Why do they say...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeilD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do all these attendings say they wouldn't want their kid to go into Podiatry or wouldn't do it again themselves???:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I hear it from a lot of the older doctors (MD/DO/DPM) and not necessarily just podiatrists. I think things used to be a lot easier 20-30 years ago. In this day and age, a lot has changed. Increased debt load for education, increased malpractice due to the legal climate, increased paperwork and regulations, decreased reimbursements, etc. For non-procudural MD's, it is getting harder and harder to make a living because the only thing that seems to pay anymore is procedures.

I had attendings in residency talk about how they could see 40-50 patients a week and perform a couple bunion procedures and make a ton of money. Now they have to do twice that and they still don't make as much! The interesting thing is that for the new guys, that is all we know so we don't have a problem with it. But I think there is a lot of concern about the changes in the medical climate, particularly towards universal healthcare, that often cause physicians to steer their children in another direction.

I think a lot of older docs look back on their careers and wonder if there would have been an easier way to make a lot of money. In theory there usually is. In reality there usually isn't.

NeilD,

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt as I believe an actual troll would have moved on by now.

Are you still a podiatry student? On leave and deciding whether or not you want to go back to podiatry school or not? Thinking of switching to MD/DO?

Whatever the case, you seem to be deciding if you want to pursue or continue pursuing podiatry or not. I understand your reluctance; it seems like everyone is saying "I wouldn't do it again" or wouldn't recommend their children pursue this path and doing so on the grounds of the uncertainty of healthcare reimbursements. From my experience, and from what I have gathered from others on this site, it is rare for podiatrists to not enjoy the work and not find it fulfilling. Complaining about Medicare, insurances and all the hoops associated with getting fairly compensated for their work? I'd heard that often. Almost never have I heard from attendings out in the real world that they hate or dislike their job.

My conclusion (and my advice to you) is that if you really enjoy the work and pathology, that you should continue on and work as hard as you possibly can. With the CURRENT reimbursement system (which is always subject to change), you should be able to pay off your loans at some point and live comfortably. You will NOT be rich and have everything you ever wanted and only work 30 hours/week and take 8 weeks of vacation/year.

On the contrary, if you hate what you're doing, or even find no joy in it at all, and you got in for the wrong reason(s), then perhaps it is time to cut your losses and look elsewhere for a career. Now whether MD/DO would be a better or safer option is up to you. Again, I wouldn't go that route if you're just in it for the money, because it might not be there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to steal this from you, "In theory there usually is. In reality there usually isn't." Very deep.

I think the better question would be, "What career would you recommend to your children?" or "If you had to do it all over again and could not be a podiatrist, what other career would you choose?"

Practicing medicine in any specialty is difficult academically and financially, and the frustration is just increasing as time goes on. However, it seems as if making a living is more and more difficult regardless of what you do, whether in medicine or otherwise. I can't think of too many professions that don't require a great deal of work and sacrifice at this point.

I think the better question would be, "What career would you recommend to your children?" or "If you had to do it all over again and could not be a podiatrist, what other career would you choose?"

Practicing medicine in any specialty is difficult academically and financially, and the frustration is just increasing as time goes on. However, it seems as if making a living is more and more difficult regardless of what you do, whether in medicine or otherwise. I can't think of too many professions that don't require a great deal of work and sacrifice at this point.

Engineering and Engineering.

Engineering and Engineering.

What kind of engineering attracts you?

My father was a structural engineer who hoped that I would follow his footsteps. I thought about mechanical engineering, however I wasn't attracted enough to the work, plus I saw how his colleagues had to change engineering firms so frequently because they were at the mercy of both the economy and the employer. So many layoffs.

What kind of engineering attracts you?

My father was a structural engineer who hoped that I would follow his footsteps. I thought about mechanical engineering, however I wasn't attracted enough to the work, plus I saw how his colleagues had to change engineering firms so frequently because they were at the mercy of both the economy and the employer. So many layoffs.
My dad is a structural engineer too, he thought I would became an engineer too. If I had to do it over I would probably be a biomedical engineer

I was a Biomed Engineer. Unfortunately, I graduated in 09... No jobs... The major biotech companies were in the midst of crazy layoffs. Took me 3 months to find a job!

My brother is an electrical engineer for an oil company and makes ~$65k two years out of undergrad! Engineering is the way to go!