Why not moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LICENSE4ALL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends !
can anybody tell me why some GPR program do not allow moon lighting?
we have just 3 calls /month, our timings are 8-4 , i have time during weekdays & saturday. why can not i work? what happens if u work without informing director? i am still not clear about reasons for refusing?
i understand medical doctors have many calls/month & it is hard to work. but why we dentist? pl. give me answer
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi friends !
can anybody tell me why some GPR program do not allow moon lighting?
we have just 3 calls /month, our timings are 8-4 , i have time during weekdays & saturday. why can not i work? what happens if u work without informing director? i am still not clear about reasons for refusing?
i understand medical doctors have many calls/month & it is hard to work. but why we dentist? pl. give me answer
thanks

Several reasons:
first legal
- as an employee you are under their insurance, even if you have your own, attorneys will go after deep pockets and try the hospital, even starting you were not working for them in moonlighting... cost them money
- risk of injury/infection
- many articles and laws on resident work hours for ALL residents.
- contracts - a residency is 24/7
second is educational
you may need time to study, review cases, dictate reports
on-call you may need to switch with fellow residents... most programs have full weekends on call.... may be hard to work every first weekend - too many switching

I have often asked myself the same question. It does not make much sense.

In two words, I call it "systematic oppression". In essence, the programs are saying that qualified dentists can work but just not as dentists. Bet they wouldn't have a problem if you started part-timing at Mcdonals.

rarm1 - if you will, please refute the following rebuttals to your reasoning.

1. Alternative insurance can be obtained to cover work as a dentist elsewhere.

2. Risk of injury/infection is pervasive in Healthcare. Whether you moonlight as a resident, or work in multiple offices you wear gloves, masks, and goggles and you are careful to prevent injury or the spread of infection.

3. Dental residents are simply not required 24/7. Many residencies are during normal business hours and require the resident to be on call rarely.

4. From a personal standpoint, I am a professional student. I have been working since the the 11th grade. Undergrad and Dental School hindered me not. I know when to work, when to study, how to plan ahead and request time off in advance of my academic requirements. To tell a 27 yo that he/she is not entrusted with the ability to schedule and organize their personal affairs is ludicrous.

Personally, if I can't moonlight, I cant attend a residency. Being able to moonlight is not a choice but a necessity to fullfil my financial obligations. I intend to pointedly ask directors if I can moonlight. Any residency that doesn't allow it, and all residencys in the State of New York are already out of the question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have often asked myself the same question. It does not make much sense.

In two words, I call it "systematic oppression". In essence, the programs are saying that qualified dentists can work but just not as dentists. Bet they wouldn't have a problem if you started part-timing at Mcdonals.

rarm1 - if you will, please refute the following rebuttals to your reasoning.

1. Alternative insurance can be obtained to cover work as a dentist elsewhere.

2. Risk of injury/infection is pervasive in Healthcare. Whether you moonlight as a resident, or work in multiple offices you wear gloves, masks, and goggles and you are careful to prevent injury or the spread of infection.

3. Dental residents are simply not required 24/7. Many residencies are during normal business hours and require the resident to be on call rarely.

4. From a personal standpoint, I am a professional student. I have been working since the the 11th grade. Undergrad and Dental School hindered me not. I know when to work, when to study, how to plan ahead and request time off in advance of my academic requirements. To tell a 27 yo that he/she is not entrusted with the ability to schedule and organize their personal affairs is ludicrous.

Personally, if I can't moonlight, I cant attend a residency. Being able to moonlight is not a choice but a necessity to fullfil my financial obligations. I intend to pointedly ask directors if I can moonlight. Any residency that doesn't allow it, and all residencys in the State of New York are already out of the question.

please refute the following rebuttals to your reasoning:
none needed, if the hospital legal department made its policy, we can do nothing about it.

. Alternative insurance can be obtained to cover work as a dentist elsewhere.
But according to attorneys - they will sue deep pockets and hospital does not want that - again not my idea.

again not my idea, but the policy of attorneys

That is the contract language - to be on call when needed, but no more that so many hours in a row, etc... especially in NY.... ALL HOURS WORKKED at residency or pvt job count

Again the attorneys make the policy.... each location is different....

you asked why - I mentioned some reasons - not that I agree with them.