why do you want attend our school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docchey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whenever I get this question on the supplementary apps, I freeze. Especially if I haven't met anyone who attended the said school. What do I tell them? "Um, I just think I have a better chance of getting into your fine institution". Please help me with this, I just don't want to restate information from their websites. I need some ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

cause I wanna' be a d@mn doctor, that's why!!!

docchey said:
Whenever I get this question on the supplementary apps, I freeze. Especially if I haven't met anyone who attended the said school. What do I tell them? "Um, I just think I have a better chance of getting into your fine institution". Please help me with this, I just don't want to restate information from their websites. I need some ideas.

Search SDN for threads concerning the schools you're applying to. There are a number of medical students who have posted their insider points of view about their schools, and sometimes you can find unique information not contained in the school's website. That always looks good. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Though I'm sure you don't want to just repeat stuff you saw on a website, I think if you go to that school's particular website you can find information that will help you answer that question. Each school has something about them, like being research based, or focusing on primary care physicians, or having early clinical exposure, or even their location (if you live in the area, or want to move back to that area, it's not ridiculous that that would be one of the reasons you're applying to that school). I've tried to state personal and professional reasons, if I can, as to why I've applied to that school. I think they more want to know that you've thought it through, and aren't just applying there because it's your "safety" school or whatever. Good luck. :luck:

As tough as the question is, this is something that you really should address, regardless of whether it's for the interview or not (as in, when you have an acceptance and are deciding if you want to go).

At the interviews I have had so far, I am getting very positive responses when I respond with novel thought regarding how the school as a whole fits with my peronsality, ability to learn, and potential happiness. The plain truth of all medical school is that they all grant MDs. What sets each of them apart are:

1) Curriculum
-Things like class time, didatic vs. group learning, clinical exposure, overall interest level that I can gauge from faculty during the financial aid/welcome presentations before going into the actual interview are all important things that I take note of so I can answer the question of "why this school".

2) The Students
-Are the happy? Do they feel like the administration pays attention to their concerns? Are they given a lot of stuff to do during the 3rd/4th years or are they on the sidelines doing scut? Do they have free time to keep themselves balanced (this was important to me - I need a very balanced life)?

3) The location
-Safety, of course. Affordability of the city, access to cultural events, access to a gym or recreation center, undergraduate campus, sporting events, intramurals, etc.

For me, I found it easiest to decide on what my ideal situation was as far as these criteria go, and then see how each individual school compared. Of course no school was going to be an absolutely perfect match, but when asked "why X medical school", you can have an idea of the specific reasons. If I were the interviewer, I would not be very impressed with "I think I can be happy here" or "X school has a great reputation". I think they are really seeing if you've put the time into it.

Just my thoughts - I hope it helps someone :)

all of your suggestions sound good. Thanks people :)