Why can't programs just tell us the whole price?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baseballDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is just me complaining but I find it extremely annoying that I can't go to a school's website and find out how much I, as a year-round student, will pay for a full year in tuition and fees. Is this so that I look at the price for the "Academic Year" and think "hey, that's not too bad," only to find out that this price doesn't include the summer session. Is this meant to deceive us? Why not give the entire cost? Argh!

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely annoying, and SOOOO many schools do this. It certainly gives you the impression that schools don't want you to have the entire story before you commit. I would always ask the program the cost of each semester, cost of fees, additional costs, and what specific fees you as a student would be responsible for. I also would ask about the cost of living expenses. Once you get these numbers, then you can do your OWN calculations.

don't forget inflation, because inevitably the cost of tuition increases each year (unless you're fortunate enough to go to a school with a tuition freeze/cap, which is rare from my understanding). ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
They want to hook you late as they can. Actually, if they get their way, they'd already have you matriculated by the time you may realize what you're actually going to pay for the whole thing.

Schools website are a nightmare to sort through and find actual tuition rates. Even then you have to be careful about fees and such. I can say I have gotten better at finding tuition rates sooner off of random schools websites after spending so much time sorting through the BS from dozens of times looking at schools across the nation. Such a strange skill to have acquired from the PT admission process.. :oops:

What I end up doing is going to each school's website, looking at the cost of one graduate credit, and multiplying that by the total number of credits in the program. That gives me a base cost to go from at the very least.

Some schools won't give you the exact amount until the day of the interview. On the day of the interview they give you a sheet detailing the cost of tuition and fees. I agree with what DancerFutureDPT said about the cost of tuition rising each year. You should ask the schools whether or not the tuition is a set rate for the entire program.

Any schools that receive Title IV funding (their students are eligible for federal financial aid programs) are required to list their costs a certain way. I work for a college that is year-round, and our admissions reps actually created a worksheet to give potential students a better idea of what to expect.
When I look at a school, I always estimate the books, uniforms, supplies, etc at an additional $1500. You know you'll need it as prices change or additional supplies are required.

I agree! Especially when we are all trying to factor in cost as one of the reasons to choose a particular program over another. Soooo annoying.