Why is perio a specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muberrymolar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why is periodontics a specialty? why not teach DS flaps and crown lengthening or just make perio a 1 year gpr.
i really dont get why perio is a specialty,i am tired of perios trying to get into other's turf or wanting to practice general dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

because the rest of us have no interest in gum gardening

here we go again.....this is gonna be one funny thread

Members don't see this ad :)
why is periodontics a specialty? why not teach DS flaps and crown lengthening or just make perio a 1 year gpr.
i really dont get why perio is a specialty,i am tired of perios trying to get into other's turf or wanting to practice general dentistry.

"The history of periodontology as a specialty of dentistry has an extremely storied and distinguished course, beginning in the dawn of time when ingenous cavemen noticed that the teeth of sabertooth tigers, wooley mammoths, and cavewomen would form this adherent 'cement' around them. In their desire to not live in caves but instead have free standing stone houses, they wondered if they could harvest this 'cement' for mortar. Thus the field of periodontology was born. Noah, advanced the specialty when, in an attempt to secure the arc...."

sorry, that was all my cut-and-paste would transfer off of the AAP website. You can go there for the rest of the story.

As we've heard all this bull**** before, I motion to close.

aphistis???
No need to close it (yet). The perio guys ought to have a chance to respond if they want.

Besides, I catch enough grief for closing threads that *need* it. I don't need more for shutting one down that doesn't. ;)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... Ah ha. Ah ha. Ha ha ha ha. Ha ha. Moo hoo ha ha.

Sorry. I'm good now.

No need to close it (yet). The perio guys ought to have a chance to respond if they want.

Besides, I catch enough grief for closing threads that *need* it. I don't need more for shutting one down that doesn't. ;)

The perio guys "out to have a chance to respond"?! Wow, you've outdone yourself this time bill.

you can teach any dental student to raise a flap, but it takes skill to spend 3 hours doing it. that's why we need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.