Why medicine instead of a different health profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree, but just for the sake of argument the two aren't necessarily exclusive.

Indeed, perhaps I should have elaborated further. One could be a competent physician while motivated by self-seeking gains, but I believe this would eventually--if not immediately--detract from the quality of care given. From my perspective, the quality is just as important as the capacity or competency to give said care.

I would also add responsibility and advocacy to my original comment, in terms of why I want to be a physician.

Exposure to a lack of competency, responsibility, and advocacy in several doctors towards their patients are a few of the major factors I would not consider anything with a lesser pull.

Members don't see this ad.

The year before I applied, a friend of mine got asked this question, and she really couldn't come up with an appropriate response. She could not justify why she shouldn't just become a nurse instead. Result: rejected.

So I put in a line in my personal statement that nipped this question right in the bud. It was something about how being a doctor would put my resources (history of studying, hard work, science acumen, desire to help, etc) to their most efficient use to maximize the benefit for everybody. Result: accepted.

Why not a different health profession? Well I could, but it would be a less efficient use of what I bring to the table.

I think this is partially why shadowing is important. If you can shadow doctors in different settings (private practice, hospital etc) you will see what exactly the roles of these different professions are and how they work together.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prestige, Money, and hot gf/wife....I know you are all thinking this but afraid to say it

from what i've seen so far its the outgoing docs that land the hot ones. but if they are a doctor and nerdy, it still aint gonna happen. btw, i think it helps to drive a cool car. ;)

There are no surgeon nurses, just surgeon PAs. Sadly they're always harvesting the vein graft instead of cracking the chest and dissecting out the coronaries.

It is called a Registered Nurse First Assistant-RNFA.

I'm confused by this shorter attention span/lack of stamina. I don't know if that's really the point you are trying to make. If this is really the case for you, then I would suggest nursing over medicine. Less schooling. Less pressure. Less responsibility. When my shift is done it's done and I don't think about my patients. And even though I bust my butt during my shift, I have downtime. The intensivists, however, will follow with these patients over the course of their stay in the ICU. They have to concentrate a lot harder on what's going on with the patient bc it's their responsibility. And from what I can tell they are working a heck of a lot harder than I am. Unless I work back to back shifts, I don't have the same patients. So it's really only 12 hours and then I walk into a new set of pts. And I'm hardly checking in on my same patients over and over and over again feeling bored or tired by it. Usually, it's putting out one fire and then the next and then getting pulled into a room across the unit. I know something about all the patients on my unit and can't just stick to my two patients.

I think the point that you made towards the end is actually more important. You'd rather determine treatment options then give the actual treatment.

I do like the long-term aspect of care for sure, or at least the idea of it given that I'm the sort of person who likes following how things develop. I guess what I was trying to say is that I don't mind having to work with multiple patients and would actually prefer that. More stress? Sure, but I guess the output is that I get to see more different cases. So by "shorter attention span" I meant that.

But I get why "lack of stamina" would be a problem. I don't think I have no stamina, but I suppose that's something I'll have to explain more eloquently.

Thanks for feedback!

Reactions: 1 user
My cheeks may be sweet, but your witless misogyny sure as hell isn't.

It's 2015. Jokes onjectifying women are akin to jokes about race and sexual orientation. Funny only to the ignorant.
omg i can not take people. ppl cant even joke around anymore without being called sexist. like its annoying.

Reactions: 1 users
My cheeks may be sweet, but your witless misogyny sure as hell isn't.

It's 2015. Jokes onjectifying women are akin to jokes about race and sexual orientation. Funny only to the ignorant.
im still trying to figure out what was sexist or misogynist about that comment. Maybe im reading the wrong post