Why I chose UQ-Ochsner. From a recent grad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fortune_Cookie_goss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was very pleased with the quality of the education I received both in Oz and New Orleans. I went to an Ivy for undergrad and though the clinical profs, and resources (research and clinical) at UQ were on par with what I had received at my former university. Best of all, Australia is one of the best places in the world to be.

Above all, I think the hospital time and weekly clinical counseling was the most helpful facet – I entered clerkship years very comfortable, and confident. UQ is affiliated with 3 major teaching hospitals, and Ochsner is the largest health care provider in the South.

Residency: I was happy about my interview offers – split between University and a few Uni-affiliated programs (9 University, 13 Uni-affiliated). I did not receive interviews at the top University programs but I think that was partly due to my board scores (220’s) – as friends of mine with higher scores (240’s) did receive a few top tier interviews.

Overall graduating from Australia and being in 2 different health systems was the best talking point in many of my talks with staff and PD. I wanted an international experience and I ultimately want to spend time working abroad in Oz and other places - I think this program is designed for people who seek a solid education, love to travel, and want the option to work in 2 different parts of the world. For those who want to stay in the US I believe the program is also a very viable option, baring you don’t want anything too competitive (although we did math Rads, Ortho, etc), as the program is still young and building steam.

UQ vs Caribean/DO schools is a moot point to me. To be honest, nobody cares in the real working world. I chose UQ because of location and because of the resources the University offered; and I know nothing about the Carb. Schools so I won’t opine – I’ve come to understand that regardless of where you go, you work hard to practice at the place you want. I have 1 carib grad in my residency program and I can’t imagine discrediting her b/c she went somewhere else for school.

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much for your write up!
Could you comment a little more on the availability of research opportunities in both Aus and Ochsner? Are clinicians and profs open to taking on students, particularly for epidemiological work?

Here are some valid disadvantages to the UQ-Ochsner program to balance out this discussion:

1. High tuition and high living expenses. Higher than a lot of options state-side.

2. Despite the reputation of UQ and Ochsner, the reality is that UQ Ochsner grads are still considered IMGs and therefore have a considerably lower chance of matching than US MDs and a lower chance of matching than US DOs.

3. From what I hear, UQ is good for independent learners and offers a flexible schedule but isn't great for people who like to have a ton of resources and help for USMLE prep etc. Although I do hear that UQ is trying to improve itself on this regard.

4. I've heard from some sources that there is some hostility displayed towards foreign students by some Oz natives. I've also heard that racism is bit more prevalent in Australia than it is in the US and non-white students are especially targeted. I'm sure the majority of people down under are nice but something to keep in mind.

Leaving the US for a medical education is always a risk, whether it's going to the Caribbean or Australia. Also to the OP, don't equate Carib MD programs with US DO programs. They are not interchangeable. A US DO will have a higher chance of matching into a residency than a Carib or UQ Ochsner grad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
4. I've never witnessed this. But some Ochsner students super-distance themselves away from the rest of the cohort (to the point of skipping as many classes as they can get away with) and then wonder why they have no other friends. Also I'd say more than half the class is non-white (huge Asian population in Australia) so any sort of racism wouldn't be tolerated.

4. I've never witnessed this. But some Ochsner students super-distance themselves away from the rest of the cohort (to the point of skipping as many classes as they can get away with) and then wonder why they have no other friends. Also I'd say more than half the class is non-white (huge Asian population in Australia) so any sort of racism wouldn't be tolerated.

I found (4) to be absolutely true. A lot of the Australian students are passive-aggressive and won't say it to your face but behind closed doors/on Facebook they talk a lot of **** about the international students. Many flat-out don't want any of the internationals to receive internship, and would want nothing more than for internationals to essentially fund their domestic tuition and then get the hell out the instant they graduate.

There is absolutely no need to go to lectures, it has nothing to do with 'distancing yourself from others'. It is about making the most efficient use of your time

I just meant they don't get to know the rest of the cohort since they never meet them. I don't care how anyone wants to study. I hate sitting in lectures and avoid them at all costs. Lots more classes than just lectures though.

I found (4) to be absolutely true. A lot of the Australian students are passive-aggressive and won't say it to your face but behind closed doors/on Facebook they talk a lot of **** about the international students. Many flat-out don't want any of the internationals to receive internship, and would want nothing more than for internationals to essentially fund their domestic tuition and then get the hell out the instant they graduate.

Qldking why are you talking about yourself?

Why go to Oz?
1. It is beautiful, safe and cost of living is manageable. I did not say cheap, I said manageable.
2. It is very safe in terms of crime. I felt safe walking all around the city without fear of getting mugged or killed.
3. Very pedestrian friendly. I did not get a car until 2nd year, after getting a job as a phlebotomist making 30 bux an hour on weekends.
4. Education atmosphere was top notch. I felt supported by my instructors and classmates. More collaborative than competitive.
5. Cost of attendance I did not find to be more expensive than applying to an "out of state" program, to be honest. I am not sure what Univ of Florida or U of Texas SOM cost as an out of state student but I am sure it is within the ballpark (unless I am truly mistaken) of what it cost to go to UQ SOM
6. Enjoy the time in Australia, medical school was hard but manageable. Travelling around Australia and NZ is something that we all rave about.
7. Ochsner is awesome, nuff said. Faculty and admin staff truly are invested in their students and their success.

Reactions: 2 users
I never felt any more hostility in Australia than I felt anywhere else where I was the new kid on the block. Kill people with kindness and be a little self deprecating and you will find yourself accepted almost anywhere.

This is absolutely not true, they tell us to our face they want us to fund their domestic tuition

This is absolutely not true, they tell us to our face they want us to fund their domestic tuition
Is this a sarcastic comment or are the ozzies really hostile towards internationals/usa citizens?

I never felt any more hostility in Australia than I felt anywhere else where I was the new kid on the block. Kill people with kindness and be a little self deprecating and you will find yourself accepted almost anywhere.
I think this comment above describes the situation well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a sarcastic comment or are the ozzies really hostile towards internationals/usa citizens?

That comment was not sarcastic, but I don't think them wanting us to pay their tuition is a sign of hostility. They are very friendly over all.

That comment was not sarcastic, but I don't think them wanting us to pay their tuition is a sign of hostility. They are very friendly over all.
Makes sense. I figured most ozzie people are nice but just wanted to make sure. It's funny they say for us to pay their tuition...do they think internationals/americans are loaded? Lol.

The Australian government funds domestic places so although tuition is going to the medical school it's not directly funding domestic student tuition. Possibly these sorts of comments were meant as jokes or reassurance that international students are welcome?

Of course, in general they are fine, but make any mention of desiring internship, or, heavens forbid, one of the coveted training positions, and you'll send them into a fit so violent not even a horse shot of Olanzapine will do the trick.

I mean, wouldn't you be content and amicable with someone who is funding your incredibly cheap tuition and on top of it doesn't encroach upon your territory?

The Australian government funds domestic places so although tuition is going to the medical school it's not directly funding domestic student tuition. Possibly these sorts of comments were meant as jokes or reassurance that international students are welcome?

Hahahahahahahaha how do you think all the additional domestic students are being funded? Its all due to the explosion of international full fee paying students...otherwise those domestics wouldn't be in medical school. It's a classic chicken and egg scenario.

Makes sense. I figured most ozzie people are nice but just wanted to make sure. It's funny they say for us to pay their tuition...do they think internationals/americans are loaded? Lol.
I have consistently found that those who think Australians are hostile tend to fall into one of two camps: 1) they insulate themselves from Austalians, socially sticking with other int'l students and not committing to living in/amongst another country because they believe that they will be returning home; 2) they do not understand the Australian tradition of giving their friends crap. As someone said to me early on, "don't fret if an Australian pays you out, that's just a way of being friendly; you should only worry when they don't."

Our tuition hasn't reduced since UQ took the move to enrolling a lot of international students in MBBS, so yeah the comments about internationals funding our tuition is a joke (one I've made myself haha). The government supplements a large part of our tuition, and we pay the rest through deferred loans (although the amount we pay for our degree is considerably less than the internationals). UQ SOM charge international students a lot of money for the same reason UQ does most things - profit. They certainly don't do it for our benefit. It's pretty exploitative towards internationals, I agree. Although, selfishly, I'm really glad the Oschner cohort is around - most of the close friends I've made in med + my boyfriend are Oschner.

But I completely emphathise that the disparity in our fees may make some of the internationals resentful towards domestics + it's true that we tend to get our, er, 'knickers in a twist' when there is any talk of internationals having equal access to post graduation training pathways. I have, though, noticed that a lot of Oschner's really do tend to isolate themselves in homogenous American enclaves. On the one hand I understand this, they are in a foreign country and so it's a comfort thing... but it can sometimes come across as if they, well... just don't want to bother with us. Honestly though I have found them to be the minority. The majority of Americans have been really friendly.

Also what Pitman said about Australians paying people out as a way of being friendly is completely true :)

Our tuition hasn't reduced since UQ took the move to enrolling a lot of international students in MBBS, so yeah the comments about internationals funding our tuition is a joke (one I've made myself haha). The government supplements a large part of our tuition, and we pay the rest through deferred loans (although the amount we pay for our degree is considerably less than the internationals). UQ SOM charge international students a lot of money for the same reason UQ does most things - profit. They certainly don't do it for our benefit. It's pretty exploitative towards internationals, I agree. Although, selfishly, I'm really glad the Oschner cohort is around - most of the close friends I've made in med + my boyfriend are Oschner.

But I completely emphathise that the disparity in our fees may make some of the internationals resentful towards domestics + it's true that we tend to get our, er, 'knickers in a twist' when there is any talk of internationals having equal access to post graduation training pathways. I have, though, noticed that a lot of Oschner's really do tend to isolate themselves in homogenous American enclaves. On the one hand I understand this, they are in a foreign country and so it's a comfort thing... but it can sometimes come across as if they, well... just don't want to bother with us. Honestly though I have found them to be the minority. The majority of Americans have been really friendly.

Also what Pitman said about Australians paying people out as a way of being friendly is completely true :)

If every international student dropped out, not only would domestic funding drop/be impossible to sustain, but it would be impossible to continue to maintain the increase in domestic spots over the past few years. Simple economics. The current prime minister would love that, by the way, too. He would like nothing more than for the country to adopt a full scale American corporate model in which the govt profits off of education.

Last edited:
If every international student dropped out, not only would domestic funding drop/be impossible to sustain, but it would be impossible to continue to maintain the increase in domestic spots over the past few years. Simple economics. The current prime minister would love that, by the way, too. He would like nothing more than for the country to adopt a full scale American corporate model in which the govt profits off of education.

On a somewhat off topic note this is what the current gov't wants to happen (and will happen in a couple of years) in light of deregulation of domestic fees of upwards to $38k. Still, this is considerably less than what we have to pay (~$50k).

I haven't really found Australians to be hostile, but I do agree that Aussies like to say things that may come across as offensive to Americans. One of my best pals is Australians who said that Australia is the only place where you'll call your enemies 'mates' and friends 'c*%ts'.

One thing I do notice is that Aussies (at least in brisbane) tend to be a bit more forward if they want to get their point across which may also at times be taken the wrong way (this happened to me a couple of times), but in those cases I would now just reply while putting my foot down.

I have consistently found that those who think Australians are hostile tend to fall into one of two camps: 1) they insulate themselves from Austalians, socially sticking with other int'l students and not committing to living in/amongst another country because they believe that they will be returning home; 2) they do not understand the Australian tradition of giving their friends crap. As someone said to me early on, "don't fret if an Australian pays you out, that's just a way of being friendly; you should only worry when they don't."

It's not simply the tuition hike--it's also the fact he wants to implement a student loan system based on a model of interest rates similar to that of the US; the loan rate is the single most devastating aspect of the equation for any student, because it cripples you into a very narrow corner until you can manage to pay it off (often more than 20 years later); consequently the career and financial flexibility that Australian domestics are currently privileged to enjoy will effectively cease to exist.

I just got acceptated into UQ. I am an international student in Taiwan who got my undergrad and MS here in the US. Thus honestly, doing my residency in the US or Oz seems the same to me, but it seems rather alarming how difficult it is for International students to get their licence and work in Oz.

I understand that is hard to get into residencies in the US but they make it sound near impossible for international students to finish their training and do residency in Australia... Is the hostility due to the perception that it is much easier for foreign students to get into medical school in Australia than for domestic students? How true is that anyways?

I just got acceptated into UQ. I am an international student in Taiwan who got my undergrad and MS here in the US. Thus honestly, doing my residency in the US or Oz seems the same to me, but it seems rather alarming how difficult it is for International students to get their licence and work in Oz.

I understand that is hard to get into residencies in the US but they make it sound near impossible for international students to finish their training and do residency in Australia... Is the hostility due to the perception that it is much easier for foreign students to get into medical school in Australia than for domestic students? How true is that anyways?

Although I havent graduated yet, the statistics appear to show that most international students who wanted an internship in Australia were able to get one. However, the stats dont take into account for those international students who left the country, moved into different career choices, or decided to defer their internship years before the stats came out. The caveat, however you think about it, for those international students that do get an internship would have to work in a rural location for one year after doing their one year internship if they accepted a CMI. Even for those students who dont go for the CMI supported place, the only spots left for internships are rural anyway like rockhamptom or bundaberg. Thus, if you are an international the most likely spot you'll be getting is rural due to the priority group system. There are a few internationals who got to go to the city, but rare.

However, once you get an internship, you'll be considered on the same playing field as the domestic students. The even bigger issue, which affects everyone including domestics and internationals, is that the government hasn't increased the number of residency spots available. This is somewhat similar to the situation we are having in the States.

The other thing is That Australia loves accepting international students in tertiary education; its the number two way of how the country makes money right after coal mining. I never took the GAMSAT to know how difficult it is, but the requirement for MCAT does appear to be more flexible/easier (at least for UQ which all you needed was at least a 8/8/8 to get in) which may be because the school is more keen to accepting internationals for the money. Thats just my opinion though.

Last edited:
I guess now the question is, how are students ranked within the same priority group. I understand in the US the USMLE step 1 score is a huge deciding factor. Afterwards there are applications and interview I guess. Is it the same in Australia, just without taking the standarized test?

I guess now the question is, how are students ranked within the same priority group. I understand in the US the USMLE step 1 score is a huge deciding factor. Afterwards there are applications and interview I guess. Is it the same in Australia, just without taking the standarized test?

Not truly merit-based, at least not yet. The only 'merit' now consists of fit with hospital--interview, CV/resume, and what you have written down on your application.

Just be smart in your applications and do not expect to get into a big city hospital. If you apply broadly and are willing to accept internship in any locale you should be successful in obtaining internship.

The priority group for getting an internship spot goes:

1) Aus/NZ citizens and PR who graduate from Queensland Med Schools
2) Aus/Nz citizens and PR who are residents of Queensland but who did med school outside of Queensland
3) Aus/NZ citizens and PR who are not residents of Queensland and did med school outside of queensland
4) non Aus/nz citizens or PR who graduated from Queensland Med Schools.
5-7) so forth

As an international student with no PR and graduating from UQ, you would be considered priority 4.
Thats usually the reason why most of the spots in the city or other"attractive" places are first taken up before any international students can get an intern spots.

At the moment its not merit based and the strongest factor of getting an internship spot is your residency status-if you are a citizen or a PR.-in addition to the CV/interview. However i heard its all just random if you get a spot.

All in all, i would say its easier getting an internship spot in Australia than in the States; the hurdle being getting that residency status

The priority group for getting an internship spot goes:

1) Aus/NZ citizens and PR who graduate from Queensland Med Schools
2) Aus/Nz citizens and PR who are residents of Queensland but who did med school outside of Queensland
3) Aus/NZ citizens and PR who are not residents of Queensland and did med school outside of queensland
4) non Aus/nz citizens or PR who graduated from Queensland Med Schools.
5-7) so forth

As an international student with no PR and graduating from UQ, you would be considered priority 4.
Thats usually the reason why most of the spots in the city or other"attractive" places are first taken up before any international students can get an intern spots.

At the moment its not merit based and the strongest factor of getting an internship spot is your residency status-if you are a citizen or a PR.-in addition to the CV/interview. However i heard its all just random if you get a spot.

All in all, i would say its easier getting an internship spot in Australia than in the States; the hurdle being getting that residency status

So after internship you can freely apply for residency in Australia am I right? At that point do they distinguish between citizenship, residency and place of med school?

Ya after your internship you are in the same boat as everyone else given if you take your registrar test

Ok. You need to consider the timeline of such a process.

When you graduate medical school and secure an internship position you will be on a 457 visa that allows you to work temporarily in Australia. Upon completion of the intern year (in January) you will then, and only then, be eligible to apply for permanent residence (PR). This is important to consider since many colleges that offer registrar positions after PGY1 require you to be an Australian citizen or PR at the time of application/interview, which occurs late in your intern year, PRIOR to getting Australian PR. Thus, you will most likely, depending on the specific colleges' preference/policy, be required to complete another medical officer year in addition to your intern year (at minimum).

Ok. You need to consider the timeline of such a process.

When you graduate medical school and secure an internship position you will be on a 457 visa that allows you to work temporarily in Australia. Upon completion of the intern year (in January) you will then, and only then, be eligible to apply for permanent residence (PR). This is important to consider since many colleges that offer registrar positions after PGY1 require you to be an Australian citizen or PR at the time of application/interview, which occurs late in your intern year, PRIOR to getting Australian PR. Thus, you will most likely, depending on the specific colleges' preference/policy, be required to complete another medical officer year in addition to your intern year (at minimum).

SO there is a way to get a Australian PR after practicing after all. I've been reading stats on the AMSA (Australian Medical Student Association) site and they make it seem like that at the current rate things are going, most international students graduating will not get into an internship, especially in places such as Victoria, NSW or Queensland

SO there is a way to get a Australian PR after practicing after all. I've been reading stats on the AMSA (Australian Medical Student Association) site and they make it seem like that at the current rate things are going, most international students graduating will not get into an internship, especially in places such as Victoria, NSW or Queensland

You're talking about two different issues. The whole issue in the first place is internationals getting an internship, not residency per se. Internship happens after med school, whereas residency training happens after internship. The issue AMSA is addressing is the internship. The point I was assuming you were trying to make this entire time is that if you have a PR BEFORE practicing as an intern then you're pretty much guaranteed an internship spot.

Once you are an intern, you are likely to get a 457 VISA, which you will use to go through the process of getting a PR. The 457 is just a working visa that anyone working in Australia can get so it's not really anything special. However, what neurlite is saying is that if you apply for residency you'll need to get that PR prior to your application. You get the 457 during PGY1 but you'll need the PR before you apply, thus why you probably need to train an additional year prior to applying.

Ya after your internship you are in the same boat as everyone else given if you take your registrar test

I thought/heard getting internship is easy but international status works against you after 1st year intern when applying for residency.

You are saying the exact opposite of what I have heard.

I thought/heard getting internship is easy but international status works against you after 1st year intern when applying for residency.

You are saying the exact opposite of what I have heard.

Ya you heard it completely backwards. The whole issue with the aussie internship crisis is that there are simply more people applying then spots given. Internationals are given less priority than domestics; in other words, in general, internationals get spots that are left over after all domestics get one.

If an international does manage to get an intern spot, they are considered like any domestic student in getting residency spots provided they take care of their visa issues (I dont know first hand if this part is difficult but its defintiely easier getting a visa when you have a job then when you are just studying). Of course, the problem for everyone at this level for both domestics and internationals is that there people are afraid that there arent enough residency spots for the incoming intern class, which is similiar to what people in the States are experiencing.

Ya you heard it completely backwards. The whole issue with the aussie internship crisis is that there are simply more people applying then spots given. Internationals are given less priority than domestics; in other words, in general, internationals get spots that are left over after all domestics get one.

If an international does manage to get an intern spot, they are considered like any domestic student in getting residency spots provided they take care of their visa issues (I dont know first hand if this part is difficult but its defintiely easier getting a visa when you have a job then when you are just studying). Of course, the problem for everyone at this level for both domestics and internationals is that there people are afraid that there arent enough residency spots for the incoming intern class, which is similiar to what people in the States are experiencing.

There are no "interns" in the US (according to the ACGME). You enter into a dedicated training program right out of medical school. You apply competitively for a position in a given specialty.

You'll need to do at least 2-3 years of house officer "generalist" work in a hospital in Australia before you catch the eyes of specialty selection committees. You won't have you PR until around March/April of your PGY2 year, thus making you ineligible for many specialties when you think about applying during your PGY1 year.

There are no "interns" in the US (according to the ACGME). You enter into a dedicated training program right out of medical school. You apply competitively for a position in a given specialty.

You'll need to do at least 2-3 years of house officer "generalist" work in a hospital in Australia before you catch the eyes of specialty selection committees. You won't have you PR until around March/April of your PGY2 year, thus making you ineligible for many specialties when you think about applying during your PGY1 year.

I've actually always wondered, how do the PGY-2 entry specialities work. Do you apply for those specialities and then get accepted to them with a transitional year? I know there are people who do their transitional years at a different place than their derm residency for instance. How does this work exactly?

I talked to a UQ representative on the phone and she said that my chances would be better (after graduating from UQ) if I applied back in the US as an IMG for a residency than getting an internship position in Australia. Is it really that bad? From my understanding, only about 50% of IMGs get matched into residencies.

Also from the projections I red on the UQMS (University of Queensland Medical Society), they were saying that by 2015, there will be barely any spots left for international students graduating from Australians schools, internship wise.

Neither of this sounds good...

I talked to a UQ representative on the phone and she said that my chances would be better (after graduating from UQ) if I applied back in the US as an IMG for a residency than getting an internship position in Australia. Is it really that bad? From my understanding, only about 50% of IMGs get matched into residencies.

Also from the projections I red on the UQMS (University of Queensland Medical Society), they were saying that by 2015, there will be barely any spots left for international students graduating from Australians schools, internship wise.

So are we screwed?

So are we screwed?

No you'll likely get a commonwealth supported position which is like a pity internship because the schools want to continue to steal internationals' money.

Honestly, it will be in the best interest of domestic students for international students to not enter into Australia as people are starting to worry about the possibility that there may not be enough residency spots for everyone in the future. As others have been saying, those internationals that don't appear to have a spot in the beginning do end up eventually getting one albeit under the conditions including but not limited to a) internationals giving up searching for internships and headed back home b) decrease in number of interstate domestics accepting spots and c) the opening of CMI spots. Internationals were fortunate in the past of getting internship spots, but who knows exactly what may happen in the future. Usually something fortunate happens for internationals getting intern spots on the 11th hour.

Considering the difficulty of applying as an IMG back to the states, thus, I don't want make it sound like one way is easier than the other (because each system is just simply different from the other), it APPEARS getting a spot with the possibility of doing a residency you actually want to do in australia will be more likely than in the states (unless you get pretty extraordinary USMLE scores) on the basis of the "stigma factor" we get as IMGs

Last edited:
There will never be a shortage of internship spots for domestic students, and the trends back this up.

However, if CMI spots (the Commonwealth funded spots reserved for int'ls) don't continue, then int'ls will be without jobs. Politically, it appears they will continue, but then the question will be whether there will continue to be more spots than candidates wanting them.

The angst among domestic students is chiefly caused by their concern that they will have to compete with former int'ls for specialty training positions.