Why dentistry? PLEAse help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T-shirt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.. It's pretty late on Saturday night and I'm hoping someone out there can help me sine I have so many questions on my mind right now...

I graduated undergrad from harvard in '00 (had a 3.1), but had no intention of going into the health care world. so now i'm going to do a postbac to do my pre-med/pre-dental requirements... (probably at a SUNY school)..

Anyway, postbac starts this june and i'm spending these next few months volunteering and i'm struggling between going into dentistry or medicine (specifically, family medicine). i'm trying to evaluate my values and what i want out of life and a career.

So I'm trying to decide between family medicine and dentistry..ANy input would be SOOOO valuable to me...Please please help.

This is what I know...
*I know I want to help people and find fulfillment in what I do.
*I know I want to feel secure as far as money and job security
*I know I want to build relationships with patients.
*I know I DONT want make life/death decisions for my patients
*I DONT want high stress.
*I know I want a social life and time to fulfill other aspirations in life (like being a part-time youth basketball coach).

I know this is random..probably not too coherent..I really need advice. WHat inspired you to go for dentistry? Okay, I should go out or something. later.. and please please write! thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure I'll receive heat for this but I have to be honest. First off why dentistry or medicine? Surely you realize there are other occupations that will meet your expectations without the great expense (of schooling) and hassel of admission. Why not be a stockbroker, physical therapist, teacher/professor, optometrist, or chiropractor? I'm not trying to be rude but if you are asking why someone would want to be a dentist-----I don't think dentistry is for you. It shouldn't be something that you are looking to be convinced on but something you are looking to understand and embrace. Don't go into medicine or dentistry for any other reason than-----passion. The schooling in either area is to extensive to go through without wanting it 100%!! Plus-- most dental and medical schools are 4 years of study and cost on aver. $80,000!!! Is this what you are looking for? Are you willing to sacrifice 4 years of your life? ( and if you are thinking of medicine you have another 3 years of residency!!!!!!!) Once again I don't mean to be rude but there are lots of alternatives to consider!

Well I, for one, wouldn't question your motivation to enter either medicine or dentistry.

You sound like you'd rather be a dentist. For the most part the life of a dentist is pretty hum-drum. Dentists enjoy a good salary, no emergencies, no call, short training (compared to other medical specialties), and a good time with patients that almost never die on you.

Then again if you're looking for a challenge, go for medicine.
smile.gif

Tim W. of N.Y.C.
(an anti-dentite?)

Members don't see this ad :)
T-shirt--
Please don't be mislead by turtleboard---he may not want to question your motivation----but others will!!!!! Your recommendation's (for admissions) will have to come from others and they'll want to know your motivation. You will have to interview at several colleges and they'll want to know your motivation. You'll have to endure many years of extra education and YOU WILL need motivation.
Coming from Harvard---I'm sure you can handle the rigors of academia. My point is-----make sure that med/dentistry is exactly what you want to do. My suggestion is to shadow a dentist for a couple of weeks and see if that is what you want to do for the rest of your life!!! If it is---GO FOR IT----like turtleboard above----you'll have more time to do the thing you love. Good luck in your decision!

[This message has been edited by Dr.2b (edited 02-18-2001).]

hey, thanks for the replies guys.

i'm actually shadowing both dentists and docs and i'm totally enthralled by both.

we'll see what happens.. you're right turtleboard..i'm leaning towards dentistry ;-). later.

calbear,

Perhaps you've missed the point of
smile.gif
being placed ever-so-strategically at the end of my statement, "Then again if you're looking for a challenge, go for medicine.
smile.gif
" This means that my comment was merely in good humor and good-natured jabs at our beloved oral health professionals.

I thought you Californians were supposed to be a heck of a lot more laid back. Did you grow up in New York?
smile.gif

W.

Is there a podiatrist in the house?

W.

wu your humor is one sided ..... i think calbear was just joking too.
smile.gif
i dont know for sure but thats the way i see it
smile.gif
jk