Why Osteopathic and not allopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied D.O. for several reasons...

1) Compared to the in-state MD schools where I would have been competitive, I felt that my in-state DO program was a much better fit for me (beautiful campus, more learning style options, small college town)...
2) The specialties I am potentially interested in pursuing are very DO friendly so I am not concerned about any MD/DO biases working against me... I am not likely to fall in love with neurosurgery while on clerkships.
3) I don't buy into "Osteopathic Philosophy" but I do think that there are some instances where OMM can be useful and I am interested in learning more about it.

I went with where I was comfortable, not with what degree was awarded on graduation day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I went DO for a couple reasons. One being that I live in IN and IU is the only other school other than MUCOM. I more than likely would have been competitive with my stats for IU but at the time (it still may be) IU was the largest med school in the country and had heard from friends who went there that they were treated like a number. I wasn't a fan of that idea so chose to go to go to Marian because I was familiar with the school and wanted to stay in state.

I think there's something to the DO philosophy but I don't know how much really translates to the real world. Maybe if you open an OMM clinic? I start in August so I'll know more then.

I'm an Indiana resident applying to both IU and MUCOM this summer. I'd be interested in your input this fall

The harder question to answer is: Why allopathic and not osteopathic?

That's a very, very hard question to answer when you apply to MD schools. "Well, I don't really believe in the holistic philosophy...." haha!

No one will ask an applicant this kind of question, MDs in the medical profession are equivalent of the blue sky.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one will ask an applicant this kind of question, MDs in the medical profession are equivalent of the blue sky.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but i agree - as funny a thought it would be to see how an applicant would respond, no MD school would ask. Objectively speaking, MDs significantly outnumber DOs in applicants, matriculants, graduates, and practitioners.

DOs: 30 schools, 6700 incoming M1s, 63000 current licensed DOs.
MDs: 141 schools, 21000 incoming M1s, 812000 current licensed MDs.
However, theres been a huge growth of interest in DOs recently (http://www.aacom.org/data/Pages/default.aspx), and theres no doubt that some DO programs outshine some of the less-funded MD programs.

When I had to make a decision, it strictly came down to $$ and location, hence I chose MD. I would have gone DO with the same enthusiasm.

If one day I could become an adcom at an MD school, I would ask it just for giggles.

Reactions: 1 users
The question is in the title of this thread. Why did you choose osteopathic over allopathic? Did the different philosophy towards medicine interest you? I want some help distinguishing between these two different areas of medicine.

So, why did you choose osteo and what makes it so different from allo? That is my main question here. Also, did any of you apply to osteopathic schools as a back-up plan?

Thanks.

Because attending DO school meant that I wouldn't have to wait to start med school. I did well on the MCAT (32Q) but I had a relatively stinky GPA, and a post-bacc program seemed like it would take forever with uncertain results. In retrospect, I was an impatient kid.

I am happy to be a DO now, because I like that I learned manipulation and appreciate that OMT education focused on the autonomic nervous system and the inter-relation of form and function. I also think that I often approach patients a bit more holistically, but to be honest, I know quite a few MDs that approach patients in a similar manner.

What I refuse to do is perpetuate that DOs are somehow better or that our training is fundamentally different. We aren't, and it isn't, but occasionally we can offer a different flavor of the very same medical standard of care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Because attending DO school meant that I wouldn't have to wait to start med school. I did well on the MCAT (32Q) but I had a relatively stinky GPA, and a post-bacc program seemed like it would take forever with uncertain results. In retrospect, I was an impatient kid.

I am happy to be a DO now, because I like that I learned manipulation and appreciate that OMT education focused on the autonomic nervous system and the inter-relation of form and function. I also think that I often approach patients a bit more holistically, but to be honest, I know quite a few MDs that approach patients in a similar manner.

What I refuse to do is perpetuate that DOs are somehow better or that our training is fundamentally different. We aren't, and it isn't, but occasionally we can offer a different flavor of the very same medical standard of care.

This is the main reason people go to DO schools, getting into an MD school is much harder. DO schools tend to look past the numbers, and at the end of the day we get an opportunity to become a doctor. There are some people I know still hung up on the title who go overseas for medical school.

Wherever you go to DO school, chances are you will have running water and electricity. I do not think I could stand the stress of life in a third world or unfamiliar country and the stress of medical school at the same time.

Its like setting for a Hyundai, even though you want a Ferrari, but you just cannot afford that Ferrari.

This is the main reason people go to DO schools, getting into an MD school is much harder. DO schools tend to look past the numbers, and at the end of the day we get an opportunity to become a doctor. There are some people I know still hung up on the title who go overseas for medical school.

Wherever you go to DO school, chances are you will have running water and electricity. I do not think I could stand the stress of life in a third world or unfamiliar country and the stress of medical school at the same time.

Its like setting for a Hyundai, even though you want a Ferrari, but you just cannot afford that Ferrari.

I agree with all of this except the car analogy based solely on the fact that attending most DO schools actually DOES cost that amount of a Ferrari haha, at least compared to most state MD schools which is more around the cost of a Corvette or a Mercedes.

But I get what you are saying, just messing with you haha

Not sure exactly what you mean, but i agree - as funny a thought it would be to see how an applicant would respond, no MD school would ask. Objectively speaking, MDs significantly outnumber DOs in applicants, matriculants, graduates, and practitioners.

DOs: 30 schools, 6700 incoming M1s, 63000 current licensed DOs.
MDs: 141 schools, 21000 incoming M1s, 812000 current licensed MDs.
However, theres been a huge growth of interest in DOs recently (http://www.aacom.org/data/Pages/default.aspx), and theres no doubt that some DO programs outshine some of the less-funded MD programs.

When I had to make a decision, it strictly came down to $$ and location, hence I chose MD. I would have gone DO with the same enthusiasm.

I think you would eat your words if you had to take so much time studying OMM. Comparing bottom tier MD schools and top DO schools is not the best comparison.

I think you would eat your words if you had to take so much time studying OMM. Comparing bottom tier MD schools and top DO schools is not the best comparison.

What's your problem? Some of the DO schools are a bit OMM heavy, but it really isn't that bad anywhere ... and it's a pretty easy course conceptually.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldnt think its fair to compare top MD to top DO either? There basically cant be really any comparisons. You are comparing 100 years old (for the top DOs) vs 250 years old for some of the top MD schools. Who the heck knows where these schools could be in 150 years. Heck for all we know, MD could disappear and DO could be the gold standard. Look at how much has changed in medicine even in the past 50 years let alone 150.

And thats just bringing up the broad generalities of medicine, this does not even bring into account the type of alumni base that you can establish in 100+ years.

You know, true, I've heard mixed views from COM friends... OMM = bull**** to OMM = worsh!p. Can't speak for the would-beens, but as an athlete and optimist, I was pretty interested.

And I was strictly comparing $$ of DO/MDs. There are some MD programs that, mostly due to funding, have run into some accreditation issues. Some DO programs have been around for 100+ years and have yet to have any issues.

What's your problem? Some of the DO schools are a bit OMM heavy, but it really isn't that bad anywhere ... and it's a pretty easy course conceptually.

Some schools take it very seriously and others see it very lightly. A lot of OMM has similarities to Chiropractic treatment, this is one of the reasons I do not care for OMM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt think its fair to compare top MD to top DO either? There basically cant be really any comparisons. You are comparing 100 years old (for the top DOs) vs 250 years old for some of the top MD schools. Who the heck knows where these schools could be in 150 years. Heck for all we know, MD could disappear and DO could be the gold standard. Look at how much has changed in medicine even in the past 50 years let alone 150.

And thats just bringing up the broad generalities of medicine, this does not even bring into account the type of alumni base that you can establish in 100+ years.

MD is not going anywhere, the NIH will make sure of that, the big research schools continue to get $$$, who knows what the world will be like 100 years from now, but my wager is money will talk in the 22nd Century just like it does today. You do not read much about any ground breaking research at DO schools but we always hear about it at MD schools.

Some schools take it very seriously and others see it very lightly. A lot of OMM has similarities to Chiropractic treatment, this is one of the reasons I do not care for OMM.

Do you happen to know what schools are very serious about OMM? I heard CCOM is pretty light on OMM.

Did you not know that you had to take OMM before you started your DO school?? I could understand your frustration if your DO school misled you into thinking that OMM wasn't going to be a big thing. I don't have an opinion towards OMM yet but even if I hate it I won't be bitter at my school for it since I chose to attend a DO school. It pretty much comes with the package.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you happen to know what schools are very serious about OMM? I heard CCOM is pretty light on OMM.

The closer the school to a major city, the lighter the OMM. PCOM, CCOM both are light on OMT. I was 90% percentile plus on every level of the COMLEX for OMM despite the light training, so no worries.

The closer the school to a major city, the lighter the OMM. PCOM, CCOM both are light on OMT. I was 90% percentile plus on every level of the COMLEX for OMM despite the light training, so no worries.

Why is that?

My OPINION would be that it's because these schools are more mainstream due to proximity to MD institutions. But who knows :shrug:

Oh, I thought maybe it was because city schools place less emphasis on rural primary care of which is bigger on OMM.

there was a member who used to post here often (willen). He went to PCOM, never seemed too fond of the school...and a major complaint of his was their OMM department, apparently.

I think that if the amount of OMM at PCOM was too much for you, you shouldn't be a DO. We had a very reasonable amount of OMT. I know that this is the majority view of that institution.

there was a member who used to post here often (willen). He went to PCOM, never seemed too fond of the school...and a major complaint of his was their OMM department, apparently.

He didn't like it because the school's OMM department nearly failed half his class with bs exams. Likewise he generally thought OMM was pseudoscience and that it took time away from his learning of real science and things he felt were more important.
I mean I can sympathize. When I was an undergrad and being forced to take research methods courses in behavioral neurobiology I was legitimately done and hated it. Like teach me physiology, don't bore me with the logistics of how to get my mouse to pull a lever and do cocaine. ( I don't like comparative bio and neuro ethology honestly, I only want to do imaging and biopsych research at tops).

Same reason most apply to DO. I Didn't have the application to apply MD schools (3.66 s/c 27 MCAT @ 9,9,9). As much as we try to sugar coat it, that's the reason most of us are going DO. There are some exceptions, but I think they are a minority.

I loved the DO school I interviewed at and I think their interview day was even better than many of my MD interview days. The only thing is that the tuition was double the cost :(

You wouldn't answer this question like this in the interview.

Because my grades sucked. 3.2/3.0 I did okay on the mcat, but didn't kill myself studying because I knew it would take a ridiculous score to make up for those and I wasn't sure how feasible that was.

As to how I answered this question at my interview, I said, "I applied to medical school because I want to practice medicine, not because the letters I'll write after my name once I graduate. I don't care if I write xyz behind my name, so long as I get to practice medicine. There are multiple DO schools within a few hours of home for me and I applied to all of them."

Reasons I will only be applying to a DO school:

1) Grade replacement-Will seriously save my application
2) More lenient on MCAT
3) Want to go primary care, feel like OMT really can help

Reasons I will only be applying to a DO school:

1) Grade replacement-Will seriously save my application
2) More lenient on MCAT
3) Want to go primary care, feel like OMT really can help

Do you think this was a strong enough reason that you were able to write and talk about it during secondaries and during your interviews? This is basically my reasoning... Grade replacement completely changes my application and while I do not know too much about OMT, I am definitely open to going primary care (especially FM) and I think it would be cool to have the opportunity to have the choice of learning OMT (which I would later decide if I wanted to use in practice). I mean is that a solid enough reason?

Do you think this was a strong enough reason that you were able to write and talk about it during secondaries and during your interviews? This is basically my reasoning... Grade replacement completely changes my application and while I do not know too much about OMT, I am definitely open to going primary care (especially FM) and I think it would be cool to have the opportunity to have the choice of learning OMT (which I would later decide if I wanted to use in practice). I mean is that a solid enough reason?

I wouldn't mention the first two, but deff the third.

I would say something like "Wanted to be a doctor, looking into primary care and OMT seems very useful.

3.4/32, but i have a 5 in verbal, and I know even if i have to take MCAT another 20 more times, I will never get close to or above 10 cuz english is not my first language, DO school gave me a chance, they look at me holistically rather than just #'s, and now i have reached my goal = anesthesia resident, I am proud to be a DO

This gives me some hope..

I wouldn't mention the first two, but deff the third.

I would say something like "Wanted to be a doctor, looking into primary care and OMT seems very useful.
That's pretty much what I said. I also mentioned that I prefer a school where primary care was considered the norm rather than the exception. This seemed to be sufficient for the DO schools I interviewed at.

It doesn't matter too much which one you go to. Regardless, you're gonna be working hard. This is completely off point, but dont let medicine change you and turn you into a cold and dismissive person towards your patients. Ive been shadowing some of these physicians who are easily agitated with their patients because they are in a rush to get their work done and get ahead. They can be extremely rude and its very difficult to talk to them and have them give you insight into medicine

Does anyone think going osteopathic changed how others (outside of the medical profession) viewed you? Would they have viewed you differently if you went allopathic?

I am really not competetive for my state schools. As my handle indicates, i'm an older, returning with a rough GPA from my first foray into school. Even with excellent grades, over a lot of hours, a 32 MCAT, my MD application will likely not even be given a second look. The 6 years of my life prior to returning to school were devoted to horrifically underserved populations, which is what led me back to school to become a physician.
When I looked at out of state schools, carribean schools, and DO schools, there wasn't even a contest. Of course, all schools tout their mission to provide care for the underserved, but it was really only DO schools that had programs to that end, and some were even developed specifically for that purpose. Of course there are some MD schools that do this, but without grade replacement, I would not have been competitive there, and some would have equal or greater focus on research.
If I were to get an acceptance to an in state MD program, I'd go in a second, but only because of cost and location.

Does anyone think going osteopathic changed how others (outside of the medical profession) viewed you? Would they have viewed you differently if you went allopathic?

Speaking to several DOs that stigma only comes from the pre-medical field and rarely do they have to defend their ability to treat patients.

To the OP:

I applied to DO schools because I want to be a family physician/sports medicine physician. I shadowed at a DO's clinic and I briefly spoke to an orthopedic who was an MD. He told me that he wishes he had gone to a DO school specifically b/c of the OMT training they receive. He felt that would've greatly benefitted his practice by having that additional tool to treat his patient. That being said when I asked the DO i shadowed, he was a family practice and sports medicine physician, if OMT has helped him a lot,he replied saying that it certainly did and because of it he said he was better suited to treat musculoskeletal injuries. So that is why I chose DO over MD. My stats were on the lower side for MD schools, however, I probably would've tested my luck and see what happened because everyone knows the application process is random. I didn't and instead applied to strictly DO because of what I stated above. I never viewed DO as a backup after discovering it back in my junior year, but instead I prefer going to it over MD b/c of the training in omt and emphasis on primary care.

But then again Idc what ppl will think about me having a D.O. after my name rather than MD because in my mind I made the choice to be a DO because of my own personal career goals, not to satisfy anyone's desire. If having M.D after your name is really important to you, then I heavily consider taking that route, but if you do not care if you have MD or DO after your last name, then follow your heart and what you feel is right for you.

This is also a great article to read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/e...steopathic-branch-of-medicine-is-booming.html

Being a DO is only bad when applying to residency, especially surgical residencies. After that it doesn't matter too much.

Last edited:
I worked as a standardized patient and lab monitor at an osteopathic med school and then I became a masters student at an allopathic med school. I liked the environment, students, staff, better at the DO school. I am very interested in primary care, and I lack gunning competitiveness. My stats are good enough to get in to an MD program (I am guaranteed an interview at the allopathic school I'm studying at), but I would prefer a DO school.

My family physician is a DO; I've seen him since I transfered from my ped. I shadowed him and the other DO he worked with. I wanted to be educated in the philosophy of medicine that he expoused, and I thought I had a better shot of getting that at a DO school than an MD school. I have the scores to go Allo, granted my chances of acceptance would be lower so it would be more work, but I have much more experience with Osteopaths and I'm more comfortable with what I know.

No hate to Allos. I've had both good and bad experiences, which I'm sure is true of all people.

There is a reason why chiropractic treatment looks similar to a lot of the HVLA that we do
But I will leave the history lesson for another day
As a non trad I felt I fit better with the general non type A personality of my DO school vs the MD schools in the area
They were willing to look past my past and now I get to do what I love - win win :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

FWIW Betcha not many people know that James Foley's father is John W. Foley, DO.