why nymc a major post bacc destination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

prlester

I go to nymc and notice we have about 40% post bacc, mostly from BU and another school. Is this school known to admit a lot of post bac? what percentage would one find at a normal school?

Members don't see this ad.

prlester said:
I go to nymc and notice we have about 40% post bacc, mostly from BU and another school. Is this school known to admit a lot of post bac? what percentage would one find at a normal school?

I don't think there's any quota anywhere. Adcoms look at the applicant pool and take the best they can get where there's a good fit. I'd be surprised if postbacs actually made up 40% of any med school class, and it's doubtful that that is an annual statistic if true. However it's possible some postbac program directors likely have better relations with certain deans than others, and are able to market their students more effectively at some places. Other deans may highly regard certain postbac programs based on prior matriculants' quality or success. It should also be noted that since NYMC is at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of competitiveness, it may just be a popular school for folks who rehabilitated their applications with a postbac but not to the point where they were competitive with higher ranked schools.

Law2Doc said:
I don't think there's any quota anywhere. Adcoms look at the applicant pool and take the best they can get where there's a good fit. I'd be surprised if postbacs actually made up 40% of any med school class, and it's doubtful that that is an annual statistic if true. However it's possible some postbac program directors likely have better relations with certain deans than others, and are able to market their students more effectively at some places. Other deans may highly regard certain postbac programs based on prior matriculants' quality or success. It should also be noted that since NYMC is at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of competitiveness, it may just be a popular school for folks who rehabilitated their applications with a postbac but not to the point where they were competitive with higher ranked schools.

what's the normal amount of these people. also, does the admissions level of a school reflect negatively on an applicant for residency? There are a lot of backwards/extra things at a school that makes it more difficult than admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
prlester said:
what's the normal amount of these people. also, does the admissions level of a school reflect negatively on an applicant for residency? There are a lot of backwards/extra things at a school that makes it more difficult than admissions.

I could guess at a typical level of postbacs (maybe 15%?), but have no real idea. I doubt schools with a lot of postbacs reflects negatively on an applicant for residency -- anecdotally I've heard that many schools' postbacs tend to do fine in the match. No idea what you mean by your last sentence.

Your syntax is strange to the point where your making only marginal sense. What's the point of your question and comments?

Law2Doc said:
It should also be noted that since NYMC is at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of competitiveness, it may just be a popular school for folks who rehabilitated their applications with a postbac but not to the point where they were competitive with higher ranked schools.

I resent this remark. NYMC is a good school (not a low end school). I went to NYMC and matched in dermatology, one of the most competitive residencies out there. Also, I matched at a prestigious residency program in California. NYMC definitely prepared me well for USMLE Step 1 and 2, which helped me match at a great program.

prlester said:
what's the normal amount of these [post-bac] people. also, does the admissions level of a school reflect negatively on an applicant for residency? There are a lot of backwards/extra things at a school that makes it more difficult than admissions.

Most residency programs ONLY look at your med school achievements (not your post-bac and undergrad grades). Therefore, doing a post-bac will not hurt your residency application.

nymc flower said:
I resent this remark. NYMC is a good school (not a low end school). I went to NYMC and matched in dermatology, one of the most competitive residencies out there. Also, I matched at a prestigious residency program in California. NYMC definitely prepared me well for USMLE Step 1 and 2, which helped me match at a great program.

My comment only was based on the rankings (such as US News research ranking) not the quality of the school or anything to do with matching. Schools not falling highly on that list (or on that list at all) in my vernacular are at the "less competitive" end of the spectrum, as opposed to the ones high on that list which I would describe as more competitive. On the pre allo board schools are frequently divided in to high tier/low tier based on this list. Has nothing to do with the actual quality of the school - but rankings do play a role in applicants' minds in terms of selection of schools. I certainly didn't say it (or any allo med school) wasn't a good school or that one couldn't do great from there (congrats).

LawDoc is usually very sensitive and well spoken. I am sure he only meant less competitive to get into when compared to other schools but still a great school none the less....