why is the new ISIS guidelines more expensive than the previous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrandom2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is the 1st edition regular price $150($75 for members) and the second edition is $850 ($395 for members)

Does it come with a trained NP or CRNA to show you how it's properly done?(I kid, I kid. But seriously whats with the huge price difference?)

Members don't see this ad.

Cost of doing business, inflation, cpi, etc. we are all making and spending more these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if there is a way to get a discount/promo as a current pain fellow and ISIS member?

Thanks

Thanks- did 1 person have to lay out all the $ or could individuals in group pay directly when you did it?

Looking through my old PM's, it looks like 5 people (not 10) pledged payment to a user, he paid for and ordered all the books himself, and then we paid him after the books arrived and he sent them to us.

I organized the group buy last time for the book and the DVDs. I am not sure if they still offer the group buy deal.

I would be interested too if anyone decides to do this

Group rate option is listed online for the old book- not for new. I called and left a voicemail Friday. Will post when hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in for group buy if it happens!

anybody read the new book already? Is it a significant advance over ISIS 1st Edition, which I liked but found difficult to read?

No dice.... no discount....

Saw a copy of the book today it's about 2-3x as thick as the first edition... didn't have a chance look through it though

Hard cover, and probably 5x as long

hardcover, 700pages. flipped through it and it looks amazing, thorough with alot of images. but it has to be the biggest font size I have even seen in a textbook, at least 16pp.

i also ordered this lumbar vignettes bluray, which is a new product
https://spinalinjection.site-ym.com/store/view_product.asp?id=1708317

i used every last dime of my academic stipend before finishing residency and moving onto fellowship. with these prices, i really hope the money goes towards furthering our field rather than lining someone's pockets

These are not "guidelines" in the traditional sense of a systematic review of the literature with pre-defined acceptance/rejection criteria and a standardized grading scale for literature articles, with subsequent listing in the national guideline clearinghouse. These are more of a "interventional society committee best practices book" with heavy input by one individual. It has significant value but is not a "guideline" in the traditional sense. The author in the preface notes he is not using the term "guideline" in the sense that is generally recognized by governments and others, but is parsing the term to mean effectively a cookbook on how to technically perform procedures without deference to whether the procedures should be performed or not, and without consideration of whether payment will be rendered or not. Ergo, simply because it is in the book means neither that the procedure is appropriate for a given patient nor implies that there will be reimbursement.

It is an excellent treatise of one pain society's collective experience in the performance of injections. There is an underlying consistency, if not overt immutability of procedure performance over time, taught by disciples of the founders of the society that have adopted the procedures into their practice, then teach other disciples the same techniques with propagation through generations of pain physicians via educational courses and "guidelines" that are taken by some of these disciples as the standard of care. It is the latter point where caution must be taken. The "guidelines" are not standards of care nor have they engaged a comparative study of the several techniques of performance. They instead represent an excellent book for one technique of performance incorporated by generations of physicians taught the same techniques over and over throughout the years. It is also a very rich resource of anatomical detail for procedure performance with outstanding radiographic images and diagrams. The techniques included in courses have been largely driven by the "guidelines" and in the absence of "guidelines", several techniques that were previously taught were removed from the courses in the past. It has been argued that the society moved glacially slowly in teaching of techniques in the absence of publication of the techniques in "guidelines" that have only been published twice since the founding of the society two decades ago. There are both pros and cons to this approach but in general, this conservatism is proven to be warranted, as long as the pain physician recognizes the "guidelines" are a "societal committee best practices" book, and should not preclude other techniques from being employed when indicated.

haha, i know. i wonder who came up with that number. it arrived in a white paper sleeve (the kind you get when you buy blank dvds from office depot) with a sticker label. it looks as if someone made copies at home. the member price is around 270. havent looked at it yet

I was actually disappointed. They didn't add that much new procedural information, despite the book tripling in size. They mainly improved the references for supporting literature for the various previous techniques. I'm disappointed they didn't discuss thoracic/sacroiliac joint RF, sympathetic blocks, or vertebral augmentation.

They did add in a useful chapter on contralateral oblique CESI. (if you didn't already know how to do it).

Depending on your finances, it's useful if you're an upcoming fellow, fellow, or recent graduate. For those in practice for several years, it's not that useful.

It is quite pricey, so if you're a future or current fellow, a decent option B would be to buy the first ISIS edition for cheap, and just read the article in pain medicine on CLO CESI.

Not clear on what the member price is. Can somebody post this? I'm willing to comp a member, if the price is right. Private message me please.

Order the ISIS 2nd Edition Practice Guidelines in SOFTBOUND for $100+shipping!
clear1x1.gif
Order now and the book will ship to you by August 11th!
Click here to order online
Call: 415.457.4747 Email: [email protected](price: residents&fellows $100/members $200/non-members $400)
Attending the ISIS ASM next week? Pick up a copy while you’re there and save on shipping! Copyright © 2014 International Spine Intervention Society, All rights reserved.
This email was sent to [email protected] If you wish to no longer receive emails from us, you can remove yourself from the list by visiting: http://www.spinalinjection.org/members/EmailOptPreferences.aspx?id=12330513&[email protected]&h=aaf6f2e2b010d52863924ee248dfc7586b236a03 or by emailing [email protected]