Why do so many jobs not post base pay or salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proudfather94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking up jobs in my area for an idea of the average pay but only a few even mention what the base pay is. Many of them say they are competitive but that's hard to believe if they won't post what they are paying. Many of them have been posted for more than a month. Are people avoiding these offers and applying to ones that are more transparent with their salary range?

Members don't see this ad.

Just reach out and be up front about asking about salary early. A lot of them don't post in order to remain at a competitive advantage for bargaining, since they can lowball less experienced applicants but would struggle to do so if they posted a salary range.

Reactions: 6 users
Just reach out and be up front about asking about salary early. A lot of them don't post in order to remain at a competitive advantage for bargaining, since they can lowball less experienced applicants but would struggle to do so if they posted a salary range.
Thanks I'm starting school this fall and am probably going into family medicine for the lifestyle and variety of options one can do. I was just trying to look at what I could expect in the future and was disappointed in the lack of transparency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello proudfather94! I agree, it is frustrating that employers are not more transparent about salary, total compensation, work expectations etc. on the front end. It does take an incredible amount of work to elicit all the data one needs in order to make an informed employment decision… and it truly should not be that hard on us!!

As others have said, the less information a practice or corporation puts out, the more power they have. Best of luck!
It reminds me of car lots that don't put how much their cars are so you are invested in the car before they try to rip you off. I feel like the solution to that is to apply to multiple of these jobs and take the one that pays the most.

Reactions: 1 users
This is the norm even outside of medicine. The places that usually advertise salary or wages overtly tend to pay on an hourly basis and or have no means of differentiation beyond pay.

Thanks I'm starting school this fall and am probably going into family medicine for the lifestyle and variety of options one can do. I was just trying to look at what I could expect in the future and was disappointed in the lack of transparency.
MGMA and Medscape salary numbers are your friends

This is the norm even outside of medicine. The places that usually advertise salary or wages overtly tend to pay on an hourly basis and or have no means of differentiation beyond pay.
Seems like the ones that pay well post it. The only ones I saw were ones with 250k base pay or up to 300k incentive.

I had one recruiter try to say “I don’t know the salary, I will need to set you up with an interview to discuss that.”

Next.

I had one recruiter try to say “I don’t know the salary, I will need to set you up with an interview to discuss that.”

Next.
Meh, that wouldn't bother me at all. Money is absolutely important but I don't think wanting to actually meet you before discussing money is a big deal.

Meh, that wouldn't bother me at all. Money is absolutely important but I don't think wanting to actually meet you before discussing money is a big deal.
The only thing is 90% of all the other jobs would give me the salary up front. I agree that if there’s other things going for that job to stick around and find out but it’s always shady to me when they try to hide the salary up front. Then again one of my top reasons for choosing a specific job was the salary.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing is 90% of all the other jobs would give me the salary up front. I agree that if there’s other things going for that job to stick around and find out but it’s always shady to me when they try to hide the salary up front. Then again one of my top reasons for choosing a specific job was the salary.
Honestly I think jobs like this are hoping you fall into the sunken cost fallacy and accept their low ball offer since you've invested so much time into applying and interviewing. The biggest thing that irks me is that this employer employee relationship is starting out on hiding information and trying to manipulate me from the get go. I don't want to work somewhere that does that.

Reactions: 3 users
I have literally never been told a salary figure without an in person interview, and I've had a shocking number of jobs for someone only 10 years out of residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I have literally never been told a salary figure without an in person interview, and I've had a shocking number of jobs for someone only 10 years out of residency.
I guess more and more are wanting a salary upfront. It is always my first or second email after saying I’m interested and sending over my CV. Most of them oblige. I think it saves everyone time.

agreed. Sometimes a recruiter or internal HR will mention it at the end of the phone screen but usually not beforehand in my experience

Sometimes the best jobs will do this to ensure you're a good fit and not faking it for the money. That being said, if they aren't talking salary early on I'm not interested

Having seen the hospital side, because such numbers were pretty much meaningless.

Now, this is dated by about five years, but they would give physicians in that practice group (two professional practice companies - one "procedure" based and one "office" based associated with the hospital system) any salary you want. Family Practice and you want $350K/year? No problem.

Ahh, but the fine print!

Those "salary guarantees" are in fact loans. If your production does not meet the "loan amount", then you owe money. They like you owing them money!

The only two factors that matter are how much they are paying you for wRVU, and how many wRVU the person you are replacing generated last year. Everything else can and will be manipulated. (Those can two also can to an extent, but since the former is generally written in the contract it is a lot harder.)

Even if they do offer a hard salary, beware: They may try to give a hard salary over production to get you to set down roots for a couple of years, then you find out that when you are on production your earnings are cut in half.

There are two numbers you need to know: wRVU (compensation) and wRVU (generated). Since those tend to be sensitive, they don't give them out early on in the process. Usually.

Reactions: 4 users