Why you should not go to medical school

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friends and family or ... just become a doctor ?

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/abinaz...go-to-medical-school-a-gleefully-biased-rant/

I have a dream that one day I can enjoy a date.

I have a dream that one day I will get married

I have a dream that one day I will get spend the time with my kids and wife

I have a dream that one day I can bring a steady income back to my family

I have a dream today.

why-delay.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just saw this posted in the pre-allo forum too. Scary stuff but it all still sounds strangely familiar :laugh:

Aww shoot. I read on other posts how the pharmacist profession was becomming saturated, so I was considering becoming a doctor...until now lol...Dentistry is still good right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aww shoot. I read on other posts how the pharmacist profession was becomming saturated, so I was considering becoming a doctor...until now lol...Dentistry is still good right?

If by "good" you mean not overly saturated, then yes.

I have never heard of Pharm now becoming saturated, but, eh, I kind of believe it to an extent. Very good profession, tons of money right out of Pharm school. :thumbup:

Dentists make the same, probably more. Not something that I have too much interest in though.

Yea I think dentists make more and work more regular hours. In the Pharmacy forum they talk about new schools opening up to fill empty positions, and when they are all full, those schools will still be pumping out students. I don't like the thought of becoming a dentist too much, but I'd like to go into the health care field and be sure that I'd have a job after college.

I still pharmacy depends a lot on location too... I'd imagine it's really saturated in bigger cities, but if you relocate you shouldn't have much of a problem finding a job. I don't think moving would be a huge deal to me personally though, since I've been doing it all my life. But you never know. *shrugs*

There still seemed to be plenty of jobs in San Antonio and the military bases...

I still pharmacy depends a lot on location too... I'd imagine it's really saturated in bigger cities, but if you relocate you shouldn't have much of a problem finding a job. I don't think moving would be a huge deal to me personally though, since I've been doing it all my life. But you never know. *shrugs*

There still seemed to be plenty of jobs in San Antonio and the military bases...

As with most health-care careers is all depends on location. There's plenty of primary-care docs in the cities but there's a huge shortage of them in rural settings. To jvanewportnews...even if pharmacy is becoming "saturated" finding a job in any health-care sector is always much easier than finding a job in virtually any other sector, including vocational sectors in this kind of economy. And though this article was taking about medical school, I'd imagine that dental school is equally as rigorous and thus will present many of the same problems in terms of friends/relationships that medical school does. The tradeoff is of course the lifestyle of dentistry is usually much better and one doesn't nessicarily have to be a resident (unless you want to do dental surgery/othodonistry) but then again I don't know that much about dentistry.

I can definetly say that dental students still have the same "during school" issues as medicine, but luckily you don't have to be slave labor, and can start making 100k right off the bat if you really wanted to. But it's very true that it's hard to hold down a relationship during dental school, but I have seen many married people with kids go through just fine.

As far as saturation, it really depends on the area. My area in southern California has about 3 dentists per square block.

But as far as all of the patient related problems in that blog, for the most part you don't get those in dental. You can form very positive relations with your patients, and very often you can spend as much time as you need to perform the treatment you think will be best.