why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arctic Char

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i can understand why someone would want to be a derm. and i understand that derm is very competitive - but i don't think i understand why. i have a hard time believing that the nature of the work requires the highest level of competence or technical ability in medicine (which the match statistics could lead someone to believe).

on the lifestyle issue, doesn't it seem ironic that all the most ambitious and competitive and hard working people want the most chill and least demanding field of work?

is it simply a supply and demand issue?

i seriously am not trying to push anyone's buttons here, and if i have, i apologize. i am just trying to get some insight on why its so competitive. thanks to anyone who responds

Members don't see this ad.

The fact that derm is a highly competitive field doesn't mean it requires the greatest/brightest/sharpest minds.

It just means that there aren't very many slots available and many people want them. Why?

Well you already answered it: lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle.

The hospital that my school is affiliated with offers a derm residency where the residents work 40 hours a week.

As such, many students are tempted to work hard now in order to secure that more relaxing residency position later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with what has been posted.

Because there is such a limited number of spots and so many applicants, PD of dermatology residencies pretty much have their pick of med students. And if I were a PD, I'd want the brightest and best minds working for me too.

BTW, nice avatar DarrVao777 :)

Umm...yea...you're going to have move into the storage closet

I'm doing an elective in derm... You do see a lot of very interesting pathology... but it does get a little boring at times... very chill month so far.

A lot of Derm can be pretty routine. Inflammations etc. However, you can be faced with some pretty baffling cases sometimes, and then of course there's the whole melanoma issue, which can be enigmatic to even the most experienced. Heck, I've seen some of the most experienced derms and dermpaths in the world, be hugely uncertain about how to dx a melanoma more times than I care to remember.

That being said, the competitiveness of Derm is, as noted by other posters, basically explained by supply and demand. Derm is on average well-compensated, has reasonable working hours, and high status, not least because of its competitiveness. It's not really a question of raw brain power or comprehensive medical training being a requirement for the practise of Dermatology. Arguably, it takes more raw brain power to become a nuclear physicist or mathematician than to become a physician. Yet it's considerably harder to become the latter.

Thus, if compensation in the future should depreciate considerably, while working hours would go up, you'd be likely to see that competitiveness would decrease.

Still, one of the nice things about Derm is that you generally find that you'll work with pretty intelligent, well-trained and dedicated people, which is certainly an added benefit. (though of course Derm also has its share of obnoxious personalities).

The scarcity of spots is something that really shocked me. I had no idea that most programs accept 2 students a year. I've heard from older students that some only accept 1. The ones that accept 2 a year still interview 40-50 students a year.

I think that probably discourages me from this field more than anything else. Even if I did have the amazing grades, research, letters, board scores, etc... etc...to secure an interview, do I have the charisma/personality/ability to impress the interviewer? How can anyone show that they deserve a spot more than the 48 other geniuses in a 15 minute interview?

Of course, this whole problem could be eliminated depending on how I do on Step 1. First things first right? :)

A lot of the best students have the "I am happy to work hard now, so that I do not have to do so later" mentality. On the one hand, it's ironic (as you mentioned) and, frankly, a bit sad that many of the best student (who are the most motivated, diligent, etc.) are, indeed, the laziest, in the sense that they want lucrative specialties which are not very demanding (i.e. Derm, ENT, Ophtho, Anethesia somewhat, Radiology, etc.). On the other hand, it is a practical view point. If one can have a job where he or she works less hours and does not have a very difficult job while making the same (or, in many cases, more) money than most other people in their professions... Why the hell not? It's kinda like, why work longer hours (and more difficult work) for less money when you can have better hours (and easier work) for more money? I think this fact is a bit disheartening, from an indealistic viewpoint. However, from a practical standpoint, it makes sense, so I'm not the least bit surprised. Dermatology, therefore, is appealing to Medical Students b/c (amongst other reasons) i. the pay is good, ii. the hours are nice, iii. there ar very few, if any emergencies, iv. it is almost all outpatient (you won't get too many calls/pages once you leave the office), v. it's image/looks oriented, for those who value that highly, vi. if you add in cosmetics, you can make a ton of money, vii. your patients aren't really that sick. Thus, Derm is appealing to may students and, as mentioned earlier, there are not that many spots relative to the interest, making it very difficult to match into.