Why would you work for Rite Aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staphylcoccus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone can speak from personal experience or tell me something unique about Rite Aid in comparison to other retails?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Their stock price costs almost the same as a roll of toilet paper and is about as useful?

Anyone can speak from personal experience or tell me something unique about Rite Aid in comparison to other retails?

Thank you.

Why would you work for Rite Aid, WAGS, CVS, etc...? All of them are soul sucking experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do it. Rite Aid sucks. They totally sold out professionalism. Have fun giving $5 gift cards for being rushed and not getting everything done in 15 minutes because you were counseling a patient with metastatic cancer (speaking from experience). People don't give a ****. They only care about themselves. You'll have people wanting the 15 Minute Guarantee through the drive thru also. Rite Aid attracts the rejects from all the other chains. You'll be price matching drugs, including controlled substances all day. By far this has to be the worst drug store chain. They will cut back your tech hours so much they will suck your life dry. Everyone that works there is trying to get out of that place.

I'm sure this would be asked during the interview though....

I'm sure this would be asked during the interview though....

It is not a good sign when there is literally nothing positive to say about the company. They are a sinking ship that is doing everything they can do to torture their staff and further ruin retail pharmacy on their way down.

Do you want a serious answer or an "interview" answer?

Serious: I intern there because no one else wants to hire me. The Philly area is saturated. Plus they pay more than many other chains.

Interview: I don't think I'm going to interview at Wrong Aid for a pharmacist position, so N/A. I may interview so they keep me around as an intern for a little longer so I can pay for midyear.

So you can go on message boards and complain about it?

:laugh:

If you are asking why you would work for a chain vs. starting an independent then it is a matter of risk. While the job quality and revenue potential are much greater with an independent, there is also greater risk in the form of potential lawsuits (since you are liable for costs due to malpractice- although of course you can and probably should buy insurance [another cost]) as well as the business not performing. With Rite Aid or a similar company, you are pretty much guaranteed your pay even if the store doesn't make much (unless the store closes and you are laid off, but that is a lower chance). At the end of the day it depends on what type of person you are and how risk averse you are. Some people would rather not take the additional liabilities and risk on or might not be so into the business aspects of running an independent. Others, might think it is a great opportunity and try it out.

I just saw yesterday that two of the rite-aids in my area are looking for pharm techs. I was kind of hoping to get a part-time job for the next semester, so I almost considered it. Then I remembered; it's rite-aid. I'd rather clean toilets. At least the **** doesn't come flying at you and stays in one place there.

$$$$ and running an independent is a lot of extra hours.

retail pharmacy is not the only path in pharmacy....Why spend 30-40 years being miserable and never being challenged...? The $$$ really isn't any better, I make the same or more than most of my retail friends and vacation package much better.

Why would anyone want to work for Rite Aid?

I'm just throwing this out their but,.... I dunno, they have loans to pay and its a job????

retail pharmacy is not the only path in pharmacy....Why spend 30-40 years being miserable and never being challenged...? The $$$ really isn't any better, I make the same or more than most of my retail friends and vacation package much better.

Hospital? Military? Government?

All have their drawbacks. Ultimately, its personal preference, and I don't want to be challenged. I just want to work less and make more, regardless of the career path.

Hospital? Military? Government?

All have their drawbacks. Ultimately, its personal preference, and I don't want to be challenged. I just want to work less and make more, regardless of the career path.

Hospital and ambulatory care, day shift. It is someone's preference to work in a fish bowl dealing with insurance BS all day while not using the majority of their education?

Hospital and ambulatory care, day shift. It is someone's preference to work in a fish bowl dealing with insurance BS all day while not using the majority of their education?

We didn't all go to school so we can enter orders in a basement all day, some of us want to have direct patient interacts. :rolleyes:

Generilizing is fun! ;)

We didn't all go to school so we can enter orders in a basement all day, some of us want to have direct patient interacts. :rolleyes:

Generilizing is fun! ;)

I know it is a generalization but when it comes to chain retail, it is more true than not.

I agree though order entry in basement is lame. I'm happy that we have second floor and cpoe. I do relief at an indepedent too, I'm strong supporter of their role in the community and pt care.

If you are making considerably more coin, then yes hahahahaha.

As far as using the majority of their education, I would venture that a PhD would be a better route. All of the pharmacists that I've met in retail have told me that they did it for the money primarily (8 plus people), and that they were fairly satisfied.

Why would you work for Rite Aid, WAGS, CVS, etc...? All of them are soul sucking experiences.

well...at least wags and CVS aren't on the verge of bankruptcy.

ah hell, the OP should work for rite-aid, you'll end up working for another chain after any acquisition anyway.

just make sure you have 1 paycheck minimum saved up because when they go bankrupt, you'll be an unsecured creditor, and your last ~2 weeks of work will go unpaid.

You will find that your priorities will change over the course of time. When I got out I worked for the chains,transferred regularly in order to get sign-on bonuses,worked mad overtime and paid off my loans and saved alot of money. I now am able to move on to a better environment which pays a little less but is more satisfying. The advantage of working for Rite Aid is that if you are a good pharmacist it is easy to stand out. If they are in danger of going bankrupt another chain will buy them and you'll be fine. Bottom line is to have a plan to eventually free yourself from the miserable working conditions present at the big chains.