why provide externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GGYY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are omfs programs required to accept externs? even tho there are great externs, i'm sure most externs(like me) get in the way of residents, foul things up, etc. so why do residencies still do it?

Members don't see this ad.

are omfs programs required to accept externs? even tho there are great externs, i'm sure most externs(like me) get in the way of residents, foul things up, etc. so why do residencies still do it?

Externships provide an opportunity for you to evaluate the OMFS program, and the program to assess possible future residents. There are some programs that allow externs to a lot, but there are others that will not even let you suction.

Externships provide an opportunity for you to evaluate the OMFS program, and the program to assess possible future residents. There are some programs that allow externs to a lot, but there are others that will not even let you suction.

Shabu2 How many externships did you do and how helpful were they during your interviews?

Every interview I have been on asked if I had done any externships. Externships are really where you get exposed to OMFS. The OMFS you get in dental school is nothing. I did a total of 5 externships for a total of 13weeks from the end of my second year to the start of my fourth year. Definitely helped on the interview trail.