Why Dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tapoafom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm a first year and I'm just trying to get a feel for all the specialties out there. Could any of you elaborate on what attracts to dermatology as specialty? Was it a particular case you saw? What about the pathology do you enjoy? Any procedures you like? Etc. Or is it just the lifestyle? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

tapoafom said:
Hey y'all. I'm a first year and I'm just trying to get a feel for all the specialties out there. Could any of you elaborate on what attracts to dermatology as specialty? Was it a particular case you saw? What about the pathology do you enjoy? Any procedures you like? Etc. Or is it just the lifestyle? Thanks.

If you are looking for stuff to say during your interviews here are a few lines you can feed people:

1. Its an exploding field
2. I am dedicated to academic medicine
3. The skin is soooooo fascinating
4. I want to be on the consult team because they have good hours
5. Open Comedos excite me
6. If its dry wet it, if its wet dry it, and if you dont know what it is, hit it with 'roids.

JH

7. "I was torn throughout the third year, because I loved both medicine and surgery. When I did my derm rotation, I fell in love, because the field has aspects of both!!!"

8. "What other field has so many attractive, thin, white females?"

9. "I have a sincere interest in academic medicine."

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahahahahahahaha

#8 works best when a) you have no pants on and b) you follow it up with a "how you doin?" if your interviewer happens to be an attractive, thin, white female!

Wait, that kinda stuff really happens on interviews?

Alright, that's it. I'm studying my tail off for Step 1!

cdql said:
hahahahahahahahaha

#8 works best when a) you have no pants on and b) you follow it up with a "how you doin?" if your interviewer happens to be an attractive, thin, white female!
I hear this works particularly well back West.

:laugh: