Why is OB reimbursement so low?

katizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, Obgyn is one of the most stressful physician jobs that isn't completely surgery. They have the sky-high malpractice premiums (they are right behind neurosurgery). They can be sued for the stupidest things and until the child is 18. Most practices have 5-7 physicians, so they are on call about once a week and many do a weekend call once a month. I can't even imagine the OBs that have a sole practice. Most OBs work 60-70 hours a week, also. So, why does an established obgyn (5-10 years in) only make around $218,610 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. They are responsible life into this earth, so don't they deserve more than that when Radiologist who have only one more year of residency and a way better lifestyle make double what they do?

Members don't see this ad.

I think Pre-Allo might be better for this. I don't think high schoolers can contribute much as to why they get paid what they do...

Ok. I am a sophmore in college, but everyone in pre-allo is talking about school and classes and I didn't think my rant/question would be barely glanced at and just get a ton of sarcastic answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason that OBs have a relatively low overall salary is the astronomical rate of malpractice insurance. In states like Florida, Nevada, WV, etc. the rates can be upwards of 200,000$ per year. This places a big cut on take home pay.

As far as actual reimbursements go, they are being cut across all specialities.

I don't know if this answers your question.

^this
Or it just depends in environment. Salaries vary from place to place, state to state.

So, Obgyn is one of the most stressful physician jobs that isn't completely surgery. They have the sky-high malpractice premiums (they are right behind neurosurgery). They can be sued for the stupidest things and until the child is 18. Most practices have 5-7 physicians, so they are on call about once a week and many do a weekend call once a month. I can't even imagine the OBs that have a sole practice. Most OBs work 60-70 hours a week, also. So, why does an established obgyn (5-10 years in) only make around $218,610 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. They are responsible life into this earth, so don't they deserve more than that when Radiologist who have only one more year of residency and a way better lifestyle make double what they do?

You're only as valuable as the government thinks you are. The government decides upon a payment scheme per procedure, and the insurers pretty much follow this payment schedule.

You're only as valuable as the government thinks you are. The government decides upon a payment scheme per procedure, and the insurers pretty much follow this payment schedule.

One of the reason I'm not liking the job of medicine. I know this happen to dental too but this is getting worse every few years for medicine.