Why the heck doesn't AMCAS verify the format of rec letters?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marcion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of y'all might remember my saga from last year of trying to get one of my rec letter writers to fix a missing letterhead:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...er-because-of-misinterpretation-help.1168628/

Well, it's happening again. I got an email from MCW saying one of my letters is missing a signature. This professor apparently managed to sign his letter last year, so IDK what changed there. He probably just forgot, but does anyone have any tips on on approaching him in such a way that he doesn't assume I'm a confidentiality breaker like the other prof did?

I really, really wish AMCAS would inform us if our letters weren't formatted correctly when they were accepted, we definitely pay them enough money to have them glance at each letter for 5 seconds. This would have been way easier to fix earlier before he went out of the office for the summer. Why on earth DON'T they inform us about this? They know most schools wants a letterhead and signature. I hate being in the dark like this, every aspect of my application except this one is under my control and I hate having anxiety about not being complete this month because SOMEONE ELSE can't follow instructions!

Members don't see this ad.

Just have him re-upload it to AMCAS with a signature. I ran into this problem as well and it cost me a few days which was annoying but I got it in. I'd love for AMCAS to verify as well.. but many schools seem to not care as I've only gotten an email from one school about the missing signature.

Some of y'all might remember my saga from last year of trying to get one of my rec letter writers to fix a missing letterhead:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...er-because-of-misinterpretation-help.1168628/

Well, it's happening again. I got an email from MCW saying one of my letters is missing a signature. This professor apparently managed to sign his letter last year, so IDK what changed there. He probably just forgot, but does anyone have any tips on on approaching him in such a way that he doesn't assume I'm a confidentiality breaker like the other prof did?

I really, really wish AMCAS would inform us if our letters weren't formatted correctly when they were accepted, we definitely pay them enough money to have them glance at each letter for 5 seconds. This would have been way easier to fix earlier before he went out of the office for the summer. Why on earth DON'T they inform us about this? They know most schools wants a letterhead and signature. I hate being in the dark like this, every aspect of my application except this one is under my control and I hate having anxiety about not being complete this month because SOMEONE ELSE can't follow instructions!
I know it doesn't help much now, but if you use Interfolio to collect your letters, you can actually call them to verify that all your letters have letterhead, signature and date.

AMCAS soley acts as a centralized letter service in the same way that Interfolio does and has no authority or empowerment to review them for the schools. The member colleges of AAMC/AMCAS have no major push or direction for a standardized letter format/content since the committee letter system has been slowly eroding for the past 15-20 years. The AAMC letter guidelines itself took several years of committee meetings to produce. I doubt its going to go any further than that

what makes you say committee letters are eroding?