Why people say COM'P'LEX??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StringBean

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering why so many people say/write COMPLEX instead of what it really is... COMLEX. It comes up so often that I need to know where it is these people are getting that.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

StringBean said:
I was just wondering why so many people say/write COMPLEX instead of what it really is... COMLEX. It comes up so often that I need to know where it is these people are getting that.

Any ideas?

Have you taken it? Probably not, which is why you dont get it. I hate to spell it out for you but, the COMLEX is such a poorly written test it makes it complex. I hope you get it now.

Some people actually think it is called the "COMPLEX" too (mostly the pre-med students). Believe me, that is a more than appropriate name for it...

stomper627 said:
Have you taken it? Probably not, which is why you dont get it. I hate to spell it out for you but, the COMLEX is such a poorly written test it makes it complex. I hope you get it now.

Yes, SMARTY, I have taken it :rolleyes: ... which is exactly why I was wondering why people call it that. And I do believe you are wrong in your reasoning... if you look at most of the posts where people call it the COMPLEX they are usually people who HAVE NOT taken it yet, as DOtobe stated. I haven't met ANYONE who has actually taken it that would call it the COMPLEX.

So before you jump to be so rude & preachy... ask some questions so you know who your talking to and where they're coming from.

~Bean

Members don't see this ad :)
Because as ive discovered med school draws a few "cry babies", and for whatever reason they are the most vocal.

The comlex was hard...wawawawa...med school is hard...wawawawa...
The aoa does nothing for us...wawawawa....

Sorry prob not the most appropriate place to vent, but i needed to get that out.

If you are talking about the comlex, youre right i havent taken it yet but when i do, i dont expect it to be a walk in the park. As far as my fellow students at my med school is concerned i would need 3 tons of cheese to go with all this wine... They go off on every test, and granted yes they are hard but you have to expect that. Sometimes, also there are questions that poorly written, but I've never taken a perfect test...and i believe they would be impossible to create.

Its just sometimes i feel people take everything that is going well for granted, and simply focus on the negative. Nothing wrong with a good vent now and then but it seems like its pretty constant.

Hey Cowboy... now I'm not at all meaning this to be rude... but the OMS thing is KILLING me.

OMSII signifies a DMD/DMS who is a PGY II in an Oral Maxilliofacial Surgical residency, not a second year osteopathic medical student. I know it's being suggested by some that osteopathic students use it, but it just doesn't make any sense, IMHO.

Off my soapbox...

~Bean

This is prime example, I agree that its sort of dumb, but who cares? Im using it more to prove a point than anything. OMS/MS they are letters people...I guess i just dont see the difference. PS there are alot of different things that have the same acronyms.

For example OMS could also mean:
organic mental syndrome
Organisation Mondiale de la Sant? (World Health Organization)
Office of Medical Services
Ect.

It may be just me but until i get a valid reason as to why i should not use it, then im going to keep it up. As i have already said, i think its more or less unnecessary to add the "O", but there seem to be too many osteopathic students on here who are so dead set against it for no other reason that I can see except to try and hide the fact that they go to an osteopathic school...

Ok im half kidding but you get my point.

Also, the irony in all this is that im complaining about complainers...come on, now that?s funny. :D

Cowboy DO said:
If you are talking about the comlex, youre right i havent taken it yet but when i do, i dont expect it to be a walk in the park. As far as my fellow students at my med school is concerned i would need 3 tons of cheese to go with all this wine... They go off on every test, and granted yes they are hard but you have to expect that. Sometimes, also there are questions that poorly written, but I've never taken a perfect test...and i believe they would be impossible to create.

Its just sometimes i feel people take everything that is going well for granted, and simply focus on the negative. Nothing wrong with a good vent now and then but it seems like its pretty constant.

I see a lot of this as well, but I also see a lot of things that disappoint me about my school/profession/osteopathy in general. This is not unique to osteopaths, but it is something that can still be discussed.

I have also noticed the use of COMPLEX. I always thought is was simply a typo. For example, MS Word will flag Comlex and suggest Complex, and depending on your search criteria a google search for comlex will sometimes suggest you use complex. I've also seen Complex used on residency web sites. Again, I think when people are compiling web pages they probably assume it's meant to be complex and simply make the change.

Anyone but Bush.

StringBean said:
Yes, SMARTY, I have taken it :rolleyes: ... which is exactly why I was wondering why people call it that. And I do believe you are wrong in your reasoning... if you look at most of the posts where people call it the COMPLEX they are usually people who HAVE NOT taken it yet, as DOtobe stated. I haven't met ANYONE who has actually taken it that would call it the COMPLEX.

So before you jump to be so rude & preachy... ask some questions so you know who your talking to and where they're coming from.

~Bean

Are we high strung? Or cannot take a joke. Hm....whatever. Anyway, I see plenty of writings as COMpLEX. These I would not take as typos or as premed students. Use that deductive reasoning and figure it out. Otherwise, who cares?

stomper627 said:
oh my god!!!! i totally agree. as a fourth year who is a fairly savvy test-taker and can compare both the comlex step I & II to the usmle step I & II, i give thumbs up to the usmle. now i understand that all exams are not easy and many have their flaws, but the comlex seems to pride themselves on euphamistic language and forcing the test-taker to make assumptions. the usmle, on the other hand, gives you all the pertinant information with which to make your decision and so one has a MUCH clearer picture of what's going on and the appropriate management. i think that sums it up nicely..... :)