why do you want to be a vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elephantom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking about becoming pre-vet, and was just curious why/how all of you guys decided you wanted to be a vet (yep, the age old question haha) :)

Members don't see this ad.

I did because I consider animal medicine to be the basis of human medicine...I'd like to find treatments and mechanisms for diseases of both. Besides, before any drug or treatment makes it to the human market there is extensive animal testing and research...who better to do it that a veterinarian?:D

It's what I'm passionate about. Even working at the lowest level in a vet clinic, I was excited about coming in to work every day. I have had a multitude of other jobs, where I just feel like I want to quite day after day. Now that I'm actually in vet school, I find that despite the fact that classes are not the most enjoyable thing in the world, I really enjoy learning about most of the subjects (histology not among them, unfortunately). I love problem-solving, as well. But then again, I am one of those people who has known since infancy that I wanted to be a vet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally, when I was younger, I wanted to treat dogs and cats. Now, as I have gotten older and done a different career path (legal), I have come back around to the idea of vet school. Only now, my focus has been more toward public health like WhtsTheFrequency mentioned. I want to concentrate on diseases and outbreak prevention/control.

Last edited:
I decided to be a vet because I want to sit around all day and pet the cute lil' puppies and kitties.

I want to cut stuff open.

I am sick of my father referring to himself Dr. C........ when in reality he has an Ed.D. So I am determined to become a real doctor.

If we had socialized health care I would have gone into human medicine.

I figured a DVM would make me more more diverse when I apply to law school.

Or were you looking for more of a real answer?

Last edited:
I love working with animals and I love medicine. Seemed the logical choice.

And working in a vet clinic and taking the pre-vet classes only reinforces that decision.

I figured a DVM would make me more more diverse when I apply to law school.

I was just chatting with an attorney the other day who is working on a case I have and he said that there were a few MD's in his law school class. Apparently this happens fairly frequently, so they have a get-together every year and call it the Med Malpractice ball!! :laugh: I found it pretty amusing.

I want to be a vet because I am fascinated by medicine and need to be around animals as much as possible. I've heard the "why not human medicine?" question before and my answer to that is: "Have you looked around at about 60% of our fellow species? They're pretty disgusting." Kind of harsh, but true.

I did because I consider animal medicine to be the basis of human medicine...I'd like to find treatments and mechanisms for diseases of both. Besides, before any drug or treatment makes it to the human market there is extensive animal testing and research...who better to do it that a veterinarian?:D

I second that notion! :thumbup:

because its the only job that i can get paid to look inside a horse and say "WHOA! a pedunculated lipoma?? COOL!!"

I want to be a Vet because "Real Doctors Treat More Than One Species."

Members don't see this ad :)
'cause animals are cute and fluffy:banana::banana::banana::zip:

I want to cut stuff open.

I am sick of my father referring to himself Dr. C........ when in reality he has an Ed.D. So I am determined to become a real doctor.

The topic is why do you want to be a vet, not why do you want to be a human doctor.

The topic is why do you want to be a vet, not why do you want to be a human doctor.

By real doctor I mean't vet. :)

The only "fake" doctors in my opinion are people who hold a doctorate in an unrelated field to the one they actively work in and yet still insist on being addressed with the Dr. title.

Because I don't love animals enough.

...of course I'm referring to the dozen times I have been told "I wanted to be a vet, but I just love animals too much." :mad:

Because I don't love animals enough.

...of course I'm referring to the dozen times I have been told "I wanted to be a vet, but I just love animals too much." :mad:

My favorite is "I really wanted to be a vet and I love animals so much.... but I don't think I could put an animal down." (even though they technically put their own pets down... just not them exactly haha)

My sister also doesn't want to be a veterinarian because she "loves animals and doesn't want to see them suffering," which is also why she won't visit/consider volunteering with shelters. ):

As for me, I want to work in a field where I can help animals. As a vegan & animal rights activist, helping non-human animals is my primary passion. Being able to make a difference, the challenge, the constant opportunities for growth and improvement, as well as the interaction with both humans and non-human animals really appeals to me.

As a vegan & animal rights activist, helping non-human animals is my primary passion. Being able to make a difference, the challenge, the constant opportunities for growth and improvement, as well as the interaction with both humans and non-human animals really appeals to me.

As an "animal rights" activist, you do realize the main goal of animal rights is to not have human/non-human interaction, right?:confused:

Last edited:
But those poor enslaved honey bees having to vomit up the fruits of their labor and then subjecting them to choking smoke in order to subdue to collect their honey for our taste buds. That's worse than foie gras! :eek: I actually have vegan friends who would say you're not a vegan. *shrug*

For people who are really into animal rights, you may actually be more comfortable doing something like running or helping with animal sanctuaries or something like that rather than vet med.

not always, depends where you draw the line. There are different organizations that tend to agree with different things. Its sort of like vegans don't eat honey- I'm a vegan but I don't see a problem with eating honey, and I really like baklava. Just depends where you want to draw the line. And some people are for certain parts of an animal rights agenda, but not really against pet ownership.

Maybe but the term "activist" implies the extreme of what preceeds the title. So declaring yourself an animal rights activist and at the same time working in the veterinary field is (in my very strong, not going to change about this, opinion) hypocritical.

Maybe but the term "activist" implies the extreme of what preceeds the title. So declaring yourself an animal rights activist and at the same time working in the veterinary field is (in my very strong, not going to change about this, opinion) hypocritical.

I don't think so; there is even an association of veterinarians who do animal rights work as well, The Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights.

I don't plan on engaging in animal testing. I haven't encountered any situations in my field experience that are contrary to my beliefs.

AR isn't about ending human/animal interaction, it's about stopping the exploitation of animals. For example, I don't support buying companion animals from breeders (contributes to the overpopulation issue, treats animals as commodities,) but I do support adoption, as it's beneficial to them, providing you care for them well.

AR isn't about ending human/animal interaction, it's about stopping the exploitation of animals. For example, I don't support buying companion animals from breeders (contributes to the overpopulation issue, treats animals as commodities,) but I do support adoption, as it's beneficial to them, providing you care for them well.

Right, so the breeders who actually care about their bitches and studs, and breed for specific traits in a responsible manner and can place 100% of their pups are bad people. But we should be more accepting of all the Chihauhau X, pitbull X, and other mixes from the owners who were unwilling to spend the couple hundred bucks to spay and neuter their pets.

Their are "breeders", "back yard breeders", and "puppy mills". You need to recognize the differences as they vary greatly.

I work with breeders on a daily basis and have a great deal of respect for them and the quality of dog they breed. They are not the ones you need to go after to address the animal overpopulation issues.

I don't think so; there is even an association of veterinarians who do animal rights work as well, The Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights.

I don't plan on engaging in animal testing. I haven't encountered any situations in my field experience that are contrary to my beliefs.

Every practice in veterinary medicine and every new drug involves/ed animal testing. How can you practice veterinary medicine and not realize you are supporting biomedical research:mad:? I realize that AVAR exists, but that does not change my opinion that a veterinarian should not seriously believe they are truely "animal rights activists." Animal rights means animals are equal to humans. So you are at a building on fire with a kitten newborn and a human baby. The baby is a little farther from you than the kitten. The animal rights activist argument would say you go for the kitten which is closer because the kitten is the equal to the baby. Do you really believe that?

I really shouldn't be posting on this because it is one topic that I have very strong opinions about so I apologize in advance if I offend.

Every practice in veterinary medicine and every new drug involves/ed animal testing. How can you practice veterinary medicine and not realize you are supporting biomedical research:mad:? I realize that AVAR exists, but that does not change my opinion that a veterinarian should not seriously believe they are truely "animal rights activists." Animal rights means animals are equal to humans. So you are at a building on fire with a kitten newborn and a human baby. The baby is a little farther from you than the kitten. The animal rights activist argument would say you go for the kitten which is closer because the kitten is the equal to the baby. Do you really believe that?

I really shouldn't be posting on this because it is one topic that I have very strong opinions about so I apologize in advance if I offend.

Psychiatrists, academia, psychologists, nutrition, and many other fields use biomedical research and animal testing. I don't agree with it but providing veterinary care, medications, and procedures that may have been tested on animals isn't the same as actually doing research.

I do believe that animals and humans deserve equal consideration. Both the kitten and the baby can feel pain and have invested interests in continuing to live. I think unlikely, hypothetical, situations are an unfair and unrealistic way to judge a value because there are so many factors that come into play. One book that talks about the basis of AR and even a similar hypothetical situation is "Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog?" by Gary L. Francione. Here's also a list of FAQs you may find helpful.

I probably shouldn't be discussing this either as my life consists of school, work, activism, sleeping, and eating. I don't know what your definition of an activist is (it seems to differ from mine). I do mostly outreach (tabling, leafleting, handing out literature and food,) petition signing & forwarding, writing letters & editorials, volunteering with rescue organizations, demonstrations, and work on campaigns - most recently against foie gras in our area. :)
http://www.animal-rights.com/arpage.htm

Right, so the breeders who actually care about their bitches and studs, and breed for specific traits in a responsible manner and can place 100% of their pups are bad people. But we should be more accepting of all the Chihauhau X, pitbull X, and other mixes from the owners who were unwilling to spend the couple hundred bucks to spay and neuter their pets.

Their are "breeders", "back yard breeders", and "puppy mills". You need to recognize the differences as they vary greatly.

I work with breeders on a daily basis and have a great deal of respect for them and the quality of dog they breed. They are not the ones you need to go after to address the animal overpopulation issues.

I think it's irresponsible regardless of what type of breeder you are. There are millions of animals in shelters, millions euthanized every year because there aren't enough homes. I don't believe in intentionally breeding more animals while we don't have enough homes for all of them already.

I don't agree with it but providing veterinary care, medications, and procedures that may have been tested on animals isn't the same as actually doing research.

Your same argument can be made for eating meat. Eating my steak, chicken, veal, frois grois whatever, is not the same as actually raising the animals (or force feeding them) for food or actually killing them myself:cool:....

Your same argument can be made for eating meat. Eating my steak, chicken, veal, frois grois whatever, is not the same as actually raising the animals (or force feeding them) for food or actually killing them myself:cool:....

The difference is to me, by providing veterinary care you're helping animals. Eating them doesn't provide animals with any benefit.

The difference is to me, by providing veterinary care you're helping animals. Eating them doesn't provide animals with any benefit.

I agree with you there, but they are still using the products of the industry. You are a vegan, and in that right you follow your belief by not supporting the food animal industry. I have respect for that.:thumbup: I do not have respect for any person who uses a product of an industry, and then says they support a belief that the industry is outright completely wrong. You should not do anything involved in animal testing if you are a true "animal rights activist":thumbdown:.

That is only my not so humble opinion.

Interesting discussion. It is truly amazing how different we all think. I grew up on a cattle farm and love production animal medicine. My whole goal going into vet med is to work with farmers. If an animal is not producing then she should be shipped for slaughter IMHO. Most people in my class would share this opinion - even the small animal only people. In the end economics and common sense always win. I think gotsoy is in for a rough road if she/he actually makes it into vet school.

I'm moving this from the other thread over here:

Something to think about as far as exotics go, if you go into private practice, people will bring you all sorts of crazy crap (anything from big cats to big herps) that really don't belong any where but a well run and funded sanctuary or zoo. These aren't dogs or cattle who have been domesticated for tens of thousands of years. These are 20+ foot long reticulated pythons that someone is keeping in their trailer and feeding live goats or an adolescent tiger whose joints are shot due to living in the owner's van and poor nutrition (this actually happened to a tiger that was brought into our teaching hospital spring of 2007). So if you want to get into exotics outside of wildlife rehab or zoo medicine (which is extremely competitive and low paying), just be aware that animals in these conditions can suffer even more than in the worst factory farms, even if the owner "just didn't know."

Also, as far as companion animals like dogs go, please please do NOT alienate the outstanding breeders out there. Three out of the four of my dogs are either from shelters or rescues and I have a foster Rottweiler that I'm training as a therapy dog right now. I've done shelter volunteering for years, fostered dozens of dogs (and a few pocket pets along the way), and I'm vice president of our shelter club at the vet school. However, we still need responsible breeders that test for good health, good temperament, good working ability, and so on (notice I didn't say show breeders, as many trends in the show ring have lead to the downfall of many breeds). There are wonderful exceptions that come out of shelters, but the top working police, military, search and rescue, and sport performance dogs are created mostly due to outstanding breeders. These outstanding breeders often have likewise helped out with shelter and rescue work themselves. So just a heads up. ;)

Electrophile said:
There are wonderful exceptions that come out of shelters, but the top working police, military, search and rescue, and sport performance dogs are created mostly due to outstanding breeders.

I have a feeling that a person who describes themselves as an animal rights abolitionist doesn't think that we should be using dogs for police, military, search and rescue or competitive sport performance.

Psychiatrists, academia, psychologists, nutrition, and many other fields use biomedical research and animal testing. I don't agree with it but providing veterinary care, medications, and procedures that may have been tested on animals isn't the same as actually doing research.

I am somewhat sympathetic to some of abolitionist/rights argument, although I fall on the utilitarian/welfare side of the issue.

That said, saying that providing services that are based on animal testing is not the same as actually doing research... Well, I think that's unsupportable. The person who said that it is the same as eating meat because, after all, you didn't actually kill the cow, is right on.

I think, as you progress further in your education, that these inconsistencies will sandbag any belief in or quest for abolitionist purity. By that I mean, it's appealing to have a paradigm that is logical and internally consistent, but... life gets in the way, especially if you have more interaction with animals rather than less. You are seeing that now, with your desire to use the fruits of biomedical research without appearing to support biomedical research.

Which is not to say that I don't think that someone who falls more towards the animal rights side of the spectrum can't make it through vet school. I do, however, think that anyone who starts school needs to realize that compromises need to be made.

####

On another note, I don't think it's particularly helpful for posters to be labeling people who believe in animal rights as crazies (cf. other recent threads). That's like calling all Muslims terrorists. Some animal rights true-believers may do execrable things like break into labs, while plenty of others may limit themselves to avoiding meat at the grocery store. </soapbox>

On another note, I don't think it's particularly helpful for posters to be labeling people who believe in animal rights as crazies (cf. other recent threads). That's like calling all Muslims terrorists. Some animal rights true-believers may do execrable things like break into labs, while plenty of others may limit themselves to avoiding meat at the grocery store. </soapbox>

I agree with Chris. Laura, that may be true of the casual supporter of groups like PETA who sees a sad video or two on their website and writes a $20 check out to them. Indeed, one of the problems is that a lot of people who casually support PETA, the HSUS, and other organizations is that they aren't even aware of the activities that their donations go towards: fraudulently euthanizing healthy animals, actively supporting BSL and other legislation that hurts responsible pet owners, actively or passively supporting animal liberation terrorists and so on. None of which the average vet and certainly not something an admission committee would look on with favor (which I'm sure why they asked that kind of question in our admissions essays).

If you are an animal rights activist, especially supporting animal liberation, that says to me you're at a different level of participation and you actively support most of what groups like PETA supports. This is much more than just a personal decision not to eat meat that you keep to yourself. I haven't called anyone a crazy (I tend to say "hardcore PETA folks"), but those sets of beliefs are going to be difficult to reconcile with the animal welfare viewpoint of veterinary medicine.

Electrophile explained it well. I have no personal qualms with people who don't want to eat meat or wear clothing made from animals or not use products that test on animals, or whatever, as long as they keep it to themselves and don't prosetylize. Unfortunately, a very large part of animal rights activism is prosetylization. The personal code of ethics of another person do not concern me until they start to impinge upon me or my own code of ethics in one way or the other. And that includes implying that I'm immoral because I work in animal research, or because I enjoy eating chicken (the only meat that I do like - incidentally, my reasons for getting incensed at this have little to do with OH GOD I NEED BEEF or anything).

It is not at all like calling all Muslims terrorists. The religious beliefs of Muslims do not, as far as I know, condemn society and call for the eradication of entire industries. The actual core beliefs behind the idea of the animal rights movement are at odds with society - not just their fringe beliefs, as is the case with Muslims.

i'm not sure how it work in the states but here in australia the moment u decide to undertake vet medicine u pretty much step into a world where animal testing is the norm

from my day one in vet school i have seen so many dogs get euthanized juz so we vet students can learn their anatomy and stuffs. later years they will have to operate on animals then put them down.

sometimes i feel vet medicine is not about the animals, its more like protecting human interests, the animal medicine is merely a tiny offshoot of the whole of veterinary medicine.

if u are an animal activist/vegan i would think an alternate career path is a better choice

It is not at all like calling all Muslims terrorists. The religious beliefs of Muslims do not, as far as I know, condemn society and call for the eradication of entire industries. The actual core beliefs behind the idea of the animal rights movement are at odds with society - not just their fringe beliefs, as is the case with Muslims.

Nah, I don't buy this. People who believe in animal rights are not condemning society or at odds with society any more than people who believe in, say, gay rights or immigration reform or any other cause. They are not rejecting society as a whole, but striving to improve one aspect of society. As for calling for the eradication of entire industries, well, they'll have to get in line with the anti-pornography activists, anti-nuclear advocates and anti-logging folks.

It seems like a lot of people have constructed a PETA bogeyman, which is intensely interesting because a number of vegans I've conversed with think that PETA doesn't go far enough in terms of advocating for farmed animals. Maybe it's easier to say "PETA sucks," but it's an oversimplification of the animal protection movement.

I just think that it does not serve veterinarians well to have such a knee-jerk reaction to people who believe in animal rights. I think we should focus on our similarities rather than our differences, and seek discussion rather than condemnation.

i'm not sure how it work in the states but here in australia the moment u decide to undertake vet medicine u pretty much step into a world where animal testing is the norm

from my day one in vet school i have seen so many dogs get euthanized juz so we vet students can learn their anatomy and stuffs. later years they will have to operate on animals then put them down.

I think it really depends on where you go to school. I think someone with animal rights beliefs will need to compromise wherever they go. The question is how much.

The Association for Veterinarians for Animal Rights surveys US vet schools about their animal use policies: http://www.avar.org/tech_school.asp

As far as non-US schools, well, I would question the school very carefully before you enroll. For instance, for anatomy my school only uses dogs and other animals that were going to be euthanized anyway. Our first surgery is a recovery surgery. There are, however, animals that die solely in order for us to learn (so far, sheep, rabbits, rats, fish), although fewer than there have been in the past. The major stumbling block for someone who has strong feelings about animal rights would be the 14 weeks of work on a farm that are required to get the degree.

Well put laurafinn.:)

We put so much emphasis on labels, so that if one person calls themselves an animal rights activist, it could mean so many different things. To Chris 03333, this label means something very different than to gotsoy. Labels are too limiting. Life is never black and white; it contains many shades of gray. We shouldn't get so strongly opinionated about issues that we do or don't agree on.

Personally, I am going into this field because I want to help animals (whether its traveling to third world countries to help with animal welfare or working with animal shelters in the U.S to improve the lives of homeless animals, or just being a compassionate general practice vet). But everybody has something to contribute whether its in animal research or production animal medicine.

Simma down now.:)

First off, great thread!!

I don't *really* want to get involved, just again point out that there is a huge difference between "believing in animal rights" from a previous post and being an animal right activist.

I'm going to attempt to use religions as my example (don't flame me for it please!) - people believe all kinds of different things, and they all follow their individual codes and practices. And, to some extent, they all believe that their way is the right way, and everyone else is wrong :D. But it is only a handful of individuals that actively try to convert everyone else to their ways. IMO, it is that person that is the animal rights activist, while the others are the believers in animal rights.

Just a little bit on the whole animal testing during class for gotsoy. I don't have a problem with you having your beliefs or anything, but what will you do during physiology lab when the Dr. brings a dog in and test sometimes painful reactions? I mean, at our school (and at many other schools, I am sure), they tried to stay away from that sort of thing during student classes, but its going on all around you in the research labs within the vet school.

And I think this is a hard/touchy topic for some people because of the extremists (I'm using this to differentiate from activists since the way that has been defined by gotsoy is different from what I believe). At my undergrad institution, we had to close our labs occasionally due to activism, not to mention all the people that tried to convince me not to eat meat because it didn't agree with their agenda. We also had animals that had to be euthanized because they were released and no longer able to participate in their studies.

I'm done now.

Labels are too limiting. Life is never black and white; it contains many shades of gray. We shouldn't get so strongly opinionated about issues that we do or don't agree on.

That's kind of ironic that you say that, pitbull lover, as Ingrid Newkirk. the president of PETA, is VERY black and white how she feels about pit bulls. She'd prefer to have them politely all killed, but she will settle for them being legislated out of existence.

Those who argue against a breeding ban and the shelter euthanasia policy for pit bulls are naive...

I have scars on my leg and arm from my own encounter with a pit. Many are loving and will kiss on sight, but many are unpredictable. An unpredictable Chihuahua is one thing, an unpredictable pit another.

People who genuinely care about dogs won't be affected by a ban on pit- bull breeding. They can go to the shelter and save one of the countless other breeds and lovable mutts sitting on death row.

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/petaa.cfm
http://www.workingpitbull.com/truthaboutpeta.htm

Even Wayne Pacelle, CEO of the Humane Society of the United States (who is in bed with PETA, by the way), said the Michael Vick pit bulls were the most dangerous dogs in the country and all should be euthanized, despite the amazing success of wonderful groups like BADRAP.

So yes, pitbull lover, we SHOULD be able to get opinionated on things we believe strongly in. I would hope you would too.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."--Malcolm X

Nah, I don't buy this. People who believe in animal rights are not condemning society or at odds with society any more than people who believe in, say, gay rights or immigration reform or any other cause. They are not rejecting society as a whole, but striving to improve one aspect of society. As for calling for the eradication of entire industries, well, they'll have to get in line with the anti-pornography activists, anti-nuclear advocates and anti-logging folks.

Two people who are the same sex wanting to get married has no personal bearing on me or my life in general, regardless of whether I agree with their lifestyle or not. People who want to legislate certain dog breeds out of existence, take away all animals raised for food (even if done humanely and responsibly), and who want to stop all animal research DO personally impinge on me in a tangible way. And banning and/or killing all pit bulls (and likely other breeds) even if they are narcotics detection dogs, service dogs, therapy dogs, etc and being against the raising of all food animals (even if kept out on pasture with daily massages and Mozart being piped out to them) is at odds with society.

It seems like a lot of people have constructed a PETA bogeyman, which is intensely interesting because a number of vegans I've conversed with think that PETA doesn't go far enough in terms of advocating for farmed animals. Maybe it's easier to say "PETA sucks," but it's an oversimplification of the animal protection movement.

I just think that it does not serve veterinarians well to have such a knee-jerk reaction to people who believe in animal rights. I think we should focus on our similarities rather than our differences, and seek discussion rather than condemnation.

Animal protection movement? This is a new term to me, but protecting animals would be more along the lines of animal welfare, which we all should be for. Animals rights is a totally different kettle of fish. I in fact don't have a knee jerk reaction if someone says they believe strongly in animal rights. Heck, one of my letter of rec writers for me is a real hardcore PETA supporting vegan who even met Ingrid Newkirk at a PETA convention (she's the foster care coordinator at the shelter I foster and volunteer for). I don't hold it against her and we actually get along well and I get along fine with the veggies and vegans in my class. But I do find that most people who think they support PETA and animal rights really have no idea what they are really up to with those millions of dollars in donations. I don't think it's a knee jerk reaction any more than seeing a video on PETA's website about clubbing adorable baby seals or doe-eyed beagles in a research lab and cutting them a fat check.

I'll be a vet because I'm so good with the bitches.