why not MD/MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patel2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interviewing at a school in november that has an very good public health program that many students in med school take to do MD/mph. My application would definitely suggest that I would be a great MD/MPH candidate, in that I am a government major, have worked in DC thinkthanks and I have interests in health-care reform and community service. But I am not interested in getting the MPH, primarily because I don't want to pay an additional 50,000 and would rather just focus on the MD degree and read about public health stuff on the side. Is it okay to give this as an answer to why I did not apply to their md/mph program (if asked), when my application suggests I would be a good fit for it? Is it an "inconsistency" that I chose not too?

Members don't see this ad.

50k - count your self lucky, my MSPH cost 100k+ :eek:

IMO don't worry about the cost - worry about setting up your future, as a doctor you will pay off your loans easy. MPH degrees make you a better physician in the future because you understand the community level effects of medicine and health care. Not to mention, some schools let you focus on tropical medicine for your mph - which is just damn cool.

If you honestly don't want an MPH then just be honest with the committee, lying to make yourself "fit" what you think they want is never a good idea.

Last edited:
I say, just tell them that your passion doesn't lie in that aspect. I agree with you that there are many other doctors, who are just MD, and yet read daily newspapers for information in both health care and non-health care areas. It's all personal preference after getting MD.

I also think that if you are intent on getting MPH, you should be somewhat thinking seriously about not just reading about health care, but actually becoming involved in policy making. Obviously, not everyone is like that, and I could say the same thing about people who major in political science - not everyone turns out to work at politics. Some go to journalism, teach civics in high school, or completely different job.

I would stay off from saying "cost issue" though.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD/MPH = another years tuition of medical school. Individually doing each will be cheaper but will take you 2 years to accomplish the MPH. Overall I don't see any real gain in having a MPH.

I am interviewing at a school in november that has an very good public health program that many students in med school take to do MD/mph. My application would definitely suggest that I would be a great MD/MPH candidate, in that I am a government major, have worked in DC thinkthanks and I have interests in health-care reform and community service. But I am not interested in getting the MPH, primarily because I don't want to pay an additional 50,000 and would rather just focus on the MD degree and read about public health stuff on the side. Is it okay to give this as an answer to why I did not apply to their md/mph program (if asked), when my application suggests I would be a good fit for it? Is it an "inconsistency" that I chose not too?

I highly doubt your interviewer will ask a question like that. They have a limited amount of time to get to know you, and they're going to want to figure out why you want an MD - not why you're uninterested in an MPH. If you don't bring it up, it probably won't enter the conversation.

OP:

I understand where you're coming from. I have a lot of MPH-suggestive EC''s and research experience on my app. I think though that (1) most interviewers wouldn't ask you that (2) if they do, you can answer honestly and say that the MPH maaaay be something that you will consider later in your career, but you will like to focus on your MD at the moment, because the clinical aspect is what attracts you to the profession. You do not need to shoot down an MPH in order to explain why you do not want it.

cause it means more schooling and more time spent NOT practicing medicine and moving on with your life. At least that's how I see it.

You don't see it being useful in your future career.
You don't want to take a year off to do it.
If you want it later, you can do later, or combined with a fellowship.

I don't think the interviewer would judge you for not wanting to do one unless you're obviously not being honest with them.