why do people use orgo to refer to organic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bewitched1081

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
their isnt even another o in organic nor in chemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

I say o-chem. Orgo sounds ******ed

Members don't see this ad :)
O-chem for the west coast, orgo everywhere else. Who knows why? O-chem makes the most sense to me. Those damn yuppy ivy-leaguers... :D

We called it o-chem at CWRU. I also think orgo sounds silly.

"Orgo" is actualled the common name whereas "O-chem" is the IUPAC name. C'mon yall, does it really have to make sense?? I mean, Apple Jacks doesn't taste like apples, but we still call it apple jacks...

My school calls it "Orgallary Distillichemistra" for short. "Orgo" should be "Orga". O-chem sounds stupid. Why don't we just call it "Orgasm"?

All the hippies like to keep it "Organic" :luck:

I never used to call it anything other than Organic Chemistry before I was accepted at Columbia's Postbac Program. They call the second year of the program "Orgo/Bio year", so the name just sort of stuck with me. I guess to each their own, because O-Chem sounds like the name of a sugared-up power drink to me. :smuggrin: "Feeling tired? Falling asleep in class? Try O-Chem! Guaranteed to keep you awake for 48 hours straight or your money back!"

the dispute may go on, but nobody can deny the only acceptable abbr. for analytical chemistry, Analchem

Members don't see this ad :)
CoronaMan said:
"Orgo" is actualled the common name whereas "O-chem" is the IUPAC name. C'mon yall, does it really have to make sense?? I mean, Apple Jacks doesn't taste like apples, but we still call it apple jacks...

I think I love you.

To the OP, if this is the extent of your worries in life, I'd say you're doing pretty well! :thumbup:

Truthfully, because orgo is shorter and it sounds good--don't ask me why, it's psychological...lol

on a related note...it took me awhile to figure out what course people were referring to as "diffyq". Unfortunately, I eventually figured it out because I had to take it. Differential Equations.

I always said "Organic" until people came along and started calling it "O-Chem," but I don't think I've ever called it "Orgo." That just sounds bad.

How much shorter is it to say orgo, orga, or O-chem than just plane organic chemistry? Unless you have a speech impediment or learning problem, call it by it's full name. I don't suppose your anatomy professor would accept AV valve over atrioventricular valve, or would he?

Wow who knew pre-med kids were funny???

bewitched1081 said:
Why the F do you care?

mochafreak said:
on a related note...it took me awhile to figure out what course people were referring to as "diffyq". Unfortunately, I eventually figured it out because I had to take it. Differential Equations.

diffyq = diffeeque = Diff Eq

ya, the name made it sound like a fun class. Little did I know ...

Also, when chemicals are administered to you its CHEMO therapy, so when organic chemicals are being force fed (taught) to you its ORGO therapy !!! :)

well if you know anything about medical terminology, most of the words are split up into parts when you learn them, like connector words. the "O" is used as a connector to create the words. Ex: oto/ laryngo/ology make up the word otolaryngology, but you drop one of the "O"'s between laryngo and ology other wise it would be otolaryngoology. get my drift. so maybe that's where the whole orgo thing started I really don't know. :D :D :laugh:

I don't know what you all are talking about...I took orgonic chemistry!

By god, threads like this remind me why everyone makes fun of the pre-allo forum. Could you be any more anal? Can you even squeeze a fart out of your puckered ass?

I call it orgo. If you don't like it, bite me. Just be careful not to bear down when you do, because your colon might come shooting out like a loaded spring.

The Ivy League calls it orgo.

To solve this heated debate, I propose we get rid of O-Chem/Orgo/Orga/Organic Chemistry completely. That would solve everything! We REALLY don't need it anyway. Next time you meet a doc, ask them to describe the synthesis of a ketone. You'll get some funny answers!

FutureDocDO said:
How much shorter is it to say orgo, orga, or O-chem than just plane organic chemistry? Unless you have a speech impediment or learning problem, call it by it's full name. I don't suppose your anatomy professor would accept AV valve over atrioventricular valve, or would he?

Dude, it's just premed jargon. It's supposed to be a joke , don't take it too seriously. As premeds , most of us are still kids, so our stupidity has to come out in some way. Remember what frued said about our inner negative energies.

Dr Dean said:
The Ivy League calls it orgo.

The State of Michigan also calls it Orgo.

Since California only does things to be different (like elect the star of "Commando" and "Predator" governor), I think that settles the debate.

Organic Chemistry = Orgo, not O-Chem :D

you guys are soooo funny!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I prefer O-Town to O-chem, actually.

Why do we call chemical therapy "chemotherapy" or just plain "chemo"?

The world may never know.

And for the whole orgo vs o-chem debate, I think it's safe to say that orgo is more popular on the east coast, while o-chem is favored on the west coast. (Kinda like smoke up vs smoke out)

What is Ivy league?? I have never heard of Ivy league.

stoic said:
By god, threads like this remind me why everyone makes fun of the pre-allo forum. Could you be any more anal? Can you even squeeze a fart out of your puckered ass?

I call it orgo. If you don't like it, bite me. Just be careful not to bear down when you do, because your colon might come shooting out like a loaded spring.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

bewitched1081 said:

Two reasons:

1) "orga" sounds ******ed
2) All the cool kids say "orgo"

stoic said:

SOMEBODY didn't eat their wheaties this morning... It's all in good fun, my fine, ruffle-feathered friend

The lingo comes with the territory...

Besides, I still think "orgo" sounds better. I can't believe anyone would have this much free time to debate over such an anal topic.

Is it me, or is this thread destined to be the "antenna" for Pre-Allo?

--Funkless

P.S. "Orgo" is what the cool kids call it. Only pre-med nerds call it "o-chem". And cool kids typically do better than nerds in orgo, from what I've seen. The nerds are too analytical to approach the subject with their right brains, which is what "o-baby" is all about.

Sheesh

How many of you seriously responding to this question wear scrubs to school "because they're comfortable?" Come on, tell me... :)

All the cool east coasters say orgo.