why only one vet school in tex?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ObstetricsMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas is the 2nd biggest state in america with plenty of towns that have more cows/horses than people and there is only one vet school. that makes it EXTREMELY hard to get accepted. The main reason i'm taking the premed route.

Members don't see this ad.

ca has only one school too. It is so inadequate considering the tons and tons of pre-vets in ca. Texas and ca should do something about it.

theres only 27 vet schools in the entire US Alone...making it statistically harder to get into vet school than med school. If there were only 27 med schools in the US, you'd bet there'd be some major competition. More than there is now! Georgia only has one vet school. The only state that has 2 vet schools I believe is Alabama. Georgia only has one vet school too. But you have higher chances of getting in if you are a state resident of the school you plan to get into. Auburn University for example accepts about 45% alabama residents, and 30% or so from Kentucky. States that don't have a Vet School usually have a contract with a Vet School elsewhere. Oh yea, BTW....Auburn University only accepts 10 people from 'at large' per class....

By the way...here's a link for all the Veterinary Schools and how competative each is:

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/Bio/PreHealth/Search/vet_frame.html

Members don't see this ad :)
owlmyste,

will u have my baby?

vetnurse, DVO (DVM's focus too much on numbers and dont look at animal shelter time)

It is my understanding that California has 2 vets schools.UC-Irvine and Western U a - new private school with provisional accreditation.

Originally posted by ny skindoc
It is my understanding that California has 2 vets schools.UC-Irvine and Western U a - new private school with provisional accreditation.

uc irvine? I thought only uc davis has the only one in ca. I have never heard of western U having a vet school. Might be wrong.

Originally posted by ny skindoc

Don't forget about AVMA-accredited schools outside the US. Royal Veterinary College (London, England), University of Glasgow (Scotland), University of Edinburgh (Scotland), Murdoch University (NZ or Australia? can't remember), and a few others. Check it out at www.avma.org under "education".

Some of these programs you apply directly through an intermediary (use google and search under "the atlantic bridge program") or directly through that country's system.

Odds of entrance? About the same as applying as an out-of-state student in the US. Some programs are very expensive, but some are cheaper due to fluctuation of the US dollar. Best deal? Depends. At least you do not have to take the foreign equivalency exams then regular national exams upon return stateside.

There are non-AVMA accredited schools that take Americans, but they are much MORE expensive (Ross University, St. George's U., University College Dublin) and you will be required to take additional exams to practice in the states.

loo

Owl, that was a great site, but I wonder why the University of Tennessee wasn't on the list???? :confused:

Originally posted by Vet2B
Owl, that was a great site, but I wonder why the University of Tennessee wasn't on the list???? :confused:

I thought it was. Oh Well. If you look at the poll that I posted in this forum you will see all the lists of the different vet schools in the USA... I have also added a link to each of the schools in that poll, and every link is valid because I checked each one myself.

Originally posted by OwlMyste
I thought it was. Oh Well. If you look at the poll that I posted in this forum you will see all the lists of the different vet schools in the USA... I have also added a link to each of the schools in that poll, and every link is valid because I checked each one myself.

It's pretty strange, it's included in the total number of schools, but there is not any data. The info is on UT's website, but I was too lazy to figure out percentages myself, lol

The new vet school is in California-it's part of Western University of Health Sciences- just opened this week and inducted their first class. So now there's two in California...There's been a lot of hoopla there surrounding it (I should know because I go to WesternU and that's all I've heard about for 3 1/2 years!) and everyone is excited because apparently Cali needs it.

whats the no. of matriculants in the starting class at western Kiki? A friend of mine is not sure whether she has a chance at western.