Why is there a hang up about private practice vs. academic dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icecold

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't get what the big deal is. From reading the forum it seems it's not looked upon too favorably by programs if you say you want to do private practice. But come on, doesn't society need practicing general dermatologists that simply want to treat patients as much as institutions need academic dermatologists? It's like the assumption is that if you go private practice you are going to be doing botox all day long, but what about the guy that actually just wants to treat whichever patient walks through the door in a private setting? Are you shooting yourself in the foot if you state your intent is to treat patients in private practice during an interview or on a derm rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

Honesty is the best policy. Like you said, there's really nothing wrong with it. We need plenty of dermatologists out there treating patients.

But there also happens to be a real shortage of academic dermatologists furthering the field with research and evidence-based medicine. I think the hang up is that a great deal of us interview with the intention (true or not) of going into academic medicine. And a phenomenally high % flee to private practice upon finishing residency because the allure of > pay is just too much to turn down.

Icecold,
Part of the problem with answering that you want to go into private practice lies in the question-asker. Who are you interviewing with...? Academic Dermatologists. While they may have nothing against private practice, they obviously chose the academic setting for a reason - likely having to do with their personal values. So be careful with "honesty" - it may be the best policy, but it also may conflict with your interviewer's personal opinions! I'm not saying that is right or just, but it is the way it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get what the big deal is. From reading the forum it seems it's not looked upon too favorably by programs if you say you want to do private practice. But come on, doesn't society need practicing general dermatologists that simply want to treat patients as much as institutions need academic dermatologists? It's like the assumption is that if you go private practice you are going to be doing botox all day long, but what about the guy that actually just wants to treat whichever patient walks through the door in a private setting? Are you shooting yourself in the foot if you state your intent is to treat patients in private practice during an interview or on a derm rotation?
I think if residency programs in derm were run by private practice derms, I think it would not be such a big deal, but since PDs are academic big wigs, they obviously are biased towards academic derm and want to train future academic derms who will do research, bring in the grants money for the department and help with teaching.

Just an oppinion of an uninformed MS1

I think if residency programs in derm were run by private practice derms, I think it would not be such a big deal, but since PDs are academic big wigs, they obviously are biased towards academic derm and want to train future academic derms who will do research, bring in the grants money for the department and help with teaching.

Just an oppinion of an uninformed MS1

Not really, I went on a couple of interviews where they stressed that applicants looking for major research opportunities would not be a good fit.

There is variety out there among the different programs.

Honesty is the best policy. Like you said, there's really nothing wrong with it. We need plenty of dermatologists out there treating patients.

But there also happens to be a real shortage of academic dermatologists furthering the field with research and evidence-based medicine. I think the hang up is that a great deal of us interview with the intention (true or not) of going into academic medicine. And a phenomenally high % flee to private practice upon finishing residency because the allure of > pay is just too much to turn down.

The pay can be just as good doing academics although I'm sure this is just an anomaly = )

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...columbia_dermatology_professor_tops_nonp.html

(ps- dont use this as a reason to go into academics, do it because you actually like it!) :p

I've actually heard quite a few stories where academic jobs offered competitive enough reimbursement to lure people away from private practice.

Of course, this was pre-recession so I'm hardpressed to say what the outlook is at the moment.

Not really, I went on a couple of interviews where they stressed that applicants looking for major research opportunities would not be a good fit.

There is variety out there among the different programs.
really? I thought that most accredited programs are at major academic centers that are big on research?