Why do we need to wait till Friday to find out where ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding the NRMP Match, it's kind of sickening to be waiting that long to find out where we match. In the DO match, at least you get to find out early February and you find out location of match in the same e-mail.

It's just a little baffling and nerve wrecking...Friday can't come soon enough.

Congrats to those that matched and best wishes to those in the SOAP.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So the SOAPers can join us in the match ceremony.

Reactions: 6 users
What ceremony? My DO school has no ceremony

Most MD schools have match day ceremonies, as most of the class is participating in the Main NRMP match (except for a few earlies like urology). I'd imagine that at DO schools, you have some in the DO match, some in the MD match, etc., so it doesn't make as much sense for there to be a school-wide ceremony.

That makes sense. The suspense is killing me though. I wish I could just find out tomorrow by calling the NRMP and hoping some sweet phone associate would divulge that information to me on account of my insanity.

Basically, it's a busted system that we continue to accept in the name of tradition. The algorithm takes seconds to run. Yay for pomp and circumstance.

Your dean knows where you matched, you could try sweet talking him / her.

That is false. They get a list of the people who did not match.

In the big scheme of things, there are worse things in life than waiting 4 days to find out what your next job is going to be.

Reactions: 3 users
That is false. They get a list of the people who did not match.

In the big scheme of things, there are worse things in life than waiting 4 days to find out what your next job is going to be.

they seem to be fraught with statistics on match day. do they get the information on the morning of match?

they seem to be fraught with statistics on match day. do they get the information on the morning of match?

I know residency programs get a list of who matched to their program an hour before. Not sure if deans get the information an hour before as well, maybe they also get a copy of those statistics that you mentioned.

I know residency programs get a list of who matched to their program an hour before. Not sure if deans get the information an hour before as well, maybe they also get a copy of those statistics that you mentioned.

oh ok. they spend about 20 min telling us who matched where by state, specialty, how many got their first choice. Im pretty impressed if they put that ppt together in an hr.

I'm pretty sure both the deans and the program directors get notified on Thursday.

Reactions: 2 users
This is the last time in your life you won't know where you matched. Enjoy the thrill of knowing you matched after being courted by fantastic programs. You have a job as a physician lined up for you!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure both the deans and the program directors get notified on Thursday.

We will find out at 2:00 pm ET on Thursday who we matched with, but it is confidential. I would bet neither programs nor deans will divulge who matched where. We will contact those who we matched with Friday afternoon.

First, for those places that do a match day, it's kind of exciting to have everyone opening envelopes at the same time. You ruin that if you allow people to know ahead of time. You only get so many monumental pomp and circumstance experiences in your life. Enjoy them. Don't be the guy/gal too cool to go to the prom.

Second, by delaying a few more days this lets people who have to SOAP to line things up. I'll bet your annoyance at having to wait a few more days is nothing compared to the angst of anyone in SOAP right now.

Third. Nobody cares that DO schools don't have a match ceremony -- you entered the allo match, you play by the allo timeline.

Reactions: 12 users
Third. Nobody cares that DO schools don't have a match ceremony -- you entered the allo match, you play by the allo timeline.

This is the last time in your life you won't know where you matched. Enjoy the thrill of knowing you matched after being courted by fantastic programs. You have a job as a physician lined up for you!

LOL, oh how you cannot see through the façade

Oh OK. I feel like I read a thread from a few years ago that said it was an hour before, but I guess either I was wrong or it's changed in the last few years.

In any case, your dean doesn't know right now ;)

As stated above, residency programs find out on Thursday who they matched. As for why wait until Friday, again, as stated above, it's to get everyone together on Friday, AFTER the SOAP, so that people who had to SOAP don't have to tell anyone they had to SOAP and can enjoy the festivities with everyone else. Relax. It's just a few days. You'll look back at it next year at this time and you'll realize how small a thing the wait really is.

As stated above, residency programs find out on Thursday who they matched. As for why wait until Friday, again, as stated above, it's to get everyone together on Friday, AFTER the SOAP, so that people who had to SOAP don't have to tell anyone they had to SOAP and can enjoy the festivities with everyone else. Relax. It's just a few days. You'll look back at it next year at this time and you'll realize how small a thing the wait really is.
Lol, if you look at the rest of the thread I'm agreeing with you--already a resident :p Just had the timeline off by a bit.