Why did you become a doctor?

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your reasons for becoming a doctor? "Because of the salary" is not a valid reason.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your reasons for becoming a doctor? "Because of the salary" is not a valid reason.

Because I am too pretty to be a dancer.

Asking an open-ended question and telling your response group a particular set of responses is invalid is not the best way to get said response group to write your personal statement.

(I am mean today!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I'm passive aggressive toward the rules against wearing white after labor day.

A gang of doctors murdered my family, set my house on fire, and raped my dog. I'm trying to infiltrate their ranks and take them down from within.

A gang of doctors murdered my family, set my house on fire, and raped my dog. I'm trying to infiltrate their ranks and take them down from within.

You gotta watch out for those roving gangs of doctors.... the economy sure has affected everybody :(

There are more subtle ways to steal ideas for you essays......

There are several reasons. Probably most important was the cops were starting to catch on to my practicing medicine without a license, so I figured I'd go legit. I also wanted easier access to opiates and amphetamines. Furthermore, the "D" in "Dr." uses less ink than the "M" in "Mr." so it's really the only environmentally conscious way to justify the large amount of mail I receive.

Infiltrator!!! Wait till me and my gang of roving docs find you. Make sure you get another dog. Once I find you, I'll need something radical to do to express my anger.+pissed+

Why does the sun rise? I don't know why I am a doctor, I just know that I am doomed to wander the earth fighting with other doctors until there is just one of us left.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. I ask for people's convictions as to why they wanted to become doctors. Instead, I get a bunch of flaming responses where people make assumptions. There goes the internet. Thank you for the one somewhat decent response. The rest of you should consider being a little bit more professional and not accuse people of things.

Wow. I ask for people's convictions as to why they wanted to become doctors. Instead, I get a bunch of flaming responses where people make assumptions. There goes the internet. Thank you for the one somewhat decent response. The rest of you should consider being a little bit more professional and not accuse people of things.

You're welcome.

Okay, I asked this on the medical forums and people thought that I was looking for personal statement solutions. I am not here to do that. Here is a tip for some forum ethics: If you have something nice to say/contribute; say it. If you don't; shut up and leave.

So what are some things that inspired you to pursue a doctor/healthcare related career?

I would like to get my DVM because most of my family on my dad's side have doctorates, but not in medicine. So I would like to prove to my family that I can do this and become good at. I know it's going to be challenging, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

if you ever become a medical student, you will realize relatively quickly how out of line you are, and how ridiculous/obnoxious this thread is. Until then, cheers! :highfive:

You should use the search function. You think you're the first person to ever ask this question? I know we're all unique snowflakes but really?!?!

You should use the search function. You think you're the first person to ever ask this question? I know we're all unique snowflakes but really?!?!

it isnt even so much the lack of originality as it is dictating what we can and cannot respond with per the first response.

Why did I become a doctor? Well gosh, I guess it's because ever since I was a little boy I just wanted to help people. You know, I don't tell this story often, but I remember when I was seven years old, one time I found a bird that had fallen out of its nest, so I picked him up and I brought him home and I made him a house out of an empty shoebox and... oh my God!

I became a doctor for the same four reasons everybody does: chicks, money, power, and chicks.

Why did I become a doctor? Well gosh, I guess it's because ever since I was a little boy I just wanted to help people. You know, I don't tell this story often, but I remember when I was seven years old, one time I found a bird that had fallen out of its nest, so I picked him up and I brought him home and I made him a house out of an empty shoebox and... oh my God!

I became a doctor for the same four reasons everybody does: chicks, money, power, and chicks.

Also chicks :thumbup:

I would ship this thread off to pre-allo if I could, but I can't. :(

Thanks for letting us be honest in this one. I'm doing so I can be BALLIN!! I'm gonna make so much money, the women will be all over me.

Here is a tip for some forum ethics: If you have something nice to say/contribute; say it. If you don't; shut up and leave.

I don't think somebody who is cross-posting the same topic in multiple places and telling people to "shut up" has any ground to stand on when talking about ethics.

I'm gonna be your friend and help you understand why this is happening. If you aren't mature enough to know why YOU want to go into a profession, then you shouldn't go into it. If you don't have a good reason to become a doctor (a reason of your own) then, IF you make it through med school, you will be one of those piss poor doctors that hates their job and everyone else hates.

Last edited:
Because I otherwise fail at everything else.

In all honesty, most people do it because they like science and people.

It's YOUR job to make your personal statement sound interesting. It is really hard to do, but none of us is going to be able to give you any good hints other than to try to tailor it to your unique experiences without sounding crazy.

Why does the sun rise? I don't know why I am a doctor, I just know that I am doomed to wander the earth fighting with other doctors until there is just one of us left.

I would laugh at this, but I know the day will come when we will meet and have to fight to the death. There can be only one...

Maybe because it's a way to be guaranteed to be in the top 3% of income earners in America while helping sick patients :shrug:?

I feel bad for brushing off the OP before. If you really want an idea for your PS, then here is my story of why I wanted to go into medicine:

I grew up in Philly and was basically a goof-off. I had no aspirations of going into medicine and just played basketball all day and lazed around. I probably wouldn't have amounted to anything in life, but eventually the overwhelming presence of gang violence in my community became too much. My parents recognized this and sent me to live with my extended family in one of the nicer areas in LA. It was rough adjusting at first, but I started to see how seriously my cousin took his schooling, and became inspired to have my own accomplishments. Plus, I was tired of repeatedly letting down my uncle with my poor performance in school. He has a law degree and is an excellent role-model for the serious student. So I set my sights on medicine and never looked back.

I feel bad for brushing off the OP before. If you really want an idea for your PS, then here is my story of why I wanted to go into medicine:

I grew up in Philly and was basically a goof-off. I had no aspirations of going into medicine and just played basketball all day and lazed around. I probably wouldn't have amounted to anything in life, but eventually the overwhelming presence of gang violence in my community became too much. My parents recognized this and sent me to live with my extended family in one of the nicer areas in LA. It was rough adjusting at first, but I started to see how seriously my cousin took his schooling, and became inspired to have my own accomplishments. Plus, I was tired of repeatedly letting down my uncle with my poor performance in school. He has a law degree and is an excellent role-model for the serious student. So I set my sights on medicine and never looked back.

/thread :laugh:

Not going to help you get chicks. If you can't get chicks now, you're not going to be able to as a doctor.

I thought I became a ******ed med student, not a doctor...

Not going to help you get chicks. If you can't get chicks now, you're not going to be able to as a doctor.

It's a Scrubs reference :rolleyes:

[YOUTUBE]imI8baMrfGo[/YOUTUBE]

Wow...... +1 Internet for you. That was awesome. :laugh:

Most of us here are not doctors.

Better question: Why did I become a medical student?

To become a doctor, assclown!

You just contradicted yourself here. You said that you want to be a doctor for money and women.

In deference to not knowing if English is your first language or not, I'll just say, it seems pretty clear that the first response was a joke. blub1212 was being sarcastic.

I have a strong desire to know literally everything there is to know a.t.m. about the human body.

As you progress in your education, you will learn that this is quite literally impossible. The volume of knowledge encompassed by the medical profession is so vast, and expanding at such a phenomenal rate, that it is not possible to know "literally everything." It's one of the things that's both exciting and frustrating.

You just contradicted yourself here. You said that you want to be a doctor for money and women. In my opinion, that isn't a good reason to go to medical school. Why would you put yourself in such a great amount of debt and through all of that hell during med school and residency? Money and girls wouldn't be enough motivation to get me through tbh. Money is great and all, but there are much faster/less stressful ways to make money than becoming a doctor.

To at least contribute to this thread, I'm going into medicine because I want to do something meaningful with my life and because I have a strong desire to know literally everything there is to know a.t.m. about the human body. I want my career to mean something to someone else. I want my decisions to change someone's life for the better. I want to be appreciated. Not many other careers can say that.

Barrrf

I'm gonna be your friend and help you understand why this is happening. If you aren't mature enough to know why YOU want to go into a profession, then you shouldn't go into it. If you don't have a good reason to become a doctor (a reason of your own) then, IF you make it through med school, you will be one of those piss poor doctors that hates their job and everyone else hates.

I know why I want to go in medicine. I'm asking for other peoples opinions. You haven't been too helpful.

I don't think somebody who is cross-posting the same topic in multiple places and telling people to "shut up" has any ground to stand on when talking about ethics.

Boom. Head shot

I would laugh at this, but I know the day will come when we will meet and have to fight to the death. There can be only one...

What a sad day for humanity. What happens to doctor couples. Will they just off one another or join forces? Should I get a girlfriend in surgery? She'll be good with knives. Or one in psych, they're great at playing mind games.

OP, i just want to know why money is an "invalid" reason...

OP, i just want to know why money is an "invalid" reason...

Because for the first 25 yrs of working life, a UPS driver makes same as a doctor.

http://graphaday.blogspot.com/2010/04/doctor-salary-vs-ups-driver.html

doctor_salary.gif

Lol that graph is misleading in terms of quality of life. I mean, obviously until you finish residency the truck driver might have more money. However, your borrowing power is much higher has a physician than a truck driver any day. Also, quality of life has an exponential curve to it. The bare necessities cost only so much - ie food, clothes, etc. So to increase QoL you only need to make more money than baseline regardless of debt.