Why?

Started by danqa
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

danqa

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I'm new here. I intend to be pre-med, but I am a bit curious about some of the other health professions as well. I started this thread to find out why the optometrists on this board became optometrists. I don't want to start any fighting, just generally curious. I know a lot of people who say "I always wanted to be a doctor...ever since I was five"- is it the same with any of you? Do you have a great passion for eyes? Well, if you could tell me what factors influenced your decision to choose optometry, rather than medicine,dentistry, veterinary, medical, chiropractic or podiatric schools I'd really appreciate it. You'll probably see me posing this question on the other boards.

-Danielle
 
hi, i think for a lot of people their shadowing experience was a great way to peer into optometry. i got involved with the help of my own optometrist (working at his clinic + shadowing), doing my own research/readin journals also talking to OMD's (its quite an interesting field, with a variety of subspecialites), and also on SDN (with the application, interview, etc.).

med-school is definitely awesome, with plenty of opportunities (residencies depend on your grades i believe)--make your choice based on your passion, and you'll do great.

Tony