Why is leadership looked for in medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PicardAndRoll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not interested in management, opening up my own clinic, being the head of some Oncology department, etc.

Not becoming a president of some club doesn't really mean I'm the opposite of a leader (i.e, I'm going to run in some corner and cry when push comes to shove with a patient's health in the real world).

I mean, I've tutored at an established institution for four years (before I even entered college) and I have a high position there because of experience, I have a position as a lead amongst the volunteers at the hospital that I volunteer at, I do a lot of research and give talks about my research, but that's about it with respect to leadership. I've TAed a graduate class I took as a freshman (it was Programming in Bioinformatics, I've been programming in Perl forever, been doing technical work with computers when I was like 11). I was a TA at 19 (took the class at 17, TAed 2 years later at 19. like I literally was the guy Master's students and even 2 PhD students had to e-mail to give them pointers on how to manipulate strings and arrays representing biological content and data)...so I guess one can make a stretch that I've been in some positions where I need to have some leadership roles, but I don't see the need for it to be honest.

I don't have that much time to join clubs and run as an officer, etc. However, when people hear me talk, a lot of people say I come off as leader-like because I have confidence in my voice/posture, etc. I literally had a guy ask me if I was in any leadership positions just because he said I sounded "assertive" asking a question in class.

I think I can come off as a leader during an interview, but I'm not trying to be the next Francis Collins, Ben Carson, or Dr. Q......

So why is leadership expected of me? I understand as a (hopefully) future medical professional, patients would look up to me for counseling and help, but I feel like personable enough, as well as knowledgeable enough is for the task. I don't feel like I need to have boatloads of charisma and testosterone to tell a guy what's wrong with his wife and what he needs to do at home after her hospital visit is done to mitigate it,

Members don't see this ad.

So I only read the first sentence because your post has a lot of words, but as a physician, you will often be leading a medical team composed of non-physicians and possibly physicians in training. So leadership is important in many ways, it's more than just running a practice or being head of a department.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't feel like I need to have boatloads of charisma and testosterone to tell a guy what's wrong with his wife and what he needs to do at home after her hospital visit is done to mitigate it.

That isn't how medical schools define leadership anyway.

Leadership means having responsibility for someone other than yourself and motivating others toward a common goal. Leadership can be demonstrated within service organizations, performing arts groups, sports teams, and fraternities/sororities. Organizing/supervising a group of student volunteers to work toward a common goal, directing a play, editing a newspaper, serving as the traveling secretary for singing group, leading a varsity team, or having a leadership role in a frat would be some examples. Student leaders are also tapped to serve on university committees or act as mentors to groups of underclassmen.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Leadership means having responsibility for someone other than yourself and motivating others toward a common goal. Leadership can be demonstrated within service organizations, performing arts groups, sports teams, and fraternities/sororities. Organizing/supervising a group of student volunteers to work toward a common goal, directing a play, editing a newspaper, serving as the traveling secretary for singing group, leading a varsity team, or having a leadership role in a frat would be some examples. Student leaders are also tapped to serve on university committees or act as mentors to groups of underclassmen.

Being responsible for other people's education (undergraduates and graduates), and the logistics of a hospital's volunteering core for 4 hours a week...is that enough if done for a couple of more years?

Reactions: 1 user
Being responsible for other people's education (undergraduates and graduates), and the logistics of a hospital's volunteering core for 4 hours a week...is that enough if done for a couple of more years?

My understanding is that medical schools want to see that you've done something in the long-term, and if that's what you are implying by your tutoring and volunteering, I would probably stick with it. That way, come admissions time, you will be able to elaborate on your experiences and talk about why you think they will have helped you in becoming a better future physicians.

Agree!

I don't have that much time to join clubs and run as an officer, etc.

Doesn't have to be a club--but it does have to be something you're interested or invested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Because the ability to lead says a lot about your ability to work with others. Modern medicine is practiced by teams of professionals. Pretty much anywhere you train in, you'll have to work with NPs, RNs, CNAs, PAs, pharmacists, podiatrists, physical therapists, social workers, not to mention of course all of the other physicians that you will have to work with in treating your patients. As a physician you will be expected to be the point person in the management of care for your patients. "Leadership" doesn't mean you have to be the president of a club, but rather experiences that show you can play nice with others and work towards something bigger. It also shows that you take the extra step to pursue your passions and not the type to sit on your butt and coast through school.

Because they're looking for something that sets some students away from most applicants and an easy way to throw the "most applicants" into the discard pile. it's frustrating, but you gotta deal with it if you want to achieve your goals.

You don't have to have a title to show that you are a leader. You can take charge and make changes in any organization you're involved with. Put yourself forward. Be the one to do stuff that others don't immediately jump to do.

Being a tutor can show your ability to weave people's cognition around ideas as well as your communication skills and a desire to help. If you are in an athletic club, keep up with it and get good enough to lead the occasional session.

Every field needs leaders, but part of being a leader is knowing when to follow someone else's guidance. In a good team, leadership and decision making flows throughout the group like π electrons through benzene. No one fights over command. Yield to those with more knowledge and skill, and when you're the one with those qualities, step in and make it work.

Reactions: 1 users
Because people look up to doctors, and you're you to give your patients both advice and instructions, as well as teach them. Thus, you want them to listen to you, right? Kinda helps in managing adult onset diabetes etc. We're not asking you to be a Deans or Senators.

I'm not interested in management, opening up my own clinic, being the head of some Oncology department, etc.

Not becoming a president of some club doesn't really mean I'm the opposite of a leader (i.e, I'm going to run in some corner and cry when push comes to shove with a patient's health in the real world).

I mean, I've tutored at an established institution for four years (before I even entered college) and I have a high position there because of experience, I have a position as a lead amongst the volunteers at the hospital that I volunteer at, I do a lot of research and give talks about my research, but that's about it with respect to leadership. I've TAed a graduate class I took as a freshman (it was Programming in Bioinformatics, I've been programming in Perl forever, been doing technical work with computers when I was like 11). I was a TA at 19 (took the class at 17, TAed 2 years later at 19. like I literally was the guy Master's students and even 2 PhD students had to e-mail to give them pointers on how to manipulate strings and arrays representing biological content and data)...so I guess one can make a stretch that I've been in some positions where I need to have some leadership roles, but I don't see the need for it to be honest.

I don't have that much time to join clubs and run as an officer, etc. However, when people hear me talk, a lot of people say I come off as leader-like because I have confidence in my voice/posture, etc. I literally had a guy ask me if I was in any leadership positions just because he said I sounded "assertive" asking a question in class.

I think I can come off as a leader during an interview, but I'm not trying to be the next Francis Collins, Ben Carson, or Dr. Q......

So why is leadership expected of me? I understand as a (hopefully) future medical professional, patients would look up to me for counseling and help, but I feel like personable enough, as well as knowledgeable enough is for the task. I don't feel like I need to have boatloads of charisma and testosterone to tell a guy what's wrong with his wife and what he needs to do at home after her hospital visit is done to mitigate it,