Why so many negative responses to optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opticalfuture

Opticqueen
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school student and i want to pursue this. Can some one tell me more on this profession that doesn't hate their job

Members don't see this ad.

ASCO: Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry | Advancing and Promoting Optometric Education
About the American Optometric Association (AOA)
http://www.optometrystudents.com/
NewGradOptometry | Daily Resources for New Optometrists

You can't hate your job if you own your own practice! I'm 5 years out and I'd say 60+% of my classmates opened their own practice. Clinical optometry is one thing, business management is another. Be prepared for both if you want a happy job that can also pay the bills.

Ok thx but you like your job??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a high school student and i want to pursue this. Can some one tell me more on this profession that doesn't hate their job
If you go into Optometry make sure you have a plan. I think most go into Optometry thinking that the will like it without any plan and then they graduate and are unsure of what to do then get stuck in some corporate job working huge hours for okay pay and just aren't overall satisfied.
I like my job but I work in private practice, work the hours that I choose, no weekends.

If you go into Optometry make sure you have a plan. I think most go into Optometry thinking that the will like it without any plan and then they graduate and are unsure of what to do then get stuck in some corporate job working huge hours for okay pay and just aren't overall satisfied.
I like my job but I work in private practice, work the hours that I choose, no weekends.

Okay thank you so much. Do you have any suggestions in which states are hiring or in demand of eye doctors becuase i am from the city houston

Okay thank you so much. Do you have any suggestions in which states are hiring or in demand of eye doctors becuase i am from the city houston
I hear Texas is fine, but a city is always harder to find a decent job compared to rural.

And didn't you say you were in high school? Just enjoy undergrad, my mind changed 2-3x while in undergrad.

I hear Texas is fine, but a city is always harder to find a decent job compared to rural.

And didn't you say you were in high school? Just enjoy undergrad, my mind changed 2-3x while in undergrad.

Yeah but i thought about optometry for a long time now and what's wrong with having a made up mind. Saves money and time. Know what you wanna do and finish school!

I enjoy Optometry, honestly. However, I don't know that I could recommend getting into it now. The return on investment today is questionable. If you're in High School now, I'll assume you're a Junior or Senior, by the time you get out of undergrad and OD school you could easily be $300k+ in debt. Currently it's about $250k or so. The median income is about $117k a year. New OD salaries hover around $85k or so, this number has not changed much in the last decade. In Health Care overall reimbursements have gone down. It's possible in 8 years starting income will go up, but I don't see it going up much. Maybe $90k. Obviously some new ODs make more than this, but you have to assume the average for planning purposes.

There are other factors as well, such as opening new schools (this is a really dumb one in my opinion), market saturation, online retailers, decreasing reimbursements, etc.

Obviously if you end up having good scholarships, parental help, or a working spouse, you can keep your debt down. But not everyone has those luxuries.

If you're interested looking in Health Care consider: RN, RNP, PA or CRNA. In many cases these programs are short and partially, if not completely, paid for depending on where you work.

Last edited:
I enjoy Optometry, honestly. However, I don't know that I could recommend getting into it now. The return on investment today is questionable. If you're in High School now, I'll assume you're a Junior or Senior, by the time you get out of undergrad and OD school you could easily be $300k+ in debt. Currently it's about $250k or so. The median income is about $117k a year. New OD salaries hover around $85k or so, this number has not changed much in the last decade. In Health Care overall reimbursements have gone down. It's possible in 8 years starting income will go up, but I don't see it going up much. Maybe $90k. Obviously some new ODs make more than this, but you have to assume the average for planning purposes.

There are other factors as well, such as opening new schools (this is a really dumb one in my opinion), market saturation, online retailers, decreasing reimbursements, etc.

Obviously if you end up having good scholarships, parental help, or a working spouse, you can keep your debt down. But not everyone has those luxuries.

If you're interested looking in Health Care consider: RN, RNP, PA or CRNA. In many cases these programs are short and partially, if not completely, paid for depending on where you work.

Thanks but I can't see myself as a nurse I will apply for financial aid and have a part time job in undergrad. I'm in a program where I'm getting college credit. Same thing with doctors (md) they will be in debt too longer time because of school and I believe it's also about networking I do not believe this is a dying profession

Thanks but I can't see myself as a nurse I will apply for financial aid and have a part time job in undergrad. I'm in a program where I'm getting college credit. Same thing with doctors (md) they will be in debt too longer time because of school and I believe it's also about networking I do not believe this is a dying profession

I don't believe it's a dying profession. My point was the ROI may not be worth it.

You have to realize that MDs, in general, make WAY more $$ than ODs, regardless of specialty. Owing $300k in student loans while making $300k a year is easier to handle than owing $300k in student loans and making $100k a year. It's just the economics of it.

If you can get out of undergrad and OD school with minimal debt, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd at least explore your alternatives.

I don't believe it's a dying profession. My point was the ROI may not be worth it.

You have to realize that MDs, in general, make WAY more $$ than ODs, regardless of specialty. Owing $300k in student loans while making $300k a year is easier to handle than owing $300k in student loans and making $100k a year. It's just the economics of it.

If you can get out of undergrad and OD school with minimal debt, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd at least explore your alternatives.

I think i will because im in a community college program at my high school and will apply dkr scholarships work study and etc. I mean either where going to be in debt. My dad told me as long you're in America you will have debt