Why is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im curious... why is it that CRNA school includes most of the med-school science courses while NP school doesnt? It seems a lot of schools fall under the school of medicine also. Is it the nature of anesthesia or the history of CRNA's for this maybe? I looked at Baylors program and its filled with more science classes than nurse theory and such. Do you guys think NP schools might begin incorporating more sciences in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

The lack of medical model/science courses has longggggggggg been a contention regarding NP education. What is it you are really asking? Are you considering CRNA vs NP school?

Im still undecided btw. med and nursing school. I was doing some research and found that out and it was odd to me. I am liking NP b/c I can switch specialties with ease with just short certifications to complete. Also,it is more of a guarantee for me to work in oncology or emergency medicine as an NP than if I became a doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
And their are TONS of PA ER and Oncology jobs. PA education also follows the Medical Model.

CRNA programs are way more heavy in the sciences. As far as flexibilty CRNA is the way to go. There are thousands of jobs out there with a ton of sceduling perks. You can have a job making 150k working 6am-3pm mon-fri if you want. Thats just reality.

PharmDr. said:
Im curious... why is it that CRNA school includes most of the med-school science courses while NP school doesnt?

That is just not a factual statement. CRNA schools take many med-school or med-school-like classes but not most. If they did, they would be longer than they are.

I'm not sure what your background is, but I can tell you that if you want to be a doctor, you really should go to medical school. There is no substitute. Universally, everyone I know that wanted to go to medical school but went to CRNA, NP, or PA school wound up unhappy (and my n=a bunch). Many of them wound up going to medical school years later. There is no shortage of NPs, PAs, CRNAs, or PTs in medical school and most will tell you the same thing.

To all the midlevels out there, before the flaming begins, I'm really not bashing you. I think there is a place in healthcare for all providers. I have met some really sharp midlevels. I'm also not denying that some of the programs are solid and can be difficult with some programs (CRNA and PA) even taking some classes with med students.

The fact remains that the training is different. Medical school is far more in depth and comprehensive than CRNA, NP, or PA school. It's ridiculous that this even gets debated on this forum.

Again, do some serious soul searching. If you want to be a physician, go to medical school. There are a lot of people in all phases of life and a multitude of backgrounds that have done it. If you really want to be a NP or CRNA, then go for it. They have a good gig. Just please do us a favor. If you have the desire to be a physician don't "settle" for something else. All that does is breed problems for everybody.

schutzhund said:
That is just not a factual statement. CRNA schools take many med-school or med-school-like classes but not most. If they did, they would be longer than they are.

I'm not sure what your background is, but I can tell you that if you want to be a doctor, you really should go to medical school. There is no substitute. Universally, everyone I know that wanted to go to medical school but went to CRNA, NP, or PA school wound up unhappy (and my n=a bunch). Many of them wound up going to medical school years later. There is no shortage of NPs, PAs, CRNAs, or PTs in medical school and most will tell you the same thing.

To all the midlevels out there, before the flaming begins, I'm really not bashing you. I think there is a place in healthcare for all providers. I have met some really sharp midlevels. I'm also not denying that some of the programs are solid and can be difficult with some programs (CRNA and PA) even taking some classes with med students.

The fact remains that the training is different. Medical school is far more in depth and comprehensive than CRNA, NP, or PA school. It's ridiculous that this even gets debated on this forum.

Again, do some serious soul searching. If you want to be a physician, go to medical school. There are a lot of people in all phases of life and a multitude of backgrounds that have done it. If you really want to be a NP or CRNA, then go for it. They have a good gig. Just please do us a favor. If you have the desire to be a physician don't "settle" for something else. All that does is breed problems for everybody.

Well said. I am in CRNA school, I am confident that I will be satisfied in the role and all that it entails. If it were a "shortcut" to my dream of being an MD, however, I could see it causing some serious cognitive dissonance. (Is that the right term? What is that, some kind of Freudianism? Maybe I should look it up.)
PharmDr.: if you are looking for more raw science in your education, from what I can tell, PA school clearly has the edge. I have friends in both NP and PA programs; the former is taking the notorious nursing theory courses while the latter is disecting anesthetized pigs.