Why Australia? Why not US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brushbordermb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This questions is for all Canadian who choose Australia or are considering going there. Why did you choose Australia as opposed to US?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know several Canadians at USyd - most of them also didn't get into US schools. A couple of them did, but decided that they were unimpressed by the school. For most of them, it was a choice between Australia, Ireland, and the Caribbean... and we were told by the CaRMS rep (who visited USyd a couple of months ago) that Australian grads are generally better than Caribbean grads.

As far as getting a residency in the US, going to school in the US isn't a huge advantage as long as you can do a couple of electives there. The most important thing is the USMLE score, and #2 is the American rec letters (which you can get from just one elective).

As far as getting a residency in the US, going to school in the US isn't a huge advantage as long as you can do a couple of electives there. The most important thing is the USMLE score, and #2 is the American rec letters (which you can get from just one elective).

i think this is very inaccurate. many residencies will without question prefer a US grad. the GI fellow in my lab told me the hospital he worked out would hire a US grad over an IMG all things being equal, that an IMG would require stellar scores, letters, and personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think this is very inaccurate. many residencies will without question prefer a US grad. the GI fellow in my lab told me the hospital he worked out would hire a US grad over an IMG all things being equal, that an IMG would require stellar scores, letters, and personal statement.

That's what everybody says, but I think it's really just an excuse that IMGs use to make it seem like their life is harder. If you look at the average scores, they're the same.

Certain programs might prefer US grads, but I'm talking about getting a residency in general (in the field you want). If you look at those stats, they're much more equal.

That's what everybody says, but I think it's really just an excuse that IMGs use to make it seem like their life is harder. If you look at the average scores, they're the same.

Certain programs might prefer US grads, but I'm talking about getting a residency in general (in the field you want). If you look at those stats, they're much more equal.

this is NOT absolute reality. numbers are one thing. they are averages. sure you can say the img score averages are similar to those of US grad averages but the real fact is that that number is highly skewed because many residencies will not consider IMG's and thus those averages for IMG's are only for those residencies which actually hire IMG. trust me! you are absolutely not on equal footing with US grads! email the program directors directly. I'm all about studyin in australia but i certainly dont want anyone to get the wrong idea. ive been lookin into this for the last 10 years. thats why i went ahead and got PR, but you are kidding yourself in thinkin that as an IMG you are equal to a US grad so long as you have good USMLE's and rec letters. it simply isnt true. others on SDN will back this up. look up kimberly's posts.

Last edited:
Again, I agree that you're not on equal footing. There are plenty of programs that won't even consider you. You might have to compromise and go into a program that isn't one of your top priorities. But as far as actually getting a residency in your desired field, you can pull it off if you do well on the USMLE.

But anyway, before we start arguing about semantics, let me just say that jaketheory is completely right. The way I wrote my post, it's very easy to misinterpret.

Again, I agree that you're not on equal footing. There are plenty of programs that won't even consider you. You might have to compromise and go into a program that isn't one of your top priorities. But as far as actually getting a residency in your desired field, you can pull it off if you do well on the USMLE.

But anyway, before we start arguing about semantics, let me just say that jaketheory is completely right. The way I wrote my post, it's very easy to misinterpret.

pretty sure no IMG's matched into derm the past year. anything is possible but what is likely can be much different.

pretty sure no IMG's matched into derm the past year. anything is possible but what is likely can be much different.

How many applied and what were their scores/where did they study/what rounds did they do? If there are 100 derm spots in the states (picked this number out of a hat), and 300 locals applied and 30 IMGs, then it's the law of statistics that they may or may not get a spot. One needs to look deeper than the raw numbers at hand to get real insight into the state of IMG recruitment.

I agree with shan here. I think you should have a decent shot if your numbers, CV and refs are good at any particular residency. If you want to derm, then aim for derm! Just make sure you know what your goals need to be (awesome USMLE), awesome US-based refs in derm, great CV outlining your experiences in derm (research helps), etc.

Derm is the kind of program that requires you to have a lot of contacts and relevant experience in the US, which most IMGs are lacking. In general, IMGs tend to have less research experience, especially within derm... so I wouldn't be surprised if there were few people matching into it. Same is true for fields like rad onc and plastic surgery.

US Medical School Graduates be they Canadians or Foreign Nationals will never have a problem matching to US residencies. These graduates are considered US students and so after graduation can automatically get an F-1 Student Practical Training visa for residency then later on convert to H-1. Don't even have to have USMLE 3 or a license. That's what I did. I in fact have my dream job; I grew up in Vancouver, B.C. and now practice in Seattle. 2 hour trip to go back home. Work 4 days a week, weekends and evenings off and earn twice as much as UBC graduates in Vancouver.

There will always be funding for these Foreign US Graduates in residencies and getting a visa is easy.
Due to tight visa restrictions and cutback on US GME funding it will be very difficult for Canadians to enter the US graduate medical education system in the future unless they have contacts in less desirable programs. H-1 visas for Canadians require that the applicant has a state license or has done USMLE 3. In order to do USMLE 3 you need to have finished an internship. It's a catch 22. US graduates have no problem as you have an F-1 student visa during residency then apply for H-1.
Canadians can't go back to Canada because Canadian Medical Regulators are the biggest jerks in the world. There are only as many residency slots as Canadian medical school graduates so Canadian IMG's have no possibility of acquiring a residency.

This questions is for all Canadian who choose Australia or are considering going there. Why did you choose Australia as opposed to US?

Thanks.

There are many reasons, and frankly speaking, the USA is not the center of the world. I am extremely well traveled and there are a lot of interesting places on this planet. Everyone has different priorities.