Why don't as many people go into OBGYN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to hijack but I really don't get why there is so much psych hate? Pay is higher than primary care, lifestyle is really good, psychiatrists have really high rates of job satisfaction...

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Psych patients aren't happy, unless they're manic phase bipolar and blowing their life's savings on hookers and coke. Your patients just drain you emotionally because its hard not to internalize their problems. Psychiatry seems awesome until you spend time on the adolescent psyche floor. You'll see. I enjoy it, but I enjoy it at the fringes (floridly psychotic patients in the psyche ED, et al). Just the day to day grind of trying to help sad people be less sad is tough.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally Posted by touchpause13
Not to hijack but I really don't get why there is so much psych hate? Pay is higher than primary care, lifestyle is really good, psychiatrists have really high rates of job satisfaction...

Psych patients aren't happy, unless they're manic phase bipolar and blowing their life's savings on hookers and coke. Your patients just drain you emotionally because its hard not to internalize their problems. Psychiatry seems awesome until you spend time on the adolescent psyche floor. You'll see. I enjoy it, but I enjoy it at the fringes (floridly psychotic patients in the psyche ED, et al). Just the day to day grind of trying to help sad people be less sad is tough.

I like ur assumptions about my psych experience. Obviously I have no experience. Nice try bud. Also in my experience all patients tend to be unhappy psych or otherwise
Also not all psychiatrists do inpatient work, from my understanding you can avoid that **** if ur not into it. The doc I shadowed worked at an eating disorder clinic, or you can have a private practice

I like ur assumptions about my psych experience. Obviously I have no experience. Nice try bud. Also in my experience all patients tend to be unhappy psych or otherwise

I've been assisting with a psychiatrist for Maryland Psychiatric Center, she is working with adolescents in group work and one on one, I haven't been discouraged at all. It's not for everyone. But no one should assume once you see ___ insert disorder here your not going to want to do it anymore! It takes a special type of person with true interest in the field to make a lifelong career out of it. touchpause spend some time on the Psychiatry forum, if you haven't already, much more refreshing.

Also,
It's obviously not as draining as many have concluded since they have some of the highest satisfaction ratings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also not all psychiatrists do inpatient work, from my understanding you can avoid that **** if ur not into it. The doc I shadowed worked at an eating disorder clinic, or you can have a private practice

Where did he make an assumption about your psych experience?

Haha, I was kidding everyone. I would never do OB/Gyn personally, but it's not for or against the sexual connotations related to the specialty. I'm just not a big babies fan, and nothing interests me about the science of that particular specialty.

Pons Asinorum said:

I guess I read that as "you'll see once you're actually in medical school" not "you'll see once you have some kind of experience with psych as a specialty." Presumably perspective can make a big difference.

Last edited:
Haha, I was kidding everyone. I would never do OB/Gyn personally, but it's not for or against the sexual connotations related to the specialty. I'm just not a big babies fan, and nothing interests me about the science of that particular specialty.
Ugh "sexual connotations"? Seriously? Maybe attitudes like yours are the reason behind the previously mentioned high litigation rate against male OBGYNs.
But I'm glad you're not interested in OBGYN. That's reassuring.

I didn't assume anything about you, but you're welcome for answering what I thought was an honest question. Looks like you've got it all figured out though.

lol "all patients tend to be unhappy"...that's quite the overarching statement there.

I would argue the most likely place to find happy patients is in obstetrics...

I would argue the most likely place to find happy patients is in obstetrics...

lol...happy when the baby finally comes out. Until then, hell to the naw.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about prestige, but I will say that as a society, we don't give a hot dang about women's or children's health...

I don't know about prestige, but I will say that as a society, we don't give a hot dang about women's or children's health...
Agreed. ObGyn sits right at that crossroads of healthcare and public health. Prestige or not, it's a great profession if you want influence how medicine interacts with society. That alone would keep me going to work a few more hours/week then the local ROADer.

As an example, and OBP correct me if I'm wrong, but the USA has the 3rd highest infant mortality rate of industrialized nations, and the 6th highest lbw rate.

Care to elaborate? I fail to see how society as a whole cares disproportionately more about the health of adult males.

you should take some sociology my friend! society as a whole cares about ALL things regarding adult men more than those regarding women and children.

you should take some sociology my friend! society as a whole cares about ALL things regarding adult men than those regarding women and children.

I guess it's just confusing terminology, because 50% of society is female. I was also assuming we were talking about the US population, which was a bad assumption.

the physical number of women in our society has nothing to do with how our we direct our resources, or how our outlooks on the current state of women/children/minorities in America are shaped.

the physical number of women in our society has nothing to do with how our we direct our resources, or how our outlooks on the current state of women/children/minorities in America are shaped.
+1
The fact that 50% of society is female doesn't mean there aren't structural impediments to good healthcare for women or change the fact that most of the population, male or female, has implicit (or sometimes explicit) biases that favor adult men over adult women.

Which is why women and children see the physician a lot more than adult men do?

As an example, and OBP correct me if I'm wrong, but the USA has the 3rd highest infant mortality rate of industrialized nations, and the 6th highest lbw rate.
For a number of reasons, some of which include the fact that we are doing better at keeping extremely premature neonates alive long to die after the 1 month mark, because other high-income countries don't count babies under 500 grams as babies at all (same source as above link), and because of the disparity of the delivery of health care in the US.

the rates are higher for minority groups
m6205qsf.gif

you should take some sociology my friend! society as a whole cares about ALL things regarding adult men more than those regarding women and children.
That's not true. Women's health issues garner quite a bit more attention than men's, especially in the media, and men see their physician significantly less often.

Which is why women and children see the physician a lot more than adult men do?

For a number of reasons, some of which include the fact that we are doing better at keeping extremely premature neonates alive long to die after the 1 month mark, because other high-income countries don't count babies under 500 grams as babies at all (same source as above link), and because of the disparity of the delivery of health care in the US.

the rates are higher for minority groups
m6205qsf.gif

That's not true. Women's health issues garner quite a bit more attention than men's, especially in the media, and men see their physician significantly less often.
It's possible that women's health issues garner more attention in the media because high profile efforts are made to restrict women's choices about their health.
Also, your observation that women see doctors more frequently than men doesn't say anything about whether women are recieving better healthcare than men. Why do women see their physicians more often than men?

It's possible that women's health issues garner more attention in the media because high profile efforts are made to restrict women's choices about their health.
Also, your observation that women see doctors more frequently than men doesn't say anything about whether women are recieving better healthcare than men. Why do women see their physicians more often than men?

:thumbup:

far more eloquent than I could have put it, haha.

I would also like to ask whether the fact that "Women's health issues garner quite a bit more attention than men's" means that women have better (or equal) healthcare. Are you saying there's a link between attention/publicity and health outcomes?

From this paper:

http://www.amcp.org/data/jmcp/JMCPSupp_April08_S2-S6.pdf

In 2004, the AHRQ reported that compared with men, women received better care for 18% of the measures, worse care for 22% of the measures, and the same level of care for 59% of the measures.

The healthcare discrepancies between different ethnic groups/socioeconomic classes seems to be a much, much bigger issue than healthcare discrepancies between men and women.

I agree that the healthcare discrepancies between ethnic groups and socioeconomic classes is a bigger issue than discrepancies between men and women.
Thanks for the article, will read it ASAP!

Am I the only person surprised that so many people are posting vulgar and immature comments on an academic/pre-physician/physician oriented forum?

Am I the only person surprised that so many people are posting vulgar and immature comments on an academic/pre-physician/physician oriented forum?
It surprised me at first too, but at least it's better than Reddit. I also think that on SDN for every immature comment there are hundreds of helpful ones.

Not really. Especially since you'll hear tons of vulgar words in an academic and hospital setting :p

That's true, but now the illusion of professionalism has been shattered.

To me, it's not vulgar comments that make people seem less professional, it's comments that are racist/sexist/homophobic. The fact that people are like that in academic and hospital settings too doesn't mean that we have to accept it.

What the hell is this thread even about anymore?

Since when was Ob/Gyn said to be sexual? I've rotated through this field and I'll tell you, there is nothing sexual about being showered in blood and warm amniotic fluid as you help hold down a screaming lady's thighs in a mcroberts maneuver. Or performing a cervical swab on a person with a foul-smelling vaginal infection

Now let's get back on the real topic, how psychiatry is one of the best specialties out there

To me, psych is something that is interesting to read about, but would make a terrible psychiatrist. :oops:

This thread has gotten way off track. From the cdc website:

Women with trichomoniasis may notice itching, burning, redness or soreness of the genitals, discomfort with urination, or a thin discharge with an unusual smell that can be clear, white, yellowish, or greenish.

I'd rather smell bovie.

Ob/Gyns have to deal with both. When your lady here with trichomonas gets pregnant and needs a c section guess who does the surgery?

Very, very well-played.

I thought about saying "I'd rather drill bones," but that seemed like a little too much innuendo for this particular thread.

Very, very well-played.

I thought about saying "I'd rather drill bones," but that seemed like a little too much innuendo for this particular thread.

lol

I roll my eyes at all you put off by the discharge. I sit here eating a delicious cup of greek yogurt as I read about trich, BV, etc.

Honestly, it's not that bad.

hahaha... wait, you're a 4th year! Shouldn't you be out at a bar somewhere getting hammered??

Nothing to reply to, but I see you're back from a bit of a break from our SDN glory days. Hope this finds you well!

I was inspired by your return. Precious few things motivate me to post, but the chance to exchange quips with my old friend Pons is too hard to pass up.

Btw, "My mistake...he be trollin'"...literally L'ed my AO.

Is "women's choices about their health" a surrogate for contraception and abortion? While those may be important women's issues, they contribute a tiny amount to the morbidity and mortality impact on women.

They're more anxious, but they're also less likely to be in denial. A man will say "Eh, this chest pain will go away."

I would also like to ask whether the fact that "Women's health issues garner quite a bit more attention than men's" means that women have better (or equal) healthcare. Are you saying there's a link between attention/publicity and health outcomes?
No, I was saying that it's incongruous to say that "society as a whole cares about ALL things regarding adult men more than those regarding women and children" when the reality is that society and the media are focusing on women's health issues more than men's health issues.

Let's pass on infant mortality rate as a controversial issue that doesn't reflect a lack of interest in caring for children. Now, the very high rate of preterm births, about 12%, is a more interesting and legitimate issue that isn't as subject to claims of being inaccurate or politically based.

It is due to a whole lot of reasons, including a large number of births at the low and high end of age ranges as well as high rates of multiple births. To the degree to which it is due to poor prenatal care availability, one could claim it was due to lack of interest in children. However, it is not really likely that lack of prenatal care availability remains a major problem in the US or that this drives the rate of prematurity at all.

On the other hand, the WIC program, the school breakfast/lunch programs and countless free health immunization projects for poor children, reflect a very strong support for the health of our country's children.

That does not mean that I don't believe we could do MORE for our children in many ways, but to say that we "don't give a hot dang" about children's health does not reflect the way I see our society. YMMV.

I think we care about women's and children's health at least as much as men's. If not more. We have a whole specialties dedicated to children and women. We don't have any that are exclusively for men.