Why the (excessive) emphasis on experimental science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tluedeke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need to be careful to honor my agreement on the MCAT, but I'm curious, why is there such a ridiculous overemphasis on experimental biology/biochem/chemistry? While I certainly agree those topics are important, it seems excessive to me, given how many other topics are critical in medicine.

What is reasoning for this? To be cynical, I'd offer than anyone who hasn't spent at least 5 years separating proteins or running gels should forgo any possibility of becoming a doctor. It seems odd, since not all of us plan on becoming pathologists.....

Members don't see this ad.

All medical knowledge is ultimately derived from scientific literature now a days. Doctors read journal articles for updates in their respective specialties. I like the direction the AAMC is going in tbh.

You make it sound like you prefer the old P/S with inclined planes and all other nonsense unrelated to medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
>> You make it sound like you prefer the old P/S with inclined planes and all other nonsense unrelated to medicine.

Not at all - I really like the approach on the new MCAT (with an exception of the manner in which they test psychology and sociology, although I like the inclusion of those topics), and had contempt for stupid crap like sliding blocks on the old exam. That said, I think the amount of experimentally-based material is disproportionate to the underlying biology, chemistry, and biochemistry fundamentals that form the basis for the typical health problems that most physicians would deal with.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
lol what's on the exam is far from excessive. It could be so, so much worse....
This is the MCAT in a nutshell. Everything they do, and I mean everything is a scaled down, simplified version of the science compared to what they could test and what many see in undergrad.

The new emphasis on the MCAT reflects the changing face of medicine. I am ~ 5 years removed from med school and even now, the education and integration of research, technology and medicine grows each year. The scope and scale of clinical research is huge and is getting bigger. Even physicians who do not go into research (most of them) need to be able to read understand, analyze and assimilate up to date research (clinical, surgical, pharmacological) throughout their career. Why is it all chem/bio/biochem? Because that is all most pre-meds have. You have not gone to med school, you have not had the extensive MD/DO level coursework in anatomy, physio, pathology, pharmacology, psychiatry, histology, etc.... They can only test you on what they know most student have had or should have seen in undergrad as they prepared for medical school admissions. This is limited to the basic sciences (Chem, Bio, Biochem etc..).

You are not a physician yet, heck even after you graduate you don't feel like one yet. The AAMC cannot test you on that high level medical knowledge. You may not see it now, but many of these skills/concepts they are testing you on WILL show up in med school. I had many times through MSI and MSII where I thought "Oh, that's why the AAMC cared if I knew X." It's not a perfect exam but the AAMC feels it's the best way to gauge your capability for handling the material in medical school.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think its excessive or inappropriate at all. This is much more like what a doctor does then just answering difficult questions about science topics.