Why can't MDs be called DA..doctor of allopathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aventushead

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Isn't it fair that if DOs are named the way they are, that allopathic schools should do the same and be called DAs? Since both are medical doctors, I don't think it's fair.

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't it fair that if DOs are named the way they are, that allopathic schools should do the same and be called DAs? Since both are medical doctors, I don't think it's fair.

Allopathy isn't even used by MDs. If you surveyed MD students about allopathy, I'm sure 50% or so would have no idea what you're talking about.

Allopathy is a term thrown around mostly by DO's to differentiate themselves from MD's.

Reactions: 1 user
grumpy-cat-large-face.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Things are named the way they are because of the history behind them. Where else in society do we refer to ourselves by our degrees? Lawyers aren't called JDs, they have a JD. I have a BS, doesn't make me a BS.

Yea. Allopathy was a pejorative term coined by early osteopaths.

If anything, DO should be changed to OMD or MDO. But, why bother? Who cares what letters you have after your name?

If anything, DO should be changed to OMD or MDO. But, why bother? Who cares what letters you have after your name?
LMNOP

Reactions: 3 users

No, it was coined by homeopaths. And OMD means doctor of oriental medicine.

oh-my-god-who-the-hell-cares.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Why does this topic come up every other day?

Members don't see this ad :)

The answer is: because we (DO's) created our own degree separate from the MD establishment. We wanted t this way.

And at the end of the day, we are all fully and equally licensed physicians (md or do) so it shouldn't really matter what our "initials" are.

This may be the same topic, but a different question ive never thought of before! I wouldn't mind MDs being called DAs.

First off... :welcome:

Now, put your big boy pants on and stop whining. :nono:

No one is forcing you to have those initials after your name. What astounding insecurity. There's nothing unfair about it. The initials were created hundreds of years ago for MDs and over 100 yrs ago for DOs. The initials M.D. could stand for Magic Dragons and they would still be licensed as physicians with the same practicing rights. If you don't like the initials, apply elsewhere. You do realize that DOs are the ones that made up their own initials, correct?

This isn't The Scarlet Letter. Plus, I think District Attorneys might get upset.

First off... :welcome:

Now, put your big boy pants on and stop whining. :nono:

No one is forcing you to have those initials after your name. What astounding insecurity. There's nothing unfair about it. The initials were created hundreds of years ago for MDs and over 100 yrs ago for DOs. The initials M.D. could stand for Magic Dragons and they would still be licensed as physicians with the same practicing rights. If you don't like the initials, apply elsewhere. You do realize that DOs are the ones that made up their own initials, correct?

This isn't The Scarlet Letter. Plus, I think District Attorneys might get upset.
I've always wanted to guest star on Law & Order.

Reactions: 3 users
I give it a few years before this acronym actually exists as the Licenced Medical Naturopath and Osteopathic Practitioner, which is totally what the naturopaths were gunning for when there was a merger between the DO and naturopathic boards in CA.

I give it a few years before this acronym actually exists as the Licenced Medical Naturopath and Osteopathic Practitioner, which is totally what the naturopaths were gunning for when there was a merger between the DO and naturopathic boards in CA.
Well, it is a current mnemonic for heart failure treatment, so they'd have to fight with that.

http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/allopathic.html
M.D.s practice allopathic medicine. The term "allopathy" was coined in 1842 by C.F.S. Hahnemann to designate the usual practice of medicine (allopathy) as opposed to homeopathy.

Both the AAMC and ACGME use the term to refer to MD programs:
https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/Roadmap to Residency 2ndEd.pdf
http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramResources/THOverviewoftheACGME.pdf

Last edited:
No, it was coined by homeopaths. And OMD means doctor of oriental medicine.
http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/allopathic.html
M.D.s practice allopathic medicine. The term "allopathy" was coined in 1842 by C.F.S. Hahnemann to designate the usual practice of medicine (allopathy) as opposed to homeopathy.

Both the AAMC and ACGME use the term to refer to MD programs:
https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/Roadmap to Residency 2ndEd.pdf
http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramResources/THOverviewoftheACGME.pdf

Eh, I misremembered. Still, who cares?

The insecurity you feel is just a premed issue. You'll forget about being a DO once people start addressing you as doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
which is totally what the naturopaths were gunning for when there was a merger between the DO and naturopathic boards in CA.

Holy hell please tell me you're joking. This is how DO's lose credibility and they deserve everything they get.

Holy hell please tell me you're joking. This is how DO's lose credibility and they deserve everything they get.
It wasn't the DOs choice. It was a last minute change by the governor at the time to the budget that attempted to consolidate the two boards in order to save the state money. It was later reversed when the DOs in the state were like "wtf, we are not at all the same, they have no place on our board."

In Oregon, DO's MD's Accupuncturists, and I think Podiatrists all share the same licensing board.

Using the initials DA would make it way to easy for disgruntled patients to hate on our allopathic colleagues. To these patients, John Doe, DA would really mean Dr. *******.

You can thank your founder for that!

From Wikipedia: Still founded the American School of Osteopathy (now A.T. Still University of the Health Sciences) in Kirksville, Missouri, for the teaching of osteopathy on 10 May 1892. While the state of Missouri granted the right to award the MD degree,[15] he remained dissatisfied with the limitations of conventional medicine and instead chose to retain the distinction of the DO degree.[16] In 1898 the American Institute of Osteopathy started the Journal of Osteopathy and by that time four states recognized the profession.[17]

So basically A.T. Still was the biggest douche of all time.... He's the cause of all this consternation and lack of self-esteem among his followers a century on! You read right.... All you DOs could be MDs right now if Pappy Still hadn't been such an intransigent old douchebag

This is the most silly thing I have ever heard, traditionally most people view doctors as MDs, so Allopathic schools do not have to distinguish themselves.

Oh my god, my cousin was right... Met the kid for the first time and was immediately asked, "are you a hipster?" But how can this be, I've never liked anything before it was cool!
45148447.jpg

Reactions: 7 users