why not to take HPSP scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

former military

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to give a little insight into being a military surgeon. I recently separated from the military after 11 years- 6 years in surgical training at a military medical center and 5 years of payback. I signed up as a 24 year old and luckily my training and specialty selection went reasonably well but I was very lucky in that regard. The most trouble I ever got into in the military was a speeding ticket on base.

1) You may not be allowed to train in your specialty of choice. Surgical specialties have limited spots and you as a medical student are in competition with physicians "in the field" who often have priority over students coming right out of school. I saw many try and fail to get into my specialty just because there were was "no need".

2) They do not have to let you do a fellowship. I was told I could do a fellowship after my surgical residency and that there was "need". I spent a couple thousand dollars getting a fellowship and was not allowed to do that fellowship at the last moment.

3) Moving around and seeing the world sounds great as an unmarried 26 year old. However, when your spouse has a career and the military wants to move you every 3 years just for the sake of it.... let your spouse try to succeed in their own business or their law firm. Military spouses apparently are supposed to be bank tellers and cashiers or not work historically.

4) You have no control over your practice. Say you have two ENT partners... two of them end their commitment but the military hospital does not get replacements either by oversight or not enough bodies.... suddenly you are on call every day and you are seeing many more patients than may be safe. Sending those patients to civilian practices costs the hospital money... overworking you does not cost any money. Hiring civilian ENTs to share call costs money....you taking continuous call does not.

5) Doesn't it seem grand to be a respected doctor? It did to me when I was a medical student. The problem with being a military physician is in the eyes of your command... you are an officer first not a doctor. You park in the same lots as the 18 year old medical techs, you get no special treatment or extra respect. My commanders where physical therapists and nurses which I guess is fine... but they don't understand much about what it is that I did on a daily basis.

6) In the real world, as a physician you are a revenue generator. In the military, you are a resource consumer. Nobody makes more money no matter how hard you work or if you don't do much at all. In fact, nobody makes more money no matter how hard anyone does or doesn't work. It migrates to the lowest common denominator. It is very frustrating as a hard working, motivated person to watch that every day. The doctors, techs, and nurses who stay in 20 years chasing the retirment rabbit learn this... try to ask these people to work to your standards and swim in the disappointment.

7) The old mentality is that it is cheaper to replace you than it is to retain you. This ultimately will not be true as people realize that when they sign up for military medicine they are assuring themselves of multiple deployments to the middle east. At present, that is still the mentality however.

8) It is not cost effective for many specialties to take the military scholarship. It might be for pediatrics or family practice but it is not for the medicine subspecialties, surgery, anesthesia, etc. They could triple your stipend and it still would not be cost effective.

9) It is cost effective to get out of the military after 14-17 years and forfeit retirement benefits of staying in 20 years for many specialties: GI, surgery, anesthesia, nephrology etc.

I actually had a decent time in the military. I was well-trained and worked with some great people and the military catchment patients are superb. HOWEVER.... I was lied to in the recruitment of my scholarship and given a lot of misinformation along the way.

hasta,

Members don't see this ad.

That's a great post. It was honest and straight forward with no sour grapes. I especially liked the part about being a "resource consumer". The pharmacy always seems to get irritated that you are consuming resources even though you are saving millions of dollars by preventing someone from getting a catastrophic illness.

Can you comment on how well you and your family did financially from the HPSP scholarship? I think if you are going to go to a pricey med school and don't have any money it could still be a good deal. Did you get to do anything exciting that you wouldn't have done as a civilian?

at least in the air force, the scholarship giving people aka AFIT... have realized that not all med schools cost the same. They have limited the number of high dollar med schools (e.g. Boston Univ, Tufts, Georgetown) that they will give out and like to find the better bargains... state schools attended by in state students....when I went to Univ Vermont it was 40K per year... an expensive one and at that time the stipend was about 9K so roughly 50K x 4= 200, 000. The military bought me for 5 years as a staff physician. Four of those years they paid me about 125-135K. The last year is a trick. To take the specialy bonus (ortho, nephrology, whatever... and the bonus$ varies from say 14-36K) you must stay past your commitment to Oct 1st. 3 more months of a difference in pay, plus jobs tend to hire in July when residencies graduate. Most people getting out of the military forgo their final years bonus- in my case 28K. Last year I made about 105, 000 dollars. My new job... in the same area started me at 284K. So for me, I lost over 100K per year or more in those five years. The original 200, 000 dollars would have been long paid off.

In terms of military adventures... most people find deploying to the middle east satisfying the first time (regardless of their political philosphies about occupying a country over the long term... despite missing their kids and spouse... after the first deployment it gets old real fast.... in the military you rarely see poor patients, hiv+ patients, or gay patients... good or bad depending on your perspective.
peace,

Members don't see this ad :)
IgD said:
That's a great post. It was honest and straight forward with no sour grapes. I especially liked the part about being a "resource consumer". The pharmacy always seems to get irritated that you are consuming resources even though you are saving millions of dollars by preventing someone from getting a catastrophic illness.

Can you comment on how well you and your family did financially from the HPSP scholarship? I think if you are going to go to a pricey med school and don't have any money it could still be a good deal. Did you get to do anything exciting that you wouldn't have done as a civilian?

The only difference between this fellow's post from mine and others is that he had a "decent" time.

Otherwise, everything else is the same.

Because he said he had a decent time....IGD says "great post":rolleyes:

militarymd said:
The only difference between this fellow's post from mine and others is that he had a "decent" time.

Otherwise, everything else is the same.

Because he said he had a decent time....IGD says "great post":rolleyes:

I doubt IgD recognized the fact that he/she was inadvertently complimenting us as well.

I appreciate this insight. I am starting my residency at an Army Hospital after spending the last 2 years- "In the field" as a GMO. I can already relate to so much of what is being stated. It is a little too early for me to decide whethere I am staying 20 years or not- there are some things that have to happen. I am going to do my residency and fellowship and serve my commitments and then decide. If I do a Cardiology fellowship or get my MBA, it will be really hard for me to stay in the Army when I have the potential to make so much more money in civilian hospitals or in Industry.

former military said:
9) It is cost effective to get out of the military after 14-17 years and forfeit retirement benefits of staying in 20 years for many specialties: GI, surgery, anesthesia, nephrology etc.

Can you explain this further? Staying an extra 3-6 yrs when you've already put in that much time would be worth it for the pension alone, no? If you retire as an O6 that pension will be very nice when you get older and Social Security no longer exists. It often is extremely hard to save that kind of money for retirement unless you are really thinking ahead, and pretty much impossible to do in 4 years.

If you make 150k annually in the military and get out at 15 years and make 250k , the poster is suggesting you might be able to pay your own retirement then staying in 20... I don't know what the pay difference would be.

pmoney said:
Can you explain this further? Staying an extra 3-6 yrs when you've already put in that much time would be worth it for the pension alone, no? If you retire as an O6 that pension will be very nice when you get older and Social Security no longer exists. It often is extremely hard to save that kind of money for retirement unless you are really thinking ahead, and pretty much impossible to do in 4 years.
Actually you would have to be an O6 for 3 years and then retire before the military will pay you at the O6 paygrade. High-three is what it's called. Some are able to get out before 3 years but have to fight to keep their current paygrade as their retirement paygrade.

Now I haven't done the math personally. I do know that I haven't met a physician who has done the math and decided to stay in. I know plenty of docs who've gotten out at 14-18 years. While I agree that on the surface you would think..."Why not stay the extra few years?"...the reasons are deeper than that. Simply put, the physicians I know/knew (23+) who were still practicing medicine got out. The ones who wanted management positions or were looking to become the next CEO of Kaiser would stay in and then retire and get that CEO position.

Great post former military. No different than anyone elses but it's refreshing to see that the xmilmed docs here aren't just being cynical or whatever adjective the uninitiated care to use.

former military said:
I wanted to give a little insight into being a military surgeon. I recently separated from the military after 11 years- 6 years in surgical training at a military medical center and 5 years of payback. I signed up as a 24 year old and luckily my training and specialty selection went reasonably well but I was very lucky in that regard. The most trouble I ever got into in the military was a speeding ticket on base.

1) You may not be allowed to train in your specialty of choice. Surgical specialties have limited spots and you as a medical student are in competition with physicians "in the field" who often have priority over students coming right out of school. I saw many try and fail to get into my specialty just because there were was "no need".

2) They do not have to let you do a fellowship. I was told I could do a fellowship after my surgical residency and that there was "need". I spent a couple thousand dollars getting a fellowship and was not allowed to do that fellowship at the last moment.

3) Moving around and seeing the world sounds great as an unmarried 26 year old. However, when your spouse has a career and the military wants to move you every 3 years just for the sake of it.... let your spouse try to succeed in their own business or their law firm. Military spouses apparently are supposed to be bank tellers and cashiers or not work historically.

4) You have no control over your practice. Say you have two ENT partners... two of them end their commitment but the military hospital does not get replacements either by oversight or not enough bodies.... suddenly you are on call every day and you are seeing many more patients than may be safe. Sending those patients to civilian practices costs the hospital money... overworking you does not cost any money. Hiring civilian ENTs to share call costs money....you taking continuous call does not.

5) Doesn't it seem grand to be a respected doctor? It did to me when I was a medical student. The problem with being a military physician is in the eyes of your command... you are an officer first not a doctor. You park in the same lots as the 18 year old medical techs, you get no special treatment or extra respect. My commanders where physical therapists and nurses which I guess is fine... but they don't understand much about what it is that I did on a daily basis.

6) In the real world, as a physician you are a revenue generator. In the military, you are a resource consumer. Nobody makes more money no matter how hard you work or if you don't do much at all. In fact, nobody makes more money no matter how hard anyone does or doesn't work. It migrates to the lowest common denominator. It is very frustrating as a hard working, motivated person to watch that every day. The doctors, techs, and nurses who stay in 20 years chasing the retirment rabbit learn this... try to ask these people to work to your standards and swim in the disappointment.

7) The old mentality is that it is cheaper to replace you than it is to retain you. This ultimately will not be true as people realize that when they sign up for military medicine they are assuring themselves of multiple deployments to the middle east. At present, that is still the mentality however.

8) It is not cost effective for many specialties to take the military scholarship. It might be for pediatrics or family practice but it is not for the medicine subspecialties, surgery, anesthesia, etc. They could triple your stipend and it still would not be cost effective.

I actually had a decent time in the military. I was well-trained and worked with some great people and the military catchment patients are superb. HOWEVER.... I was lied to in the recruitment of my scholarship and given a lot of misinformation along the way.

hasta,

sounds consistent with what the vast majority of PHYSICIANS have said about military medicine. The FLAWS of military medicine are numerous, beyond even the 9 mentioned above.

Former military,

I sent you a PM. Could you check your inbox and pm me back when you get a chance?

Thanks.

former military said:

hasta,

Brother,

that was a solid post. thanks for your insights. they ring so true. you clearly have been through the same system that was so frustrating to me. the best thing that could happen to the HPSP system is for it to go under, due to lack of interest or trust.

xTNS

I am currently paying back my time in the NAVY. A great tactic to keep you longer as a GMO/DMO/FS is to force you to take orders in which your PRD date exceeds your EAOS date.(i.e: you only have one option when billeted). If you are stationed overseas that pretty much means you will extend. And even if you are stationed CONUS, your CO or specialty leader could decide that you have to complete your whole tour; even when your HPSP commitment is done before the tour is over. Every single aspect of the NAVY HPSP is shrouded with deceit. Starting with the recruiter, then OIS and finally the GME, everything is full of ****. How can a program like this be called a good program?

JA_Perez said:
How can a program like this be called a good program?
Welllll...it's a good program because it gets you out of debt. Fudge a number here....exagerrate malpractice there........direct attention to this "civilian" problem in healthcare and an otherwise intelligent person has just been hoodwinked into signing a contract that will keep them locked in into a system they have little hope of changing....but they're debt free.

The program has the best of intentions but it is lacking in sooooo many ways. I just finished having someone extol to me the benefits of HPSP and why I'm wrong. Young man...just got accepted to med school. Guess he thinks since I'm a premed that I don't know anything about the military or anything about milmed. He was telling me all the great stuff you can do as a military physician. He was clueless....but he "won't have medical school debt". :rolleyes:

You can lead a horse to water.......what's funny is I'm pro-military. :laugh:

JA_Perez said:
I am currently paying back my time in the NAVY. A great tactic to keep you longer as a GMO/DMO/FS is to force you to take orders in which your PRD date exceeds your EAOS date.(i.e: you only have one option when billeted). If you are stationed overseas that pretty much means you will extend. And even if you are stationed CONUS, your CO or specialty leader could decide that you have to complete your whole tour; even when your HPSP commitment is done before the tour is over. Every single aspect of the NAVY HPSP is shrouded with deceit. Starting with the recruiter, then OIS and finally the GME, everything is full of ****. How can a program like this be called a good program?

You may want to consult with a lawyer if you find yourself in this situation. A colleague of mind had a similar situation and much to the displeasure of the military she was permitted to leave at her EAOS.

I just saw this thread, and I think its a very good one.

You seemed to have come away in much better emotional shape than I did. If you look at my earlier posts, (including some today), I was spitting bile and fire. There are people on this forum that will lead you down that path, and personally attack you instead of taking what you say for what it is.

I don't know how many times these stories have to be repeated for people to understand the extent of problems that exist in military medicine today, but keep them coming.

THanks

Galo