Why do veterinary schools require more prerequisites for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatholicThinker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I do not think that I am going to apply to veterinary school, though I do love animals. However, I was curious to as why all veterinary schools (Cornell, U. of Pennsylvania, Tufts, etc.) seem to require applicants to have completed more science classes (at the least, genetics, microbiology, and biochemistry) than medical and dental schools typical require of their applicants. Are there any particular reasons for this? I would appreciate any comments regarding this topic.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that it's because vets must graduate in 4 years prepared for work on many different species. Unlike human medicine, vet med does not require postgraduate training. This means more information must be squeezed into 4 years of professional school. One way to facilitate this is to require students to complete more basic sciences as prereqs.

I've always figured it was the testing. Vet students take the GRE (with the exception of OVC applicants), which doesn't test any scientific knowledge at all. The MCAT/DAT does test biological and physical science knowledge, so the med/dental schools probably figure that if you score well on the MCAT/DAT, it's likely that you have the required background. Vet schools rely on your pre-requisite grades to get that information.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always thought of it as weed out classes. Since so little veterinary students are admitted each year they require a heavier undergrad course load to weed out potential applicants. Though that could just be my pessimistic opinion of the matter :p

Even when the VCAT was available (yes, I am old enough that I did take the VCAT) vet school's required more pre-reqs. I think it has to do with the variability of species, the lack of required internships (thank goodness, since we don't have the same fiscal compensation), and that we cover some additional material in vet school that my friends in human med said they didn't have to take, like parasitology, multiple species physical exam classes, or even animal handling classes. Some of my Dr. friends also didn't have to take any behavior courses or nutrition courses. I think their curriculem is more focused.