Why is it so hard to withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Svidrillion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is anyone else having a difficult time firing off those withdraw letters, even though you've pretty much decided. I know I have to do it, but shutting down those other avenues is heartwrenching.

Anybody else?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me, or is anyone else having a difficult time firing off those withdraw letters, even though you've pretty much decided. I know I have to do it, but shutting down those other avenues is heartwrenching.

Anybody else?

its nice to know you have choices...once you commit...youre stuck...its not as much fun to say i am going to___ as it is im trying to decide bt ___ and ___...

For me it was only hard because I was terrified something would go wrong with the school I had chosen, and then I'd be screwed.

Once I got confirmation that everything was in and fine, I went ahead and did it. Think about all the people on waitlists waiting for you to send that withdrawal letter. Think of the agony they're in - and then do the right thing and withdraw ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me it was only hard because I was terrified something would go wrong with the school I had chosen, and then I'd be screwed.

I think this really hit it for me: I fear that something may go wrong at the school I think I'll attend, and then I'll have no other options.

Once I got confirmation that everything was in and fine, I went ahead and did it. Think about all the people on waitlists waiting for you to send that withdrawal letter. Think of the agony they're in - and then do the right thing and withdraw ASAP.

I don't know that 13 days one way or the other's going to really matter. They might not even start offering replacement spots until after May 15th, anyway.

Think of the agony they're in - and then do the right thing and withdraw ASAP.

Uhh, major agony here!!! I'll love you forever if you are withdrawing from Davis! Honestly, I do see how it can be hard to withdraw-it is a life changing decision. You are one lucky duck to have a choice though. Congrats on your acceptances. I only wish we could say we were in your position :)

Think of the agony they're in - and then do the right thing and withdraw ASAP.

Uhh, major agony here!!! I'll love you forever if you are withdrawing from Davis! Honestly, I do see how it can be hard to withdraw-it is a life changing decision. You are one lucky duck to have a choice though. Congrats on your acceptances. I only wish we could say we were in your position :)

I think this really hit it for me: I fear that something may go wrong at the school I think I'll attend, and then I'll have no other options.

I don't know that 13 days one way or the other's going to really matter. They might not even start offering replacement spots until after May 15th, anyway.

what schools are you deciding between?

At this point probably not, I withdrew early last month which could have made a difference.

But also think about the poor secretaries who have to deal with dozens of withdraws right around May 15th - I bet they would appreciate a few coming in early so they get to go home before 8pm on the 15th. Just call the school you've chosen and make sure there is nothing else due by the 15th, once thats all set send the withdrawal letters.

Also, by withdrawing 2 wks early there is no concern of a letter not making it to them or not getting processed in time and the school you did choose getting pissy with you thinking you're still holding more than one acceptance on the 15th.

what schools are you deciding between?

Unfortunately, not WVU, Des Moines, or Wayne St.

I'll love you forever if you are withdrawing from Davis!

Nor Davis, sorry.

At this point probably not, I withdrew early last month which could have made a difference.

But also think about the poor secretaries who have to deal with dozens of withdraws right around May 15th - I bet they would appreciate a few coming in early so they get to go home before 8pm on the 15th. Just call the school you've chosen and make sure there is nothing else due by the 15th, once thats all set send the withdrawal letters.

Also, by withdrawing 2 wks early there is no concern of a letter not making it to them or not getting processed in time and the school you did choose getting pissy with you thinking you're still holding more than one acceptance on the 15th.

Why do you have to be so sensible? It's so hard to wallow in indecision when confronted with so much reason.

Yeah, me too. I don't know what I think will happen, but I think this whole process is so anxiety provoking that once we're accepted we try to find something new to worry about.

Why do you have to be so sensible? It's so hard to wallow in indecision when confronted with so much reason.

Haha. Sorry, I'll stop. Wallow away - there are really only so many good agonies like this that we get to enjoy in life. So on a purely visceral level its absolutely the thing to do.

does anyone else find the title "Why is it so hard to withdraw?" funny? :laugh:

Well, I opened this thread thinking the OP would be asking why we have to write a letter to withdraw, as opposed to calling or e-mailing, and I was all set to sarcastically reply, "yeah, it's so much work to write a 3-line letter, sign it, and drop it in the mail." It took someone else saying they found the title funny, however, for me to read it with a sexual connotation.:rolleyes: