Why medicine?: Interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitownmedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been having a difficult time putting a response to this interview question into words. I feel like it's hard to explain why I am interested in medicine as it was not a rational decision I made, rather it was one that developed over time. How does everybody go about answering this question without sounding cliche?

Members don't see this ad.

Why medicine?

Because medicine rocks! :)

I have been having a difficult time putting a response to this interview question into words. I feel like it's hard to explain why I am interested in medicine as it was not a rational decision I made, rather it was one that developed over time. How does everybody go about answering this question without sounding cliche?

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say that over time, you gravitated to the field, and because of this, you sought experiences that could verify your affinity for medicine (i.e., shadowing, volunteering, etc.). Then, you can discuss how your different experiences in the medical field (you can give specific examples here, like those mentioned on your application) have contributed significantly to deepening your commitment to the field, what you learned from each experience, and how each impacted your choice to pursue medicine.

For some people, you don't necessarily have an "Aha!" moment where you realize medicine is right for you and you make the choice to pursue it. Instead, it can be a gradual process of self-realization.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I went with giving a short list.

I like medicine because (1) ____ , (2) ____ , (3) ____. With examples included. Wrapped it up in about 45 seconds.

Well if it was a rational decision over time then you should be able to explain how that worked for you.

It doesn't have to be a short one sentence explanation like "my grandmother died of cancer and then I knew I wanted to be an oncologist" or "I like science, I want to help people, and my parents are doctors." In fact, those are both horrible answers.

A longer term explanation of what originally drew you to the field, what other experiences you've had with other fields/jobs, what experiences you've had with medicine that confirmed its what you want in life and what about you makes you want to be a physician is what you should do. Discussing that you've considered how its going to affect the next several years of your life and the rest of your life (family etc.) is important too.

And having an answer is essential...if you cannot explain why you want to be a physician then that is a huge red flag (as it should be).

I honestly hate this question. It's appropriate in your PS or secondary, but not at an interview. It ranks with "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to come to xyz medical school?" I'm glad that it wasn't asked as frequently as I expected.

Reactions: 1 users
Well if it was a rational decision over time then you should be able to explain how that worked for you.

It doesn't have to be a short one sentence explanation like "my grandmother died of cancer and then I knew I wanted to be an oncologist" or "I like science, I want to help people, and my parents are doctors." In fact, those are both horrible answers.

A longer term explanation of what originally drew you to the field, what other experiences you've had with other fields/jobs, what experiences you've had with medicine that confirmed its what you want in life and what about you makes you want to be a physician is what you should do. Discussing that you've considered how its going to affect the next several years of your life and the rest of your life (family etc.) is important too.

And having an answer is essential...if you cannot explain why you want to be a physician then that is a huge red flag (as it should be).
Honestly, I couldn't have put it in better words. To the OP, you should answer this question by going point-by-point with all the clinical/relevant nonclinical experiences that eventually led you to believe that you want to be a physician. I think this is the easiest way to explain it as you can make it personal and have a lot more to talk about than just saying the generic 'helping people' and all.

That is the easiest question.

I would say because of a few reasons which include, i see it as a life-long learning experience, technology advancement in medicine which interests me, the compassion and gratitude a patient gives, statistics on physicians who are practicing=very little compared to overall population..and things along that line

I can't tell you how to answer this question, but I can tell you that your answer is very important. When I followed up with a medical school that rejected me post-interview, they told me that my answer to that question was inadequate.

What I think I said: BLAH BLAH--It's where I feel I can make the most difference in the world--BLAH BLAH--It's a vocation where I can personally help people--BLAH BLAH--I've always been stimulated by and excelled in biology. --> I was nervous, unprepared, and not really sure myself.

I know why medicine is right for me, and I know why I would succeed. That's not enough. You need to understand your motivation both for admission and for success in medical school. Do some soul searching. Do plenty of school searching. Figure out your motivation and put yourself in an institution which parallels your views.

Good luck,

C.J.

I also kind of cultivated my interest in medicine over time. And I very spontaneously switched to pre-med during my college orientation, so I just explain that. However some of the people on my school's pre-health committee advised me to be sure and demonstrate my passion for and experience with medicine in the interview if you aren't one of those people who knew they wanted to be a doctor since they got their first play stethoscope at age 3 (although I'm not certain those people actually exist?). Supposedly some of the old guard on my school's committee see anyone who hasn't been innately pre-med as having a waivering resolve to go into medicine. Just be honest, but don't undersell yourself and make it seem like you just kind of defaulted to medicine.

Another random tidbit - I don't think I've gotten this question very much on the interview trail actually... I've brought it up on my own a few times, but more often I've been asked what I would do if M.D. were "off the table".

*Sorry for the necro-bump, but I wanted to add to this*

I decided to pursue a career as a physician more through a means of deduction than anything else, and I don't think that's any less noble than someone who spontaneously knew they wanted to do medicine or gravitated straight to it. Throughout college I was always interested in the sciences, but more so on its application. After college I started looking at graduate school programs and what I realized is that I wasn't interesting in any application of those sciences, but their application towards the human body, us, our specie, and our civilization. At the time I was considering graduate school programs in medical chemistry, environmental chemistry, toxicology, epidemiology, etc and not just organic chemistry or zoology.

However, I realized that going that route would close the door to the experience that I believe I find most fulfilling: directly affecting change to those around me and caring for their health. I've had jobs that were rather asocial and it was not an experience I enjoyed. I want to be able to exchange tears, laughs, and happiness with others to the same extent that physicians do. Medicine allows me to apply the sciences to a degree that not many other sciences allow for. It has a strong humanitarian component, as it pertains to justice, but also morality. It involves so many aspects of our society.

This is kind of a dorky answer I think, but it is my own personal story of how I arrived at medicine. I was gritting my teeth trying to answer this question for interviews, and I finally came up with something that wasn't generic necessarily or a regurgitation of other comments. I'm not sure I will be able to vocalize this at interviews, but maybe some of this will get across. I like to be succinct.

Last edited: