Why do you want to be a Pharmacist???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to hear the stories.

My decision may be abit pre mature, I wasn't really interested in medicine.
But right outta high school I got a job as a Pharmacy clerk, I been doing it for 3 years and its the only thing I like to do. Its the only thing that keeps me happy these days.
Sometimes it seems like a race, my Pharmacy usually feels like 400 prescriptions everyday. But I love my team, and I like talking with customers. Even if they are asszholes, I just like talking for some reason.

So I'm gonna take all my Chemistrys and other undergraduate stuff starting this fall, then I will work on getting into Pharm school.

My last reason for wanting to be a Pharmacist is that they have a very attractive income.

Why do you guys want to pursue this career????

Members don't see this ad.

As if there were another reason...
Multiple reasons: good income, able to practice wherever, good for a part time job (for those who may want families), don't have to deal with bodily fluids, but are still apart of a medical team, ability to specialize and expand your career options, the list goes on...

Members don't see this ad :)
money,money,money.

Do you as many people would be into pharmacy if it paid 40k? Probably not.

good reasons

Heres the bad things about being a Pharmacist...

Dealing with insurers, Dealing with angry customers, Having so much to do in such little time, standing on your feet all day everyday.

But those are small prices to pay when your bagin 100k per year.

My reasons to be a pharmacist:
1- Money.
2- Flexible job.
3- No physical contact with patients (vs. physicians & dentists).
4- Tuitions much cheaper than med and dental schools.

However, the main reason is money.

I'd like to be a well-respected, knowledgable member of the society that lives comfortably and is able to have a well-balanced work and family life. I like to save lives, and have people trust me with theirs. I enjoy when people ask me for advice or help. I like helping random strangers and being a good person to other people. I will be proud to hang a PharmD on my wall and have people say "wow, you must have worked really hard for that"- I'll respond with "yes, and it was well worth it"! Those are my reasons!

JRL said:
I want to hear the stories.

My decision may be abit pre mature, I wasn't really interested in medicine.
But right outta high school I got a job as a Pharmacy clerk, I been doing it for 3 years and its the only thing I like to do. Its the only thing that keeps me happy these days.
Sometimes it seems like a race, my Pharmacy usually feels like 400 prescriptions everyday. But I love my team, and I like talking with customers. Even if they are asszholes, I just like talking for some reason.

So I'm gonna take all my Chemistrys and other undergraduate stuff starting this fall, then I will work on getting into Pharm school.

My last reason for wanting to be a Pharmacist is that they have a very attractive income.

Why do you guys want to pursue this career????

I liked RxBound's list, but I'll contrast these pro's vs my current job (Medical Technologist)...

good income: I'll double what I make now

able to practice wherever: Not much change

good for a part time job for those who may want families: If/when I have kids I want to see them.

don't have to deal with bodily fluids: This is a big one. I do alot of blood work. I'm careful, but accidents can happen.

still apart of a medical team: This means you will aways have a job

ability to specialize and expand your career options: I like the ability to do other things

Patient interaction: Some people call this a con, but I don't. I worked my way through school being a waiter and bartender. If your used to alot of people interaction, you miss it very much when it's not there. Since I work in a lab now, I'm stuck back in the nerd cave of the hospital and never really see anyone.

undertow said:
money,money,money.

If Money was the only reason that you wanted to be a Pharmacist, then why don't you become a Dentist or an Optometrist? They all make good money.
My question is "why Pharmacy"?

I like those reason Miss Sushi

I like people trusting me with their lives aswell. lol

JRL said:
If Money was the only reason that you wanted to be a Pharmacist, then why don't you become a Dentist or an Optometrist? They all make good money.
My question is "why Pharmacy"?

optometrists actually aren't doing all that great these days, especially those in private practice.

Because I love helping people get their narcotic fix for the week.

Members don't see this ad :)
So when I try to cousel a patient on their New medication, they will say "I'm in a hurry and the instructions are on the bottle right?"

sheeesh, maybe I made the wrong decision ;)

Maestrojo said:
not that easy to access buddy.
Tell that to a pharmacist that was brought before the board that got away with 50,000 tablets (over a period of time) before he got caught.

On topic: The blend of biology/chemistry, work just about any hours you want (ie not 9 to 5), and the salary.

undertow said:
money,money,money.

Dude, nobody would go through ANY four year professional schooling (and residency) if it only paid 40k, whether be pharmacy, medical, or any other field for that matter.

A 40k job just doesn't balance out the cost of a four year tuition or the time given to study.

But why pharmacy?

To know the mechanisms and all the how's of the medications (and pretty much anything) that you introduce into your body.

Flexibility and lifestyle balanced with a great salary - I have other career plans the pharmd, with its flexibility, will allow me to pursue.

If that's your only reason for doing pharmacy, I'd hate for YOU to be my pharmacist. You'll see for yourself soon enough. If your greed surpasses your passion, then you can not succeed at the task at hand. Good luck to you though!
undertow said:
money,money,money.

The flexibility and job market was my main draw to pharmacy. Its always nice to be financially stable to when I want to start a family so pay is a plus too. I knew I wanted to go into healthcare with my brother being a physician and my sister being a nurse. I thought about dentistry for awhile, but after shadowing it just wasn't my cup of tea. The pharmacists I've spoken with are always talking about how different the profession will be in 10 years and I'm excited to be part of the change.

NCRxgal said:
If your greed surpasses your passion, then you can not succeed at the task at hand.

This is a naive generalization that implies that if you have passion you have competence. These do not necessarily go hand in hand, just as greed and competence are not automatically mutually exclusive. I'll pick someone who is doing it for the money and is good at what they do over someone who is passionate yet inept any day of the week.

Now you're assuming that people who are in it for the money are typically good at what they do. More often than not, I'm willing to bet you'll find that someone who is passionate about something is typically better at what they do than someone with alterior motives. Dont' get me wrong, money was one of my deciding factors, but not number one on the list. I could not imagine doing something for the rest of my life that I did not enjoy, only because the pay was great. Life is just too short for that! You have to actually live it to understand that concept. And no, I don't believe my generalization was a hasty one. Take care.
imperial frog said:
This is a naive generalization that implies that if you have passion you have competence. These do not necessarily go hand in hand, just as greed and competence are not automatically mutually exclusive. I'll pick someone who is doing it for the money and is good at what they do over someone who is passionate yet inept any day of the week.

Now you're assuming that people who are in it for the money are typically good at what they do.

I dont think he assumed that. If anything, you're the one who assumed that people are incompetent when money is their main reason. Some of my friends are nurses(for job stability, money, etc) and they're doing fine(they havent been fired or been sued). Although nursing and pharmacy are both different, the central idea of competence and greed are not exactly mutually exclusive just like he said.

For the record, I'd also take the same thing: greedy yet competent pharmacist than passionate but inept. Unlikely I know, but possible.

to each their own, really...

why pharmacist?? (before graduation)
1. happy about the $$$$
2. flexibility
3. pt care but not too demanding like MDs

why pharmacist?? (one month after licensed)
1. $$$$ (very happy with my first paycheck)
2. easy to look for a job anywhere
3. you are the boss on the day u r on duty

why pharmacist?? (now...)
1. not paid enough for what i do everyday
2. dealing with upset customers, stupid insurance, medicaid/medicare problems, prior authorizations, customers screaming at you because they cannot get their norco/vicodin/xanax fill early, trying to figure out MD's hand writing (not so much of a problem now but some MDs just cant write), & etc.
3. standing all day!!

so basically, i dont see anything so great about being a pharmacist in terms of making a lot of money. 100k a year is not a lot of money. maybe i'm just being greedy. :(

Dude, nobody would go through ANY four year professional schooling (and residency) if it only paid 40k, whether be pharmacy, medical, or any other field for that matter.

A 40k job just doesn't balance out the cost of a four year tuition or the time given to study.

Believe it or not...go get a PH D in chemistry or biology. You might be thinking, I'll be racking in crazy money after that. Job markets are not all that great for PH D folks in industry and govt. and the competition is very high(relatively speaking). So then your forced to apply to the next available thing....POSTDOC. Here you make 35,000 a year for working 40 - 60 hours (depending on the level of dedication) a week. Low pay, over worked, and your contributing a lot of beautiful papers that further contribute to scientific knowledge database. So now your stuck in this postdoc stage and you need out and real fast. But unfortunately, depending on your luck, you will stay in this stage for another 5 years. Worst case scenario here has been 8 years.

Everyone says that there primary reason to do pharmacy is the money.

If you were all paid... 50 k a year canadian... would you still love your job?

I believe that's what pharmacist get here in my province in canada.

anyways just curious!!

100k US compared to 50 k canadian is a huge difference!!! but i'm still pursuing the career none the less.....

benzylique said:
Everyone says that there primary reason to do pharmacy is the money.

If you were all paid... 50 k a year canadian... would you still love your job?

I believe that's what pharmacist get here in my province in canada.

anyways just curious!!

100k US compared to 50 k canadian is a huge difference!!! but i'm still pursuing the career none the less.....

With the recent decline of the US dollar, there's only a 10% difference, nowadays.

NCRxgal said:
Now you're assuming that people who are in it for the money are typically good at what they do.

Wow...that's pretty impressive that you got that from what I wrote because there was no implication of this in there at all unless you switched around, left out, or added a few words of your own.

Phantom_Eclipse said:
I dont think he assumed that. If anything, you're the one who assumed that people are incompetent when money is their main reason. Some of my friends are nurses(for job stability, money, etc) and they're doing fine(they havent been fired or been sued). Although nursing and pharmacy are both different, the central idea of competence and greed are not exactly mutually exclusive just like he said.

For the record, I'd also take the same thing: greedy yet competent pharmacist than passionate but inept. Unlikely I know, but possible.

I'm sure everyone, including your nurse friends had SOME sort of interest in providing a greater good for mankind (I hope), otherwise I really could not see them putting up with the long hours and hard labor that comes with their positions. That was my only point. Of course, no one wants an incompetent pharmacist or even a nurse and I was not asking you all to choose between the lesser of two evils either. My point is that really no one, especially those in healthcare should sell themselves short by serving their communities simply because of money. There are so many other less time-consuming and less grueling fields to go into that could pay more. Let's be realistic, no one would do this type of work for free, nor would I. Professional schools have huge influxes of 'the smartest of the smart'. They hold these interviews in attempts to weed out those individuals you are just 'in it for the money'. The criteria for these schools are good grades, so we know that everyone has them. What really separates the piss poor pharmacists from the ones that are actually positively impacting their communities, are the ones with THE PASSION AND THE DRIVE. More often than not, you can tell through their attitudes, and demeanors that they really just don't want to be there. These same attitudes are projected onto the customer. How many times have you had a bad pharmacy experience? I have has a couple in my day. Frankly, that's one of the problems in healthcare today, not enough people with the heart to do it, too many just filling in space. To me, you are a waste of space, otherwise, (not you personally):).

NCRxgal said:
I'm sure everyone, including your nurse friends had SOME sort of interest in providing a greater good for mankind (I hope), otherwise I really could not see them putting up with the long hours and hard labor that comes with their positions.

My wife is a nurse and the only reason she went into it was because it was what her parents wanted her to do and she couldn't afford to pay for schooling for herself so she went along with it. Greater good for mankind was never part of the equation. My friend is a pharmacist who went into it for the same reason...his mother wanted him to do it and he had a pathological desire to please her even though he really wanted to go into computer science.

She's been a nurse for going on 21 years now and has never liked the work but she's stuck with it because opportunities to make 130k a year with a two year degree are few and far between. However, even though she does not like the profession, her work ethic is such that she cannot allow herself to give any patient less than her best, which is greater than just about any other nurse in any hospital she's worked in. Passion for the job...near zero. Quality of service...immeasurable. Same goes for my pharmacist friend.

One point that people miss when they make the assumption that you have to have passion for the field is work ethic which is much more important. Some people will not let themselves fail at delivering the ultimate service to their patients or customers no matter how much apathy they have for their jobs and this doesn't strictly boil down to any passion they have.

My point is that really no one, especially those in healthcare should sell themselves short by serving their communities simply because of money. There are so many other less time-consuming and less grueling fields to go into that could pay more.

I don't know...my wife has a guaranteed 130k + income with her two year degree and her chances of making anywhere near that doing something else right now are risky. She likes the lifestyle it gives her even though she doesn't like the job. To her, the benefits far outweigh the liabilities and her patients would most likely do far worse with her replacement.

Put her down as doing it for the greed...but if you need a nurse, trust me, she's the one you want saving your life and taking care of you.

I'm sure everyone, including your nurse friends had SOME sort of interest in providing a greater good for mankind (I hope), otherwise I really could not see them putting up with the long hours and hard labor that comes with their positions. That was my only point.

I would change "some" to "barely, if there is any." Like frog's wife, they went into nursing because their parents, who are also nurses, wanted them to be nurses. When I asked them if that is what they really want, there was no unequivocal "yes." One likes to draw, but what can an art major do...realistically? A few likes to play in a band, but how many of these things can offer a good stable income? Granted, they dont hate nursing either, it just wasnt their passion. They are just choosing what would make sense for them in the future financially. I, for one, would not judge them with their decision that would give them a nice lifestyle and a comfortable income despite their apathy.

Here's my own example: If I had a choice of taking Calculus, which I utterly hate, or taking another upper-level science class, I'd choose the latter. However, since most pre-reqs include Calc, that doesn't stop me from doing my best to get an A in the class.

Now again, two different positions, but same idea: just because some people aren't passionate about their jobs, that doesnt mean they wont do their best on it. I'm not trying to disprove your point that people who doesnt have their heart on their job will less likely offer a quality service, but more than often, that is not always the case.

If I was a patient, I could care less if my pharmacist, or nurse, or any other healthcare professional, who I need a service of, was in it for the money. Just as long as they do their jobs right, more power to them!

NCRxgal said:
I'm sure everyone, including your nurse friends had SOME sort of interest in providing a greater good for mankind (I hope), otherwise I really could not see them putting up with the long hours and hard labor that comes with their positions. That was my only point. Of course, no one wants an incompetent pharmacist or even a nurse and I was not asking you all to choose between the lesser of two evils either. My point is that really no one, especially those in healthcare should sell themselves short by serving their communities simply because of money. There are so many other less time-consuming and less grueling fields to go into that could pay more. Let's be realistic, no one would do this type of work for free, nor would I. Professional schools have huge influxes of 'the smartest of the smart'. They hold these interviews in attempts to weed out those individuals you are just 'in it for the money'. The criteria for these schools are good grades, so we know that everyone has them. What really separates the piss poor pharmacists from the ones that are actually positively impacting their communities, are the ones with THE PASSION AND THE DRIVE. More often than not, you can tell through their attitudes, and demeanors that they really just don't want to be there. These same attitudes are projected onto the customer. How many times have you had a bad pharmacy experience? I have has a couple in my day. Frankly, that's one of the problems in healthcare today, not enough people with the heart to do it, too many just filling in space. To me, you are a waste of space, otherwise, (not you personally):).

I don't know a lot of fields that guarantee $100K straight out of school. Don't say business or banking either because the VAST majority of graduates in those field never see that type of money.

Every pharmacist I have worked with chose pharmacy for a variety of reasons, including money. There is nothing wrong with that.

When I decided on pharmacy I chose it because:

1. It provides a GREAT income
2. Job stability is good
3. It is interesting to me
4. It was something I thought I could get into, and the training was not too long. Four years seemed like a reasonable sacrifice.

I'll take pragmatism over passion almost any day. I like pharmacy a lot but would not be doing this if it paid $40K.

I was honest about my motivations in my interview and got into my top choice without any trouble.

I agree with a lot of what is being said here. In a utopian world everyone would follow the career they were passionate about, but in some cases--most cases--that's just not realistic. I'm a person that likes art and would dare say that I have a passion for it. But knowing that artsits usually struggle quite a bit to keep a steady income, that's not the career that I'm going to pursue because it's not practical for me. I just think that passion has to meet practical somewhere.

PKPD, your post was somewhat ironic for me because I called a family friend this week who is a pharmacist to talk to her about her career. She basically told me that she despised being a pharmacist and that if she could redo everything she would have never pursued pharmacy. She went into it for the money, like so many do, and she said it's not even worth it. She also told me that most of the pharmacists she knows HATE their jobs. I asked her what was so bad about it and she mentioned some of the things that you have listed. Standing all day, rude customers, dealing with insurance companies, NO breaks throughout the day because she is the ONLY pharmacist working. Even bathroom breaks are hard to come by. I was shocked and thanking God I'm going into industry...On the upside though, she said it was the perfect job for women who have kids or want to have kids because it's a great way to make a lot of money without having to work full time.

I talked this over with my wife over a bottle of wine tonite (which she is defintely passionate about) and she said that what she has observed in her many years is that the nurses who had a passion about the profession because of a desire to actually help people were the ones who tended to burn out the fastest. Once they realize that for the most part the tasks required of them are not healing the sick but rather wiping their asses and waiting on them hand and feet they quickly reasses what they want to do and go somewhere else outside of healthcare.

collinisem said:
PKPD, your post was somewhat ironic for me because I called a family friend this week who is a pharmacist to talk to her about her career. She basically told me that she despised being a pharmacist and that if she could redo everything she would have never pursued pharmacy. She went into it for the money, like so many do, and she said it's not even worth it.

The question here though is why she is still doing it if the money isn't worth it.

imperial frog said:
I talked this over with my wife over a bottle of wine tonite (which she is defintely passionate about) and she said that she has observed in her many years is that the nurses who had a passion about the profession because of a desire to actually help people were the ones who tended to burn out the fastest. Once they realize that for the most part the tasks required of them are not healing the sick but rather wiping their asses and waiting on them hand and feet they quickly reasses what they want to do and go somewhere else outside of healthcare.

I agree with your wife. I think that people who are passionate have an innate desire to make a difference and change things for the better, etc. Too often, individual attitudes, institutional policies and politics make change very difficult. Those same people who are so invested and so passionate are often naive about their actual ability to affect their environment and end up frustrated, disillusioned and burned out.

I've been there. My first job after college was as an emergency financial assistance/financial counseling worker. I had grand ideas about how I was going to help people with budgets, get off welfare, out of debt, etc. After about a month on the job, I realized all my clients wanted was a check and to get the h*ll out of our office.

I learned that you just have to do your best and do what you can to help people. I also learned that social work was not the right field for me!

I'm glad for your wife that she found her happy medium, but she's a rare one indeed :rolleyes:

imperial frog said:
My wife is a nurse and the only reason she went into it was because it was what her parents wanted her to do and she couldn't afford to pay for schooling for herself so she went along with it. Greater good for mankind was never part of the equation. My friend is a pharmacist who went into it for the same reason...his mother wanted him to do it and he had a pathological desire to please her even though he really wanted to go into computer science.

She's been a nurse for going on 21 years now and has never liked the work but she's stuck with it because opportunities to make 130k a year with a two year degree are few and far between. However, even though she does not like the profession, her work ethic is such that she cannot allow herself to give any patient less than her best, which is greater than just about any other nurse in any hospital she's worked in. Passion for the job...near zero. Quality of service...immeasurable. Same goes for my pharmacist friend.

One point that people miss when they make the assumption that you have to have passion for the field is work ethic which is much more important. Some people will not let themselves fail at delivering the ultimate service to their patients or customers no matter how much apathy they have for their jobs and this doesn't strictly boil down to any passion they have.

I don't know...my wife has a guaranteed 130k + income with her two year degree and her chances of making anywhere near that doing something else right now are risky. She likes the lifestyle it gives her even though she doesn't like the job. To her, the benefits far outweigh the liabilities and her patients would most likely do far worse with her replacement.

Put her down as doing it for the greed...but if you need a nurse, trust me, she's the one you want saving your life and taking care of you.

It's ironic that you all chose something that your passionate about to enjoy your evening.

imperial frog said:
I talked this over with my wife over a bottle of wine tonite (which she is defintely passionate about) and she said that she has observed in her many years is that the nurses who had a passion about the profession because of a desire to actually help people were the ones who tended to burn out the fastest. Once they realize that for the most part the tasks required of them are not healing the sick but rather wiping their asses and waiting on them hand and feet they quickly reasses what they want to do and go somewhere else outside of healthcare.

Indeed, but to view this world through the perspective that "you really can not make that much of a difference" is a pessimistic one. Gauging yourself is key as well as being realistic with your potential. Making a difference does not necessary mean being the next MLK, but rather that one person who can clean up after you've ****ted (if that's a word) on yourself, or been on the phone for hours at a time to make sure this lady doesn't have to pay an outrageous amount for her meds. You just have to stay grounded in the business, because it is a business, but don't let the hardships discourage you all from the idea that you do positively impact the world, though in a small way.

All4MyDaughter said:
I agree with your wife. I think that people who are passionate have an innate desire to make a difference and change things for the better, etc. Too often, individual attitudes, institutional policies and politics make change very difficult. Those same people who are so invested and so passionate are often naive about their actual ability to affect their environment and end up frustrated, disillusioned and burned out.

I've been there. My first job after college was as an emergency financial assistance/financial counseling worker. I had grand ideas about how I was going to help people with budgets, get off welfare, out of debt, etc. After about a month on the job, I realized all my clients wanted was a check and to get the h*ll out of our office.

I learned that you just have to do your best and do what you can to help people. I also learned that social work was not the right field for me!

NCRxgal said:
Indeed, but to view this world through the perspective that "you really can not make that much of a difference" is a pessimistic one. Gauging yourself is key as well as being realistic with your potential. Making a difference does not necessary mean being the next MLK, but rather that one person who can clean up after you've ****ted (if that's a word) on yourself, or been on the phone for hours at a time to make sure this lady doesn't have to pay an outrageous amount for her meds. You just have to stay grounded in the business, because it is a business, but don't let the hardships discourage you all from the idea that you do positively impact the world, though in a small way.

I know. I've been in the workforce for almost 13 years now.

I help people all the time, but I am realistic about how much one person can accomplish. I no longer intend to take work home with me, make work my life, lose sleep at night because I can't fix every problem, save everyone, etc.

I'll take pragmatism over passion, anytime.

Everyone has their own motivations.

PS: I just want to add that I really do admire your idealism and dedication. Seriously, I think it's great.

imperial frog said:
The question here though is why she is still doing it if the money isn't worth it.

You're right. I guess it is worth it on some level because she's still doing it. Otherwise, why isn't she working somewhere else?

Parents are making me?

Got tired of the money reason.

I tend to skip over these threads because what motivated me is irrelevant to what will motivate someone else. Likewise, my judgement of what should or should not be a valid motivator to be a good or bad pharmacist is irrelevant as long as I can work with my colleagues & I don't feel I have to fix someone else's mistakes (consistently - honestly....we all make mistakes!!!).

After reading these posts...can you see that what might have been your motivation before you began your professional journey is not what motivates you now or in the future to stay current & interested?

Money is always a big issue. When you are young,you have lots of loans (or see lots of loans in your future), want to begin a life with a partner, buy houses, cars, etc....money is a strong motivator.

Money should still be a motivator for me - I'm paying for one child in medical school & one in undergraduate school. But....I've also paid a mortgage, bought more cars than I can count, paid for dancing lessons, little league uniforms, vacations....money doesn't worry me so much as it did because I know it will all be done.

The longer you practice...the more you tend to value the support your employer gives you, the interaction with your patients & medical colleagues, the free time your job allows you, the ability to continue to learn the vast knowledge of drugs that increases each year.

Lots of studies have been done & pharmacists are a unique group to study when looking at what motivates people for job satisfaction. Age & gender have different motivations - all equally valid & suprisingly fluid. You'll be asked more than once during your career to fill out a survey about what makes you happy & unhappy about your career. When you fill it out, try to think back to what you thought was important now. :)

NCRxgal said:
There are so many other less time-consuming and less grueling fields to go into that could pay more.

I had to think about this quote and other along the same line in this thread.

The truth, is that the great majority of people in this country will never make a six-figure salary for one year in their lifetime. I'm not a pharmacist, but from what I've gathered about the field, it can compare favorably to other lucrative fields...just depends. But to come out of any professional program making close to six-figures is a great start.

Law - If you're able to land a job at a top firm out of law school, you'll surely earn a great salary...but work a ton of hours. Chances of making partner are very slim. Ultra-competitive; can be a very stressful field. We don't need anymore lawyers!

Business/IT - Many opportunities. Can take awhile to really start earning or if you work your way up through a corporation. Lots of politics and stress can be a major issue. Chances of making six-figs out of an MBA program are a lot better if you do well and graduate from a top-ten school.

Medicine - We all know the downsides...on-call duty, long hours, malpractice lawsuits, etc

Engineering - Probably one of the better paths to take. Always in need, good pay, lots of opportunity.

Government - Depends on the position. Stable jobs, may not see great pay increases.

Add me to the list of people considering Pharmacy. The stability, demand, good pay, specialized content and lifestyle are what appeal to me. Some people say the hours suck, others say the opposite. Although I've become very interested....like a lot of things, even though you may not love the job, you work to gain the things you would like to have and support a favorable lifestyle. I feel like Pharmacy would allow me to pursue ventures and interests outside of field, which would be nice.

collinisem said:
PKPD, your post was somewhat ironic for me because I called a family friend this week who is a pharmacist to talk to her about her career. She basically told me that she despised being a pharmacist and that if she could redo everything she would have never pursued pharmacy. She went into it for the money, like so many do, and she said it's not even worth it. She also told me that most of the pharmacists she knows HATE their jobs. I asked her what was so bad about it and she mentioned some of the things that you have listed. Standing all day, rude customers, dealing with insurance companies, NO breaks throughout the day because she is the ONLY pharmacist working. Even bathroom breaks are hard to come by. I was shocked and thanking God I'm going into industry...On the upside though, she said it was the perfect job for women who have kids or want to have kids because it's a great way to make a lot of money without having to work full time.
Just as a side note - not all employers are alike, and there are plenty of retail pharmacists who get a lunch break everyday. You just need to pick your state and employer carefully. I know that Eckerds and Wal-mart in our area all close for 1/2 hour so the pharmacist can have a break.

"why pharmacy..?"

I ask myself that everyday.

in the beginning...
1) decent money
2) job security
3) interest in medicine without getting bloody or messy

now...(4 years after getting my license)
1) money is great. I have more at 29 than many will ever have.

2) people are wearing me down. years of abuse and lack of respect are really getting to me. whoever said pharmacy is a respected profession needs to work where I work. we get ZERO.

3) what medicine? I am a factory worker. type and check as fast as you can.

4) demand is greater than ever. I hope to stay in the game a little longer than maybe try another business venture.

At least I get to drive my M3 to work :)