Why do you want to be a doctor?

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious on everyones' response. I will list my reason below, I hope it makes sense.

The human body is an amazing thing. I'm interested in saving lives and doing good. Part of what inspires me is a challenging career pursuit that takes extreme comitment and dedication. I would like to become an emergency room physician and fellowship in critical care or pediatrics. *I know, it may change.*

Most people have a significant story, such as a family member dying of cancer, or other life changing events. Their parents are doctors, or their parents want them to be doctors. I feel like mine is varied from what other peoples' might be. So, I am curious what the member of SDN have to say. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your reasoning for wanting to be a doctor is not all that varied from others.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious on everyones' response. I will list my reason below, I hope it makes sense.

The human body is an amazing thing. I'm interested in saving lives and doing good. Part of what inspires me is a challenging career pursuit that takes extreme comitment and dedication. I would like to become an emergency room physician and fellowship in critical care or pediatrics. *I know, it may change.*

Most people have a significant story, such as a family member dying of cancer, or other life changing events. Their parents are doctors, or their parents want them to be doctors. I feel like mine is varied from what other peoples' might be. So, I am curious what the member of SDN have to say. :)

Saving lives and doing good. You can do that working as a paramedic or a nurse. And you also study the human body in both those jobs.

What else about being a physician attracts you?

(Not trying to be condescending just trying to give you forward thinking for the future)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Saving lives and doing good. You can do that working as a paramedic or a nurse. And you also study the human body in both those jobs.

What else about being a physician attracts you?

(Not trying to be condescending just trying to give you forward thinking for the future)
I encourage you to question me. That's how people learn is through questioning. It's the ability to take control of a situation, diagnose the problem, and apply the effective treatment. Without paramedics and nurses the medical field would cease to exist in a lot of ways. Both of which are mandatory and very important in regards to patient care.

So a few principles that make me want to be a doctor, instead of a nurse.
- Diagnosis
- Problem Solving
- Critical Analysis (*it's not always simple*)
- Responsibility

Additionally, it's the doctor who is the final deciding factor in treatment. I apperciate that medical school is so long and that not everyone can become a doctor. It's a lot of pressure and responsibility. I personally know people who do not act well in situations that there is a lot of stress. I've been in situations during volunteering that I would classify as critical care, although I'm not a paramedic. I was able to respond calm and assist during a time of crisis.

Therefore, by honing in my skills I aspire to become a good doctor so that I may effectively; diagnose, treat, and see the patient on their way.

Any questions? *encouraged*

Your reasoning for wanting to be a doctor is not all that varied from others.
To some people it may be. I understand some people are similar, I was just curious to ask.

I encourage you to question me. That's how people learn is through questioning. It's the ability to take control of a situation, diagnose the problem, and apply the effective treatment. Without paramedics and nurses the medical field would cease to exist in a lot of ways. Both of which are mandatory and very important in regards to patient care.

So a few principles that make me want to be a doctor, instead of a nurse.
- Diagnosis
- Problem Solving
- Critical Analysis (*it's not always simple*)
- Responsibility

Additionally, it's the doctor who is the final deciding factor in treatment. I apperciate that medical school is so long and that not everyone can become a doctor. It's a lot of pressure and responsibility. I personally know people who do not act well in situations that there is a lot of stress. I've been in situations during volunteering that I would classify as critical care, although I'm not a paramedic. I was able to respond calm and assist during a time of crisis.

Therefore, by honing in my skills I aspire to become a good doctor so that I may effectively; diagnose, treat, and see the patient on their way.

Any questions? *encouraged*

Nice answer! Seems like you got some solid reasoning behind you. Now all you need is the whip all your experiences into a collaborative effort that shows your commitment to this career (aka undergrad).

Part of what inspires me is a challenging career pursuit that takes extreme comitment and dedication.

There are many other fields that fit this description.

It's the ability to take control of a situation, diagnose the problem, and apply the effective treatment.

Using the above metaphorically, again there are many other fields that fit this description.

I've been in situations during volunteering that I would classify as critical care, although I'm not a paramedic. I was able to respond calm and assist during a time of crisis.

Sorry for the doubting mind, but the level of stress upon a volunteer during "critical care" (if a volunteer is even meaningfully exposed to it) is vastly different than the stress upon the person providing care.

As brorthopedic said, you reasonings are cookie-cutter. This isn't a bad thing, but don't try to fluff because it makes your reasonings come across as contrived. Good luck with your studies.

There are many other fields that fit this description.

Using the above metaphorically, again there are many other fields that fit this description.

Sorry for the doubting mind, but the level of stress upon a volunteer during "critical care" (if a volunteer is even meaningfully exposed to it) is vastly different than the stress upon the person providing care.

As brorthopedic said, you reasonings are cookie-cutter. This isn't a bad thing, but don't try to fluff because it makes your reasonings come across as contrived. Good luck with your studies.
Did you miss the part where I am fascinated with the human anatomy and phisiology? I've volunteered in the emergency department for quite sometime and although I may not be a doctor. I cannot experience being a doctor, without truly becoming one. I've volunteered with my local paramedics and had to perform CPR while they setup the AED. I may not be a doctor, or a paramedic, but I have been subjected to quite a few things.

It's a difficult question that doesn't really have a right or wrong answer - It's whatever you're satisfied with that will give you the drive and motivation to go through countless hours of studying, learning, practicing, messing up, learning from your mistakes, messing up again, learning again and so on and so on ad nauseam. If it's "I want to save lives and improve quality of patient care" so be it, if it's "my family member died and that inspired me" then that's fine. I think only you can truly say if the answer you give is the right one.

I think the reasons you listed were solid and just by being on these boards and asking questions you are showing passion for the profession - I'd like to challenge you to continue to carry that passion over your journey in undergrad and reflect back on your post when you might be struggling with whether or not you wish to continue pursuing medicine. Good luck!

It's a difficult question that doesn't really have a right or wrong answer - It's whatever you're satisfied with that will give you the drive and motivation to go through countless hours of studying, learning, practicing, messing up, learning from your mistakes, messing up again, learning again and so on and so on ad nauseam. If it's "I want to save lives and improve quality of patient care" so be it, if it's "my family member died and that inspired me" then that's fine. I think only you can truly say if the answer you give is the right one.

I think the reasons you listed were solid and just by being on these boards and asking questions you are showing passion for the profession - I'd like to challenge you to continue to carry that passion over your journey in undergrad and reflect back on your post when you might be struggling with whether or not you wish to continue pursuing medicine. Good luck!
Thank you.

I think med school applicants have come up with every possible reason for wanting to be in medicine. That doesn't make them bad. It's just that you're not spending most of your time in the real world doing all that great stuff you mentioned. You're spending 33% of your time deflecting drug seekers, 33% caring for Mrs Granny Bounceback whose family cannot comprehend that even 95 year old demented nursing home patients must eventually die like the rest of us, and 33% of your time doing paperwork and other administrative duties. So in that 1% of your time that you're actually doing what you came into medicine to do you'd better really, really love it.

ADCOMS are gonna want something better than that, OP. Your motives at the moment are way too trite.

It sounds like your heart is in the right place though, and you have four+ years to polish that response up.

ADCOMS are gonna want something better than that, OP. Your motives at the moment are way too trite.

It sounds like your heart is in the right place though, and you have four+ years to polish that response up.
I don't want you to tell me what to say... But, could you give me some recommendations on what I could add more to it? I won't just write it if it sounds good, I want to mean it.. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a story, something that happened that helped you come to the conclusions you have about a career in medicine? One situation that struck you deeply while vounteering, etc? Something that does more showing. And then explain how you grew. What you learned.

Do you have a story, something that happened that helped you come to the conclusions you have about a career in medicine? One situation that struck you deeply while vounteering, etc? Something that does more showing. And then explain how you grew. What you learned.
Thank you. I like what you said there, I'm still making experiences or in the process of doing so. I will keep that in mind.

Did you miss the part where I am fascinated with the human anatomy and phisiology?

No, I didn't miss that part. It was included in my last words.

Mirp gave a good response in that the sheen is lost once you step into the shoes.

I don't want you to tell me what to say... But, could you give me some recommendations on what I could add more to it? I won't just write it if it sounds good, I want to mean it.. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Something deeper as to why medicine, and the position of physician, specifically.

You go in there talking about helping others and they'll say, "Why not social services?"

You respond with, "Cause I like science/medicine" they'll respond in kind with, "Why not researcher/nurse?"

Catch my drift?

Something deeper as to why medicine, and the position of physician, specifically.

You go in there talking about helping others and they'll say, "Why not social services?"

You respond with, "Cause I like science/medicine" they'll respond in kind with, "Why not researcher/nurse?"

Catch my drift?
Yeah I catch your drift. I guess that will take some thinking.

Ah yes, the scariest question that you can ask any pre-med - "Why do you want to be a doctor?". Many of us spent years pondering this question, and you will too if you are worth your salt as a serious medical school applicant. Your reasons will change, and it will be molded by your mentors and peers. But as long as you keep trying, you will find an answer one day that isn't canned or generic.

Ah yes, the scariest question that you can ask any pre-med - "Why do you want to be a doctor?". Many of us spent years pondering this question, and you will too if you are worth your salt as a serious medical school applicant. Your reasons will change, and it will be molded by your mentors and peers. But as long as you keep trying, you will find an answer one day that isn't canned or generic.
Thank you, I sure hope that I can find a reason that sounds well for a medical interview.

My crippling lack of self worth, and I would look fine as hell in a white coat.

Reactions: 2 users
I want to poke a brain.

I think med school applicants have come up with every possible reason for wanting to be in medicine. That doesn't make them bad. It's just that you're not spending most of your time in the real world doing all that great stuff you mentioned. You're spending 33% of your time deflecting drug seekers, 33% caring for Mrs Granny Bounceback whose family cannot comprehend that even 95 year old demented nursing home patients must eventually die like the rest of us, and 33% of your time doing paperwork and other administrative duties. So in that 1% of your time that you're actually doing what you came into medicine to do you'd better really, really love it.
I understand that, it definetely depends on your specialty you qualify/get accepted for. I'm sure some medical jobs have people doing so, I plan on trying to kill the USMLE; but so does the rest of the crowd. It's something you just have to see where life will take you. If I get emergency medicine, I don't plan on dealing with Mrs. Granny *hopefully, fingers crossed* , I'm content with 66/44.

If I get emergency medicine, I don't plan on dealing with Mrs. Granny *hopefully, fingers crossed* , I'm content with 66/44.
If you are saying stuff like this then you really need to go see for yourself that EM docs do. "Dealing with" [a certain kind of patient] (you could also be treating them at the same time, but you still have to put up with old grannies and smelly druggie seekers) is about 30-50% of an EM job, depending on the day.

If you are saying stuff like this then you really need to go see for yourself that EM docs do. "Dealing with" [a certain kind of patient] (you could also be treating them at the same time, but you still have to put up with old grannies and smelly druggie seekers) is about 30-50% of an EM job, depending on the day.
I've been volunteering in an emergency since this past summer. I wasn't aware in the context you were "referring to as old granny", I had assumed you were talking about post-op stuff. During residency I'm sure I will be dealing with a lot of them. I have an ideal set of understanding what it's like in the emergency room with druggies and the whole 9 yards.

I've been volunteering in an emergency since this past summer. I wasn't aware in the context you were "referring to as old granny", I had assumed you were talking about post-op stuff. During residency I'm sure I will be dealing with a lot of them. I have an ideal set of understanding what it's like in the emergency room with druggies and the whole 9 yards.
Yeah sorry I don't think you know what you're talking about or what I'm talking about. But that's okay, plenty of learning ahead for you haha

@grapp

I’ll share why I want to become a doctor by telling you a little about a person that influenced me.

My father-in-law failed chemistry class, only to later receive his undergrad in Chemistry.
He applied to med school after receiving his undergrad and was rejected. So he took a year to improve himself, reapplied, and was accepted. After med school he went on to practice general medicine, with a brief stint in industrial medicine. He then joined the U.S. Army, served as a flight surgeon and moved up to the rank of Colonel. He fathered 10 children, raised them, put every single one of them through college. He donated to charity on a consistent basis, volunteered his spare time at church. Most recently, he was the head physician of two prisons. There he served the unwanted, murderers, rapists, child abusers… you name it.

To add to the already impressive list of accomplishments..
He survived throat cancer, only to develop dysphagia. Unable to swallow, he spent the remainder of his life eating through a tube. He suffered from chronic pneumonia. He underwent a transcatheter aortic valve replacement on a Friday and (against his doctors will) was back at work the following Monday.

The last thing he did before he died was get dressed to go to work.

He was a doctor, a damn good one too. But most importantly, he was a great person.
When he died, prisoners wrote letters and poems to his family expressing their sorrow and offering their condolences. As a doctor he was able touch the lives of others and contribute something meaningful to society.

I want to be a doctor because I believe this path will allow me to become the best person I can be, and because I want to help people in the most intimate way possible.
Also, the fact that doctors are lifelong scholars is very appealing to me.

Being a doctor is not just about challenges, responsibilities and ‘final’ decision making. If you want to solve problems go become a math major. If you want the final say in things, work towards being the CEO of a company. But if you want to be of value to society and to your local community, become a doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Because I want to be the irl Greg house

Reactions: 1 users
Because I want to be the irl Greg house

I hope you realize all medical shows are completely inaccurate portrayals of medicine.

And OP, I want to be a doctor because it's that intrinsic reward that you receive when you save a patient's life, or help a patient for that matter. It's also the fact that I can use science, which I love, to discover new techniques to save the human body.

It's impossible to do resident stuff and post on SDN. IMPOSSIBLE.
Yeah especially during a preliminary medicine year. So many procedures I can barely find time to sit down whew

Reactions: 2 users
I hope you realize all medical shows are completely inaccurate portrayals of medicine.

And OP, I want to be a doctor because it's that intrinsic reward that you receive when you save a patient's life, or help a patient for that matter. It's also the fact that I can use science, which I love, to discover new techniques to save the human body.
You take everything so serious. It's a joke. And if he were to be compared to irl, he would be a diagnostic genius, which is completely possible to be in real life.
Aren't you like a sophomore in high school? Trust me people know a lot more than you think they know. Every time I see your comments, you try to act like you know everything and don't even recognize a hint of sarcasm, ever.
Or for fun, the other posts of when people say they're "overwhelmed" in high school and you tell them they'll never make it in med school. Maybe you should make it into college first ;).

//sorry for ranting this is just stuff coming from previous comments that I saw throughout the last few months and never replied to because I'm busy.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with scoliosis and had a spinal fusion to fix it. My experience from my surgeon, the nurses, and everyone in the health community has been so astounding that it inspired me to want to help others in my position. And I know, that the right doctor can make the entire difference in your surgery, recovery, and beyond. I want to be the right doctor that can help people and make a lasting impression.

@grapp

I’ll share why I want to become a doctor by telling you a little about a person that influenced me.

My father-in-law failed chemistry class, only to later receive his undergrad in Chemistry.
He applied to med school after receiving his undergrad and was rejected. So he took a year to improve himself, reapplied, and was accepted. After med school he went on to practice general medicine, with a brief stint in industrial medicine. He then joined the U.S. Army, served as a flight surgeon and moved up to the rank of Colonel. He fathered 10 children, raised them, put every single one of them through college. He donated to charity on a consistent basis, volunteered his spare time at church. Most recently, he was the head physician of two prisons. There he served the unwanted, murderers, rapists, child abusers… you name it.

To add to the already impressive list of accomplishments..
He survived throat cancer, only to develop dysphagia. Unable to swallow, he spent the remainder of his life eating through a tube. He suffered from chronic pneumonia. He underwent a transcatheter aortic valve replacement on a Friday and (against his doctors will) was back at work the following Monday.

The last thing he did before he died was get dressed to go to work.

He was a doctor, a damn good one too. But most importantly, he was a great person.
When he died, prisoners wrote letters and poems to his family expressing their sorrow and offering their condolences. As a doctor he was able touch the lives of others and contribute something meaningful to society.

I want to be a doctor because I believe this path will allow me to become the best person I can be, and because I want to help people in the most intimate way possible.
Also, the fact that doctors are lifelong scholars is very appealing to me.

Being a doctor is not just about challenges, responsibilities and ‘final’ decision making. If you want to solve problems go become a math major. If you want the final say in things, work towards being the CEO of a company. But if you want to be of value to society and to your local community, become a doctor.
Awesome story, wish I had one near as good. :)

You take everything so serious. It's a joke. And if he were to be compared to irl, he would be a diagnostic genius, which is completely possible to be in real life.
Aren't you like a sophomore in high school? Trust me people know a lot more than you think they know. Every time I see your comments, you try to act like you know everything and don't even recognize a hint of sarcasm, ever.
Or for fun, the other posts of when people say they're "overwhelmed" in high school and you tell them they'll never make it in med school. Maybe you should make it into college first ;).

//sorry for ranting this is just stuff coming from previous comments that I saw throughout the last few months and never replied to because I'm busy.
Lol! It was a joke... ;) :) Of course, if all doctors were that hot.... Damn... Just kidding, but seriously I agree with you.

I was diagnosed with scoliosis and had a spinal fusion to fix it. My experience from my surgeon, the nurses, and everyone in the health community has been so astounding that it inspired me to want to help others in my position. And I know, that the right doctor can make the entire difference in your surgery, recovery, and beyond. I want to be the right doctor that can help people and make a lasting impression.
Another fantastic story. :)

@grapp Good luck with your future endeavors! Sadly, there are swarms of medschool applicants who want to be physicians for the money and prestige (LOL!) who use the standard, "I want to be a doctor, because I want to help people and am interested in medicine." This has gotten to the point that it has completely inoculated ADCOMs. So even if that is your true motivation (as it is in my case), you have to find some story, spin, or experience that prefaces your interest in medicine in order to make it believable. So, keep working hard so that your stats and ECs make you visible, and then think of a way to convince even the most cynical SDNer that you aren't just another facade, then you will have a pretty solid application when the time comes.