Why did ASPRS drop the "Reconstructive" part of name in '99 to become ASPS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinietzschon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to my reading, ASPS was ASPRS from the founding in the 1920's. Then 1999, they dropped "Reconstructive," but I can't find a rationale for why they decided this was not only appropriate, but worth changing the name officially...

Is this a case of, “we shouldn’t be apologetic about being the go-to for cosmetic surgery, we do a lot of cosmetic surgery, let’s show we aren’t ‘hiding’ behind ‘reconstructive’ and shove it in the face of anyone saying we’re frivolous…”?

I’m personally very inspired by the reconstructive work PRSs do, I haven’t met anyone of actual note detracting from the work PRSs do (including cosmetically), I have read arguments that scholarship in plastic and reconstructive surgery tends (as a trend, not in all cases of course) to be more ‘case study’ and less ‘hard science’ but then again a lot of what must be aesthetic as well as functional must leave wiggle room for personal judgments and styles, and on top of it the average PRSs aren’t remunerated as much as the average orthos, NSs, etc…

Popular culture TV aside, isn’t PRS national leadership usually ostensibly for greater public outreach and striving to do all they can for the stature of the field? Is there another plastic and reconstructive society which split off or was competing and ASPS just went away from ‘reconstructive’ to not step on that society’s (which I don’t know of yet) toes? Why did they drop the R?

Thanks for any info or just thoughts on the matter. I don’t get the general consensus on the self-esteem of the PRS field yet.

---

Also, this has nothing to do specifically with the above but,

“Candidates for this fellowship must demonstrate a profound interest in the study of peripheral nerve surgery.
To apply, you must be a board eligible, fully trained resident in either neurosurgery, orthopedics or a similar surgical reconstructive specialty.”
- http://www.mayo.edu/msgme/residenci...nerve-surgery-fellowship-minnesota/admissions
…I don’t know anything really about the program and I know this is out of the blue but this is what I’m talking about. “surgical reconstructive specialty.” I get that neurosurgery gets named first, ortho I can see being named of course esp with spines, but it almost feels like they’re deliberately jabbing at PRS using the word reconstructive but not wanting to mention PRS. Unless there’s something fundamental I’m missing and most people trained in extremity salvage don’t have painfully obvious “reconstructive specialization.” I like a lot about the field but I feel like people - not just lay public but academics, professionals, other MDs - have an actual problem with respecting PRS. Am I oversensitive? Am I making it out to be much worse than it is? Are PRS people trying to do anything for the professional stature of the field or maybe they’re just all fantastically happy with their jobs and are obliviously ‘above it’?
Thanks… heh, obviously my real questions are not really about the "R" though I am curious about the trivia answer on that as well if anyone knows!

Members don't see this ad.

editorial by mark constantian - PRS November 2002 p 1575, offers his discussion and commentary