namely the mesolimbic system and the opiate regions.
That's good news. I had heard it was addictive which made me wonder why it was first-line treatment for anxiety in Europe. I don't hear of it used much in the US. When I had asked my doctor about it as a means for getting off of benzos, she made it sound like it was just one more drug to get stuck on (as in physically dependent on). I admittedly know very little about it, so I am glad you clarified.

I personally think using it as a way to get off benzos is poor medicine. Nothing suggests it works this way. In the US it's used mainly for pain control (blocking neuropathic pain, not making you feel a high or anything) and seizures. If you stubbed a toe, Lyrica won't help. If you have diabetic neuropathy, yes it can be a life-saver.

I apologize for the typos, fragments, and rambling. As stated, I amI'm very sorry for the situation that you are in.
It's interesting (thought not surprising) that your psychiatrist followed the Ashton manual for tapering but not the part that says that the decision to withdraw and the speed of withdrawal should be patient-directed due to the unique nature of benzodiazepines.

As far as diversity of opinion, there certainly remain doctors who believe that in some cases long-term benzodiazepine therapy is the right course of action. Doctors seem to follow either formulas or what they personally believe to be true. It's hard to be open to something that challenges your professional lens on a subject. It would be as if your students challenged your position on whichever subject you're a professor in--maybe not quite the same, as some medical doctors are even more protective. There's also a legal aspect that they worry about it when it comes to controlled substances.

There was a thread recently on this forum where a psychiatrist was writing about a patient who only felt relief of his depression with the use of opiates:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/fascinating-pt-conundrum.1131646/

Even though I am the OP of this thread (where I was complaining about the opposite experience you are having), I said in that other thread that I think it raises very interesting questions about quality of life.

My sentiment was that we each only have one life and I think to the maximum extent possible we should every right possible that allows us to find the greatest meaning in it.

The problem of course is that unlike finding what you need in a babbling brook, controlled substances are behind a walled door. You know what works best for you, but other people say they know better.

I am glad you were able to give informed consent. I was not. And even though I feel that way about my own experience, I wish for you that you could continue to do what you think is best for the rest of your life. And I always think that benzo withdrawal should be patient-directed.

There's a psychiatrist where I live (who is soon retiring) who is known among other doctors as the one you go to when you know what you want. He used to end my sessions by asking, "Do you need anything else?" That was his value. I have only seen one doctor who has been encouraging in my quest to decrease my benzodiazepine use. I see a neurologist about once a year, and he thinks I'm on a "peanuts" amount of benzodiazepines and says things like, "You're an anxious guy. You need them." I say this not to rant again (as I did my creating this thread) because as I've tapered (and I haven't gotten far), I've realized the practical realities and trade-offs. My biggest regret is the amnesia I have from the benzos. I have times where I think, well I'm lucky if I live another 50 years, so why not just stay on the benzos and if I have to updose 20 years from now, so be it. But I recently found some journals from before the period I got on heavier doses of the benzos. I saw how alive I was. And it re-affirmed what I already know: I can't remember much of my life. I can remember such vivid details of my childhood, but the degree of my amnesia coincides exactly with when I started on the benzos at the heavier doses (college, when a psychiatrist put me on Klonopin and Ativan at the same time--before that it was more moderate).

But I haven't made fast progress at all. And I'm not willing to be tortured in tapering. I am only willing to have discomfort. So, I support you. I am also very impressed that you did what you did (total withdrawal).

From what I've read on the forums, it takes a long while to recover even after completely tapering. Some people say flumazenil is helpful (after the taper is over). But I know that none of that is what you want to hear, and I shouldn't be saying it. I shouldn't be saying it because I haven't done what you've done. I'm a hypocrite. And I know you don't want to hear it because from all accounts there's no going back to normal that would be good for you--you took these meds because of a problem you had.

Given how severe the effects of withdrawal are, I wonder if you can take FMLA leave for some time and maintain your position at work rather than retire? I shouldn't give advice. If I were ever able to get off all my benzos but felt like there were no options but to go back on, I'm not sure what I would do or want to hear.

Lyrica and Neurontin are also addictive (I'm not sure how much so compared to benzos, but less so I believe) and may be meds that your psychiatrist would be more willing to prescribe. I thought of those because they are also GABA-ergic I hate to offer advice like that knowing that you've probably tried everything. I wish you well. And I am sorry. I wish there were something more I could say.

1.) There's no reason for you to apologize, although I realize that you are primarily empathizing. However, and I cannot stress this enough, my post was intended for the psychiatrists on this forum and while I will reply to your post (below), my final questions stand, and I am much more interested in speaking with medical practitioners since I am trying to understand their reasoning, and from my own psychiatrist, I have received fairly canned or vague replies.

2.) My psychiatrist was not making his decision to taper me based on the Ashton manual but on the fact that he stated that taking xanax, and other benzodiazepines, for anxiety was outdated. This attitude was the same attitude that I found amongst numerous other psychiatrists whom I then consulted. Eventually, I gave up looking for someone to treat me and discontinued medication via the taper method. I found zero psychiatrists even remotely interested in assisting me, and I found this same attitude on this forum, essentially confirming that it wasn't simply a geographic issue, which was what I had suspected at first, and what you suggest since in other posts. Perhaps the psychiatrists who will still treat psychiatric disorders simply do not post online. That's possible. They certainly do not live near me.

3.) You say that doctors "seem to follow either formulas or what they personally believe to be true." Of course they do. There is no such thing as a full objective knowledge of the human psyche, so all treatment will be highly subjective. Either the prevailing wisdom is a rigid adherence to a pre-conceived formula -- which one can see in totalizing statements about benzodiazepines, on either side of the fence, and there is quite a history to how this has changed dramatically over the past two decades or so, which is perhaps part of what frustrates patients -- or else the choice is made based upon something that is subjectively ethical or else ideological. All of these are insufficient, however, when a patient is an intelligent human being. In four U.S. States, one can choose to participate in physician-assisted suicide, a point that you, yourself, raised at some point, perhaps in another thread, and yet one cannot choose to take medication that improves his or her quality of life. All psychiatric medication is a matter not of life and death, other than in the most extreme cases, but of quality of life. If quality of life is what's at stake, and it is the only thing at stake (along with the greater welfare of other individuals or else the economy of a society), surely all patients should have a say in what that quality of life is like rather than having to rely so wholly on someone else's subjective ideology, ethics, or limited neuropsychiatric understanding, which is no fault of anyone; the current understanding of psychiatry is simply based on incomplete scientific data, which is precisely why I stated earlier that to fail to recognize this was sheer hubris, which is actually someone's fault.

4.) Students often challenge me. That's good. It either makes them think or else it makes me think. The vast majority of university professors would tell you the same thing. I do not take personal offense to it, and the outcome of being challenged is either that the student reconsiders his or her position and knowledge, or else I do. Thus said, being a professor involves far more than students. If my academic peers challenge me, there is a different psychological reaction involved, although again, the net outcome is to either see that they come to agree with me, I discard my point of view, or else I accept the discrepancy for some reason. When it comes to psychiatry, the issue is a quality of life issue, as stated, so the stakes are not academic but moral. This is the reason why I created an account on this site and decided to post about my situation here, amongst people making decisions on behalf of other human beings, with the hope that it might generate a little moral consideration about the topic of rational benzodiazepine use in stable, informed, non-abuse-inclined patients.

5.) I would hope legality would not compromise a medical health care provider's integrity. I am not aware of any laws limiting the prescription of
benzodiazepines in the United States at this time, provided that the patient has an appropriate medical reason to be prescribed them. If there are laws concerning this, I would be interested in hearing what they were so that I better understood the prevailing attitude towards benzodiazepines in psychiatry right now towards panic-disorder patients, who are compliant patients in general from all that I've read. I know that I've humored more psychiatrists than I can count when I was young by diligently taking some awful medication that gave me unacceptable side effects. By "unacceptable," I mean things like trazadone making me too orthostatic to stand up or doxepin causing a heart arrhythmia, not subjective side effects, but very objective signs that impaired me. I was compliant with medication which did not do these things, like taking a year's worth of SSRI's without any change in my symptoms.

6.) You express doubts when you say that one is unlikely to find what one needs in a "babbling brook." Perhaps there's a bit of self-projection there. Personally, I've been quite well for a long time until recently. Thus the babbling brook was a gusher. It's now quite dry.

7.) Not everyone has amnesia from benzodiazepines just because you have journals you do not remember. Personally, my Latin is quite good, as are my memories of ages 17-25, etc. I've had neuropsychiatric testing which lasted three days, and which cost 5K out of pocket, and I was deemed just fine, mentally, which I could have told you for free. Most people would say I was intelligent other than the occasional student whom I fail. I've noticed zero decline in my memory or cognition. As mentioned, I've spent much of the past near-decade attending international academic conferences where I present regularly with no one ever once noticing that I was on benzodiazepines, nor have any of my colleagues, whom I interact with daily, complained that I'm mentally dull, nor has my ability to publish been reduced, and I am, or maybe I should say was, an active member of my university governance as well. The very sad thing here is that I am now giving this up. I cannot take FMLA because that's irrelevant to me and my work, which is a life-long project, not a semester-long issue. I would just take a sabbatical if that were the case. I'm not overstating the issue when I say that the return of my original condition due to being discontinued from benzodiazepine medication is forcing me to consider an early retirement, which in my case means the loss of an entire twenty-odd year career. However, my situation should not be held up as a shining exemplar for the rationale for why benzodiazepines ought to be acceptable in "some cases" since obviously human beings from all walks of life, backgrounds, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds do deserve to have the basic ability to flourish to his or her maximum capacity. Someone like Martha Nussbaum would be the first to point this out. I am not special. I do not deserve special treatment. I do, however, deserve individualized and considerate treatment, something which all psychiatric patients deserve.

8.) If you want to discontinue your medication, it's not actually all that hard if you taper off of it very slowly. I had no particular symptoms for most of the taper. I managed several international conferences and a year of teaching. At the lower end of the medication taper, I began to find that I could no longer leave my house, and I also had a return of very severe panic attacks, which I had before. I'm pretty good at coping with them since I've had a lot of practice, and they won't kill me or anything, but they are a constant mental and physical drain, and I've grown extremely chronically anxious as well as depressed. I no longer leave my home. I no longer speak to anyone else. I have tried to go to a colleague's barbecue this week and only lasted a few minutes before stammering out some idiotic excuse and then fled home. While at the barbecue, I endured around ten distinct waves of panic attacks, trying to ride out each one, and when I realized they weren't subsiding, I tried sitting in the bathroom to collect myself, and when I emerged, they simply resumed without abating. They remind me a bit of the contractions you have during labor since sure, you can get through one, but when you have panic disorder, there's another one, and your entire psychic and mental being is enmeshed in this whole battle that is frankly exhausting. I'm highly depressed by my current state and the endless inward battle. Anxiety has, from what the literature states, as high of a suicide rate as depression does, and the two can become comorbid. The thing is, the actual discontinuation with the taper wasn't difficult at all, and if you do not have some pre-existing disorder, it shouldn't be that hard to get off medication with a slow taper. Just be rational through it and realize that your brain is adjusting to the lack of a chemical so you will feel off. There's nothing to be afraid of, however, in terms of discontinuing if you don't have some terrible condition to find on the other side. I've read some absurd reports online, and I tend to think some people are confused by their symptoms, somatizing because you will feel hyperaware of yourself for a while, as your brain adjusts. That's normal. Don't be fooled by it. Toward the lower end of the medication taper, I had episodes of feeling shaky and some headaches. The brain is highly plastic and adjusts. The problem again only arises when your original problems, depending on what they were, could come back, as they have in my situation, and then one has no treatment for them. And for what reason? For what reason? Why? Why is this state preferable to the state I was in before? Why is this "good"? Why is this "the best treatment option"? As I stated in my introductory remarks, my psychiatrist provides me only with vague, canned answers to these sorts of questions, and I would be interested in hearing whether other psychiatrists think similarly -- especially when I hear it opined on this forum quite regularly that indeed, they do -- as well as if so, then why?

I will add that I am not wholly sure of what to make of my situation, but that I would like prescribing doctors to be more aware of the very thing that this post calls for. It asks, "Why aren't benzodiazepines taken seriously in this country?" This is a good question, but for reasons which far exceed what this thread was initially premised upon. I too would request that you take benzodiazepines, and their rational and justified usage, quite seriously, more seriously than what I see happening here on this forum, amongst prescribing psychiatrists. I should only add a final note that I'm sorry that I cannot publicly endorse my post, because I would genuinely like to, and posting anonymously online hardly carries the weight that it would were I to post this with my name on it, which is, unfortunately, not possible. However, hopefully in reading this, you will note my absolute sincerity of both my statements as well as my questions. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
This place is turning into a patientdoctor forum. I don't think you will find the irresponsible prescribers devoting their free time to this forum anyways.

From my experience, its mostly Family/IM docs that have inappropriate benzo prescribing techniques. Its not their fault, its just the training is not really heavy in that area for them.

Strongly disagree. Pretty much every medstudent I've seen has enough knowledge of pharmacology to know these meds are addictive and very similar in mechanism to alcohol. I think it's really about cutting corners. In most payment models the biggest factor in reimbursement is how many patients the doctors see, and the length of time and things discussed are secondary, tertiary or not even a factor.

Benzos make the patient a production-line product. Give them a benzo, they shut up, and if the doctor is even more anti-social, it'll guarantee they come back because you've made them an addict.

Another problem is some doctors have a philosophy that unless they're doing some type of "medical" intervention they're not real doctors. Kind of like why some do not respect psychiatry or do not consider psychologists real doctors (they are doctors but of a different sort). So giving a pill and it having an effect reinforces this erroneous view that they're being doctors. Don't think psychiatrists do this? How many do we see idiotically over-medicating a borderline PD patient? (Or how about those doctors that think that fibromyalgia is BS because we don't have a clinical lab for it despite that it has been proven to exist?)

I've had discussions with several doctors on this including the ones that aren't against making patients addicts for the steady-stream of income. Some of it is really the doctor is so out of touch for whatever reason (e.g. the doctor's still practicing at 85 years old in fact even shows signs of mild dementia-I'm not kidding). Some if it is those docs aren't being sensitive to this issue and really don't give a damn, and the worst is some of those docs are actually intending to make the patients faithful customers by making them have a dependence.

On the flip-side I've seen some doctors be completely against benzos to the degree where I feel they're being unreasonable. E.g. I've had several panic disorder patients that even on a max dose of an SSRI augmented with a max dose of buspirone, augmented with a B-blocker still have panic attacks. Less but still present. E.g. they used to have 6 attacks a day but with the meds now it's 2-3x a month. Of course I recommend psychotherapy, but I'm not against such a patient getting 4 pills of Ativan 1 mg PRN panic attacks-giving them 4 pills a month. You think they're going to abuse that? You think the guy is a benzo-addict when I've had the guy for about 3 months to get him to this current state of improvement just so he could get 4 pills a month?

The above is one of the very few subsets where I had some patients in this category and didn't mind giving them chronic benzos but again they only got a few pills a month.

Last edited:
It does not bind GABAA, GABAB, or benzodiazepine receptors. It's not addictive in the classic sense. If anything, if any drug is working for you then you can become psychologically addicted to it. Lyrica binds alpha2-delta receptors that reduce calcium currents in nerves to reduce depolarization probability (to help prevent seizures but found to also help reduce pain transmission). Yes, if you suddenly stop Lyrica your body may go through a Lyrica withdrawal, but this is true for many drugs and does not mean its an addictive medication. Addiction is listed as a very rare side effect, and its pharmacology suggest so.

I see where you're coming from but I've had a lot of success with this medication, or gabapentin (I usually give gabapentin first and avoid Lyrica).

Pharmacologically you make sense but also consider the following.

Lyrica and gabapentin have seizure benefits. In someone with a benzo problem they have excessive glutamate release that causes hyper-excitation. Theoretically any seizure med could help in this case. Such is the proposed mechanism in acamprosate with alcoholics, and we all know that alcohol, while not being 100% the same thing as a benzo has a lot of similarities.

There is now enough data showing that gabapentin, like acamprosate, could be an effective treatment to prevent relapse with alcohol abuse. What's the mechanism? We don't know. We do know, however, that in studies it works, and Lyrica is very similar to gabapenting.

Further Lyrica and gabapentin do reduce anxiety, and that's a strong withdrawal sx in tapering someone off of a benzo. It might not fit perfectly in a theoretical model but there is reason to support it could work to some degree.

Getting someone of a benzo especially if they've been on one for years is difficult. If they tell me the gabapentin helps I'll give it out. I at first tried this out of desperation but after having several dozen patients tell me it has helped them tremendously I do think there's something to it. It, by the way, is currently being studied for possible publication. I know this because I was offered to be an investigator in one of these studies but I turned it down for other ones.

The first case I had where I did this, the patient had PTSD, panic disorder, and a very strong phobia of lightening (Well it could've been flashbacks from the PTSD-he got it by being struck by lightening) made worse by the fact that in Cincinnati, during the summertime there's at least 1 lightening storm (if not several) a week during the summer. \His first psychiatrist got him on a over the maximum dose of Xanax, and he was zonked out like a zombie, predictably developed a tolerance to it's anxiety benefits but remained being zonked out, and when he reached dangerous levels of Xanax use the psychiatrist terminated him telling him he could not do anything else to help him. (Pathetic right)?

I tried 2 Beta-blockers, 3 SSRIs, 2 SNRIs, and a TCA on this patient with no benefit. I tried psychotherapy that wasn't working. When lightening storms hit, the guy literally ran into his car thinking the rubber tires would protect him. This guy's GAF was below 40 and I still could not get him off of the Xanax.

I resorted to gabapentin because there is data showing it does reduce anxiety. The more I raised it the more it got him better, and I was able to convert his Xanax to an equivalent dosage of a clonazepam. About 1-2 months later we were able to taper down the clonazepam to less than 3 mg a day and he had his anxiety under control and no longer felt like a zombie. His son came to a meeting where he told me his dad was confused all the time and now they could actually do things together like play baseball or go fishing.

Because he reached the maximum dosage of gabapentin, I added a small dosage of Lyrica and at that point he needed no benzos and I never knew this until I had him for a few months, he had neuropathic pain from the lightening that hit him and that too was almost all gone.

Now is it because the gabapentin/Lyrica reduced his anxiety so he didn't need the benzo or is it more than that? Perhaps the glutamate was causing hyperexcitation as well that the gabapentin was possibly calming down? I don't know, but I know it worked and that everytime we raised the gabapentin, he didn't feel the need to take as much benzo. Yes I know that gabapentin and Lyrica do not work on the GABA receptors but I mean calm down in the sense that as seizure-meds they calmed the hyperactivity of the neurons in general.

Last edited:
I can't really respond directly to your post because that would be too close to giving medical advice. What I will tell you is the benzos are amongst the most effective drugs we have in psychiatry when used properly and judiciously. The vast majority of patients should only be on them for the shortest period of time (typically not more than 2-4 weeks) for acute severe anxiety or insomnia. Where they are used, longer acting preparations are preferred. Personally I never prescribe xanax. Xanax is one of the top 10 most prescribed drugs in this country, and the most commonly prescribed benzo so I find it odd you were told that people weren't prescribing them. Benzos are also making a bit of a comeback. Interestingly, although the are many good reasons to be cautious about their use (tolerance, dependence, rendering effective therapies ineffective, increased risk of injury and mortality, possible acceleration of cognitive impairment, withdrawal even on therapeutic doses which can include seizures and death, potential interactions with other drugs), the main reason they became vilified is because the drug companies were pushing SRIs for anxiety disorders in the 1990s. Now it turns out than SRIs are not nearly as effective for anxiety disorders as was claimed. During the same time, the concept of anxiety changed to become almost indistinguishable from depression.

Heather Ashton has little or nothing to do with current benzo prescribing practices in the UK. To my knowledge, there has been no change in the past 20 years in recommendations for use of benzos in the UK. Again this was no doubt influenced by the pharmaceutical companies. The UK guidelines for benzo withdrawal would never advocate point-blank tapering someone off their stable dose of benzos after many years, and nor would have Ashton. Unless you had very good reason to (concerns about abuse, diversion etc), you would not taper a patient off their benzos if they didn't want to. And when you do, it is up to the patient to control how quick the taper is. Typically, it is really the very end of the taper that causes the most difficulty. As you have found a major problem is persistent withdrawal state as you are experiencing. Often patients who have been on long term benzodiazepines are better off continuing on them for life. Which is why psychiatrists today are more cautious about initiating these drugs and monitoring duration. But this is very different than tapering someone who has been stable on benzos without concerns for years and is dependent on them.

I find it surprising that someone of your background is unable to find someone to prescribe benzos as many docs are all too ready to do so and it would not be unreasonable to continue someone who had been taking stable doses of benzos long term. though 1-2mg tid is a significant dose, i have met patients taking considerably more (30mg xanax/day!)

Now that SRIs are out of favor, there is actually a recent renaissance of benzos in psychiatry with several prominent psychiatrists arguing they have been overly malinged and should be used more. Interesting, a recent systematic review debunked the myth that SRIs are the treatment of choice for anxiety disorders, with no difference in efficacy ever demonstrated. Although benzo withdrawal can be lifethreatening, SRIs cause dependence and withdrawal (which has euphemistically been referred to as "discontinuation syndrome" to distance it from dependence phenomenon which it is) as well.

There are all sorts of reasons why psychiatrists may be reluctant to have chronic benzo patients. Although some do very well on stable doses without problems or dose escalation, these patients are usually the thorn in the side of a psychiatrist. Nobody ever calls after losing their prescription for antipsychotics but benzos get lost or stolen all the time, and dogs seem to love eating the prescriptions. The patients are usually completely unable to tolerate any other drug. 90% of all pt calls I used to get were from benzo patients. The personality pathology and countertransference enactments are intense. I had one patient who kept no-showing for his appointments so i eventually would not refill his benzo prescription (only recently started) and we started getting a flurry of calls and letters from the patient's mother saying "PLEASE LET MY SON LIVE!!!!" which of course I couldn't respond to etc. if the pt had turned up to clinic he would have gotten the prescriptions.

I'm sorry you have to deal with these sorts of patients. 30 mg. of xanax a day is literally insane. I'm honestly chuckling because college students sound like your "typical benzo patients" with their 8,000 excuses and stories, and similarly, we don't talk with parents although we do get angry calls; I had the misfortune of chairing on a committee that ran a particular graduation requirement for my university, sort of like a Department Chair but for graduation, and I received death threats, flip outs, and total meltdowns from non-graduating seniors, and their FERPA-defying parents, pretty often. This just reminds me of your "LET ME SON LIVE!!!!" story. Ultimately, it's sad. Human beings get themselves into these terrible states that they are in complete denial about. Similar to in psychiatry, in college, students will do better if they simply get help through attending office hours, tutoring, advising, retaking courses, finding other support, etc. although some have bad experiences with their professors and won't reach out for much-needed help. Professors share a similar power differential as psychiatrists do with patients as well in that students perceive as as either making or breaking their lives.

If I were a psychiatrist, I don't believe I would want chronic benzo patients from how you describe them, nor would I think it were ethical in most cases to initiate treatment with life-long benzos. It's a paradox though because, as you mention, benzos can help in some cases. I want to really thank you for alerting me to the history of the SRI-as-a-panacea, which I will look into further, in the general spirit of research as well as of trying to make sense out of my life and the lives of others. As much as I would like to think I could find assistance, given my standing, I haven't been able to because where I live is filled with a certain mentality that I have not been easily able define, but which certainly favors alternative therapies to medical treatment. There's a palpable fear about benzodiazepines here in the psychiatric community. The favored modalities are unquestionably things like alternative treatments, meditation, CBT, EMDR, and general talk therapy. Many psychiatrists in this area also bill themselves as acupuncturists. I'm not clear as to why since I don't really think there's much of a benefit to acupuncture except perhaps for regional pain. A quick Google search further reveals that most psychiatrists here additionally recommend Tai Chi, nutraceuticals, Qi Gong, spirituality, and emotional support animals. While it may sound like I'm kidding, this is literally a summary of what I'm looking at when I Google "psychiatrists" and my area. Perhaps these are more mainstream treatments than I credit them to be.

But that's why I thought perhaps my perception was simply geographic. Perhaps it is. That's hopeful, sort of, although I'm tenured, so I cannot move.

Personally, I find valium to be just as effective as xanax, although with more sedative effects and less precision in the dosing before giving a public presentation. I've also tried klonopin and found that worked fine, although again, it's sedating and doesn't work well for situational panic. The only benefit I could say about xanax is that it really isn't too sedating in therapeutic doses.

Well, thank you for your insights into this debacle. I'm happy to read that panic disorder patients haven't been completely forsaken, and that the SRI studies created a bit of needless confusion. Too many doctors, be they medical doctors or other sorts of doctors, fail to keep up with their research. That's as true in my field as any. I'm interested to find out more about this renaissance of psychiatrists who are advocating what sounds like what I am also suggesting: that when something is working, and that thing is the human mind, it's best to leave it be, and when it's not working, it's best to try to treat it with those legal medications that best work. Why my own psychiatrist chose to act like he was a spooked pony, suddenly changing my medical treatment without sound reason, from all that I'm gleaning, is really strange and warrants further questioning. The psychiatrist made it sound as if U.S. prescribing laws had changed or were about to. That was wholly reinforced by the experience of then trying to find further psychiatric support without any luck. Perhaps because they're all too busy doing Tai Chi. I honestly don't know. I will seek further consultation, and I appreciate your insights.

Edited to add:

1.) Strange that "anxiety" became synonymous with "depression." The two are highly distinct experiences although obviously one might cause the other, particularly anxiety causing depression.

2.) If you have citation/s for the reference/s that you mentioned, I would be interested in reviewing it/them further.

Last edited:
This place is turning into a patientdoctor forum. I don't think you will find the irresponsible prescribers devoting their free time to this forum anyways.

I assume that this was intended for the original poster of the thread. I apologize for being a "patient," although I'm also a doctor, just not a medical doctor. Still, should you ever need an expert in other aspects of the human condition, I duly offer my meagre services provided that I'm not overly crippled with existential terror at the time.

I find this from 2013, which is in line with what I've encountered: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3628173/

"Although benzodiazepines were widely used in the past to treat anxiety conditions, they are no longer considered to be first-line therapies because of the risks associated with their chronic use" (Bystritsky et al., 2013 cites Ravindran and Stein, 2010).​

Ravindran and Stein, 2010: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20667290/

Splik, you mention that "Interesting, a recent systematic review debunked the myth that SRIs are the treatment of choice for anxiety disorders, with no difference in efficacy ever demonstrated." I would very much like to see a citation for this review since it sounds like it refutes Bystritsky, Ravindran, et al.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you have to deal with these sorts of patients. 30 mg. of xanax a day is literally insane. I'm honestly chuckling because college students sound like your "typical benzo patients" with their 8,000 excuses and stories, and similarly, we don't talk with parents although we do get angry calls; I had the misfortune of chairing on a committee that ran a particular graduation requirement for my university, sort of like a Department Chair but for graduation, and I received death threats, flip outs, and total meltdowns from non-graduating seniors, and their FERPA-defying parents, pretty often. This just reminds me of your "LET ME SON LIVE!!!!" story. Ultimately, it's sad. Human beings get themselves into these terrible states that they are in complete denial about. Similar to in psychiatry, in college, students will do better if they simply get help through attending office hours, tutoring, advising, retaking courses, finding other support, etc. although some have bad experiences with their professors and won't reach out for much-needed help. Professors share a similar power differential as psychiatrists do with patients as well in that students perceive as as either making or breaking their lives.

If I were a psychiatrist, I don't believe I would want chronic benzo patients from how you describe them, nor would I think it were ethical in most cases to initiate treatment with life-long benzos. It's a paradox though because, as you mention, benzos can help in some cases. I want to really thank you for alerting me to the history of the SRI-as-a-panacea, which I will look into further, in the general spirit of research as well as of trying to make sense out of my life and the lives of others. As much as I would like to think I could find assistance, given my standing, I haven't been able to because where I live is filled with a certain mentality that I have not been easily able define, but which certainly favors alternative therapies to medical treatment. There's a palpable fear about benzodiazepines here in the psychiatric community. The favored modalities are unquestionably things like alternative treatments, meditation, CBT, EMDR, and general talk therapy. Many psychiatrists in this area also bill themselves as acupuncturists. I'm not clear as to why since I don't really think there's much of a benefit to acupuncture except perhaps for regional pain. A quick Google search further reveals that most psychiatrists here additionally recommend Tai Chi, nutraceuticals, Qi Gong, spirituality, and emotional support animals. While it may sound like I'm kidding, this is literally a summary of what I'm looking at when I Google "psychiatrists" and my area. Perhaps these are more mainstream treatments than I credit them to be.

But that's why I thought perhaps my perception was simply geographic. Perhaps it is. That's hopeful, sort of, although I'm tenured, so I cannot move.

Personally, I find valium to be just as effective as xanax, although with more sedative effects and less precision in the dosing before giving a public presentation. I've also tried klonopin and found that worked fine, although again, it's sedating and doesn't work well for situational panic. The only benefit I could say about xanax is that it really isn't too sedating in therapeutic doses.

Well, thank you for your insights into this debacle. I'm happy to read that panic disorder patients haven't been completely forsaken, and that the SRI studies created a bit of needless confusion. Too many doctors, be they medical doctors or other sorts of doctors, fail to keep up with their research. That's as true in my field as any. I'm interested to find out more about this renaissance of psychiatrists who are advocating what sounds like what I am also suggesting: that when something is working, and that thing is the human mind, it's best to leave it be, and when it's not working, it's best to try to treat it with those legal medications that best work. Why my own psychiatrist chose to act like he was a spooked pony, suddenly changing my medical treatment without sound reason, from all that I'm gleaning, is really strange and warrants further questioning. The psychiatrist made it sound as if U.S. prescribing laws had changed or were about to. That was wholly reinforced by the experience of then trying to find further psychiatric support without any luck. Perhaps because they're all too busy doing Tai Chi. I honestly don't know. I will seek further consultation, and I appreciate your insights.

Edited to add:

1.) Strange that "anxiety" became synonymous with "depression." The two are highly distinct experiences although obviously one might cause the other, particularly anxiety causing depression.

2.) If you have citation/s for the reference/s that you mentioned, I would be interested in reviewing it/them further.
Based on the description of psychiatrists where you live, I would guess you live in Eugene, Oregon.

I have family out there. Come to Southeastern Virginia and you have to turn down benzos. I had to get an MRI done and my neurologist knew that I'm already on benzos and was insisting on giving me Xanax in addition to what I already take. I kept trying to tell him that I didn't want it in any system that I get benzos from two doctors (I think it would look bad), and he didn't get why I was worried about it. I had to be FORCEFUL to turn down benzos.

My aunt on the other hand out in Eugene has seen some of the weirdest psychiatrists--like weird, weird. She even wrote a book about her life experience that strongly relates to one of them. The psychiatrists out here are weird in that they're pill pushers--the ones out there are weird in that they seem to busy finding themselves to treat their patients.

Birchswing, you wouldn't be all that far off base, but there are several reasons that I'm attempting to remain anonymous here, all of which are important, although the least important would be myself. Also, and I said this earlier, this thread is not so much about me, and I am not special but simply a more vocal, educated version of a lot of people who are suffering and who are not finding treatment. So, I feel an ethical imperative to speak up as well as to ask questions.

Now, as an academic researcher, and someone who is extremely anxious right now and thus whose schedule is quite cleared up, I did go through PubMed trying to find more information that Spilk was referencing, and I see that there is a hot debate in the Journal of American Medicine going on literally right now, today, between Mark Olfson, who is at Columbia, and Vladan Starcevic, who is at University of Sydney about benzodiazepines' rational use. I also see John H Krystal at Yale having a similar debate with Nicholas Moore, who is at University of Bordeaux and who has proposed restricting benzodiazepine use, legally, to a short-term basis, which Krystal objects to. Because my institution has the usual library embargo, and these articles are under a year old, I cannot read more than the first page or abstract. I also see that there is a large-scale review of the efficacy of various anxiety treatments by Borwin Bandelow published in the July '15 edition of International Clinical Psychopharmacology which shows that, indeed, benzodiazepines have a far more efficacious treatment outcome in a study of 30K+ patients than SRI's. I know nothing about any of these researchers other than what I gather from their CV's and institutional affiliations. Additionally, I am not a medical doctor. However, I can say that clearly there is really a lot of confusion at this particular moment amongst psychiatrists about what to do. It's clear from Bandelow's study that benzodiazepines would be the most efficacious choice, along with SNRI's, although the ethical issues surrounding their use have definitely created different responses. I most agree with Krystal's statements, although I am not currently looking at them, which basically state that if one has a substance for anxiety that is not truly dangerous, and benzodiazepines are not truly dangerous, then one should use that substance for anxiety. That's basic, good logic provided that the premises "are not truly dangerous" are true -- which apparently is in dispute if one defines "dangerous" as "an increase in elderly people falling" or "an inability to withdraw without some discomfort," which is an extraordinarily limited definition of "dangerous" in the context of medicine, and which fails to account for the original reason for prescribing, which is to 1.) improve quality of life from unacceptable to acceptable and 2.) which privileges the social good over the good of all individuals (again, a Utilitarian argument, and these, I tend to dismiss out of hand) -- and that, in fact, benzodiazepines work, which they do. Actually, the Bandelow study is intriguing in terms of how superior benzodiazepines work as compared with SRI's and moreover, complementary therapies. EMDR, for example, for anxiety disorders, comes in below placebo range, which accords with my experience that flashing lights at me for $250 an hour while tapping on my knee does not make me any less anxious. If these are not the correct studies, hopefully someone will draw my attention to the proper ones in due time.

You did say in this thread, "But we've known since the 1970s that these medications cause more harm than benefit after 4-6 weeks of use." Could you please define "more harm than benefit" and state why you believe that they are only intended for 4-6 weeks of use? Also, why do you say that "we've known (this) since the 1970's," and who is the "we" here? Your data is not supported by the current research, although the current research seems to be in dispute, in part but not in whole. Some of your statement is highly interpretive and part of what prompted me to post my own story and ethical query.

Some psychiatrists are odd, but many people like that sort of thing. Basic supply-and-demand. It's strange that they're "forcing" benzodiazepines on you in Southern Virginia, which is not all that podunk. There are some great universities in the area. What I don't understand is your earlier comment that you wanted to improve patient education, I think, about benzodiazepines? Is that reflective of your view? I'm synopsizing without looking at the exact comment, sorry. What is curious to me is this one thing: while it's true that doctor's may or may not be fantastic about explaining what medications do or do not do, the pharmacist in my area requires me to meet every single time I pick up my medication to discuss how addictive they are, verbally and in person, and then sends me home with an enormous packet of literature that I have to sign, stating that I've discussed the literature with the pharmacist. The literature is like, "Everything in here is horribly addictive. If you discontinue it, you will have terrifying withdrawals and must do this by a slow taper." It's the manufacturer's insert, I believe, because it's the same at each and every pharmacy, and it's always been there. There is a little wooden or plastic partitioned area that you have to walk over after showing your photo ID to pick up your medication since it's controlled, and in that place, you have a stern talking to with the pharmacist every single time to the point of lunacy. Also, there's more information fixed to the bottle. Are your prescriptions not as well marked in your area? That would account for the mystification that I feel when I read these online stories about, "I just didn't know what would happen," to which I wonder, "Were you in a coma when beginning your benzos?" If you were in my area, you would develop such an intimate relationship with your pharmacist that after ten years or even less in some cases, you would be talking about each others' kids and telling inside jokes about the tech, to say nothing of the horrifying physical habituation that you were cultivating in your spare time while also getting on with your life. The doctors here never explain anything about medication, however. I think they rely on the pharmacists, who do their job quite winsomely.

Last edited:
I have never had such a conversation with any pharmacist. I started on them when I was 15 and did not have access to the Internet back then or I would have researched them more. Believe me, I was scared about taking any medication. I obviously didn't pick up my meds myself back then, so I have no idea what my parents were told, but when I pick them up now, I have never had such a conversation. I use drugs.com and youscript.net to check for interactions myself.

As far as what I said about the dependence being known back in the 1970s, I know that I've read journal articles on the dependence problem that went back that far. I also know that the initial studies on efficacy only looked at a short time period. I can't direct you to anything at the moment.

I mentioned Lyrica before, and apparently it's not as addictive as I thought, or maybe not at all. It's a first-line treatment for panic in Europe. It's not an SSRI. Maybe something to ask about.

Also if you go on any forums regarding benzos, you'll see that you are in a period where withdrawal should be hitting the worst. Withdrawal and anxiety symptoms overlap but aren't identical.

One last thought. The fact that Xanax XR exists means that what you were told about benzodiazepines being dodo birds isn't exactly true. As I've written in other threads, benzo prescriptions have gone up in the last decade. I have no reason to promote benzos or Xanax, but if you do end up on a benzo again and since you seem to prefer the less sedating effect of Xanax, one with a longer half life is available. And while I would never promote illicit trade, you could always follow the advice of Albert Ellis who seemed to think there was a refutation to almost everything (in your case that you can't get Xanax). People in prison can get Xanax. You probably *can* get it. Even your PCP might prescribe it.

There's a lot in your post, but my primary takeaway from your post is that you have read journal articles that said that there were studies about this that dated back to the 1970's but that you don't know what studies these are. You've also mentioned the Ashton manual. Would the studies be connected to the Ashton manual? If so, they would probably be the Tyrer and Lader studies which stated that benzodiazepines caused brain damage, which is a silly thing to say, especially now that we've seen people grow up, take benzodiazepines, and in many cases, die after living a higher quality life. They've been available and on the market for 55 years and are a highly known quantity.

In 1982, there was a major motion picture called "I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can," which was also a book written earlier, in the 70's, by a woman named Barbara Gordon, and both documented her experience cold-turkeying off of valium. It was covered in People Magazine. It seems she likely had some comorbid conditions as well. At any rate, it raised a lot of fear in the U.S. about psychiatric medications, and her depictions of psychiatrists in the book are far from flattering, although she says she supports psychotherapy, just not day-to-day medication (it's in the People link). I bring this up to point out that Americans have long had media scares about benzodiazepines, but that they are not necessarily based in medical research so much as a few sensationalized fear-mongering reports. Did no one hear of Stevie Nicks' Betty Ford story but me? Where are the films about tens of thousands of people who have benefited by several orders of magnitude from daily benzodiazepine use? Where is the press about this? Where is the People Magazine story about all of the people who decide to not commit suicide because life is, actually, manageable after all?

Also, I'm not trying to "get Xanax." I've discontinued it. I'm just completely unclear what the rationale was for requesting that I do at this point, particularly in that this decision, which was not consensual, has not benefited anyone. Basic logic supports basic ethics here that this decision was ill-informed and/or rash, and all I wanted to know, really, was why so many psychiatrists balked at prescribing a medication that I had taken for years and years, with noticeable improvement. Because I couldn't understand the logic, and because they were not willing to speak candidly with me about this, as a patient or prospective patient, I asked here, where I am no one's patient, since I saw psychiatrists taking a similar hard-line, saying that they would never administer benzodiazepines in any case or that they had no patients taking benzodiazepines, or one, or four, and so forth, and I received what I feel is a pretty satisfactory answer which helped me research the current prescribing doctor's attitudes as well, which also gave me further insight into how contested this all really is right now. My suspicion is that the answer probably lies in a perfect storm of new, contradictory evidence in the literature, the pre-existing limitations of psychiatry to account for these contradictions, the nature of interpretative data, and individual ideology. So personally, I'm satisfied, although I'm more adamant than ever that there is a place for benzodiazepines in anxiety patients, having reviewed much more of the literature than previously.

I'm also more convinced than before, after reviewing the literature, that anxiety patients are at risk of severe depression, have a reduced quality of life, and should receive treatment, trying out a series of things to see what works. However, I am not a medical doctor in any way, shape, or form. I am, however, really, really, really anxious right now.

Last edited:
Ah, it's eating some of my edits. I hope that this isn't hopelessly hard to follow now… I added a caveat that I wanted to stay with the purpose of this forum more carefully, which is why I've confined my own comments to this thread, which struck me as off-topic enough in the first place to chime in without feeling like a total interloper. I also added that the pharmacy consultation laws seem to vary from state-to-state for scheduled medication, and this could be a source of some confusion for patients who are taking these medications.

What I don't understand is your earlier comment that you wanted to improve patient education, I think, about benzodiazepines? Is that reflective of your view? I'm synopsizing without looking at the exact comment, sorry. What is curious to me is this one thing: while it's true that doctor's may or may not be fantastic about explaining what medications do or do not do, the pharmacist in my area requires me to meet every single time I pick up my medication to discuss how addictive they are, verbally and in person, and then sends me home with an enormous packet of literature that I have to sign, stating that I've discussed the literature with the pharmacist. The literature is like, "Everything in here is horribly addictive. If you discontinue it, you will have terrifying withdrawals and must do this by a slow taper." It's the manufacturer's insert, I believe, because it's the same at each and every pharmacy, and it's always been there. There is a little wooden or plastic partitioned area that you have to walk over after showing your photo ID to pick up your medication since it's controlled, and in that place, you have a stern talking to with the pharmacist every single time to the point of lunacy. Also, there's more information fixed to the bottle. Are your prescriptions not as well marked in your area? That would account for the mystification that I feel when I read these online stories about, "I just didn't know what would happen," to which I wonder, "Were you in a coma when beginning your benzos?" If you were in my area, you would develop such an intimate relationship with your pharmacist that after ten years or even less in some cases, you would be talking about each others' kids and telling inside jokes about the tech, to say nothing of the horrifying physical habituation that you were cultivating in your spare time while also getting on with your life. The doctors here never explain anything about medication, however. I think they rely on the pharmacists, who do their job quite winsomely.

Although I can't really speak for anyone else but myself, I do suspect that in a lot of cases, even with adequate patient education, it comes down to this idea of 'well how bad can it really be?' I mean I was well aware that going cold turkey off a high dosage of Xanax (16mg max dosage, 10-12 mgs average, I'd managed to at least stabilise down to 8-10 mgs before jumping off) wasn't exactly going to be a fun ride. I knew the withdrawal was going to be unpleasant to say the least, I just had no idea how bad it was really going to be. I mean there's a difference between knowing you're in for a rough ride, and actually experiencing it as cold hard reality.

I just wanted to contribute that it is important to be specific about what type of addiction is being referred to and also to point out that most doctors have a very poor understanding of addiction and recovery from addiction. We could turn to the DSM-5 for that, but it is of limited use. As I see it, there are patients that are the traditional addict who are using substances for the euphoric properties. We all know that type. They really want to get "high". Then there are the more personality disordered type who have chronic pain or anxiety that is intolerable and need more and more of the substance to get the same effect and refuse to understand physical tolerance. Then we have patients who can use these substances safely and regularly and experience the positive effects with minimal negative effects. This is the way that it is whether it is ETOH or opiates or stimulants or benzos. There is also a group of people who will not become addicted because they experience maximum negative effects and minimal positive effects. My daughter who vomited after taking a hydrocodone for post-tonsillectomy pain is a great example. I have taken a hydrocodone for dental pain and all I feel is like I don't have a care in the world. I wouldn't trust me with those! They just work too well.

Reactions: 3 users
I just wanted to contribute that it is important to be specific about what type of addiction is being referred to and also to point out that most doctors have a very poor understanding of addiction and recovery from addiction. We could turn to the DSM-5 for that, but it is of limited use. As I see it, there are patients that are the traditional addict who are using substances for the euphoric properties. We all know that type. They really want to get "high". Then there are the more personality disordered type who have chronic pain or anxiety that is intolerable and need more and more of the substance to get the same effect and refuse to understand physical tolerance. Then we have patients who can use these substances safely and regularly and experience the positive effects with minimal negative effects. This is the way that it is whether it is ETOH or opiates or stimulants or benzos. There is also a group of people who will not become addicted because they experience maximum negative effects and minimal positive effects. My daughter who vomited after taking a hydrocodone for post-tonsillectomy pain is a great example. I have taken a hydrocodone for dental pain and all I feel is like I don't have a care in the world. I wouldn't trust me with those! They just work too well.

I hold out a faint glimmer of hope that some day it will be possible through fancy genotyping and studies of receptor subtype population expression to come up with some way of predicting which of those types people will fall into a priori. If you could do there would be a lot less reason not to give chronic stable doses of benzos to those who fall into that third category.

This is probably not distinguishable from asking for a crystal ball with our present state of knowledge.

Thank you. I was thinking about the reports that patients on benzodiazepines were particularly frustrating due to how they behaved at the pharmacy or when unable to reach their psychiatrist for a refill, which is reported both in this forum as well as on the pharmacy forum of this site. However, many of these patients are struggling with profound panic disorder. Looking back, I can comment that I have broken down completely when in this situation, not because I was an "addict" in any classic sense -- I regard myself as someone who had a physical habituation only -- but because of the anticipatory anxiety I had about possibly having more panic attacks (which I'm having now that I've discontinued medication). This could easily set off a chain of panic attacks which would be hard for everyone involved to cope with, but the humane thing would be to reassure the patient that s/he would receive his or her medication shortly rather than to further the anxiety by acting restrictively about it. Panic patients tend to hate nothing more than the feeling of being out of control, particularly of their minds. The fear of going crazy or being out of control and the need to remedy it immediately is intense, and if anything external then confirms these feelings, it can be excruciating, causing the person to panic, often EVEN IF the person knows logically that the feelings are not dangerous since the feelings themselves are simply terrible; this is why CBT fails for some people. So the result is a negative feedback loop set up by much of this system.

I have a lot of difficulty understanding the desire for a high too since I'm very alcohol intolerant, like everyone in my family, although I can manage a drink or two, and I also vomit from opiates, like your daughter. I've never taken any mind-altering drugs at all since my greatest terror is having a very altered consciousness. I won't even take gas at the dentist since it makes me panic. I don't take any painkillers, even if prescribed them, other than aspirin. And I've had a lot of surgery in my life, and the terror that I have when receiving anaesthesia is profound and has wound up having a paradoxical reaction so that instead of going under, I tend to become highly stimulated. That panic disorder patients do not tend to like to "get high" cannot be overstated enough. Also, I've never noticed the medication making me feel altered in any way besides, and when I read that or hear people say that, I find it perplexing because other than slightly drowsy, I have no other noticeable feelings from benzodiazepines, and certainly nothing that could even remotely be classified as "a high." Were that the case, I would be the laughing stock in my field for all of the conference papers that I've given while very much under the influence of xanax, as well as that I teach on it, and a lot of my teaching is highly Socratic-style seminar, so the students would definitely notice if I weren't mentally clear or were unusually euphoric in some way. According to my teaching evaluations, which I just received this morning, I was "energetic" and "enthusiastic" this past semester, which is not bad for a heavy teaching load. It's unusual to have access to this much outside observer data about oneself, but in this line of work, it's an inevitability. Perhaps the "high" is over-reported or is experienced differently by different people (like alcohol, which just makes me sleepy, never happy like it does many people)?

I hold out a faint glimmer of hope that some day it will be possible through fancy genotyping and studies of receptor subtype population expression to come up with some way of predicting which of those types people will fall into a priori. If you could do there would be a lot less reason not to give chronic stable doses of benzos to those who fall into that third category.

This is probably not distinguishable from asking for a crystal ball with our present state of knowledge.

So denying panic disorder patients appropriate medication because some of those patients might be just getting high is ethical? It's not even logical, let alone ethical, to exclude care for some patients who may improve with care because some patients may be really be facetious drug-seekers. You cannot make that either logically, or ethically, valid. Risks are risks. There will always be a subset of people who are "not having panic attacks" and are taking medication for any number of reasons ranging from drug addiction to incorrect psychiatric assessments. It would be nice if psychiatry were a more objective rather than subjective science, but yes, there are limits to this, and that's the world that psychiatrists are operating in. Note my earlier comment about the limitations of ones' knowledge and hubris. Who is to say that even if diagnostic tools were radically improved to the point of genotyping or other biomarkers, that these would always be correct and could never be manipulated? Eliminating all false positives from a sample size is invariably a flawed endeavor, regardless of the science one is using. Reducing false positives is obviously possible, but that's the point of psychiatric diagnosis itself. I think human beings are actually pretty good at determining a panic disorder patient from a non-panic-disorder patient if properly trained to do so, although not being a medical doctor, perhaps this is idealistic. Still, it's common sense. And again, one cannot logically make it right -- unless one has a very quirky or unique view of "right" -- to deny medication-that-works to people with a disorder for whom that medication works because someone without that disorder may get high.

I'm not even going to discuss the issues surrounding the right to alter ones' consciousness since these would beget a completely different conversation, although I bring this up to note that the fear of people getting "high" on benzodiazepines is pretty overstated since what is the worst that can happen? Some suburban kids feel extra-relaxed while playing XBox 360? I guess Olfson mentioned that elderly people could fall, which is true and a fine point, except that if they are anxious or depressed, they could also commit suicide.

It's really not genuine drug-seekers that would bother me in that situation - they have a pretty good idea of what they are trying to accomplish and the likely (short-term) outcomes. More troubling on the conscience for my as a (future) provider is the subset of people like OP who become dependent without wanting to or really fully anticipating it. These folks may find the experience deeply distressing. Congratulations, doctor, you have created an addict.

As someone entering a helping profession, this is a deeply distressing thought. I think you would find that we are maybe not so much in disagreement about legal rights re: mind-altering substances, but that is not the relevant consideration for at least my visceral response here. More like: I feel as if I have a fiduciary responsibility for the patient and I have just utterly betrayed it.

Thus if you could predict with a high degree of accuracy, not so much of a moral issue for me. That is simply not possible a priori at the moment, unless I am significantly more ignorant of the literature than I think I am.

For true panic disorder, I find that benzodiazepines are actually pretty unsuccessful treatment. That lot is quite sensitive to the rebound anxiety.

Regarding the rest of this discussion, suffice it to say that patient-provider, patient-med, provider-med relationships with benzodiazepines are complicated, and fraught with many problems that cannot be objectively distilled into any useful, generically applicable clinical plan -- so much so that patients go into passionate, repeated diatribes on the internet to random strangers in order to justify the holding that taking or not taking benzos is a matter of absolute life function or non-function. Interesting that this thread has both poles so eloquently argued.

For true panic disorder, I find that benzodiazepines are actually pretty unsuccessful treatment. That lot is quite sensitive to the rebound anxiety.

Regarding the rest of this discussion, suffice it to say that patient-provider, patient-med, provider-med relationships with benzodiazepines are complicated, and fraught with many problems that cannot be objectively distilled into any useful, generically applicable clinical plan -- so much so that patients go into passionate, repeated diatribes on the internet to random strangers in order to justify the holding that taking or not taking benzos is a matter of absolute life function or non-function. Interesting that this thread has both poles so eloquently argued.
I understand everything you said except for "random." This is the domain of psychiatry.

Above, I cited a July 2015 review of about 37,000 anxiety patients, of whom some are panic disorder patients, and for whom benzodiazepines are the second most successful line of treatment: http://journals.lww.com/intclinpsyc...f_treatments_for_anxiety_disorders___a.2.aspx

"To our knowledge, no previous meta-analysis has attempted to compare the efficacy of pharmacological, psychological and combined treatments for the three main anxiety disorders (panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia). Pre–post and treated versus control effect sizes (ES) were calculated for all evaluable randomized-controlled studies (n=234), involving 37 333 patients. Medications were associated with a significantly higher average pre–post ES [Cohen’s d=2.02 (1.90–2.15); 28 051 patients] than psychotherapies [1.22 (1.14–1.30); 6992 patients; P<0.0001]. ES were 2.25 for serotonin–noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (n=23 study arms), 2.15 for benzodiazepines (n=42), 2.09 for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (n=62) and 1.83 for tricyclic antidepressants (n=15). ES for psychotherapies were mindfulness therapies, 1.56 (n=4); relaxation, 1.36 (n=17); individual cognitive behavioural/exposure therapy (CBT), 1.30 (n=93); group CBT, 1.22 (n=18); psychodynamic therapy 1.17 (n=5); therapies without face-to-face contact (e.g. Internet therapies), 1.11 (n=34); eye movement desensitization reprocessing, 1.03 (n=3); and interpersonal therapy 0.78 (n=4). The ES was 2.12 (n=16) for CBT/drug combinations. Exercise had an ES of 1.23 (n=3). For control groups, ES were 1.29 for placebo pills (n=111), 0.83 for psychological placebos (n=16) and 0.20 for waitlists (n=50). In direct comparisons with control groups, all investigated drugs, except for citalopram, opipramol and moclobemide, were significantly more effective than placebo. Individual CBT was more effective than waiting list, psychological placebo and pill placebo. When looking at the average pre–post ES, medications were more effective than psychotherapies. Pre–post ES for psychotherapies did not differ from pill placebos; this finding cannot be explained by heterogeneity, publication bias or allegiance effects. However, the decision on whether to choose psychotherapy, medications or a combination of the two should be left to the patient as drugs may have side effects, interactions and contraindications."
It's not broken down in the abstract, and my institution's library has a year-long embargo on research journals, so I cannot read the full article, but I would be curious to know if the study breaks down panic disorder patients from the 37,000 total population. However, the results are not presented in an ambiguous manner here, and that is a huge sample size.

Your statement that "so much so that patients go into passionate, repeated diatribes on the internet to random strangers in order to justify the holding that taking or not taking benzos is a matter of absolute life function or non-function" could be said to be mirrored by psychiatrists as well, who, in the cases that I've mentioned above (Olfson, Starcevic, Krystal, Moore, et al), do exactly the same thing but in major publications like The Journal of American Medicine. Perhaps then the issue is 1.) important and 2.) controversial. Perhaps then the importance stems from the suicide rate surrounding failure to treat anxiety as well as general quality of life issues, and the controversy comes from the breadth of individual prescriber ideology as well as even, I would suggest, national ideologies, which seem to widely diverge about this one class of medications.

It's really not genuine drug-seekers that would bother me in that situation - they have a pretty good idea of what they are trying to accomplish and the likely (short-term) outcomes. More troubling on the conscience for my as a (future) provider is the subset of people like OP who become dependent without wanting to or really fully anticipating it. These folks may find the experience deeply distressing. Congratulations, doctor, you have created an addict.

As someone entering a helping profession, this is a deeply distressing thought. I think you would find that we are maybe not so much in disagreement about legal rights re: mind-altering substances, but that is not the relevant consideration for at least my visceral response here. More like: I feel as if I have a fiduciary responsibility for the patient and I have just utterly betrayed it.

Thus if you could predict with a high degree of accuracy, not so much of a moral issue for me. That is simply not possible a priori at the moment, unless I am significantly more ignorant of the literature than I think I am.

"Congratulations, doctor, you have created an addict" could be easily remedied by carefully explaining to all patients that they will experience a discontinuation syndrome? That's what I was told when I chose to go on medication, and my pharmacist never let me forget it either. Perhaps also explicating the difference between "addiction" and "physical habituation" would help? Either way, a practical approach seems best, especially when you have a visceral response or feel a fiduciary obligation. That's a basic logical approach to the avoidance of the kinds of personal biases that all human beings have. Also, you can carefully screen which patients respond to which medications and see if other classes of medications work first. That only seems sensible and what is recommended besides. It's also recommended to try cognitive-behavioral therapy, which must work for some people or it wouldn't still exist. Thus said, while I can only speak from my own perspective, and I now feel that perspective is adequately supported by the research, I did not see a difference made to my panic attacks, which were severe and disabling (and still are), with other medications or therapies despite diligent efforts. If you were a panic disorder patient with comorbid anxieties across the board, you might feel differently about benzodiazepines. You may when you encounter an intractable patient in the future as well since you mention you are just entering the profession. Time will tell.

Thank you for this, it's always good for people to be reminded that addiction is often far more complicated, and less clear cut than what I think a lot of people understand, even those within the medical field, and that's before you even get into the addiction versus dependency side of things.

"Congratulations, doctor, you have created an addict" could be easily remedied by carefully explaining to all patients that they will experience a discontinuation syndrome? That's what I was told when I chose to go on medication, and my pharmacist never let me forget it either. Perhaps also explicating the difference between "addiction" and "physical habituation" would help? Either way, a practical approach seems best, especially when you have a visceral response or feel a fiduciary obligation. That's a basic logical approach to the avoidance of the kinds of personal biases that all human beings have. Also, you can carefully screen which patients respond to which medications and see if other classes of medications work first. That only seems sensible and what is recommended besides. It's also recommended to try cognitive-behavioral therapy, which must work for some people or it wouldn't still exist. Thus said, while I can only speak from my own perspective, and I now feel that perspective is adequately supported by the research, I did not see a difference made to my panic attacks, which were severe and disabling (and still are), with other medications or therapies despite diligent efforts. If you were a panic disorder patient with comorbid anxieties across the board, you might feel differently about benzodiazepines. You may when you encounter an intractable patient in the future as well since you mention you are just entering the profession. Time will tell.

Somewhere along the line I appear to have given you the impression that I am somehow implacably opposed to these medications. This is incorrect. I am simply trying to say that while we can nod sagely and say that practical warnings absolve us of responsibility, I think this is an abdication of judgment that is hard to justify. I have more experience of this with opioids due to where I am currently being trained, but certain patterns seem to be consistent between these classes. Namely, someone with no prior history of chemical dependence being put on such a medication for very good reasons and finding it very difficult/functionally impossible to stop taking it.

This is just a thing that happens. I would be somewhat leery of someone with prescribing power who simply felt that this wasn't at least a little troubling as an outcome.