Why we chose Neurology as a specialty! (For all you 3rd years decision-making!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Wanted this thread to be about why you decided to apply into neurology. Specifically:

1) List any other specialties you were seriously considering (and when you were considering them, if that is relevant)

2) What you liked about Neurology, when during your life you noticed this, and how you finally decided. This can be set up as a timeline if that is easiest.

3) Please keep it positive. Do not use this thread to complain about neurology.

* Disclaimer: Of course this thread will be biased. We are the ones who decided to go into neurology after all. However, I imagine other specialities have similar threads, and I'd encourage you to also look for those when making your decision. I really found that it helped to hear other people's decision-making process as I was sorting through my options.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Also seriously considered: peds neuro (during 1st year of medical school) and med/peds (during 2nd/3rd years)

2) My decision process:

MS 1 - Started out thinking I wanted to do peds neuro, did my half-day clinic with a pedi neurologist. Liked it a lot, but felt like I wanted more of the brain/anatomy stuff (I came from neuroscience). Pedi neurologist I worked with also did a lot of muscle-stuff, which may have colored the experience. Really wanted a specialty that allowed me to work with kids with autism and aphasia (random, I know). Wanted to do something with global health.

MS 2 - Everyone hated the neuro block at my school during 2nd year. I jumped on the bandwagon and decided memorizing neural pathways was no fun. Became curious about emergency medicine, requested my half-day clinic be with an ED doc. Felt like I didn't fit in that well with ED folks, also felt like the ED would make me seriously ADHD (which I can tend towards anyways). The ED felt chaotic in general, and I didn't like having to start the patient encounter with an angry patient who had already waited 4 hours for me (even though I only arrived a half hour ago). Wanted more long-term patient relationships.

MS3 (beginning) - Talked to a bunch of neurologists who thought I was crazy for wanting to do global health and neurology. All the folks doing global health at my school were ID people. So started thinking I should do med/peds and then ID, felt like neurology would be limiting myself. Declared myself med/peds and got myself a med/peds advisor.

MS3 (middle) - Did a neurology rotation. Started remembering why I love neuro so much, and remembered my before-medical-school self and what inspires me. Love the complexity of neurology patients (the psychosocial, anatomical, communication layers of complexity), and also noticed I really like neurologists.

I am NOT the stereotypical neurologist mind you (I'm female, interested in everything, pretty impatient). But I realized that the old-school-neurologists were people I deeply respected (the bow-tie-wearing uber-intellectual detail-oriented type), and the younger neurologists captured a more energetic and do-something-now crowd (probably as a result of the new drugs and interventions available). People I wanted to be like. And I liked the culture of neurology - less into pimping, an enormous respect for curiosity and true learning/understanding, and respectful of each other.

Pulled out an Oliver Sacks book, and got pumped about neurology again. Started researching global health and neurology and found out it most definitely is a thing (can read about that here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=987215). Decision made.

Anyone else want to share their process?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your post Thama!

Yes, when I was in an outpatient neurology rotation and witnessed a DBS-Parkinson's patient get their stimulator turned on, I almost fell out of my seat. Truly. Totally lost my cool. Debilitating tremors simply disappear, and the patient walks out - it is insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to put a damper on your excitement for neurology -but please do some research into the current state of the field in terms of viability in the new age of ObamaCare and severe Medicare cuts threatening the existence of private practice and the specialty itself. Academics are not in any way safe from these issues and you really need to talk to people outside of your medical school. These issues are real and are affecting practices and departments across the nation.

Thanks for the insight DD214. I totally agreed that cuts will affect all of us -- and clinically-focused physicians in particular -- perhaps sooner rather than later... This is a difficult issue and a very real one. With my link above, I am in no way saying that there aren't challenges facing this country re healthcare, coverage, and reimbursement.

Regardless of the shaky state of medicine in general, I foresee exciting advances in brain research in the coming decade re technology, medications, and understanding of disease pathology. As a future-neurologist, I am looking forward to these discoveries, and I think it is important to point out the excitement in neurosciences-research outside of the medical field.

Last edited:
Anyone else want to share their decision-process leading them to neurology?

These cuts are affecting us NOW. Many neurologists are looking at 30-50% cuts in their income this year. This is before ObamaCare takes effect which will likely result in another catastrophe. You may find that your excitement declines rapidly when you are employed and owned by a large hospital chain, taking call Q3 or 4 after residency and trying to pay back 6 figure student loans on a 5 figure salary.

Any chance you want to share what you DO like about neurology?

PM me if you want more specifics about what it is actually like to practice neurology in this brave new world of medicine.

The purpose of this thread is to share with others -- I can do all the talking to practitioners I want, but that doesn't spread the information. Consider one post on-topic of this thread (the title being "why we chose neurology"). If you don't have any positive comments about your current situation, maybe you could talk about why you decided to go into neurology in the first place? Please keep it positive, as there is plenty of negativity out there (in medicine in general as well as on SDN). Thank you!

DD- what you're negative about appears to be universal to all clinical specialties. Other than hand-wringing over not getting to practice medicine with the clinical independence of the 1960s and the income potential of the 1990s, what neurology-specific complaints do you have?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else want to share their decision-process leading them to neurology?

I realized early on that I did not have the mechanical aptitude to be any kind of a surgeon and I really did not want to listen to 400# guys yell at me in the internal medicine clinic because I prescribed them another diabetic medication because their A1c was 15 and they eat at McDonalds everyday. :laugh:

I'm still confused on the psych vs neuro issues. I just really, really like both and I can't seem to make the decision.

I love neuroanatomy. I love the intellectual aspects about neurology. Given that I'm also interested in research, neurology is slightly closer to my research interests because I'm really into decoding information coding/transfer and that is more doable with neurologic disease (epilepsy, motor..etc).

OTOH, nothing comes close to the physician-patient relationship in psychiatry. I love going over psychodynamics involved, and the reasoning in psychiatry is different than any other medical specialty. Clinically you can also do more for your patient than neurology. Lifestyle is better (and that's a huge thing for me). Matching for IMGs is a little easier, and I've managed to build research connections in psychiatry with a prominent psych researcher.

I'm also a bit scared how much bad mouthing Neuro is getting lately. From alarming statements on the AAN website to surveys that are constantly showing neurologists in the bottom half of the happiness scale (in contrast to psych).

If anyone has any input on this dilemma, I would greatly appreciate it.

So I ran into a neuro resident the other day who said,
"everyone wants our services but no one wants to pay us."
Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the pay cuts other than the predicted negative
outcome to outpatient clinics and possibly even academic departments who get money from EMGs.
However to say that the existence of the field is threatened and that 5 figure
salaries are on the horizon...I doubt it. As the baby boomers age,
neuro problems will require neurologists to do their "thang." That's nothing new.

We're not just talking strokes and dementias.
I feel like some of this is hyped up in the way that "crnas are taking over"
gas passing was blown out of proportion.

Look at shrinks. For years and years it was hard to get reimbursed
and so they churned out a cash only industry.
Years ago an ED doc told me neuro would become
extinct due to advances in imaging. Come on people.

I doubt this Obama stuff is going to be as scary as it is
predicted to be. When was the last time internists and family med
docs went bonkers with delight for this giant black box they step around
called neuro? primary care docs are inundated with
moving things along quickly. You really think they'll take over outpatient
neuro? If it didn't need to be a specialty than how and why did it come into existence?

It's an annoying situation,
but will no doubt change. Trust me, ED docs, internists, and FP's don't want to add
neuro to their bag of tricks. Take into account neurology is a very very broad field, hence why >70% enter fellowship...I doubt that an entire specialty can be punted to "primary care."

Last edited:
(double posted, sdn glitch)

"However to say that the existence of the field is threatened and that 5 figure
neuro problems will require neurologists to do their "thang." That's nothing new."

There is a serious disconnect between needing your services and being willing to pay for them. That comes from both the gov't and your patients. Both parties don't care if payments for services rendered don't even cover your overhead.

There is a serious disconnect between needing your services and being willing to pay for them. That comes from both the gov't and your patients. Both parties don't care if payments for services rendered don't even cover your overhead.

I see patients:
1) Pay $150 or greater to get their hair done (hmm, maybe a new profession to consider)
2) Greater than $100 for a tattoo
3) Over $40 for a piercing
4) I cannot imagine how much they spend on their iphones/ipads
5) Over $5 for a pack of cigarettes

Yet, they complain about a $9 copay on a medication.

This is the culture we have created in our country. People would rather pay money for un-necessary items than their own healthcare.

(Or people pay the money and their insurance company ends up wasting it on administrative costs...).

Years ago an ED doc told me neuro would become
extinct due to advances in imaging. Come on people.

So, whenever the MRI comes back normal, are the primary docs or ER docs going to tell the patient that they are faking? Have a conversion disorder?

No, they will just consult a neurologist

So, for the histrionic patient that has two pinpoint white matter spots on their MRI, are the primary docs or ER docs going to tell them that its very unlikely that they have MS, even after they googled it or learned that their fourth cousin had MS?

No, they will just consult neurology

Whenever a 20 year old comes into the ER with alterated mental status with an alcohol level high enough to drown a clydedale liver and are positive for cocaine on drug screen, are they going to tell the patient that they have an addiction problem and that was likely the cause of their time gap?

Whenever an opioid dependent fibromyalgia patient goes to their PCP for headaches and either fails or is allergic to every possible FDA and non-FDA approved therapy (except for opioids of course), are they going to treat the patient?

Nope, they will just consult neurology

Whenever an MS patient can't pee, wants a scooter, calls every three days because their pinky went numb and they demand a 50 gallon drum of IV methylprednisolone, are the ER docs and PCPs going to see them?

Whenever a patient with a seizure disorder has a seizure due to noncompliance, are the ER or primary docs going to sit down and have a heart to heart with the patient?

Neurology will not go away!!

We all said that cardiothoracic surgery would go away too as cardiologist became more savy with caths and percutaneous interventions. Well, they are still here and making more money than I will ever see.

Please disregard my previous invitation for PMs regarding the future of neurology practice. Apparently some med students know better than a Neurologist in private practice and cannot be satisfied until we show our clinic finances to them. I guess they need to know the make and model of the bus driving straight at them before getting out of the way. As they say, AMFYOYO.

"However to say that the existence of the field is threatened and that 5 figure
neuro problems will require neurologists to do their "thang." That's nothing new."

I fail to see the disconnect. If the demand is there, you have the upper hand.
The population is aging and is dependent on your services. Does everyone need
EMG's? No. However, as the financial backbone supporting entire
depts, I doubt the proposed pay slashes will survive. Who do you suppose will
replace the need the goes unfilled w/o outpatient neurologists?

Let's talk about why we decided to go into neurology!

Questions this thread aims to address (listed in the first post) include:

1) List any other specialties you were seriously considering (and when you were considering them, if that is relevant)

2) What you liked about Neurology, when during your life you noticed this, and how you finally decided. This can be set up as a timeline if that is easiest.

Thanks all.

Anyone has advice for Jorje286 regarding deciding between psych vs neuro? I have some thoughts, but wanted to hear from others. Both are great choices : )

Please disregard my previous invitation for PMs regarding the future of neurology practice. Apparently some med students know better than a Neurologist in private practice and cannot be satisfied until we show our clinic finances to them. I guess they need to know the make and model of the bus driving straight at them before getting out of the way. As they say, AMFYOYO.

Instead, we should be satisfied to make career decisions based on an anonymous poster screaming that the sky is falling without providing any tangible evidence whatsoever. Everyone knows that Medicare reimbursements are dropping, but no one knows how this will impact individual fields in the coming years.

The PMs that you would receive from this guy are worthless anyway. If you're curious, I'll just post what he sent me.

I'm the know-it-all medical student that ruined this vat of knowledge for everyone else. My bad, yall.

Let's talk about why we decided to go into neurology!

Questions this thread aims to address (listed in the first post) include:

Thanks all.

Good idea.

Anyone has advice for Jorje286 regarding deciding between psych vs neuro? I have some thoughts, but wanted to hear from others. Both are great choices : )

I liked neuro over psych because:

a) it is more related to the rest of medicine and you receive a fair amount of generalist training to be basically competent that you don't in psych

b) it has far more flexibility in terms of subspecialities- you can do everything from NCC/stroke to behavioral or sleep to hospitalist work. Lots of different practice settings, acuity levels, compensation levels, and patient types to choose from. Psych didn't appear to have nearly that level of variety to me.

c) I'm not a big fan of substance abusers and personality disorders, and while there are certainly plenty of those throughout medicine, psych seems to have entire units dedicated to them.

Instead, we should be satisfied to make career decisions based on an anonymous poster screaming that the sky is falling without providing any tangible evidence whatsoever. Everyone knows that Medicare reimbursements are dropping, but no one knows how this will impact individual fields in the coming years.

The PMs that you would receive from this guy are worthless anyway. If you're curious, I'll just post what he sent me.

I'm the know-it-all medical student that ruined this vat of knowledge for everyone else. My bad, yall.

Good idea.

Okay, look, we all see this "sky is falling" warning from DD214, but let us not disregard him but entertain his warnings for a moment.

The recent cuts were indeed received as a large spanking and frankly, my buttocks felt a sting or too due to this.

But here is the problem. We frankly are an under appreciated specialty. There is a shortage of us and trust me, whenever I was in the job hunt, I was highly sought after. Not because I was somebody special, but simply being a board certified neurologist is rare enough alone.

First off, I hate performing EMG!! Back in my military days, I had a technician do the NCV part and this was more cost effective and saved plenty of time. Also lead to more revenue because while he was performing and NCV, I could be seeing a new outpatient consult. But, hey, who has the money to hire their own technician? A registered technician gets paid more than a freaking RN!! Now that I am in private practice, I have to do these myself. I will admit, I dread performing NCVs on the legs of obese people and it is timely. I am not a genius, nor would I claim to be the world's smartest neurologist, but I am somewhat of a perfectionist. Thus, I will do nothing but a quality electrodiagnostic study and in this time, I would have seen at least two patients and made more money.

What this means to me is, EMG/NCV eventually being done at major centers (e.g. federal facilities, universities, rich doc offices) where they can afford a technician or pawn the study onto a fellow.

So, EMG/NCV is a necessary part of our job, whether we do it ourself or let somebody else do it for us. But what can we do to make money? Neurointervention? Okay, let's ask TN that frequents this board and is obviously in an academic center. Are the private guys really making a killing on this?

Botox!! Yeah, its $1200-1500 for a 200 unit vial but we don't get paid for that, we get paid for the chemodenervation code, which amounts to squat!!

For Botox, we have to prove that a patient failed numerous headache therapies, actually has 15 or more headaches per month, fill out gobs of paperwork, etc etc. Yet, I watch pain doctors shove an epidural into a patient without hardly any documentation and get reimbursed four figures for something that fails most of the time.

What do we get paid for exactly? Well, we get paid to think for our complex patients. This does not amount to much at the end of the day.

It is disheartening to think that I could be down at an urgent care knocking out four DOT physicals in the time that it takes to see one neurology patient and make twice as much money.

So, hey, that brings up the next point. What ever happened to the AAN's big kick to push neurology as a "primary care" specialty so that we get paid for thinking?

I believe that is part of DD214's (and most of our) frustration. We have a society that we basically have to buy off our MOC and I am frankly sick of emails and postal mailings asking to donate to BrainPAC!!! So, what are they doing for us?

Okay, so enough venting. I will come back for a moment. Neurology is an academic specialty, a thinking man's specialty if you will. It can be fun and enjoyable and I do enjoy my "victories" whenever they occur. It will never be a high paying specialty in comparison to others out there but you can make a viable living doing this. I feel that the "sky is falling" warnings that you see are because in the field of medicine as a whole, we are all uncertain as to what will happen next?

Come on, raise your hand if you are with me on this. Everybody here went to college for at least four years, medical school for four years, and there is not a medical specialty out there with a residency less than three years. You give up your 20's and 30's, the best years of your life to take out six figures in loans, live in poverty, all while enduring the costs that the other average American faces (childcare, your own medical care, mortgages, car loans, credit cards, food, clothing, etc). So someday, you are in your mid-30's to early 40's before you finally make the "big buck". Hey, I was 35 before I made my first fat paycheck. So now the government views you as "rich" and taxes the hell out of you without any consideration that over the years you racked up a large debt without defaulting.

Come on, raise your hand if you are with me on this. Everybody here went to college for at least four years, medical school for four years, and there is not a medical specialty out there with a residency less than three years. You give up your 20's and 30's, the best years of your life to take out six figures in loans, live in poverty, all while enduring the costs that the other average American faces (childcare, your own medical care, mortgages, car loans, credit cards, food, clothing, etc). So someday, you are in your mid-30's to early 40's before you finally make the "big buck". Hey, I was 35 before I made my first fat paycheck. So now the government views you as "rich" and taxes the hell out of you without any consideration that over the years you racked up a large debt without defaulting.

*hand raised*

Going to avoid delving into my own beliefs about government and taxes, but bustbones26 hit it on the head for me. (I still love medicine, but this is something that really ticks me off).

I think it's interesting that the negative voices of neurology sound a bit louder than they do in psychiatry. Which conforms to the surveys for overall satisfaction rates.

don't psychiatrists have some of the highest rates of physician suicide? then again, that could have to do with the psych comorbidities that people interested in psych might have to begin with.

funny you should mention this, as I have a theory that some of the unhappiest neurologists are the ones who dread the overlap with psych (including having to spend so much time with certain pts).

however, in a profession where you have some of the greatest morbidity, it's unrealistic to not want to deal with psych aspects of care.
I've met a lot of neurologists who told me they have the HARDEST time getting a shrink to see their patients...

don't psychiatrists have some of the highest rates of physician suicide? then again, that could have to do with the psych comorbidities that people interested in psych might have to begin with.

funny you should mention this, as I have a theory that some of the unhappiest neurologists are the ones who dread the overlap with psych (including having to spend so much time with certain pts).

however, in a profession where you have some of the greatest morbidity, it's unrealistic to not want to deal with psych aspects of care.
I've met a lot of neurologists who told me they have the HARDEST time getting a shrink to see their patients...

There is no solid data on physician suicides as they are such rare events. And while I've seen that the divorce rates are higher for psychiatrists in a very old data set, the suicide bit is complete heresay. Drawing associations from retrospective data to suggest causality is problematic. All I'm pointing out is that at the attending level it's widely acknowledged that psychiatrists have better lifestyle and higher satisfaction ratings. And if u check this thread the attendings writing sound a bit dissatisfied. People over at psych are talking about working 20 hours a week and making 110k. The lifestyle perspective is just not the same.

The reason that it is difficult to have a neurology patient seen by psychiatry is that psychiatry is so in demand right now a lot of psychiatrists don't take Medicare and those who do have long waiting lists. Neurologists can't refuse Medicare because they mostly see elderly patients whereas psychiatrists often see younger working adults with better insurance.

I dunno...happiness is a choice. i'm not convinced that a movement disorders specialist, epileptologist, sleep specialist, headache specialist, behavioral neurologist, ms specialist is vastly more prone to being unhappy doing what they do compared to psychiatrists... with plenty of pts that are not medicare dependent...
I've seen plenty of neurologists with laid back practices and lifestyles, save maybe the ncc and vascular guys, but even then.... the 20 hours you mention can also vary vastly in the stressors and demands of its settings, from prison psychiatry aspd to ed psych malingering/making demands/acting out, to addiction psych's constant limit setting, to misguided magic pill seeking parents of young children vs children/spouses of elderly demented pts with behavioral outburst who have unrealistic expectations, to the joys of cluster b.
in sum, psychiatry is not that low stress. one unexpected tough psych patient in your day can equate to four non psych patients, in joules. that's arbitrary, of course, but you can see what I'm getting at.
even ed docs may work 3-4 days a week but the intensity could make it such that they have to recover the rest of the week. it's all relative.

There is no solid data on physician suicides as they are such rare events. And while I've seen that the divorce rates are higher for psychiatrists in a very old data set, the suicide bit is complete heresay. Drawing associations from retrospective data to suggest causality is problematic. All I'm pointing out is that at the attending level it's widely acknowledged that psychiatrists have better lifestyle and higher satisfaction ratings. And if u check this thread the attendings writing sound a bit dissatisfied. People over at psych are talking about working 20 hours a week and making 110k. The lifestyle perspective is just not the same.

The reason that it is difficult to have a neurology patient seen by psychiatry is that psychiatry is so in demand right now a lot of psychiatrists don't take Medicare and those who do have long waiting lists. Neurologists can't refuse Medicare because they mostly see elderly patients whereas psychiatrists often see younger working adults with better insurance.

I don't know about other regions in the US, but my neuro attending used to work 20 hrs a week and easily made over 100K in his private practice but only switched to academic med 5 yrs ago so that he could work just 2 days a week as he plans to retire soon. Is this sort of lifestyle still not possible in the neuro world? I'm sure there are non academic neuros out there who work part time like the psychs do and still make around 110K or more.

Reading this is like reading a younger version of myself. Thanks for the memories. And the good thing is that they aren't entirely memories. I was one of those people for whom neurology is not just a good fit - its the only fit. I could tolerate other areas, but nothing attracted me other than neurology. Being the only one in a room to understand why and how a complex case boils down to a single lesion and a single etiology is a great feeling.

I didn't try to like radiology enough. I didn't try to like highly paying fields where I always felt there wasn't much useful activity being done. I hated surgery, didn't get along with the thoughtless surgeons and listless and aggro surgical residents I encountered - a majority as it happened.

Everything neuro was cool. You get to extend neuroscience into a clinical setting. You get to see people with brain lesions, which is endlessly fascinating to me still. You get to help people in very real ways, I never understood why people say you can't do anything for neurology patients. That's true in Alzheimer's disease, but utterly untrue in seizure disorders, MS, headaches (unless you're seeing people in a HA clinic or impoverished place). While stroke is still hard, it is incredibly gratifying to see someone go from NIHSS 15 to 3 after IV tPA delivered within 1.5 hours of their stroke onset. Sometimes help is just putting a name on their problem, and as I said, diagnosis is still the name of the game in neurology, and that name is more than anyone else did for them.

There's a lot of talk about money on this thread. Personally I'm happy with what I make considering how much I work. When I'm on call I've been called to the ER early, and I've seen the OB and surgery attendings starting their day: too early for me. When not on call I see patients 4 days a week. Call is something else of course. But every year I'm happy with what I've earned. Is it radiology good? Of course not. If your money imperatives are so important that you'd trade in a financially comfortable life doing something you might really enjoy to make more money doing something you might enjoy less, then neurology is not for you. That's actually one of the best things about neurology, IMO. We all had the grades and scores the very high earning professions (with some very rare exceptions, there are stupid neurologists), but at some point we chose neurology.

I would be remiss if I didn't addend my last post to address some problems I see in medicine, so I'd like to add that now.

Medicine in general and neurology in particular is going through change. While I encourage people like Thama to pursue their desire, neurology is not for all. Some people seem to find themselves in neurology as a default, through no particular interest, attraction, aptitude, or fit. It's just not medicine, not surgery, and the lifestyle is OK. And you get to help people.

I do not recommend neurology for these people!!!! For those people (and if I were one of them) I'd recommend doing a highly lucrative specialty - perhaps part time. Even if you hate it - it's only part time and you're still going to make enough to live on and pay back loans.

The thing is that neurology is highly susceptible to silly little changes. So EMG/NCV's have been gutted. Botox has been gutted. Sleep is still solid - for now, but this too will change. This leaves normal neurology, which is OK but not great. The stupid medical system still rewards unneeded procedures >>>> thinking about the place of the procedure: needed or not, now or later. In an effort to correct this, they've gone after some of the low hanging procedures like NCV. Doesn't exactly feel good.

This conversation should keep going.... Or maybe everyone spoke their minds already. Regardless, the bump I give. For the record, I'm currently in my 2nd wave of "I'm gonna be a neurologist" phase of M2. It pumps me up for Step1 studies at least.

wow this conversation started like 1 yr ago. But can anyone chime in to the current reality? Has the fear really come true like what's stated above by those attending or? thank you! B/c honestly, I have a butt load of loans to pay...

Probably too soon to completely tell. It's all in the haps now or to be. But I think that's the case across all fields. I'm just a student, but I say pick your field based on what stokes the fire, not the chips they throw your way.

Anyhow, would be good to hear what some of the neurologists here have to say. That conversation just sort of met a dead end up there… but like one of those dead ends where they decided to stop road construction for no apparent reason. (Maybe there was an endangered frog in the upcoming forest they had to tear down <-- Jersey reference Rt 18)

Late third year, strongly considering neuro:

Always was interested in neuro because I thought it offered more questions than answers. Sometimes I would daydream about being part of some of the next big discoveries in the field. Then MS2 neuro module hit. I didn't hate it as much as most, but I definitely thought it was taught in an uninspired and often confusing way. I also did some basic research in Huntington's - and while I appreciated the concepts - I really did not enjoy doing bench research (probably something to do with doing westerns for 6 weeks day after day). This really put a ding in my thoughts about neuro.

MS3 year I actually enjoyed IM, but my favorite moment in it, and perhaps most memorable of the clinical years, was getting to know a patient who had developed Wernicke's encephalopathy. There were also a slew of other patients with neuro conditions which my residents let me closely follow as they saw I was very interested in that area. I was also considering radiology at that time, but after my rads rotation I felt like the only thing I was interested in was neuroradiology, and even only then I wanted it to be an asset I could use, not the primary focus. Even though I'm not the biggest people person, I really found out that I do enjoy seeing patients vs. sitting in dark rooms or performing IR.

I'll just put this out there now about my neuro rotation -- definitely did not enjoy this as much as my IM rotation. I thought it was poorly structured and residents and some attendings were not willing to really teach much. I felt like I was in the way. Nonetheless I learned A LOT. I always thought myself to be about average or above in intelligence, but there were definitely many times where I was confused and uncertain about findings and making a diagnosis... but I would always try find out the reasoning behind the situation. And as in some other rotations, where finding the answer was a chore no less boring than repeatedly cutting sutures at 1cm lengths for 4 hours, in neuro I really did not mind and actually enjoyed learning and piecing things together. I also noticed in every rotation since, I would take a special interest in neuro patients. It's still not getting old. I'm now coming to the end of my third year and looking forward to starting some neuro AIs and using the knowledge and skills I've gained to make simple and rare diagnoses alike.

That being said, there are definitely areas of neuro I like more than others. I'm not terribly fond of general outpatient neuro or stroke (which is a huge part). I've taken some interest in epilepsy and seizures as I feel like there is a good balance of clinic time, procedures, and generally good outcomes in terms of treatment. Whatever I do in neuro, I'd like to one day be able to teach the next generation about it- I feel like a lot of students would really like neuro if it was made more relevant and taught in a more exciting way. Still a lot of questions for me such as how will I adopt research into my career (for some reason I really want to enjoy it and feel like its necessary) and what else I may be interested in in neuro, but I suppose I have plenty of time in residency for that..

I'm an MS4 finishing up medical school, having matched into neurology.

I was one of those people who got interested in the human brain in high school. Having to deal with some traumatic personal issues, I was fascinated how an organ system could not only organize and centrally control human physiology but also through synaptic interconnections form an individual personality. Initially, I was taken with the glamour of "brain surgery" but though I thoroughly enjoyed scrubbing in on skull base surgery, cerebrovascular surgery, and tumor resections, I just couldn't stand anything spine. I much rather found that I preferred solving the localize-the-lesion puzzle. I enjoyed all my rotations, medicine and surgery alike, but couldn't shake how much I loved neurology. The only other specialty that came close was radiology, and much for the same reasons - diagnosing and solving an anatomical puzzle. But didn't enjoy body imaging as much as I enjoyed neuroradiology. LOVED IR, however.

Neurology has so many different facets to it - everything from dementia to critical care, and so much of the human brain is still waiting to be discovered/uncovered. It's always challenging and (no pun intended) very cerebral work. I loved the acuity and philosophical nature of the critical care unit - you deal with the sickest patients in a very hands-on way, help patients and families cope with life altering events, even accompany patients as they leave the world.

Looking back, I suppose I could have been happy doing neurosurgery or radiology... but nothing even comes close to how good of a fit neurology was for me.

Reactions: 1 users