Why do General Chem problems take so long figure out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sodiumd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back in Chem II, I used to think that the professor was being unreasonable in expecting us to finish his exam in 1.25 hours. But now, through my preparation for the PCAT, I have come to realize that I was wrong because I am having the same issue with practice exams in the chemistry section. I know the PCAT is not unreasonable because there exists people who have made a 90+ on this section. For all you fast chemistry test takers out there, how do you do it?

Members don't see this ad.

To cut down on time, surprisingly, I learned to approximate and I almost never wrote down any calculations on my paper (all done in my head). Not sure if this is great advice or not, but it did get me an 85 on the July 2012 PCAT. Other then that, the section was much like biology. Learn and apply, not many ways around it i'm afraid.

Also some problems just take up too much time to be worth it. Balancing chemical equations is a good example. Sometimes it would take me less then a minute, other times i'd sit there for 4-5mins just to solve one problem. A problem like this was seemingly easy, but took MUCH longer to solve then some of the conceptual questions.

To cut down on time, surprisingly, I learned to approximate and I almost never wrote down any calculations on my paper (all done in my head). Not sure if this is great advice or not, but it did get me an 85 on the July 2012 PCAT. Other then that, the section was much like biology. Learn and apply, not many ways around it i'm afraid.

Also some problems just take up too much time to be worth it. Balancing chemical equations is a good example. Sometimes it would take me less then a minute, other times i'd sit there for 4-5mins just to solve one problem. A problem like this was seemingly easy, but took MUCH longer to solve then some of the conceptual questions.
Approximating seems like a great idea.

I skipped ones that took longer and came back to them. I had no issues with completing the Chemistry section. I got a 79 composite, don't remember my Chem score but it wasn't great :D

Members don't see this ad :)
The key to general chemistry was practice. You had to fly through practice problems numerous times to know what to do on exams.

The PCAT is a little different, most of the chemistry is conceptual so there isn't much math. You should focus on all general chemistry topics, know definitions, and know how things work. The math you do get should be basic stuff like gas laws or thermochemistry.

I got 93rd percentile in chemistry without ever having an organic chemistry or biochemistry class and mainly using the $45 Kaplan book, so if I can do it, you can do it.

This may sound strange, but you will become much faster if you start tutoring or helping someone else on the PCAT chemistry problems or to do chemistry problems in an intro chemistry class. You are probably looking at the problems one way, if you tutor someone, or work to help others you will start to look at many different ways to solve problems and invariably some will be faster than others.

The key to general chemistry was practice. You had to fly through practice problems numerous times to know what to do on exams.

The PCAT is a little different, most of the chemistry is conceptual so there isn't much math. You should focus on all general chemistry topics, know definitions, and know how things work. The math you do get should be basic stuff like gas laws or thermochemistry.

I got 93rd percentile in chemistry without ever having an organic chemistry or biochemistry class and mainly using the $45 Kaplan book, so if I can do it, you can do it.
+1
If you keep on practicing everything will seem much more easier.

for example if you just memorize a formula, you have to recall it and then try to apply it again. But if you know it and practiced it and understood it you just saved yourself a minute and confusion weather if it belongs on the left or the right, does it go on the top or bottom when dividing,etc...

+1
If you keep on practicing everything will seem much more easier.

for example if you just memorize a formula, you have to recall it and then try to apply it again. But if you know it and practiced it and understood it you just saved yourself a minute and confusion weather if it belongs on the left or the right, does it go on the top or bottom when dividing,etc...
Thank you for this valuable advice. It makes so much sense.

In addition to above, where possible, learn trends so you can "common sense check" your answer. Also, learn to work backwards from the multiple choice answers to estimate the answer rather than working the entire problem. Then, you can choose an answer relatively confidently & mark to come back to work it out if you still have time.